PDA

View Full Version : King Cobra shifting woes....

CaribouLou
04-27-2010, 12:08 AM
I'm having an issue with my drive going into gear (fwd, not reverse). I've replaced the shift cables, and adjusted everything, and it just never wants to go into fwd smoothly.

From what I've read, I'm guessing its a cone clutch issue? I've heard you can de-glaze them sometimes, anyone have any experience with this?

I also have an issue when running it VERY hard, sometimes the drive slips out of gear, I know not good.

Any good King Cobra advice?

MOP
04-27-2010, 06:45 AM
De-glazing should be about the same as we did on Volvo's, the Volvo inboard transmissions basically had the same cone as the I/Os. Some of the guys that used them commercially would glaze the cones, we would lap the cones back into the cups with valve grinding compound. It is not that big a deal but required taking them fully apart and very careful cleaning afterward. The I/Os rarely glazed but I feel that was due to the lighter usage, only did a few of those. It can be done in about 4-5 hours you should have the manual at your side, also handy is your digital. Pictures do not lie when reassembling, takes the guess work out of it. Be careful not to damage shims, there can be several depending on setup. The cones labyrinth groves must be in decent shape or it will need to be replaced, it should look like the one in the manual if the groves are to shallow it is shot! Phil

CaribouLou
04-27-2010, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the de-glazing info.

Am I looking in the right direction though? Is the cone clutch the issue? The drive has under 170hrs on it.

undertaker
04-27-2010, 05:37 PM
Not a expert at all but I believe Dr. Dan had the same issue and it was a cone clutch.....PM him he can fill you in....... in my old age I cant remember if he had trouble with forward or reverse its been a couple yrs since he had an issue with his...:pimp:

CaribouLou
04-27-2010, 06:25 PM
Just got a quote for 700-800 bucks to replace the cone clutch...seem fair?

VetteLT193
04-27-2010, 07:21 PM
I had looked at a ton of OMC boats and it is in my nature to research beyond belief.

I seem to remember something about flipping the clutch upside down if it is glazed and it would be ok again.

I have zero experience tearing down OMC stuff so take it for what it is worth... just something to research that might save you some dough.

CaribouLou
04-27-2010, 08:17 PM
I figure 399 for a new clutch and 400 for labor, I might as well pay for the new part, instead of having to pay twice for labor....am I thinking straight?