PDA

View Full Version : transom plate removal

glashole
04-15-2010, 06:54 AM
A friend of mine is in need of transom repair

in order to get this done the fiberglass guy has asked that the drive and transom plate be removed

The drive is a 1997 bravo three and the boat is a small cuddy cabin

I have removed the drive easy enough and have gotten inside behind the motor to remove the 6 nuts that i could find that look to be attaching the transom plate to the corresponding plate inside the bilge

i am assuming that the transom plate is stuck to the back of the boat with an adhesive but want to make sure i am going about this correctly.

are there more bolts to be removed?
does the engine have to be removed?
do i just try to cut the adhesive behind the plate and the whole mess will come off?

and help would be appreciated

Shea

realbold
04-15-2010, 07:11 AM
You need to pull the engine.

glashole
04-15-2010, 07:35 AM
not really what i wanted to hear but was assuming that was going to be the case

gcarter
04-15-2010, 08:14 AM
After the engine is out, there'll be four studs to remove nuts from, and as many as six bolts, but at least four bolts to remove from the inside.
After that, someone may have glued the exterior gimbal housing to the transom!!!!!:nilly:

bertsboat
04-15-2010, 12:18 PM
Then after all that work just go down to Home Depot and get some NEW WOOD and put it and that's it till next time. It's really east,thats why we use WOOD again. It's so easy, just a couple cases of beer and a few week ends and $50.00 worth of wood and you good to go.

realbold
04-15-2010, 07:36 PM
Then after all that work just go down to Home Depot and get some NEW WOOD and put it and that's it till next time. It's really east,thats why we use WOOD again. It's so easy, just a couple cases of beer and a few week ends and $50.00 worth of wood and you good to go.
:confused: :screwy:

MOP
04-16-2010, 10:11 AM
Shea the job can not be done until everything is removed, check the bottom two studs which are aluminum even in fresh water they may be deteriorated! All in all you have eight studs coming through, the two lower ones are near impossible to get at.

glashole
04-16-2010, 11:15 AM
the bottom 2 are the last ones i took out and they will come but it is a real pain

assumed by looking at it there must be a couple more that I couldn't see