PDA

View Full Version : Imco lowers

osur866
04-20-2010, 10:56 PM
All you guys with Imco Lowers check your anode plate that replaces the factory Merc. One, past weekend the Allen bolt backed out of mine got sheared off bending one of the blades on my favorite labbed props and loosing the plate alltogether. :( Not how I wanted to start the season, but plate ordered from Imco and prop ups'd to Throttle Up for a repair. Planning on using loctite on the bolt this time. Steve

thehow33
04-20-2010, 11:04 PM
thanks will have to check mine out

mrfixxall
04-20-2010, 11:12 PM
All you guys with Imco Lowers check your anode plate that replaces the factory Merc. One, past weekend the Allen bolt backed out of mine got sheared off bending one of the blades on my favorite labbed props and loosing the plate alltogether. :( Not how I wanted to start the season, but plate ordered from Imco and prop ups'd to Throttle Up for a repair. Planning on using loctite on the bolt this time. Steve

merc loctite's them from the factory! BLUE

fogducker III
04-21-2010, 12:04 AM

Good "tid-bit" of info Steve, I checked mine/yours and it was actually in need of a 1/3 of a turn of tightening.......:eek:

Not sure what to use to keep her tight? Locktite is a bitch to undo if you need to......??:confused:

osur866
04-21-2010, 12:59 AM
Well J, I'll fight the loctite over the price of the plate and the prop work, along with the time lost!!

Carl C
04-21-2010, 07:14 AM
I've never had a problem undoing loc-tited fasteners and I use red. Been using it for years on the ATVs and boats. I'll check my shorty bolt.

MOP
04-21-2010, 07:26 AM
Blue is forgiving Red is not, only use red where the item will not need to be removed. Red many times requires quite a bit of heat to get loose!

DonziJon
04-21-2010, 09:50 AM
BLUE is also known as Loctite #242/243. Removable. (For .25-.75 Diameter)...Apply Before Ass'y

RED is also known as Loctite #262. High Strength. (Up to .75 Diameter)..Apply Before Ass'y

RED is also known as Loctite #271. Heavy Duty. (Up to 1 Inch Diam)...Apply Before Ass'y

RED is also known as Loctite #272. High Temp/Strength. (Up to 1.5 Inches Diam)..Apply Before Ass'y

GREEN is also known as Loctite #290. (Up to 1/2 Inch)...Penetrating. Applied AFTER Ass'y)

VetteLT193
04-21-2010, 10:14 AM
Another kink in the color system is I have seen the blue loctite come in a red tube. :nilly:

thehow33
04-21-2010, 05:17 PM
Another kink in the color system is I have seen the blue loctite come in a red tube. :nilly:

I know....i have red in a blue tube and blue in a red tube:nilly:

thehow33
04-21-2010, 05:20 PM
Blue is forgiving Red is not, only use red where the item will not need to be removed. Red many times requires quite a bit of heat to get loose!

So Red on my valve covers, headers, bellhousing, senders, accessory brackets, was a BAD IDEA.....:eek: LOL just kidding

Carl C
04-21-2010, 05:44 PM
So Red on my valve covers, headers, bellhousing, senders, accessory brackets, was a BAD IDEA.....:eek: LOL just kidding

Super glue them..