PDA

View Full Version : Does Speaker Performance Count?

LuauLounge
04-15-2010, 12:55 AM
I have a 22 Zx and although I am not trying to compete with the Rollbar boats, good sound is important. I am more interested in what I can hear in the boat, typically idleing around, cause at speed, I'd rather listen to the engine.

I am looking for suggestions, I am looking at new speakers to replace the originals, new speakers installed in the cockpit access holes and a subwoofer in the cuddy.

I am also looking at the best bang for the buck. I spent the 70's selling high end stereo gear and those days are long gone. Spent too much money, although I still have and use my JBL L100's.

The Kenwood P-WD250MRW is what I am planning for the sub. Looking for suggestions for the round 6 1/2"s.

As always, thanks in advance.

Sweet Cheekz
04-15-2010, 06:40 AM
JL Audio Marine are very hard to beat
Parnell

Ed Donnelly
04-15-2010, 07:15 AM
I have a pair of Bose 131 in the Criterion. good sound for the mid range..Ed

VetteLT193
04-15-2010, 08:17 AM
In my experience the amp means more than the speakers.

I had regular JBL Marine speakers in my Minx. but the head unit was awesome (clarion waterproof). sounded fantastic. Actually sounded better than my new Donzi with Sony stuff.

Mckillop
04-15-2010, 09:13 AM
JL Audio Marine are very hard to beat
Parnell

X2. JL Audio all the way!

mikev
04-15-2010, 09:58 AM
I put Sony Explod speakers and amp in mine from walmart 5 years ago. It was inexpensive the speakers have poly cones so can get wet and sound really good and are still going strong bang for the buck they are great.

Conquistador_del_mar
04-15-2010, 10:00 AM
I spent the 70's selling high end stereo gear and those days are long gone. Spent too much money, although I still have and use my JBL L100's.

I can't help you with the newer equipment, but I wanted to mention that I also bought some JBL L100s back in 1972 that I still use. They look and sound as good today as they did almost 40 years ago. I had to get some replacement grills, though. If you didn't know it, there is a guy on Ebay selling exact waffle design replacement grills for them. Bill

glashole
04-15-2010, 10:24 AM
Tom (fishing Sucks) here on the board has an awesome set up- lights and everything hooked into the stereo

hopefully he will chime in and let you know his system specs because it did more than the trick

in my opinion though a regular set of quality big name car audio speakers are generally very well built and will take quite a bit of marine abuse- granted they are not submurged in water

someone will obvioulsy come in and say they are nfg but i have been using them in my cruiser and can say that they work just fine
i am using boston pro mids and highs and mtx subs with big mtx amps

mrfixxall
04-15-2010, 10:38 AM
Memphis audio!! had great luck with it,,it just plane rocks..I too in the late 80's early 90's was in the car audio business but i missed wrenching on cars and boats so i went back the the real sound..jl, Memphis,ans all other high end stereo equipment now a days are pretty reliable..

http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/products/marine-products/

The Hedgehog
04-15-2010, 11:46 AM
I was impressed with Tex's Memphis Audio stuff as well.

I have a number of Sony products in my boats and they sound fine. Not as good as the memphis stuff though

mike o
04-15-2010, 01:16 PM
All the Sony 6.5's in the 18C with JL Audio (2) 6.5's and the 7.7 (4) component that has separate tweeters. Huge major diff with the same power.......... Anybody have blown Sony 6.5? I got 4 good ones cheap..........:kingme:

Sweet Cheekz
04-15-2010, 04:09 PM
- granted they are not submurged in water

You probably will have bigger worries than music if your speakers actually get submerged. :nilly:

Parnell

yeller
04-15-2010, 11:27 PM
Probably the best speaker you'll find for < $100.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB651/Polk-Audio-db651.html?c=3&tp=95&avf=N

4 of these with a sub and you won't be disappointed.