PDA

View Full Version : Donzi In Tow

inlander
04-20-2010, 06:41 PM
After 2033 miles, the Donzi is safely home! Pami & I flew out to Fayetteville, Arkansas on the 10th and the next day picked the boat up from storage. Few days before we arrived, I had Wolfe Boat Works check the trailer and shrink wrap the boat. They were great to work with.

Leslie, the manager of Double Springs Storage, also took good care of us setting up up with a 10' box GMC truck. Boat trailered really well behind this vehicle. Considering I was dealing with both businesses from 1800 miles away, everything went exceptionally well. Hats off to both of them. Stopped in Oaklahoma City for the first leg, then Albequerque, New Mexico, and then Sedona, Arizona. Sedona is beautiful. Met a Donzi owner, who was there for a concours car show. Just so happened he once owned a 16, white with red stripe. Only mishap was traveling toward Kingman, Arizona. After coming off the grade, and traveling at the speed limit (75), heard a loud bang and thought I lost the boat. Turned out it was a blow-out. Took the fender competely off, scuffed the shrink wrap, but didn't touch the hull (whew!!). We were lucky to get a tow service and get back on the road in about 1 1/2 hours. Would have been a much longer trip home, if the Donzi had been damaged! Got lured into a false sense of security, seeing everybody towing at high speeds. Boat is in remarkable shape considering the miles traveled. Took us 5 days to get home to Shingle Springs, California. Replaced both tires on some new custom wheels and ordered a new Loadmaster fender when I got home.
Can't wait to get the Donzi wet.:)

Jraysray
04-20-2010, 06:59 PM
That was quite a haul to say the least! Hope the u-haul wasn't to rough on ya. The Donzi was well worth the adventure im sure.

sweet 16 1966
04-20-2010, 07:06 PM
Enjoy the purchase! Nice road trip!

MOP
04-20-2010, 07:30 PM
Heck of a place to get a flat! It will all be worth it enjoy your Donzi Daze! Phil

LuauLounge
04-20-2010, 08:38 PM
It's nice to have another Donzi on the West Coast.
We are in Sacramento, boat is on a Hydrohoist in the Delta