PDA

View Full Version : Prop for 16 with 4.3? and advice on trim tabs.

kozaman
04-12-2010, 10:28 PM
I just bought a 1994 16 with a 4.3LX and Alpha drive. What is the correct prop for top end speed on this set up? And what true top speed should I get out of it ( On a GPS).

Finally..... Are trim tabs worth it on a 16? And if so, please recommend size and brand and approx price.

Thanks.

JEFF

kozaman
04-13-2010, 12:24 PM
I thought many of you would weigh in on this issue. Hmmmmm....

JEFF

VetteLT193
04-13-2010, 12:40 PM
probably just missed. it happens.

I am sure someone that has had your setup will chime in on the prop and tabs.

As far as tabs go, do you have problems where you will need them? Tabs help balance the load and run slower. But the hook on the 16 should make the boat be pretty stable at slower speeds. Balance I can't say if it is worth it because I don't know your situation.

I used them on the Minx mainly for very slow cruising with the little kids on board. for balance I found it easier to move one fat butt on each side of the boat instead of screwing getting the tabs just right.

Sweet Cheekz
04-13-2010, 12:40 PM
Jeff
Tabs are nice on a 16 to help if your boat porpoises and if you go out by yourself to level the boat. Bennett does a good job and used if you can find them 500-750 Not sure new
Parnell

Pismo
04-13-2010, 01:13 PM
I like my new Bennett ST9 trim tab set. Single rams, fairly small compact package. Would be good on a 16. Iuse them for load balance only on my 22.

mike o
04-13-2010, 01:43 PM
I ran a lazer II 25 p on my 4.3 lx 95 for the best top end. It ran right at 5k rpm, with no tabs on it. Search it for a 16, thats y I bought, I still have it, If my new 18C dosent like it, I going to sell It. :yes:

Oconee Bob
04-13-2010, 03:53 PM
I bought a 1995 16 in November and it had the wrong prop! With some very useful info from this group I decided to purchase a Turbo 1 (14-1/4 X 23). I have a 4.3 LX with a 1.84 gear reduction. Trimmed down, my boat turns 4700 RPM (WAO). Did not run GPS for true speed test yet (no balls)!!:hyper:

MOP
04-13-2010, 08:48 PM
IMO having had a 16 for 3 years tabs are one of the best improvements you can make, it lets you control porpoising. The biggy is they allow you to straight at idle speeds, without them the boat wags from side to side with you wearing out the steering trying to keep it straight. When you are going at idle speeds just put the tabs full down and it will track great!

mattyboy
04-14-2010, 08:22 AM
the best investment in a 16 is the right prop, with the correct prop you'll find the need to use tabs to correct handling issues like porpoising less and less.
Tabs are the next best investment as they will let you handle bigger water by keeping the nose down cutting thru it and will also let you balance side to side for uneven loads.

I never tried the tabs full down to correct the hunting issue, but i do remember I did back up once with them down and the drive nearly pulled the back of the boat under but my boat was really azz heavy a 4.3 and an alpha wouldn't have that problem

once my 16 was propped correctly the only time I used the tabs was when it got rough. like in 1000 islands when i managed to break the battery box and flip the battery up onto the motor between intake and exhaust riser with the hatch on :eek: or in lake george when i busted the mounting ears off my alt.

mine were boat levelor 9X12 tabs

not sure with the alpha what the best prop is Rootsy or Parnell would be better suited for that question.
with my old volvo 16 and a solas the porpoise speed was reduced to like a 3 mph range at like 23-25 mph with the ultra it was like a 10 mph range 25-35mph. so if i wanted to cruise at 30 with the ultra i needed tabs with the solas I didn't use tabs I just went 22 or 26 mph ;)

mattyboy
04-14-2010, 03:11 PM
sorry I forgot a biggy on the tabs if you are doing any water sports they come in handy.

for tubing if you have a small one who doesn't like to go to fast they help go slow without the nose in the air making it easier for the driver to see.

for wakeboarding you can pull the nose down and with the right rope you'll have a nice crest to surf.

skiing they make jumping on plane quicker