PDA

View Full Version : buying a new vehicle...need input

Donzi Vol
04-26-2010, 08:19 PM
Ok, so the company car is going away and the truck is not up to the 1000 miles/week work driving anymore. I get a car allowance, so I'm cool with spending a little cash, but want to get a late-model pre-owned SUV.

I need an SUV for the purpose of hauling food/product in my job, and naturally it must be a tow vehicle :yes: :boat:

I want a 4WD. I know the debate on that, but I'm sold on 4WD.

I'm thinking about a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Any thoughts on that pick or any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
David

CaribouLou
04-26-2010, 08:34 PM
Grands are good, especially with V8 power.

Are you thinking brand new, or slightly used? Also can look for a '07ish CRD diesel Grand that will get awesome milage.

HTH

Donzi Vol
04-26-2010, 08:59 PM
Hmmm...Diesel...that might be good. I didn't know that they made one. Good fuel mileage is definitely a consideration, but it's hard to find something with good mileage that I like.

And I'm looking slightly used. I prefer someone else take the "off the lot" hit rather than me.

VetteLT193
04-26-2010, 09:08 PM
They made a diesel Liberty as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-Liberty-4x4-DIESEL-38k-one-owner-maroon-sport-4cyl_W0QQitemZ140400961817QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Ca rs_Trucks?hash=item20b08ca919

The 4x4 Grand Cherokee has an automatic 4x4 system (unless something changed) and the MPG sucked. May as well get a bigger vehicle like an Excursion or Navigator because you'll suck the same amount of gas.

I like the GM 4WD stuff better though...

Would an Avalanche suit your job? the back is sealed. My father in law has one and it is an awesome truck.

Donzi Vol
04-26-2010, 09:21 PM
They made a diesel Liberty as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-Liberty-4x4-DIESEL-38k-one-owner-maroon-sport-4cyl_W0QQitemZ140400961817QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Ca rs_Trucks?hash=item20b08ca919

The 4x4 Grand Cherokee has an automatic 4x4 system (unless something changed) and the MPG sucked. May as well get a bigger vehicle like an Excursion or Navigator because you'll suck the same amount of gas.

I like the GM 4WD stuff better though...

Would an Avalanche suit your job? the back is sealed. My father in law has one and it is an awesome truck.

Yeah, I recall that system. Makes sense that that would make the fuel mileage so bad. It might still be the same situation.

I'm not a big fan of the liberty. The company car that I'm offloading is a Ford Escape, and I haven't loved it simply because of the small size and weak 4cyl motor. I'm used to larger, faster things (like my girls...j/k).

I haven't thought about the Avalanche before, but I'll look into it. It would definitely work for the job, given the sealed bed.

BUIZILLA
04-26-2010, 09:28 PM
we have direct family that own about 4-5 dealerships in Kville...

GMC
Buick
Jeep
Dodge
Honda

few others

diesel Grands are climbing up in value... couldn't piss on them 2 years ago....

I recently bought a 4wd Tahoe and i'm less than impressed with the pulling power for my style... actually shopping again right now... never should have traded the Dmax... pretty bummed... should have bought a 400hp Denali... V10 F250 on the hit list now..

glashole
04-26-2010, 09:33 PM
i really like my explorer, V8, works real nice
pulled the 22 to lake george and back last year

gas mileage isn't ll that great however

have you been in a v6 escape?
the seem to have more room for the driver than the explorer (for full figured gentleman)

mrfixxall
04-26-2010, 11:13 PM
if i were to buy a newer vehicle i would probably get a 07 dodge 2500 crew cab long bed,,a buddy has one and he gets 17 mpg around town and 22+ on the highway,throw a cap on the back to protect the goody's..i have driving it and it will pull the tires off any ford or Chevy,,,,,by all means in a Chevy guy but this truck is really nice and its got balls..

CaribouLou
04-27-2010, 12:37 AM
Diesel grands are awesome.....but you can't go wrong with a full size Cummins.

I tow my 22' with a 600hp 12v Cummins, I haven't had any issues, and am still avg around 17mpg towing :wink:

The Hedgehog
04-27-2010, 08:37 AM
I have no experience with the diesel Grand but it sounds like it could warrant consideration.

I have a V-8 non diesel grand. Other than the A/C getting kind of crazy on me a few times, I have had no problems with it. Vette is on the money with the fuel consumption thing though.

If you really want a tow machine, I would consider a diesel truck with a camper shell. You can tow and haul food. At your age and single status a SUV may have more appeal though.

glashole
04-27-2010, 09:17 AM
in all honestly an F150 would have more than enough balls to pull whatever you might run into and they are great trucks

handfulz28
04-27-2010, 09:42 AM
Get a disposable for work. At 1000miles/week you're not going to want to keep it more than 2-4yrs.

Otherwise, I'm partial to Chevy/GMC products. Good friend has a '01 Tahoe 2WD 5.3L w/3.73s that gets 20+mpg hwy @ 70mph. He's got a big Whaler CC that he pulls with no problems. My '99 Silverado NBS and '01 Yukon XL never gave me problems even at 20k miles/year. I'm looking at '04-05 Suburban/Yukon XLs these days. I don't like the new car depreciation either.

The Hedgehog
04-27-2010, 05:49 PM
I have fooled with the disposable car idea.

By the time you store two vehicles, insurance, maintenance etc. I have not completely done the math but if you have a diesel truck that knocks on 20 mpg and is good for 250-300k miles. Well you get the pic.

It basically got down to the whole problem with driving something that is not really me. To really work I would need to be getting 40mpg or so.

Light duty trucks are fine for towing your boat. They have more than enough power. That being said, I have 185k miles on the F-250 and other than small stuff, I have only replaced the clutch.

Talk to Tex, he has 250k miles on his.

CaribouLou
04-27-2010, 06:07 PM
I've got 206k on my '98 Dodge, and its a honest 610whp, with over 1200ft/lbs of torque.

I had 155 on my '99.5 PSD, and went thru 3 clutches. Great truck, but the Fords are much more expensive to maintain, and don't have the power or fuel economy of the 6cyl.

RedDog
04-27-2010, 08:07 PM
avoid the Jeep !!!

Kirbyvv
04-27-2010, 08:19 PM
I'm in my 3rd Grand Cherokee, 185,000 miles on this one so far (I drive alot). Aside from normal repairs, brakes, etc. the only issue I've had with this one is breaking a spring. I use it for work and drive nasty construction sites and haul the 18. I'm looking for the next vehicle too. I want the towing capacity, but the best mileage I can get. Haven't figured what to get yet. I may end up with a jeep again.

Donzi Vol
04-27-2010, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the input, guys! It's much appreciated. I definitely have a lot of homework to do.

I've also toyed with the disposable vehicle idea, but I've found it to be less than advantageous in my business. In the end, you wind up paying for something you don't use, one way or another.

As far as the trucks, I'm all about monster trucks, but using it for everything (including Hedge's "single-status" consideration), I'm thinking an SUV or standard crew cab truck is more suiting.

I drove a pathfinder tonight. It was alright, but still need to research them a little before getting serious. Anybody have any experience with them?

Buiz, thanks for the line on the dealerships in Knox. Shoot me a PM when you get a minute and let me know what dealerships your family owns. I just assume give them the business as anyone else.

The Hedgehog
04-27-2010, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the input, guys! It's much appreciated. I definitely have a lot of homework to do.

I've also toyed with the disposable vehicle idea, but I've found it to be less than advantageous in my business. In the end, you wind up paying for something you don't use, one way or another.

As far as the trucks, I'm all about monster trucks, but using it for everything (including Hedge's "single-status" consideration), I'm thinking an SUV or standard crew cab truck is more suiting.

I drove a pathfinder tonight. It was alright, but still need to research them a little before getting serious. Anybody have any experience with them?

Buiz, thanks for the line on the dealerships in Knox. Shoot me a PM when you get a minute and let me know what dealerships your family owns. I just assume give them the business as anyone else.

Man, Buiz even knows the car guys in my town.

You should give those guys a call.

mrfixxall
04-27-2010, 08:45 PM
Another vehicle im impressed with is the toyota four runner (v6 model)

has plenty of pepe and is great on gas,,i know sticky throttle:shocking: but they have it figured out..the v8 one is fast as chit but it has a timing belt which i dont care for and are a biach to do...

BUIZILLA
04-27-2010, 09:28 PM
look into a Nissan Frontier, 07-newer with a 4.0 V6...

comes in 4wd and trailer tow too, it'll surprise ya... I almost bought one last Saturday... still might...

Team Jefe
04-28-2010, 06:28 AM
Guys - I love my Cummins....umm, and the Dodge wrapped around it. But that seems like way over kill for what DV needs....then again, Overkill is a Good Thing:lookaroun:

VetteLT193
04-28-2010, 08:01 AM
I'll add that if you wind up between a Ford or GM/Chevy SUV or Truck in my experience the GM stuff gets better MPG in real life.

My father in law easily gets over 20 MPG in his Avalanche. He's got the base V8 with flex fuel. I think 5.3 liter.

CJmike
04-28-2010, 08:24 AM
I would go with GM for mileage. Co worker has a Yukon XL that is knocking down 16-17 real world mileage. Friend had a new Grand Cherokee he sold becuase of the crap mileage. 13 mpg was about what he averaged with it.

Dodge Cummins guys are the biggest liars on the internet when it comes to mileage. Hell some of em claim they need to drain the fuel off instead of add it.:wink: Either that or they all drive 50mph and barely ever touch the accelerator. But I have real world that says a cummins gets the same mileage as the others when towing a similar load side by side at the same speeds in the same conditions.

I really like my duramax for the most part. A 3/4 ton crew cab would be a sweet set up and would probable get better mileage than any of the other vehicles you listed, even the smaller sport utilities probable get worse mileage. My crew cab dually 4x4 gets around 16 daily driving it. You can add about 1.5 mpg if its not a dually. Although a few claim around 20 on the highway.

The Hedgehog
04-28-2010, 08:46 AM
I would go with GM for mileage. Co worker has a Yukon XL that is knocking down 16-17 real world mileage. Friend had a new Grand Cherokee he sold becuase of the crap mileage. 13 mpg was about what he averaged with it.

Dodge Cummins guys are the biggest liars on the internet when it comes to mileage. Hell some of em claim they need to drain the fuel off instead of add it.:wink: Either that or they all drive 50mph and barely ever touch the accelerator. But I have real world that says a cummins gets the same mileage as the others when towing a similar load side by side at the same speeds in the same conditions.

I really like my duramax for the most part. A 3/4 ton crew cab would be a sweet set up and would probable get better mileage than any of the other vehicles you listed, even the smaller sport utilities probable get worse mileage. My crew cab dually 4x4 gets around 16 daily driving it. You can add about 1.5 mpg if its not a dually. Although a few claim around 20 on the highway.

My father gets around 20 mpg with his Duramax. He claimed pretty close to that with his F-250. I do get close to 17 with the F-250.

My father in law would probably get 22 with a Duramax.

Yep, it depends on the driver.

I still think that diesel is the way to go. Done right you can get close to 20 mpg. You won't really do any better with a gas V-8 or V-6 for that matter. If you want to do much better than 20 mph, you need to go down to 4 cyl and you can't really pull with that.

KerrLake
04-28-2010, 12:04 PM
I've had three Grand Cherokees and would not buy another. I now have a Denali and it handles/tows great and has lots of power. It's pretty comfy too. I get around 18-19 on the hwy, about the same as the Jeep.

zelatore
04-28-2010, 12:27 PM
I know everybody is against the 2-car idea, but let's revisit it for a moment.

If you're really doing 1000 miles a week, it might be worth it.

But to make it work, I'd have to wonder exactly how big/how heavy the stuff you're hauling for work every day is. I say this because instead of a small SUV, which in reality probably won't have that much hauling room anyway, I'd consider a diesel Jetta wagon. You should be able to knock on 40 mpg, drive it into the dirt with relatively little maintenance/insurance cost, and then throw it away. Then you can get the tow vehicle you really want and not feel bad about spending money on updates for it since you won't be running it into the ground with all those miles.

Plus, other than the 'commanding driving position' let's be honest - cars simply drive better than trucks. And even the small VW's like the Jettta are nice cars that drive better and have higher quality interiors than most of their Japanese rivals. It'll be easier to get around through traffic, it'll handle better, it'll be easier to park or just hop in to run to the drive-through for a quick lunch.

OK, I haven't tried to do the math for total costs, and it would probably still be more expensive, but it does give you some added versatility (say you need to take one vehicle to the shop...)

During my trip in Italy/Austria, I had a small to mid size Alfa 159 wagon as a rental. It ran a small 1.9 liter turbo diesel. The car was between the size of a Jetta and Passat. I drove the heck out of it, from mountain passes to flat out on the Autobahn for about 1/2 hr straight (top speed - a touch over 130 mph) to hours of 100 mph cruising on the 'limited' stretches of autobahn/autostrasse. At the end I check the mileage; per the on-board computer I had still gotten 45 mpg. This was the smallest diesel they offered in that car and it was a little too doggy for my taste, but a little more power in a similar sized car driven here in the US where you can't run that hard should still get you some impressive economy, and at the mileage you're talking about economy might rule the day.

But hey, I'm a little wacky when it comes to cars/trucks. I'm still hoping they bring the Fiat 500 Abarth SS to the states...

handfulz28
04-28-2010, 01:43 PM
If you're really doing 1000 miles a week, it might be worth it.

Exactly...how many of you want to put that kind of seat time in a HD truck? :boggled: And "only" get 20mpg...

Forgot about the diesel VDubs; hard to go wrong. Vol, I don't know how bad that Escape 4-banger drives, but I had use of a '08 Honda CRV for a week. Sure, it's kinda like a scooter (image wise), but 30mpg on 87octante @80mph and decent pull when you need it. Now I admit it was the EX-L which is heated leather seats, but I'd drive the dog around in one of those anytime. :D

The Hedgehog
04-28-2010, 02:18 PM
You guys have good points with the cute little cars and that will work.

That being said. I just don't see Dave showing up for a date with a "cute little car" or an old tow vehicle. Maybe in 10 years from now, but not now. I may be going out on a limb, but that seems to be the way we roll down in these parts. I could pole (not literally) 10 hotties in the south and ask them how they would feel about being picked up by a guy in a jetta wagon. They would all give me a strange look. They could all see it in a F-250 though.

That idea works for someone like me as I can keep the old F-250 as a tow vehicle and can pull off the small car thing since I am not single. I would still take some flack from the wife though.

A little background on Dave. His current employer provides him with a car. I have yet to see it as he hides it on the weekend. :pimp:

zelatore
04-28-2010, 02:44 PM
You guys have good points with the cute little cars and that will work.

That being said. I just don't see Dave showing up for a date with a "cute little car" or an old tow vehicle. Maybe in 10 years from now, but not now. I may be going out on a limb, but that seems to be the way we roll down in these parts. I could pole (not literally) 10 hotties in the south and ask them how they would feel about being picked up by a guy in a jetta wagon. They would all give me a strange look. They could all see it in a F-250 though.

That idea works for someone like me as I can keep the old F-250 as a tow vehicle and can pull off the small car thing since I am not single. I would still take some flack from the wife though.

A little background on Dave. His current employer provides him with a car. I have yet to see it as he hides it on the weekend. :pimp:

Yeah, but he can get the beater VW for the daily grind, then on the weekends break out the pimp-daddy ride for the hotties. And not have to worry that the hottie will sit in some left-over week old mustard or something from last Monday's delivery. (Dave's in the restaurant food business, right? I'm just guessing here on what he might have to haul around)

Like I said, I haven't tried to do the math, but as far as the towing concerns for the average Donzi, a half-ton truck (pick your favorite brand) will certainly be up to the job. You don't need to spring for the 3/4 ton diesel, so that could be a big savings to put toward the bangin' stereo and 22" wheels...(which, btw, I have on my 1/2 dodge and don't really recommend)

The Hedgehog
04-28-2010, 02:59 PM
Yeah, but he can get the beater VW for the daily grind, then on the weekends break out the pimp-daddy ride for the hotties. And not have to worry that the hottie will sit in some left-over week old mustard or something from last Monday's delivery. (Dave's in the restaurant food business, right? I'm just guessing here on what he might have to haul around)

Like I said, I haven't tried to do the math, but as far as the towing concerns for the average Donzi, a half-ton truck (pick your favorite brand) will certainly be up to the job. You don't need to spring for the 3/4 ton diesel, so that could be a big savings to put toward the bangin' stereo and 22" wheels...(which, btw, I have on my 1/2 dodge and don't really recommend)

Don't get me wrong. I am not knocking what you are saying. It would make great sense. Dave is just not financially responsible enough for that (this one's just for you Dave)!

I do like the idea of Dave showing up in a lowered F-150 with 22" rims and some rap. Lol.

zelatore
04-28-2010, 03:02 PM
I do like the idea of Dave showing up in a lowered F-150 with 22" rims and some rap. Lol.

Well, if he's going to go that far, he might as well do it right and get an airbagged Toyota minitruck. Make it a convertible while we're at it.

Donzi Vol
04-28-2010, 05:46 PM
Wow...this thread sure got some activity! :nilly: Haha...just kidding. Seriously, thanks for the input. This really helps me bounce things around.

I like the idea of the diesel truck, but I'll just have to decide if it will work for all aspects in my life. As for the two vehicle deal, it is a commonly bounced around idea in this food sales biz that I'm in, but I've found that unless a guy can buy one for cash and finance the other, you'll never come out ahead. Eventually, you're just paying for something you're not using, one way or another.

Here's the deal on my job and the 1000 miles per week. Some weeks aren't quite as bad as others. For instance, this week will probably only be a few hundred. However, next week will probably hit 800-1000. Essentially what I do is call on restaurants and the such and convince them that the manufacturers that I represent are better than their competition. This means that I often carry samples of all different sizes, and sometimes equipment to put on shows and expos. It's weird...you really have to love it or hate it. So, all that to say that most of the miles are highway miles, thus I'm not incredibly concerned with racking up the miles on it. I just need to make sure that I'm comfortable running around town with my herum with the Donzi behind me :wink: I know...

The Hedgehog
04-29-2010, 06:16 AM
Wow...this thread sure got some activity! :nilly: Haha...just kidding. Seriously, thanks for the input. This really helps me bounce things around.

I like the idea of the diesel truck, but I'll just have to decide if it will work for all aspects in my life. As for the two vehicle deal, it is a commonly bounced around idea in this food sales biz that I'm in, but I've found that unless a guy can buy one for cash and finance the other, you'll never come out ahead. Eventually, you're just paying for something you're not using, one way or another.

Here's the deal on my job and the 1000 miles per week. Some weeks aren't quite as bad as others. For instance, this week will probably only be a few hundred. However, next week will probably hit 800-1000. Essentially what I do is call on restaurants and the such and convince them that the manufacturers that I represent are better than their competition. This means that I often carry samples of all different sizes, and sometimes equipment to put on shows and expos. It's weird...you really have to love it or hate it. So, all that to say that most of the miles are highway miles, thus I'm not incredibly concerned with racking up the miles on it. I just need to make sure that I'm comfortable running around town with my herum with the Donzi behind me :wink: I know...

Truck vs SUV. See my prop thread and think about the oil mess on the inside of an SUV

thehow33
04-29-2010, 06:34 AM
Truck vs SUV. See my prop thread and think about the oil mess on the inside of an SUV

:) at least you can laugh about it...that didn't look like something that I could laugh about. On the bright side at least stuff slides in out of the back of your truck with ease.;)

Donzi Vol I have an F150 FX4 and I love it. You should check ebay and craigslist for any trucks in your area...there are some desperate people out there right now that need the money and have to get rid their truck.....they would much rather sell it for what they owe than have it repossessed.

Ed Donnelly
04-29-2010, 07:45 AM
Why not something like this ??
My work truck and towing truck

The Hedgehog
04-29-2010, 08:21 AM
Why not something like this ??
My work truck and towing truck

Too practical. How about that Pantera?

zelatore
04-29-2010, 09:32 AM
Too practical. How about that Pantera?

The Pantera will only work if he can fit class 1 trailer hitch and tow a little cart along for his goodies. Do you think he can get speed rated 12" tires for the cart?

CHACHI
04-29-2010, 10:50 AM
The Pantera will only work if he can fit class 1 trailer hitch and tow a little cart along for his goodies. Do you think he can get speed rated 12" tires for the cart?

I am sure they will color match.

Ken

cutwater
04-29-2010, 02:52 PM
I may be going out on a limb, but that seems to be the way we roll down in these parts. I could pole (not literally) 10 hotties in the south and ask them how they would feel about being picked up by a guy in a jetta wagon. They would all give me a strange look. They could all see it in a F-250 though.

Dave, that means you gotta stop wearing turtlenecks and sipping espresso... :wink: Not sure about the gas mileage, but this could solve all your needs... http://www.watercar.com/html/watercar_python.html

Donzi Vol
04-29-2010, 06:55 PM
Dave, that means you gotta stop wearing turtlenecks and sipping espresso... :wink: Not sure about the gas mileage, but this could solve all your needs... http://www.watercar.com/html/watercar_python.html

LOL! Hilarious.

I think I have it narrowed down to:
Chevy 2500 diesel
Jeep Grand
Jeep Commander

There's not really much else that I'm getting excited about. I'll be spending the weekend in a friend's Jeep Grand on our road trip to the Buffet concert in Nashville (oh yeah...gonna be awesome!). I'll see how I feel about the Grand after that.

I've looked at the Nissan Pathfinder and Frontier, and while good looking, wasn't quite as comfortable as I'd like...unless I want to fork out a bunch of $$$ for the pimped out version!

How do you guys feel about Hummers? (easy, Hedge :wink:) I like the H3, but it has the same 5cyl motor that my Colorado has which just crapped out on me after 115k miles. That shouldn't happen in my opinion.

handfulz28
04-29-2010, 07:34 PM
Do you need the diesel? A 1/2ton extended or crew will offer plenty of room and about the same mpg. Down here in SoFla, 87 is cheaper than diesel. Not to mention saving the initial diesel premium.

The Hedgehog
04-29-2010, 08:32 PM
Hedge always enjoys a good Hummer. Never driven one though. Basically a Tahoe chassis. Did have one of those.

As one that has had both a 1/2 ton gas and a 3/4 ton diesel, well there is no comparison. Pay a little premium for a super duty truck and it will last 3-4x as long AND pull better at the same time. I did not have to do the brakes on my F-250 until 100,000 miles. It was barely broken in. My Tahoe was getting close to being done at that point.

Fuel mileage will drop towing a boat with the 1/2 ton. You will not see much difference with a SD truck. At least not pulling a 18.

Now getting back to the most important point for a single guy......Dave, have you asked some Tn hotties what they think? Cute little car vs regular truck vs mack daddy truck......bet I know the answer. If you want to prove a point, we can grab a video cam and go interview some women at the next UT game. Better yet, I will take you down to the Chatt waterfront in the Roamer and we can do it.

As a matter of fact, Christina is in. She will do the interviews if you like. She told me she knows the answer too.

Anyone care to wager?

BUIZILLA
04-29-2010, 08:44 PM
4 door Civic with a fart can....

oh, and video screens in the headrests

zelatore
04-29-2010, 08:56 PM
Nah, he needs a Prius. After all, AlGore is from TN, and everybody down there looks up to him, right?

zelatore
04-29-2010, 08:58 PM

If he goes that way, he'll need to lower it and set the camber to about -10* all the way around too. And he'll need a giant wing. And some go-fast stickers. And of course it'll be a slushbox.

The Hedgehog
04-29-2010, 09:00 PM
Starting to dig that lowered civic and wing thing. Fart pipes and all. That is off the hook:rock:

BUIZILLA
04-29-2010, 09:09 PM
ask any hoochie :shocking:

they luv em :angel:

Phil S
04-30-2010, 06:55 AM
I think "Rat Rods" are pretty cool....should have plenty of pulling power too !:wink:

Phil S

CJmike
04-30-2010, 06:56 AM
http://lolwigger.com/

VetteLT193
04-30-2010, 07:15 AM
LOL! Hilarious.

I think I have it narrowed down to:
Chevy 2500 diesel
Jeep Grand
Jeep Commander

There's not really much else that I'm getting excited about. I'll be spending the weekend in a friend's Jeep Grand on our road trip to the Buffet concert in Nashville (oh yeah...gonna be awesome!). I'll see how I feel about the Grand after that.

I've looked at the Nissan Pathfinder and Frontier, and while good looking, wasn't quite as comfortable as I'd like...unless I want to fork out a bunch of $$$ for the pimped out version!

How do you guys feel about Hummers? (easy, Hedge :wink:) I like the H3, but it has the same 5cyl motor that my Colorado has which just crapped out on me after 115k miles. That shouldn't happen in my opinion.

For everyday driving the diesel is awesome until you have to park. Some places it is a total PITA. They are built well though. Eddie's 2500 Duramax has about 250k on it. didn't do brakes until well over 200k. Still runs like new, actually better with the upgraded exhaust. Driving it is awesome as long as you don't have to go anywhere downtown... if I am downtown anywhere forget about parking. Compared to my father in-laws Avalanche the Av gets slightly better MPG. The Av will tow a 22 with zero problems even with 2WD. And the Av is much easier to park. I towed my Minx with the Av a couple times to one of the worst ramps on the planet and there was no need for even 4WD. My Dodge truck would barely get out of there. So... with that said, I'd stick with 1500 or similar sized vehicle unless you have a real need to tow a ton of weight because the 2500 stuff is just so dang big. The diesel noise also gets annoying on long highway trips. Eddie's is the 4 door short bed flavor. if you get the 4 door with the longer bed you'll have yourself a Texas limousine.

As for the H3, I don't like them all that much. The platform is not Tahoe, they are Colorado. So you are buying a Colorado with a different look. the H2 is a hybrid frame, they are good.

The commander and grand cherokee are basically the same vehicle with a different look.

The Hedgehog
04-30-2010, 07:59 AM

OMG, I almost fell out when I saw that.

Back the the fart tube setup.

oledawg
04-30-2010, 09:53 AM
I have an '06 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4 x 4 with the premium pkg ( sunroof, Bose, etc ) that has the standard 4.0 V6 with 270 hp to which I have added a K&N system and Flowmaster exhaust so it is pushing 290 hp now. Overall ( city and highway ) I average about 18 mpg and pulling my 22 Classic. Great vehicle, Consumer Reports always gives it a Recommended Rating. :cool!:

oledawg
04-30-2010, 10:41 AM
Also FYI: tow capacity on the V6 is a real 6,000 lbs and you can get a 310 hp V8 if you feel that you need it. My tows are always 2WD, but it has 4WD that can be engaged up to 60 mph, and a stump pulling 4WD lo range. I don't even know that the boat is back there. Another neat feature is the "hill braking" that engages when going downhill when you touch the brake, help slow everything down a little. Lots of "keep you out of trouble" electronic devices also. Great vehicle.

Bamboo Loui
04-30-2010, 10:54 AM
For everyday driving the diesel is awesome until you have to park. Some places it is a total PITA. They are built well though. Eddie's 2500 Duramax has about 250k on it. didn't do brakes until well over 200k. Still runs like new, actually better with the upgraded exhaust. Driving it is awesome as long as you don't have to go anywhere downtown... if I am downtown anywhere forget about parking. Compared to my father in-laws Avalanche the Av gets slightly better MPG. The Av will tow a 22 with zero problems even with 2WD. And the Av is much easier to park. I towed my Minx with the Av a couple times to one of the worst ramps on the planet and there was no need for even 4WD. My Dodge truck would barely get out of there. So... with that said, I'd stick with 1500 or similar sized vehicle unless you have a real need to tow a ton of weight because the 2500 stuff is just so dang big. The diesel noise also gets annoying on long highway trips. Eddie's is the 4 door short bed flavor. if you get the 4 door with the longer bed you'll have yourself a Texas limousine.

As for the H3, I don't like them all that much. The platform is not Tahoe, they are Colorado. So you are buying a Colorado with a different look. the H2 is a hybrid frame, they are good.

The commander and grand cherokee are basically the same vehicle with a different look.

From our experience, there is a huge difference in the ride between the Grand and the Commander-- we have had 6-7 Grands -- 3 of the current platforms and currently have a Hemi Commander-- interior room, seats, ride, and comfort are FAR superior in the commander- The hemi gets pretty lousy MPG-- we average about 14 highway whether we pull the 22 or not but what is wierd is the Grand would get less mpg pulling anything.-- Like 11mpg!!!

My wife loves her Commander- we are thinking of getting another vehicle for trips to Florida so we can haul the animals-- but she insists on Keeping the Commander anyway-- I want a truck or Suburban- she wants a new Chrysler Van with the folding flat seats. I doubt but will check to see if the all wheel drive version can pull anything-- given we had a few cheokees that could pull - perhaps it could.

yeller
04-30-2010, 11:09 AM
look into a Nissan Frontier, 07-newer with a 4.0 V6...

comes in 4wd and trailer tow too, it'll surprise ya... I almost bought one last Saturday... still might...That's what I use to tow my 22C. It actually handles the load better than the Ram 1500 it replaced. No better than a full size on fuel though.

oledawg
04-30-2010, 11:23 AM
True, if you want an awesome pickup, a used Nissan Titan is unbelievable, and only gets a little worse mpg than a Frontier. Frontier are good too, but much less cabin space. Titan will tow up to 10,000 lbs.

mrfixxall
04-30-2010, 11:54 AM
True, if you want an awesome pickup, a used Nissan Titan is unbelievable, and only gets a little worse mpg than a Frontier. Frontier are good too, but much less cabin space. Titan will tow up to 10,000 lbs.

my neighbor has one,,he complains he only gets 13 mpg,,its a v8 tho..

The Hedgehog
04-30-2010, 12:27 PM
my neighbor has one,,he complains he only gets 13 mpg,,its a v8 tho..

I would not pull my 6,500 lbs ZX more than 10 miles with one either. 10,000lbs is absurd.

CaribouLou
04-30-2010, 01:30 PM

Well, being that I've owned 4 Powerstrokes, and I can honestly say, the Cummins gets much better milage, for a few reasons.

1. Its a smaller engine, with more low end power then a PSD
2. 3.55 gears vs 3.73 in most Super Dutys, Keeping the RPM's down in that low end power band when cruising on the freeway
3. Cheap Dodge interior makes the truck lighter then the Ford (not a joke, at this point, I really believe that helps)

My Super Duty was a 6speed, leveling kit, and 35's. My Dodge is an automatic, with a leveling kit and 35's.

Ford would avg around 17-18 @65 based on the GPS odo on my navi, Dodge avgs a hint over 20 @65 based on the same GPS navi....

So I'm lying?

Oh, and my friend owns 2 Cummins, and a Dmax (for his wife). Took his 6.7 Cummins and her truck to a buddies place 150 miles away. Her truck used more gallons of fuel on that trip, and she was following him, but hey, all us Cummins guys are just lying because we're jeallous of not having a V8 :hijack:

BUIZILLA
04-30-2010, 01:51 PM
6 holes need less food than 8 holes...

oledawg
04-30-2010, 02:46 PM
Neither the Frontier or Pathfinder will pull over 6,000 lbs, however the Titan will pull up to 10,000 lbs with no absurdity. :cool!:

zelatore
04-30-2010, 08:36 PM
Neither the Frontier or Pathfinder will pull over 6,000 lbs, however the Titan will pull up to 10,000 lbs with no absurdity. :cool!:

First, I'll admit I've never towed with a Titan. I did a brief test drive before I bought my Dodge 4 years ago, that's it.

But really, I don't care what they say on paper - I don't know any 1/2 ton I'd be comfortable pulling 10K with. It might do it, but it wouldn't exactly be a satisfying experience. Throw in any sort of hills, and you'll be down in 2nd flat footing it.

I have towed stuff in that neighborhood short distances with a half-ton, but I'd never do it regularly or over any distance.

All this is really beside the point anyway. The man's got an 18 Donzi to tow - it doesn't come in anywhere near 10K! And a 1/2 ton will more than tow it, as would some of the mid-size SUVs if he wants to look at them.

BUIZILLA
04-30-2010, 09:09 PM
my 5.3 is dissappointing.. :bonk:

VetteLT193
04-30-2010, 09:39 PM

5.3 what, chevy?

BUIZILLA
04-30-2010, 10:01 PM
yup...

mrfixxall
04-30-2010, 10:21 PM

you need to send the pcm to that guy in NY that programs them,he did my buddys and it will roast the tires now..ill try to find the info again if you need more pep..

Donzi Vol
04-30-2010, 11:31 PM
I've been following everybody's very helpful input today via the blackberry, but I thought it best to go ahead and post so you know I'm alive and it's not all in vain.

I haven't had the time to go look at or drive any more vehicles, but I will be in a Grand Cherokee all weekend and I figure that will be a great test to decide if I would enjoy it.

Bamboo, thanks for your comments on the Commander. I've only seen them...haven't actually been in one. I know a girl who has one, and she too loves it. I'll give it a drive.

Going to see Buffett tomorrow...wish me luck on making it back :wink: :nilly:

All the best

Donzi Vol
04-30-2010, 11:48 PM

Starting to dig that lowered civic and wing thing. Fart pipes and all. That is off the hook:rock:
Awesome. I can go accross the street and get some pointers. We have fast and the furious living over there. I really want to go up to the kid and be like, "man...your eclipse is fuel injected. you don't need to sit here and rev it up for 15 minutes straight...nothing is going to change." He just loves to hear the weed whacker noise, I guess.

I think "Rat Rods" are pretty cool....should have plenty of pulling power too !:wink:

Phil S

Now THAT's some funny stuff! I will likely use those in the near future for comedic purposes.

BUIZILLA
05-01-2010, 08:43 AM
Vol...

ebay > 350347422789

your backyard

it's all you need...

PS > get rid of the goofy window louvers..

Bamboo Loui
05-01-2010, 09:09 AM
I haven't had the time to go look at or drive any more vehicles, but I will be in a Grand Cherokee all weekend and I figure that will be a great test to decide if I would enjoy it.

Bamboo, thanks for your comments on the Commander. I've only seen them...haven't actually been in one. I know a girl who has one, and she too loves it. I'll give it a drive.

Going to see Buffett tomorrow...wish me luck on making it back :wink: :nilly:

All the best[/quote]

Have fun at Buffet---- please keep in mind that I was comparing our experience with a ton of Grands vs the Commander--- my wife is a Jeep nut--- she knows nothing what so ever about cars-- but she does love her Commander- Limited Edition, completely loaded with everything and a rare option that year of natural leather. Of course she always brags to her Dad and friends about having a Hemi and her commander being "Trail Rated":nilly: The 2009s have a better --(I think) lifetime warranty on the drive train compared to the 2010s-- so If you decide on a Commander search for a 2009.
For me I would buy a Tahoe or Denali Hybrid-- more space, comfort, and better mileage--- more $$$$$$ too:frown:
Commanders are not rated that well but we have driven hers from Michigan to florida at least twice and it was pretty comfortable and it does pull the 22c as if it were not there at all.
Good Luck

Donzi Vol
05-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Vol...
ebay > 350347422789
your backyard
it's all you need...
PS > get rid of the goofy window louvers..
That really is in my backyard. Not more than 5 minute from the house. I'll check it out when I get home. Thanks

yeller
05-01-2010, 11:10 AM
If you're unsure what will work for you, maybe you could find a similiar vehicle to rent for a couple days. Nothing like trying before buying.

I was pretty sure all I needed was an extended cab truck, but after only a couple days, I realized I should have bought the crew cab. The couple hundred bucks for a rental would have been well worth it.

BUIZILLA
05-01-2010, 04:16 PM
that's what sold me on the Frontier... I rented one from Enterprise for a week recently after my Tundra was hit for the 2,345th time...and i'm dead sold on it for what it is...

VetteLT193
05-01-2010, 08:29 PM
On a purchase this large you should at least consider American first. I haven't had a Japanese person sign my paycheck or do business with me yet.

Donzi Vol
05-07-2010, 09:29 AM
Ok, so the company car has officially gone away as of this week, which means that I've been driving my Colorado the last couple days. Between the two days, I put about 500 miles on it. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised with the performance. My mechanic had diagnosed some problems with the motor and had recommended that for any significant driving that I would be best to trade it. I had also seen a drop in gas mileage to the mid-14's. He tinkered with it for a while and told me to drive it and see if things got any better. Well it's now getting 19 mpg on mostly hwy and it's running much smoother than before I took it in for service.

So, I know that eventually I will need to be trading, but I believe for right now, the right thing for me to do is to just hold on to the Colorado until things get really hairy. Jumping into more than double my vehicle debt is just not something that I want to do right now if avoidable.

However, I was really close to buying a Jeep Grand today :shocking:. I found a 2007 V8 Trail Rated edition with 26k miles for $18,600. I really like the way the V8 model drives and the creature comforts of the vehicle. When it's time to trade I will probably go with that. But who knows...I may get froggy and buy a diesel!

Thanks so much for all of your input. It has been incredibly helpful!

VetteLT193
05-07-2010, 10:44 AM
For not much more you could pick up a Mark LT and be Pimpin' :wink:

http://backwebs.homenetinc.com/offleaseonly/details2.asp?path-taken=used&vehicle_id=23201#tippytop

Donzi Vol
09-29-2010, 09:05 AM
Well the Colorado finally wore me out for the last time, so I made the plunge into a vehicle purchase. I got a Nissan Pathfinder. It's used, but VERY lightly. 2006 with 20k miles on it. Still looks new and drives great. 4.0 V6 and 4WD. Looking forward to enjoying it.

Thanks for all of the input...it really did help. I'll try to post some pictures soon.

All the best,
David

oledawg
09-29-2010, 10:32 AM
Great move.....my '06 Pathfinder has 82,000 miles and hasn't missed a beat.....pulls either my Donzi or my Correct Craft and you can hardly tell they are back there.....good luck :cool!:

Donzi Vol
10-03-2010, 09:14 PM
Thanks oledawg. I'm looking forward to it. So far so good...:crossfing:

For those so concerned, a picture is attached. Naturally, the 18 is in tow.

BUIZILLA
10-03-2010, 09:22 PM
why is the boat sitting so high on the trailer?

HIGH LIFE
10-03-2010, 10:20 PM
I've got a '99 Grand Cherokee w/ 4.0 L pulls my 16' DONZI BABY great, low milage vehicle, even bought one for my daughter... faboulous !!! "HIGH LIFE"

Donzi Vol
10-03-2010, 10:32 PM
why is the boat sitting so high on the trailer?

Well the boat has always sat high on that trailer (which I'm not a huge fan of), but it looks even higher because I need to get a new trailer hitch set-up. Basically, I need a longer drop for the ball. The back end of the pathfinder sits a lot higher than my truck did, so equipment change is needed.