PDA

View Full Version : Trailer oxidation

mc donzi
04-24-2010, 06:33 AM
I have a Loadrite all aluminum trailer for my 22 Classic. It has some oxidation on the rails and checkerplate fenders. It isn't bad but I would like to clean it up before it gets worse. I would appreciate ideas on what products work best.:confused:

Thanks,

Dave

MOP
04-24-2010, 08:00 AM
You can clean things up using stainless steel wool, do not use any other types they will leaves specs behind that will cause further corrosion. When you run in salt it is important to hose the entire rig down, my trailer also aluminum is five years old with no signs of corrosion to the aluminum just some surface rust on the steel brackets. I spend at least 15-20 minutes washing the trailer first, the brakes and every nook & cranny then I was the boat. I am fresh water cooled so the engine only gets a 10 minute flush, once done I throw the cover on and it is ready for the next time out.

Bamboo Loui
04-24-2010, 11:02 AM
I bought "need for speeds" boat with a MYCO trailer-- brushed aluminum and polished fenders-- Charlie does boats for a living-- he recomends and I have tried using "soft scrub" and a scub brush on all the brushed surfaces and I use a product from the Web called Metal Wax for all polished aluminum-- it lasts for years!
The Soft Scrub and brush works great-- scrub on --rinse off

DonziJon
04-24-2010, 12:43 PM
I used Soft Scrub an a 14 year old White Toyota pickup that had NEVER been waxed and the paint was fairly well oxidized. Just a sponge, water and Soft Scrub. Brought the shine right back with two consecutive washes in 20 minutes. Still no wax.

In fact...I think I'm going to try it on the transom of the Minx (Red). Last year I spent over an hour light compounding and waxing the transom with barely a change. Not worth the trouble. Disappointing.

2010: Soft Scrub..YES. :yes:

mc donzi
04-24-2010, 04:00 PM
I bought "need for speeds" boat with a MYCO trailer-- brushed aluminum and polished fenders-- Charlie does boats for a living-- he recomends and I have tried using "soft scrub" and a scub brush on all the brushed surfaces and I use a product from the Web called Metal Wax for all polished aluminum-- it lasts for years!
The Soft Scrub and brush works great-- scrub on --rinse off

Man, did you ever get a nice one!!!. I looked at it in Jan.'08 in Naples. It was cleaner than when it was in the showroom. Just a beautiful package but, alas, beyond my budget. I ended up with a 2000 454/385HP with a Volvo duo-prop. Love it!!

Googled 'Soft Scrub'.. looks like it's probably available at a grocery store or hardware.

Thanks,

Dave

Bamboo Loui
04-24-2010, 04:03 PM
after using the soft scrub--- if it is a brushed aluminum ---- do NOT polish-- keep the brushed look

If you have a polished aluminum piece-- try the Metal Wax-- Really=-I am serious! I have had my pontoons polished with it for years now-- I MIGHT redo them this year--- maybe not-- the wax is so good theat the oxidation does not come back for a really long time. The polish on my pontoons is now 4 years old!!:cool!:

DonziJon
04-24-2010, 04:58 PM
If you have a Polished ..or Satin (Non-Clear coated) aluminum surface and want to make it look like Chrome..Use BRASSO metal polish.

The Brasso Can has a Warning on the label: "Do Not Use On Aluminum"....

I have been using BRASSO on bare aluminum since I was in the Navy in the 60s. Some Dick Head discovered it and polished his Freakin Locker with it and from then on....EVERYONE had to use it to avoid getting whacked during locker inspection.

I have been using it on my 1956 ARIEL Square Four (MC) since 1987. If you want to get it to look more Chromey ...just go over it again.

I wouldn't be surprised if forum member "Chromey" would verify my observations. He was also in the regular NAVY.

VetteLT193
04-24-2010, 06:06 PM
Aluminum is odd in that the oxidation actually protects the metal underneath it. so, if it doesn't bother you just leave it.

But, if you are like me and it bothers you....

You can start with sno bowl toilet cleaner. That will knock off a majority of the oxidation if not all of it... then you can come back over it with whatever polish you want. I'd use a mother's powerball or similar with a corded drill to apply.

Cuda
04-24-2010, 08:26 PM
Ask Catch what he uses on his trailer. One year at the Home Town Rally it looked like polished stainless steel, the next year it looked like it was dipped in chrome. It's some polish he gets at a truckstop.

Cuda
04-24-2010, 08:32 PM
Aluminum is odd in that the oxidation actually protects the metal underneath it. so, if it doesn't bother you just leave it.
But, if you are like me and it bothers you....
You can start with sno bowl toilet cleaner. That will knock off a majority of the oxidation if not all of it... then you can come back over it with whatever polish you want. I'd use a mother's powerball or similar with a corded drill to apply.
Ospho (or another brand of restorer) turns rust (iron oxide) into aluminum oxide.

need for speed
04-24-2010, 10:27 PM
soft scrub is great! good to see you are keeping up on that trailer>>>> Bamboo!!!!!!

thanks for the kind words MC DONZI!

Bamboo Loui
04-25-2010, 07:21 AM
Man, did you ever get a nice one!!!. I looked at it in Jan.'08 in Naples. It was cleaner than when it was in the showroom. Just a beautiful package but, alas, beyond my budget. I ended up with a 2000 454/385HP with a Volvo duo-prop. Love it!!

Googled 'Soft Scrub'.. looks like it's probably available at a grocery store or hardware.

Thanks,

Dave

Thanks MC-- no doubt-- really does look showroom new!! My neighbor is a Marina owner- he brought his Dad over to the Pole barn last year to show him the boat from he thought I bought from last years Chicago boat show!!-- Tough job trying to keep it as pretty as Charlie did.
RE/ snow bowl-- yep-- used on my pontoons to get the crud off -- works good, turns them black (pure oxide) But Then I wash them with Metal Cleaner-rinse and towel them off and they are silver-- then go over them with Metal Wax and a buffer-- they look like chrome and the wax prevents the oxidation for years. I use a Makita buffer or a Flex3401 da.
RE Brasso-- also good.
for scraps and scratches use a sander/buffer with 1200 grit or finer--- then polish to chrome or soft scrub to the brushed look.
There are quite a few Aluminum cleaners and waxes- The pros all have their favorites-- for me Metal Wax and Metal cleaner -- but I'm no pro.

Hey Charlie-- thanks!!:cool!: