PDA

View Full Version : trailer tires

Zinger
04-13-2010, 09:10 PM
I need to get new tires for my 22, I have read many replies on truck tires vs trailer tires. I found a set of rims and tires for a trailer at 100 bucks a piece, this is really cheap for this set not sure of the quality. Anyways most of the highway driving is between 55 to 75 . I heard some claims they had failures with new trailer tires and good results with truck tires. What are most of you guys running on your trailers. Thanks Jp

osur866
04-13-2010, 09:17 PM
I'll simply say this, truck and trailer tires are differnt, use the correct tire for it's application, my trailer has trailer tires on It and my truck has truck tires.

MDonziM
04-13-2010, 09:19 PM
I bought a new trailer for my 22 2 years ago and the tires that came on it only lasted about 700 mi before the trailer started shimmering. Had all the wheels spun balanced.... same shimmering. Tire guy finally said the belts shifted on 1 or 2 of the tires "cheap chineese crap". Bought 4 new goodyears and problem solved, not sure what model.

mrfixxall
04-13-2010, 09:28 PM
I wouldn't have radial tires on a trailer again! i just buy the carlisle bias ply tires, ran the same tires on my single axle trailer that was under my x for 15 years and never had a blow out,have them on my tandem axle trailer now for the past 10 years and no issues..the radials only seem to last 5 yrs before they blow out..

just my o2

Planetwarmer
04-14-2010, 12:35 AM
I have Carlisle tires on my trailer. Due to the fact that trailers generally have far less suspension travel and carry heavy loads, it is important to run trailer specific tires. They have thicker (more plies) sidewalls and higher load ratings.

Team Jefe
04-14-2010, 06:49 AM
I get beat up eveytime this subject comes up becasue I WILL NOT use trialer tires on anything. Why? because of the evidence I have on each.

My expereince My trailer came with (4) 15" carlisles....had blown out all of them and replaced with Goodyears within 2000 miles travel.

Blew out 3 of the 4 goodyears within another 1000 miles.

That's 7 in in just over a year.....NO more my friends.

Pulled those 15" POS's off and retrofitted the trailer with 16" wheels and LT265 70R 16 Load Range E Truck tires.

Knock on wood....So far.....Not a single blow out and the trailer tracks like it on rails behind the truck...no wobble, no nothing,

(2) problems I have had is that the tires last so long I have to replace them due to dry rot. and the added bouyancy made the trailer float....small issues compared to changing a tire by yourself at 2AM on a busy stretch of I-10.

And replacements are pretty cheap. I buy pull offs from Discount Tire....they are easy to get around here since all the Bubbas' don't want that stock stuff on their trucks, I can basically buy brand new tires for about $35-$50 each, mounted, balanced and Road HAzard Warranty.

Yes, I had the initial investment ot go to 16" wheels, but sold the 15" stuff and it was a wash. for a while I didn;t even have to buy tires as I would use the ones from my truck and get new truck tires. (Now the new truck has 17").

Y'all say waht you want....I know my expereinces and Load Range E LT tires are what I use.

Tidbart
04-14-2010, 06:53 AM
I have truck radial tires on my trailer, but they meet the load ratings. If I remember correctly, 3000# @ 80 psi each.

Bob

VetteLT193
04-14-2010, 07:36 AM
I get beat up eveytime this subject comes up becasue I WILL NOT use trialer tires on anything. Why? because of the evidence I have on each.

My expereince My trailer came with (4) 15" carlisles....had blown out all of them and replaced with Goodyears within 2000 miles travel.

Blew out 3 of the 4 goodyears within another 1000 miles.

That's 7 in in just over a year.....NO more my friends.

Pulled those 15" POS's off and retrofitted the trailer with 16" wheels and LT265 70R 16 Load Range E Truck tires.

Knock on wood....So far.....Not a single blow out and the trailer tracks like it on rails behind the truck...no wobble, no nothing,

(2) problems I have had is that the tires last so long I have to replace them due to dry rot. and the added bouyancy made the trailer float....small issues compared to changing a tire by yourself at 2AM on a busy stretch of I-10.

And replacements are pretty cheap. I buy pull offs from Discount Tire....they are easy to get around here since all the Bubbas' don't want that stock stuff on their trucks, I can basically buy brand new tires for about $35-$50 each, mounted, balanced and Road HAzard Warranty.

Yes, I had the initial investment ot go to 16" wheels, but sold the 15" stuff and it was a wash. for a while I didn;t even have to buy tires as I would use the ones from my truck and get new truck tires. (Now the new truck has 17").

Y'all say waht you want....I know my expereinces and Load Range E LT tires are what I use.

Your problem was more than likely overloaded tires not trailer tire specific. A 30 footer should not be running on 4 15" wheels. My 28 runs on 6 of them. If I really wanted a dual axle I would have gone to a minimum of 16" wheels... probably with 6 lugs.

It is very important to look at the load range of the tire. Most dealers sell on price, not quality, so even with something with a good name like goodyear you will more than likely find Load Range 'C' tires in stock (for 15" wheels). that means 1820 pounds of capacity. So, 4 LR C tires will hold an absolute max of 7280 pounds. that includes the boat and the trailer.

Bias ply tires are better for longevity. Radials are better for wear. considering most people don't wear out the tread on their trailer tires I lean towards ply.

Team Jefe
04-14-2010, 01:33 PM
Vette, you're mostly right, but I did have ST225/75 D15 8-ply on there rated at 2540# each on 6 Lug hubs. with the rig weight a little over 9,500#'s technically the tires had the capacity.

and I specifically ordered a tandem axle trailer to avoid the issues of manuvering a triple....I was just a little naive about the tire size/load ratings:confused:

What was happening is they delaminated at speed. so being at max load capacity they got too hot and I would have had to reduce my speeds to around 60 MPH to make them last longer....Not gonna happen, I drive how I drive and I will adjust the equipment to handle that.

So I made the trailer work for me and use 10-ply truck tires rated at 3415#

Of course this was years ago, and I know they have some nicer ST tires out there, with 10-ply 15" and such...still this works for me and I can get the tires cheap.

Its my 2-cents

RickSE
04-14-2010, 02:25 PM
The original 2002 Goodyear Marathon tires under my 22 have been from,

FL-TX
TX-NM
NM-AZ
6-years on the road going back and forth to the lake here in AZ
AZ-FL
then back again FL-AZ

Never had a single issue with these tires.

VetteLT193
04-14-2010, 02:45 PM
Vette, you're mostly right, but I did have ST225/75 D15 8-ply on there rated at 2540# each on 6 Lug hubs. with the rig weight a little over 9,500#'s technically the tires had the capacity.

and I specifically ordered a tandem axle trailer to avoid the issues of manuvering a triple....I was just a little naive about the tire size/load ratings:confused:

What was happening is they delaminated at speed. so being at max load capacity they got too hot and I would have had to reduce my speeds to around 60 MPH to make them last longer....Not gonna happen, I drive how I drive and I will adjust the equipment to handle that.

Of course this was years ago, and I know they have some nicer ST tires out there, with 10-ply 15" and such...still this works for me and I can get the tires cheap.

Its my 2-cents

That makes sense.

I was worried about triple too. The trailer company talked me into it... said I wouldn't have any problem. He was right. it really isn't much different than tandem.

MOP
04-14-2010, 03:08 PM
I have a tad over 9,000 on my trailer radials, I had new stems and a good looking over by my local tire shop. He said they look great and will go another 6-7k miles. The trailer that came with my 22 had biased plies on it they beat the krap out of the boat and you could feel it in the Sub. I could not push my boat by hand in the flat driveway with the radials I can, I'll stick with radials they tow much easier. Tires, oil and T tabs get very mixed opinions!

gcarter
04-15-2010, 06:57 AM
I'm not a tire engineer, but it seems to me that there's nothing magic about trailer tires. I think anything you can say about the requirements of trailer tires would apply to truck tires.
I think trailer tires are de-contented truck tires....they're not required to turn corners like the front tires of a truck for instance.
Radials are easier to roll than bias tires, and are more effective at stopping due to the fact that the tread doesn't close up like a bias tire does.
I think if a person has a bad experience w/a particular tire, whether trailer or truck, do some homework and make better choices the next time.

mc donzi
04-15-2010, 07:24 AM

Its my 2-cents

If you're concerned with your tires overheating, you can replace the air with nitrogen.

Tidbart
04-15-2010, 07:49 AM
If you're concerned with your tires overheating, you can replace the air with nitrogen.

Nitrogen does nothing for the operating temperature of a tire. On the other hand, proper inflation does.

B

Cuda
04-15-2010, 09:18 AM
I think a truck tire will be fine. I had a triple axle under the Formula, and they tend to push the center wheel.

mikev
04-15-2010, 10:03 AM
I have had a set ot towmax tires on mine for about 5 years now still going strong no blow outs they were pretty cheap. they dont like curbs though i took one out bent the crap out of the rim but that was my fault.:frown:

bertsboat
04-15-2010, 11:23 AM
i bought a new trailer for my 22 2 years ago and the tires that came on it only lasted about 700 mi before the trailer started shimmering. Had all the wheels spun balanced.... Same shimmering. Tire guy finally said the belts shifted on 1 or 2 of the tires "cheap chineese crap". Bought 4 new goodyears and problem solved, not sure what model.

why didn't you just use the same crap that you took off. You can just replace them again some time. Like using wood to fix the rotten wood in your boat? Same thing isn't it??

mc donzi
04-16-2010, 08:04 AM
Nitrogen does nothing for the operating temperature of a tire. On the other hand, proper inflation does.

B

Recently we bought a new car for my wife.. the tires were inflated with nitrogen. The service manager at the dealership told me that nitrogen does not get hot like normal air does. When air gets hot it expands. When it expands the inflation increases. BOOM!!:frown:

VetteLT193
04-16-2010, 08:30 AM
Recently we bought a new car for my wife.. the tires were inflated with nitrogen. The service manager at the dealership told me that nitrogen does not get hot like normal air does. When air gets hot it expands. When it expands the inflation increases. BOOM!!:frown:

Nitrogen Vs. Air won't do anything for temp in theory. the reason why they help with expansion is Nitrogen is dry. it is the moisture that causes all the problems. Nitrogen is very stable from a temperature perspective while water turns to steam and which of course is not PSI stable.

Anyway, all that said, I have run Nitro and of course regular air. couldn't tell a difference. I can tell you that my air compressor at the house only pumps air and that is what I use to fill the tires because it is better to be on top of air pressure than to have a PITA time refilling nitrogen tires.

mc donzi
04-16-2010, 09:30 AM
I agree that finding nitrogen could be a PITA. The service mgr. also told us that in the case of a leak in a nitrogen filled tire that it was OK to top it up with air.

The reason that I brought the subject up was that prior to buying this vehicle I was not aware that nitrogen was being used as an alternative to air in tires to maintain a more constant pressure and I thought that maybe there were a few others that were living under the same rock as me. :wink:

Tidbart
04-16-2010, 10:24 AM

Just a thought, What makes you think a service manager at a dealership knows anything about nitrogen and tires?:wink:

BTW, The air you are referring to is almost 80% nitrogen to begin with. A properly inflated tire will never get so hot that it will expand the air inside to a point that the tire will explode. Just won't happen.

Bob

G-MAN
04-16-2010, 02:58 PM
tires have a 10 year life span, they are date coded on the side wall- 9933
would be the 33rd week of 1999 0542 42nd week of 05 if older than 10 years beware.

mc donzi
04-17-2010, 06:11 AM
would be the 33rd week of 1999 0542 42nd week of 05 if older than 10 years beware.

I was aware of the date codes but was told that the life span was about 7 years if the tires were not exposed to UV- less if stored outdoors. Maybe that was a tire guy trying to get into my wallet.

BTW- googled ' nitrogen inflated tires', Tidbart had better info. than I did.

Can't trust tire guys or dealer service managers.:wink:

CHACHI
04-17-2010, 06:59 PM
Dave, 7 years Canadian.......with the exchange and all. :wink::wink:

Ken

fegettes
04-17-2010, 10:58 PM
This has been an interesting subject on trailer tires, or truck tires. I believe the last time I went to buy tires, last October, I inquired about putting truck tires on my trailer. I was at Discount Tires there in League City and they told me that they could not put anything but trailer tires on my trailer saying that the truck tires were not rated for the trailer and they would be liable if there were a blow out.

Steve

Walt. H.
04-18-2010, 12:42 AM
Steve,
This is what I do, I walk into a tire shop tell them what I want and if they have it in stock I already have the wheels in the back of my truck bed and tell them don't scratch the rims please and use the short tire valve stems.

Then its thank you and good bye, I sure wouldn't want to bring a boat on a trailer anyway.
Walt

Cuda
04-18-2010, 06:24 PM
I've never seen a tire explode for any reason. Have you ever watched them mount tires? They run it up to about 200 psi and then stick the valve in it.

Cuda
04-18-2010, 06:27 PM
I've run trailer tires a helluva lot longer than ten years.

Cuda
04-18-2010, 06:29 PM
This has been an interesting subject on trailer tires, or truck tires. I believe the last time I went to buy tires, last October, I inquired about putting truck tires on my trailer. I was at Discount Tires there in League City and they told me that they could not put anything but trailer tires on my trailer saying that the truck tires were not rated for the trailer and they would be liable if there were a blow out.

Steve
I had the same thing happen to me, so I pulled across the street, took the wheel off, and had them put a truck tire on it.

MOP
04-18-2010, 07:22 PM
Special Trailer Tires Vs Passenger Tires
There are distinct differences in the way passenger tires and trailer tires are
designed, engineered, and constructed. There are also differences in the service
requirements between the tires on your car or truck and those on your trailer.
Traction, or grip, is a key element in the design of passenger tires. Traction
moves your car or truck down the road. Traction allows you to stop, turn and
swerve, and traction also gives you the ability to tow your trailer. Another
important consideration in passenger tire design is “ride”. Ride, traction, and
handling are all achieved in passenger tire designs by adding flex in the sidewall.
By making the sidewall more flexible, tire engineers maximize tread contact with
the road, thus increasing traction and allowing the driver to maintain better
control over the vehicle.
Traction is only a factor on trailers equipped with brakes, during braking
operations, because trailers are followers. In fact, sidewall flexing in a trailer
application is a negative. Sidewall flexing on trailers carrying heavy loads;
trailers with high vertical side loads (enclosed/travel trailers); or trailers with light
tongue weights, is a primary cause of trailer sway. Automotive radial tires with
their flexible sidewalls notably accentuate trailer sway problems. The stiffer
sidewalls and higher operating pressures common with Special Trailer (ST) tires
helps control and reduce the occurrence of trailer sway. Bottom line, trailers are
more stable and pull better on tires designed specifically for trailer use.
Also consider that all Light Truck (LT) and Special Trailer (ST) tires are fully rated
for trailer applications. This means the tires can carry their full sidewall weight
rating when used on a trailer. When passenger tires are used on a trailer, the
load capacity of tire must be de-rated by 10%. If the tire has a maximum load
rating of 1900 lb., it may only be used in a trailer application up to 1710 lb. This
means the GAWR rating on the trailer Certification Label must not exceed 3420
lbs. On a single axle trailer, or 2 times 1710 lbs.
For trailer use, it is important to match the tires to the application and payload.
Since Special Trailer (ST) tires are constructed with more and heavier materials,
they are tougher and more bruise resistant than typical passenger tires. This is a
plus because trailer suspension systems are generally stiffer and less
sophisticated than automotive suspension systems. A tire designed to operate in
the more demanding trailer environment will provide end users a longer service
life and withstand the added abuse tires on a trailer experience.
Bias ply Special Trailer tire technology has been moving trailers around America
for nearly 30 years, and more recently, the ST Radial arrived on the scene
providing the same durability and dependability in a radial trailer tire. For many
trailer buyers, tire decisions are purely price based. The allure of an equal price
and the word “radial” for that price draws some customers to the passenger tire.
Taskmaster hopes this explanation of the differences will help you make a more
informed decision on your next trailer tire purchase.

RickR
04-18-2010, 08:22 PM
I pull our 22C with a 3/4 ton diesel with Load Range E tires. Trailer is a Rolls rated at 6000#s so it is very stiff for a 22C.
After a trailer tire failure (Maxxis radial trailer tires) which caused extensive damage I went with a passenger tire radial.
Softened up the trailer ride. NO sway problems. Better braking and wet weather traction.
3 years and about 5000 miles. No problems :)
These are the tires 225/70/14
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Firehawk+Indy+500

Team Jefe
04-18-2010, 10:30 PM

Steve

That is very interesting, League City is a bunch on mamby-pamby's anyway. Had Discount in Pearland, Tx City and Webster do it with the boat sitting on the trailer taking up several bays in the shop....and for pull-offs as well. No issues, they replaced the rusty lug nuts, Corrosion X the hubs and did a fine job. Pearland is the best, always check there first for pull-offs

Zinger
04-23-2010, 10:05 AM
Recieved my maypops today, New aluminum mag and radial trailer tire for 110 bucks. They look really good. I'm going to take it to a tire store and have them check it out and spin balance them. Good deal