PDA

View Full Version : 1966 18 2+3 Hull #105

Rootsy
04-19-2010, 01:39 PM
Too many irons in the fire and it's time to get a few out of the coals.

You are purchasing just the hull which consists of the following.

New transom, re-enforced stringers, new bulkheads, new FMT 40 gallon custom fuel tank and fuel line. The hull has been wired and has the harness run to the bilge and has an end for a Mercruiser engine harness. Transom is cut for a Bravo / Alpha sterndrive at 14 1/2 inches from theoretical sharp of keel. All glass work is 24 oz bi-axial stitch mat and polyester resin.

Deck has been completely re-cored with end grain balsa and sealed with 24 oz biaxial stitch mat and polyester resin (non waxed). Bilge has been painted with white bilgekote.

Foot well has has the beginning of a rebuilt ski locker which needs to be filled and faired.

The exterior of the hull needs to be filled, faired, finished and rigged.

Also includes the rub rail that came with it when I bought it.

Also includes the engine hatch, battery cover and cockpit storage covers.

No trailer. Does not include dash and gauges and does not include transom assy.

The photos attached are but a small sampling of what I have detailing all work performed. If you want to see something specific please ask.

Original starboard helm boat which is extremely rare.

$3500 OBO.

Thanks,

James A. Root
734 755 6013

Rootsy
04-19-2010, 01:47 PM
More photos

Rootsy
04-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Few more photos

Eugene Nahemow
04-19-2010, 04:20 PM
Really nice place to begin a restoration!

BlownCrewCab
04-19-2010, 08:28 PM
Thats the coolest Transom Clamp ever :)

Donzi Vol
04-19-2010, 09:21 PM
Wow...that is awesome. Beautiful work! The hard part is done for someone who is ready to finish it out.

We were shooting for the same thing with the triple hatch, but similarly got a little overwhelmed with everything else going on. Hopefully it will end up this nice, as it's back with its prior owner.

Good luck with the sale!

Rootsy
04-20-2010, 06:49 AM
Thats the coolest Transom Clamp ever :)

I cannot claim credit for that idea... I believe that one came from MOP

mattyboy
04-20-2010, 08:17 AM
sorry to hear you're selling her, I know how that feels :( but just know there will be another someday ;)

for anyone interested I saw her go thru some of the restoration it is much stronger than it left the factory

wagspe208
04-20-2010, 11:01 PM
Very nice work. I am looking into my future. My piece is going to get ripped apart this year.
I am sorry you have to sell your project.
It looks like a smokin deal to me.
Wags

thatgirl
04-25-2010, 06:55 PM
can you tell me is the deck back on and where is the boat
Too many irons in the fire and it's time to get a few out of the coals.

You are purchasing just the hull which consists of the following.

New transom, re-enforced stringers, new bulkheads, new FMT 40 gallon custom fuel tank and fuel line. The hull has been wired and has the harness run to the bilge and has an end for a Mercruiser engine harness. Transom is cut for a Bravo / Alpha sterndrive at 14 1/2 inches from theoretical sharp of keel. All glass work is 24 oz bi-axial stitch mat and polyester resin.

Deck has been completely re-cored with end grain balsa and sealed with 24 oz biaxial stitch mat and polyester resin (non waxed). Bilge has been painted with white bilgekote.

Foot well has has the beginning of a rebuilt ski locker which needs to be filled and faired.

The exterior of the hull needs to be filled, faired, finished and rigged.

Also includes the rub rail that came with it when I bought it.

Also includes the engine hatch, battery cover and cockpit storage covers.

No trailer. Does not include dash and gauges and does not include transom assy.

The photos attached are but a small sampling of what I have detailing all work performed. If you want to see something specific please ask.

Original starboard helm boat which is extremely rare.

$3500 OBO.

Thanks,

James A. Root
734 755 6013

MOP
04-25-2010, 07:43 PM
Needs to be grabbed quick, dynamite deal!

Rootsy
04-25-2010, 09:08 PM
can you tell me is the deck back on and where is the boat

Yes, the deck is back on and it is located in Southern Michigan.

11th photo, second set of photos (second post) is how it sits... deck on but loose (not screwed together). Sitting on a cradle in the barn.

thatgirl
04-27-2010, 06:19 AM
hi is this boat still for sale also any ideas how to geet her to south fl thank you tony g.
Yes, the deck is back on and it is located in Southern Michigan.

11th photo, second set of photos (second post) is how it sits... deck on but loose (not screwed together). Sitting on a cradle in the barn.

Rootsy
04-27-2010, 10:23 AM
hi is this boat still for sale also any ideas how to geet her to south fl thank you tony g.

Still available. I reckon you'd need to find someone with a trailer that it'll fit on that is headed South. There are shipping companies that also move boats. Hopefully someone will speak up with recommended ones. I will assist in getting it loaded but shipping is up to you.

Rootsy
10-01-2010, 01:17 PM
Ttt....

Rootsy
10-24-2010, 04:31 PM
bump

Rootsy
01-30-2011, 05:46 PM
BTT $2500 and includes a Bravo transom assembly and inner transom plate.

donzi racer
01-30-2011, 06:05 PM
WOW, wish I had any Money right now, MIKE, you got any $ put away? Can drop it off in Tenn. You know that is my favorite color combo in a barrel back. Seriously Rootsy if you get any interest from anyone in the south,like you did back in April, I will be in Michigan next week & could assist getting it back down south for you or a buyer. Cost would be nothing, unless someone wanted to pour a little Diesel in the tank. Get in touch with me if you need me & I will try & figure a way to bring 2 trailers up instead of just one. Great Luck with it. A bargain don't even come close! Tom

Buddyc
01-30-2011, 06:11 PM
Im interested. Where is the boat located?

fogducker III
01-30-2011, 06:55 PM
BTT $2500 and includes a Bravo transom assembly and inner transom plate.

Your killing me here Rootsy.....:nilly:

My current "project" is almost over and your awesome piece of work is calling my name......:lookaroun:

Can you shoot me a couple of pics of the transom how it sits now, you say it is cut for Bravo/Alpha and a Bravo assembly is included?

I realize no dash or gauges but is the wiring for the dash as shown in the pictures still there?

How much work to finish the foot well/ski locker?

Current state of the exterior hull and deck? (I am not a fiberglass/gel guy so would have to get somebody else to do that)

Any additional info and pics can be sent here poole.j@shaw.ca

Please and thanks, Jeremy

PS. Would it be "sacrilege" to put a 383 Scorpion in her...? :eek::wrench:

Rootsy
01-30-2011, 08:08 PM
Your killing me here Rootsy.....:nilly:

My current "project" is almost over and your awesome piece of work is calling my name......:lookaroun:

Can you shoot me a couple of pics of the transom how it sits now, you say it is cut for Bravo/Alpha and a Bravo assembly is included?

I realize no dash or gauges but is the wiring for the dash as shown in the pictures still there?

How much work to finish the foot well/ski locker?

Current state of the exterior hull and deck? (I am not a fiberglass/gel guy so would have to get somebody else to do that)

Any additional info and pics can be sent here poole.j@shaw.ca

Please and thanks, Jeremy

PS. Would it be "sacrilege" to put a 383 Scorpion in her...? :eek::wrench:

Yes it is cut for a Bravo / Alpha and I have a Bravo smart craft transom assy with trim rams, inner plate, exhaust block off plate, P/S actuator... Needs to have the U-bolt replaced on the upper pin of the gimble and I have that Merc replacement part that goes with it. Inner transom has some transverse cuts in it that were needed to pull the back inward to get the top on... Fill em and fair em and all should be GTG there. Deck will need to come back off to work on ski locker and rig it. Deck needs to be cleaned up along rub rail lip on inside so it fits down on the hull evenly.

The exterior needs to be completely sanded and gel cracks ground out and filled, I did a little long boarding on the deck and the rear... Then it'd have to be gel coated or painted.

The wiring on the deck is there as is the cable bundle to the engine bay with the merc plug on the end. I took the dash out and sold it off in pieces. Just unhooked the wires to the gauges. May have the gauge to gauge wiring here somewhere still.

I'll toss in the U-flex helm and cables too, brand new.

I need to get this thing out of the barn before the barn decides to fall down and I have no room for it in the shop.

Also has a brand new FMT 40 gallon fuel tank, installed. It has been primed and painted with PPG DP Epoxy primer... Nothing is going to attack the aluminum from the outside.

I have the original rub rail too that goes with it.

The battery cover and floor locker covers are there. The ski locker needs some glass laid down to stiffen it and it needs to be filled and faired. Someone cut the original out of it and I made a mold and re-made the locker and grafted it to the foot well. Foot well needs to be recored and so does the bottom of the locker. I have a few sheets of end grain balsa core that can go with it and I think I still have some 24 oz stitch mat and a gallon of polyester resin.

She needs work to put together but for what I am selling it for I am in the Red by about 50% based upon what I gave for it, what I put into it in materials and the price of the transom assy.

I think she'd really love a 383....

Greg Guimond
01-30-2011, 08:10 PM
What zip code is this located in?

Rootsy
01-30-2011, 08:15 PM
Im interested. Where is the boat located?

Bout 30 miles due North of the Indiana, Ohio, Michigan tri-line.

Zipcode - 49252 - Litchfield, Michigan

Rootsy
01-30-2011, 08:37 PM
This is the entire album of what I have for the journey I began on with 18-105. Beware there are over 30 pages of photos. If you click the photo thumbnail it'll take you to a larger one... Click that larger one to get the mega image...

http://www.jarootfarms.com/photogallery/thumbnails.php?album=7&page=1

A few that were asked for...

Buddyc
01-30-2011, 08:49 PM
Im very much interested. What is LOA? I would have to get a u haul to get it home. Please pm me your info and I would like to move forward. Im very firmiliar with fiberglass work ( own body shop) and it would be something me and my two little boys can restore together and enjoy
Thank you,
Bud

Buddyc
01-30-2011, 09:00 PM
WOW, wish I had any Money right now, MIKE, you got any $ put away? Can drop it off in Tenn. You know that is my favorite color combo in a barrel back. Seriously Rootsy if you get any interest from anyone in the south,like you did back in April, I will be in Michigan next week & could assist getting it back down south for you or a buyer. Cost would be nothing, unless someone wanted to pour a little Diesel in the tank. Get in touch with me if you need me & I will try & figure a way to bring 2 trailers up instead of just one. Great Luck with it. A bargain don't even come close! Tom
I would have you pick it up for me...That would be great!:yes:

Greg Guimond
01-30-2011, 09:03 PM
Buddy, are you buying the boat?

donzi racer
01-30-2011, 09:09 PM
Work it out with Rootsy & give me a ring 256-777-0844. The only bad thing about this one being your 1st Donzi, is you won't be able to upgrade later. This is about as good as it gets. Oh yea, you can sell it to me when you are done. ha ha Good luck, Tom

Buddyc
01-30-2011, 09:19 PM
Thanks Tom,
We spoke a while back about a 87 limited Minx and you helped me out greatly... I know how you like a Minx :)
I will try to get hold of him and can move forward right away... Already got a bead on the 383. This would be great!!!

Buddyc
01-30-2011, 09:20 PM
Buddy, are you buying the boat?
If he will sell it to me hell yeah!

donzi racer
01-30-2011, 09:42 PM
Thought that was you Buddy. He had his phone # in the 1st post. 734 755 6013 Call him before I breakdown & go out selling blood or something. Good Luck! Tom

Buddyc
01-30-2011, 09:48 PM
Thought that was you Buddy. He had his phone # in the 1st post. 734 755 6013 Call him before I breakdown & go out selling blood or something. Good Luck! Tom
I will in the Am... its 1045 here and dont want to piss him off on our first contact...lol
Sent him pm also. I have the cash ready... Just have to tell the wife it cost me a grand (dont ask) lol

Buddyc
01-31-2011, 09:02 AM

Hey Tom,
Talked with Jamie and all is good. Either contact me or him to find out when you will be in his neck of the woods. Big snow coming soon.
Have a great day,
Buddy

LKSD
01-31-2011, 12:20 PM
Buddy,

If you follow thru with the boat and you need anything or help getting it up and running feel free to give me a shout.. :)

I dont think I am too far from you (I am in North Eastern PA & I think you are in NJ)..

That boat has the makings of a nice classic project with a decent head start.. :) I hope it works out for you.. :)

Jamie / Lakeside Restorations

Buddyc
01-31-2011, 01:28 PM
Buddy,

If you follow thru with the boat and you need anything or help getting it up and running feel free to give me a shout.. :)

I dont think I am too far from you (I am in North Eastern PA & I think you are in NJ)..

That boat has the makings of a nice classic project with a decent head start.. :) I hope it works out for you.. :)

Jamie / Lakeside Restorations

Thank you Jamie. I plan on moving forward as soon as I get her. Looking into powerplants now.
You have a great rep on here and will be in touch.

donzi racer
01-31-2011, 01:53 PM
Hey Tom,
Talked with Jamie and all is good. Either contact me or him to find out when you will be in his neck of the woods. Big snow coming soon.
Have a great day,
Buddy

Congrats Buddy, get in touch when you get a chance at mishunaire@aol.com. Tom

LKSD
01-31-2011, 06:52 PM
Thank you Jamie. I plan on moving forward as soon as I get her. Looking into powerplants now.
You have a great rep on here and will be in touch.

No problemo.. & Thanks.. :)

Conrgats on the new to you boat.. :) Jamie / Lakeside Restorations

Buddyc
01-31-2011, 08:15 PM
Now I just have to find a trailer to get her home... Any ideas where to look or what to look for?

LKSD
01-31-2011, 08:42 PM
Now I just have to find a trailer to get her home... Any ideas where to look or what to look for?
I can help with that too feel free to give me a call during the day tomorrow. :) jamie

Buddyc
02-01-2011, 08:22 PM
Thank you Rootsy,
Sent money today and look forward to getting her... Hopefully the weather will hold out and the barn wont fall down with all the darn snow.
You have made me and my little boys very happy

donzi racer
02-01-2011, 10:08 PM
Rootsy, just curious to see what drive train this early barrel back would have had to have the starboard steering? Or did it have the Volvo & 289 but someone just ordered it with the right hand steering? Thanks & hope the snow does not last too long up there. Tom

Rootsy
02-04-2011, 02:50 PM
Sold

Rootsy
02-04-2011, 03:00 PM
Rootsy, just curious to see what drive train this early barrel back would have had to have the starboard steering? Or did it have the Volvo & 289 but someone just ordered it with the right hand steering? Thanks & hope the snow does not last too long up there. Tom

It is my understanding that this boat came from Donzi with a small V8 Buick and an OMC Stringer Drive configuration. The engine sat in a cradle that raised and lowered on a pivot. There was a large bellow on the transom opening to seal. An early attempt at power trim if you will. So the engine / drive stayed in line and the whole thing tilted by the cradle the engine was in.

In this hull you can see the added mounting pad just in front of the transom were the bracket mounted. the original cutout was very large and matches the Stringer Drive profile. Someone had retrofitted a volvo drive and engine and used a piece of stainless or aluminum plate to cover the huge hole in the transom and cut a smaller hole for the volvo.

An interesting tidbit is that the hull just before this one, #104, is supposed to have a radius keel like the post barrel backs and all the 16s.

http://hhscott.com/evinrude/omc_stringer.htm

Buddyc
02-04-2011, 04:40 PM
Rootsy, I love hearing all about this stuff... What do you know about the history on the Red Mistress?

DAULEY
02-04-2011, 07:02 PM
time to start a new post.
restoring a 66 18 barrel back

Buddyc
02-04-2011, 08:24 PM
time to start a new post.
restoring a 66 18 barrel back
Agreed:wink:

donzi racer
02-04-2011, 09:10 PM
Thanks Jamie for the answer to the Starboard Steering question. Extremely interesting story. I remember seeing some Buick powerplants on the Barrel Back Spreadsheet but was always wondering about them. Was there not a whole history about The Red Mistress on the donzi.org website when you started it? Is that history around still? I could not find it when I went looking. Thanks again, Tom

jerseyguy
02-07-2011, 07:12 PM
Buddy....your PM's are full.
Get ahold of me... :nilly:

Buddyc
02-07-2011, 11:08 PM
Buddy....your PM's are full.
Get ahold of me... :nilly:

Sent pm