PDA

View Full Version : Loose Screws (what boater doesn't have them?)

bigdawgchallenger
04-20-2010, 09:09 PM
The screws on my rub rails keep comming loose. anyone got a good remedy? I thought about epoxy, but I intend to take them off again when I paint so I want to beable to remove them again.

Mike

mattyboy
04-20-2010, 09:40 PM
if you can get to the back off the screw, use nylock nuts on machine screws. even if you can get a few on each section it will tighten them all up. I use a dab of 4200 on the screws on the ones I could not put the lock nuts on. also sealing the deck to hull joint helps

big deck ,big boat, bigger than a classic, but it should work

bigdawgchallenger
04-20-2010, 10:10 PM
cant get to the back of them.

fogducker III
04-21-2010, 12:08 AM
For bolts or screws thru-hull, I have had good luck with Sikaflex, it bonds well, has good adhesion and the fastener can be removed if needed............:wink:

MOP
04-21-2010, 07:40 AM
While through bolting is the very best it can be a real bioch when you have to get it apart, clear Silicone holds very well, have been using it for many years with out fail. I put a new rub rail on five years ago I defy anyone to fine a loose screw! Silicone is also great for bolts subjected to corrosion, using Silicone will always let you get them out, every bolt into the cast iron on my block is bedded in either Silicone or non hardening gasket compound. 30 years of working on this stuff as a profession teaches you stuff!

mattyboy
04-21-2010, 08:37 AM
silcone never worked on my 16 it always broke loose, on a bigger boat like a z 33 or 22 with less flex it might hold ok. the 4200 worked great for me and could be removed if needed.

some other things that worked for me where I couldn't thru bolt

larger screws: the next size up with a little more countersink on the rail so they sit in all the way you could hardly tell the difference in size.

if the holes are really blown out 5200 a plastic sheetrock anchor in or drill strategic new holes countersink the rail this gives you fresh meat to screw into just be careful you might hit the hull /deck screws( if they did that on the z boats? or was it a chemical bonded joint?) this might look bad having 3 screws close together, usually that is for the people who index all the screws in a rubrail, not me as long as the rail is tight and it is doing it job it looks good to me.