PDA

View Full Version : donzi sportsman 28

donzi 28
04-26-2010, 07:38 PM
How come the donzi 28 sportsman is not popular or recognized on this board.I am trying to obtain any first hand info. on these boats. Would like to purchase one and set it up for sportfishing. Can this boat be compared as far as ride to a blackfin 27-29 or bertram 28-31? I love the old school look of this hull with all that bow flare. My only concern is the low freeboard in the stern and the deadrise of the hull. Would this boat be a real rocker at rest or anchor?any thoughts?

smidgen too
04-27-2010, 01:48 AM
How come the donzi 28 sportsman is not popular or recognized on this board.I am trying to obtain any first hand info. on these boats. Would like to purchase one and set it up for sportfishing. Can this boat be compared as far as ride to a blackfin 27-29 or bertram 28-31? I love the old school look of this hull with all that bow flare. My only concern is the low freeboard in the stern and the deadrise of the hull. Would this boat be a real rocker at rest or anchor?any thoughts?
The 28' Donzi is a tank, my brother has had one for 30 years. It came with 440cu mopar engines that were tired. I repowered it with a set of new 454cu Crusader marine engines. She will now run about 45mph. The biggest problem we had was keeping u joints in her. We had new drive shafts made with CV joints and that fixed the problem.
I dont think you will find a better riding 28' boat. She cuts right through 3' chop here on Lake St Clair. She dose rock a little more than most but the ride makes up for it. Performer Marine also made this 28' hull for a few years around 1980, and so did Cary Marine in the late 60's & early 70's.

Morgan's Cloud
04-27-2010, 09:10 AM
How come the donzi 28 sportsman is not popular or recognized on this board.
Quit beating up on yourself .... As one of the 'original three' it is the real deal ... There's just a lot of people who don't know their stuff when it comes to Donzi History ... And I don't think they ever made a whole lot of them either .
See , there's a logical explanation for just about everything ! :kingme:

mattyboy
04-27-2010, 09:29 AM
as Morgan said it was an original 3 and was built from the begining to around late 67 early 68 . heavy good riding boat under 75 made
it was the platform for the winng race boats of the early days of thunderboat row damn donzi,broadjumper,007,008.

the desire to build bigger donzi & race boats sort of fell by the wayside after Don A left in 66 ish. Teleflex wanted the rep of Don and the racing scene but didn't want to build big boats. wasn't til Staples ownership 85-88 that the bigger Z boats came along and Steve Simon of AMH ownership who would bring Donzi back to the top of the race scene in 2003 ish.

It is a true Aronow boat and a piece of history worthy of the name .

there are not many left around BUT there are a few restoring them here on the boards
hopefully they will post up

Sad but their solid ride and the ability to handle the rough at decent speeds made them sort after by other than go fast crowd but became workhorses for the fishing industry. After their tenure most where dispatched quite unceremoniously :( .

I seem to recall that a race boat 007 or one of Don's 28 foot racers became a lobster boat or somekind of working fishboat in Fla.

falcon
04-29-2010, 08:55 AM
I am a big fan of the 28 and think it is a great fishing platform.

I am not a big fan of the rail around the cockpit due to the low freeboard.

When performer made these boats they were able to lower the deck by eliminating the v-drives and running straight inboards. I am not sure how this effected the running characteristics of the boat.

Last Tango
05-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Dads Thunder on this board has a nice 28 Sportsman. He posts frequently when he sees 28 Sportsman threads. But he is doing his engines this weekend, so it may be a few days before he passes by to read your thread.

He keeps his boat in Port Clinton, not far from you. We have been out together on the mighty Lake Erie many times. That boat is totally AWSOME in big water! Cuts right through it without drama. Perfect for the fickle weather conditions of the western lake area. And he is no ***** when it comes to the seasons there, either. He is usually first in and last out when dealing with your cooler months of the year.
He spends most of his weekends at Kelly's Island.

cpt.scuba
05-03-2010, 05:14 PM
i have a 1967 28 .. also have owned 28 cary and blackfin .. 28 donzi is far better .. first engines are under the deck .. good deck height .. 10 ft beam .. twin v berths . and built like a tank very dry smooth ride

smidgen too
05-03-2010, 08:02 PM
I am a big fan of the 28 and think it is a great fishing platform.

I am not a big fan of the rail around the cockpit due to the low freeboard.

When performer made these boats they were able to lower the deck by eliminating the v-drives and running straight inboards. I am not sure how this effected the running characteristics of the boat.
There is a black & tan Performer 28' for sale here in the Detroit area, this one has the 330hp Trs outdrive package.

Dads Thunder
05-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Hi Guys,

Last Tango is correct . I try tell everyone that asks about the ride. The ride is just awsome ! I have a few boats . Ok Last Tango a few I am getting better. Nothing compares to the DONZI.... Well anyway I know have the motors out and I am cleaning and painting the inside . I have the 1969 Donzi 28 .. I have been round and round with conversations about the 1969 and have even asked Michael A. Looks like the 1967, 1968 however it has a split deck in which I am lifting to a sun deck . Just a great ride. I have had that boat in 6 to 8's on Lake Erie and belive me that's rough . The boat is a tank . I really enjoy going on runs with other boats that can go 60 to 90 in flat water. They can't keep up with us in nasty conditions or just not crazy like all of us Donzi guys. The Donzi is just the best !! :yes:

Morgan's Cloud
05-04-2010, 11:49 AM
It's almost impossible to decide wether that hull was designed to be

1) Effective
or
2) Beautifull

It would be hard to find a hull easier on the eye than that one .

Dads Thunder
05-04-2010, 03:04 PM
Both, not even a question. Those old timers werer the Einstein boat building ! :yes: