PDA

View Full Version : Transom repair

dsparis
04-22-2010, 10:30 AM
Looking for some advice. I have a friend with a 20' Excel with a 4.3 chevy/volvo. The transom needs to be redone due to rot. He took it to a local marine shop who quoted him 4000.00 to do the job. Is this about the right price ?

Conquistador_del_mar
04-22-2010, 10:58 AM
That is a little high - at least for here in north Texas. Is it a partial transom or full transom? As long as the deck does not have to come off, I would think he could get it done for $2500. I can't believe that I used to do the actual transom replacements for around $750 (12 or so hours actual work time) with a friend doing the engine /drive R&R for about the same amount. My friend is the one who made the real money - lol. Bill

BlownCrewCab
04-22-2010, 02:29 PM
HaHa, I remember Raising the the X dim on a 30 StingRay Twin engine for $1500, Me and another guy Did the whole thing in a weekend and split the Money....In todays Money that aint Squat...

Conquistador_del_mar
04-23-2010, 11:10 AM
HaHa, I remember Raising the the X dim on a 30 StingRay Twin engine for $1500, Me and another guy Did the whole thing in a weekend and split the Money....In todays Money that aint Squat...

In my book, $750 over a weekend is pretty good change - even now. I'll bet that same job today would bring more than twice that amount.

LKSD
04-24-2010, 05:55 AM
There may be a reason he gave a # like 4k... Obviously none of have seen it.. I would guess he is also going to R&R the engine and get materials.. There are are also usually some variables involved..

dsparis
04-24-2010, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the replies. Yes the quote did involve r/r of drive and motor, but no stringer repair was mentioned.
Does anyone know of a shop to take the boat to for a second opinion ? We're about 30 miles west of Chicago. Any help is greatly appreciated.

farmer tx
04-24-2010, 11:06 PM
Capt. Nabbers in Morris IL. has done two for me and two for trueser. After the weekend send Mike Truesdale (trueser) pm. He will point the way.

thehow33
04-25-2010, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the replies. Yes the quote did involve r/r of drive and motor, but no stringer repair was mentioned.
Does anyone know of a shop to take the boat to for a second opinion ? We're about 30 miles west of Chicago. Any help is greatly appreciated.

what town are you from? I live in Lemont. there are a few of us that live in this area, Fixx, Trueser, 19donzi29 and me. Always nice to hear another Donzi owner in the area.

dsparis
05-04-2010, 11:40 AM
Thanks for all the replys. Going to make an appt. with Nabbers and will tell them we got his name from the board. We're in Villa Park, do most of our boating on the Kankakee and Illinois rivers.

thehow33
05-04-2010, 11:09 PM
Thanks for all the replys. Going to make an appt. with Nabbers and will tell them we got his name from the board. We're in Villa Park, do most of our boating on the Kankakee and Illinois rivers.

Nice, i've seen 3 boats that he's done and all 3 were spectacular....Kankakee and IL River??? thats some scary boating in those rivers. probably because i've only been each of them once, but I was afraid of hitting something the whole time.

OFFSHORE GINGER
05-05-2010, 06:42 PM
Hey guys i also would like to mention that the price of doing a Transom can depend on the materials that are used from the resin Epoxy /Poly / Vinyl , along with the fabric and the time that is involved removing the motor /drive / pumps / tabs , ext ext and tearing the old transom out which sometimes can burn up a lot of manhours depending on how rotted it really is .

LKSD
05-05-2010, 09:27 PM
Hey guys i also would like to mention that the price of doing a Transom can depend on the materials that are used from the resin Epoxy /Poly / Vinyl , along with the fabric and the time that is involved removing the motor /drive / pumps / tabs , ext ext and tearing the old transom out which sometimes can burn up a lot of manhours depending on how rotted it really is .

You are correct.. There are many variables.. :) J

dsparis
05-06-2010, 09:04 AM
Thanks again for all the replys. I'll post what Nabbers says after they look at it.
How, we launch at Des Plaines preserve in Wilmington. Theres a great launching ramp and its FREE.I've never had any problem with shallow water.Theres a couple of good bars and rarely any popo. Theres also a great sand bar on the Kankakee that gets packed on sundays.

zelatore
05-06-2010, 09:17 AM
You are correct.. There are many variables.. :) J

Come on, you mean you don't simply flat-rate all jobs? That's what my boss thinks I should do....:bonk:

mrfixxall
05-06-2010, 05:10 PM
Looking for some advice. I have a friend with a 20' Excel with a 4.3 chevy/volvo. The transom needs to be redone due to rot. He took it to a local marine shop who quoted him 4000.00 to do the job. Is this about the right price ?

may i ask? who was the local shop? im not to far from VP,,my shop is in glen ellyn..