PDA

View Full Version : Lakeside Restorations updated website!

LKSD
04-18-2010, 08:36 AM
Finally got our new website updated with all of our many current services and much more that we offer for both Marine and Auto. Take a look to see what we can offer you. Jamie and Kristin:)

www.LakesideRestorations.com

thatgirl
04-18-2010, 09:02 AM
hi my name is tony and i am proud to be part of the donzi family. i am buying a 18 2=3 and have some questions .the boat has been sitting winterized and shink wraped for eight years .fuel was stabalised .what should i exspect.thank you for your help tony g.

Just Say N20
04-18-2010, 09:09 AM
Jamie,

Great job on the website!

Just Say N20
04-18-2010, 09:23 AM
Welcome to the site (at least relative to posting) thatgirl.

8 years is a long time for gas to sit, even with a stabilizer. Does the gas still smell like gas, or is it smelling like varnish?

If it smells like gas, I would drain it out and try and use it in a lawnmower. Either way I would drain it.

You might be lucky if it was before Florida (if that is where the boat is from, I assumed that you would be buying local) started widespread use of 10% ethanol in gas. The ethanol will attract water (through something as small as the vent hose/fitting), and ethanol fuel also has more of a tendency to layer, or stratify, which means there would be a layer of water sitting on the bottom of the tank.

I also assume the boat is a 1973, and if the tank hasn't been replaced, it might be a good time to consider that. The tank could be in good shape, but it could be sitting in a casing of water-logged foam. Hopefully others with similar age boats with chime in with their experiences.

Jamie,

LKSD
04-18-2010, 10:21 AM
Welcome to the site (at least relative to posting) thatgirl.
8 years is a long time for gas to sit, even with a stabilizer. Does the gas still smell like gas, or is it smelling like varnish?
If it smells like gas, I would drain it out and try and use it in a lawnmower. Either way I would drain it.
You might be lucky if it was before Florida (if that is where the boat is from, I assumed that you would be buying local) started widespread use of 10% ethanol in gas. The ethanol will attract water (through something as small as the vent hose/fitting), and ethanol fuel also has more of a tendency to layer, or stratify, which means there would be a layer of water sitting on the bottom of the tank.
I also assume the boat is a 1973, and if the tank hasn't been replaced, it might be a good time to consider that. The tank could be in good shape, but it could be sitting in a casing of water-logged foam. Hopefully others with similar age boats with chime in with their experiences.
Jamie,

Thanks Bill... :) :)

Tony,

I agree with Bill.. That is a long time to sit even with stabilizer. I would not try to run that fuel thru the engine & carb. You should have it removed & start with fresh. You may also need to have the carb cleaned if any of the fuel varnished inside. I would also recommend changing the oils/lubes in the engine & drive and start fresh. One other item that is important is your impeller. Even if it was new when it was stored 8 years ago it has likely dried out & formed to the case & lost its' needed flexibility. So it should also be serviced.. Beyond that run it & see, you may also consider a tune up.. :)

Hope that helps... Good luck & welcome to the group.. :)

Jamie / Lakeside

MOP
04-18-2010, 05:56 PM
hi my name is tony and i am proud to be part of the donzi family. i am buying a 18 2=3 and have some questions .the boat has been sitting winterized and shink wraped for eight years .fuel was stabalised .what should i exspect.thank you for your help tony g.

That is a very long time for any engine to sit ans shrunk wrapped to boot! If not properly vented shrink wrap raises cane with a boat, any trapped moisture gets into every thing. Have you looked over the hull carefully, I would not be surprised if you found blistering. I seen several that the wrap was left on blister on the hull sides. The fuels system shoud be completely cleaned, no matter what was used!

Phil

fasttrucker
04-19-2010, 10:40 AM
rebiuld the carb.

gcarter
04-19-2010, 12:47 PM
Jamie, site looks good.