PDA

View Full Version : Tow vehicles

tmh
04-24-2010, 01:44 PM
I'm looking for suggestions for a good tow vehicle for the 18C which will also function as an extra for the kids to use to drive to high school and errands (15 and 17 year old boys). I'd like to spend about $5k but it seems like I may need to spend $7k-8k to get something reliable with A/C that doesn't have 100k plus miles on it. I would need more room than a standard size pickup and assume I need something with a V8. I'm in Naples, FL and it's pretty hot here for a good 6 months a year. Gas mileage isn't a big factor but I'd like to get at least 15mpg around town.

I think about pickup trucks, SUV's, Jeeps (which come in all sorts of shapes and sizes), 10 year old Crown Victorias or Buicks, etc.

Your ideas and suggestions are appreciated.
T.M. Hayes

Carl C
04-24-2010, 03:01 PM
F-150.

Bamboo Loui
04-24-2010, 04:05 PM
Denali Hybrid-- if you can stand Obama motors

BUIZILLA
04-24-2010, 05:47 PM
for $4500 short money i'll put you in a pretty darn nice 4wd 4 door auto Cherokee 4.0 6 cyl, tons of torque, with ice cold air, brand new tires, brand new paint, brand new wheels, all tuned up, injectors serviced, all fluids done, all new marker lenses and headlights, new NOS trim, trans serviced, dark tint windows, excellent interior, new factory headliner, no stains, rips, or tears, super clean for a 1995... I even have a new factory Jeep frame hitch and factory wiring harness kit in a box ready to install which i'll throw in the deal.. I put wellll over 6k into this car but I no longer need it for what it was intended.. stored in a warehouse, come and get it

if it won't go to Canada and back tomorrow, twice, i'll refund your money after you get back...

runs friggin awesome... :kingme:

VetteLT193
04-24-2010, 06:01 PM
I had a Dodge Dakota with the 318 V8. Got good MPG, tons of power, ran great.

Only down side is it was a bit hard to work on. 10 pounds of you know what in a 5 pound bag. Front of the engine is practically sitting in the radiator.

Hey Buiz, what year is your Jeep?

I used to tow with a Grand Cherokee with a V8. never had a problem with it other than the full time 4x4 sucking gas.

MOP
04-24-2010, 07:14 PM
I also was going to suggest the Dakota, I had the V6 which I towed my 16 with but also did a fair amount of towing my 22. I even towed the 22 down from NH through the hills without braking a sweat, you don't need 4X4 none of mine have been and I have never had an issue they all did have posi. I have a 2X4 Suburban now that is a match for my son in laws his is 4X4 and gets 4mpg leas then I do, for the few snow day I do just fine with M&S Michelin's.

glashole
04-25-2010, 08:25 AM
that cherokee would be perfect

jump all over that

don't look back

see if he can put a 4x4 disconnect in it so your kids don't f$%k it up

BUIZILLA
04-25-2010, 08:32 AM
it has a manual transfer case, they can't break it... :)

glashole
04-25-2010, 08:39 AM
was kind of thinking the entire vehicle rather than the individual parts

just remembering when i was given a 4x4 at that age :nilly:

CaribouLou
04-25-2010, 11:23 AM
I tow with a 600hp Cummins....:wink:

MOP
04-25-2010, 11:43 AM

Ready for your 43 foot Donzi!

Bamboo Loui
04-25-2010, 02:28 PM
for $4500 short money i'll put you in a pretty darn nice 4wd 4 door auto Cherokee 4.0 6 cyl, tons of torque, with ice cold air, brand new tires, brand new paint, brand new wheels, all tuned up, injectors serviced, all fluids done, all new marker lenses and headlights, new NOS trim, trans serviced, dark tint windows, excellent interior, new factory headliner, no stains, rips, or tears, super clean for a 1995... I even have a new factory Jeep frame hitch and factory wiring harness kit in a box ready to install which i'll throw in the deal.. I put wellll over 6k into this car but I no longer need it for what it was intended.. stored in a warehouse, come and get it

if it won't go to Canada and back tomorrow, twice, i'll refund your money after you get back...

runs friggin awesome... :kingme:

We towed our 22ft Malibu with a cherokee for years-- pulls real good!!!
Pulled 3&4place snowmobile trailers-- it was a stretch there - low power-- but great for the boat. Highly recommended-- IF it is a good one-- we have had 4 of them--- 3 were good!! My daughter had one for 5 years-- I really think it is an excellent suggestion for your needs
Doug

mrfixxall
04-25-2010, 02:43 PM

That would be a ford with a (dodge cummins) in it rite:)

I sold my cherokee limited v8 for $1500.oo bucks,i guess that's why the first looker bought it..great vehicles mine had 160000 rounds on it and still ran like a watch!!

I was thinking abour putting a 4bt in it but i have too many coals in the fire already so i got rid of it..