PDA

View Full Version : Garage work, finish the inside

Tidbart
04-12-2010, 06:27 PM
As some of you might remember, I barely do, I built a garage for the boat I didn't have. I posted some photos here: http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=45701&highlight=garage
Can't believe that was four years ago.
Well, since then, I did some other projects inside the house. Last year, I finally got around to getting an electrical panel in the garage. Kind of sad knowing what my profession is.:bonk:

So, this year I made a concerted effort to finish off the interior. First photo is of the finished exterior, as I never did post one of those.

I spent most of the last couple of months working on the garage, nights and weekends. First, I had to clean out everything that I had put in there for the last couple of years. That was a project in itself.:boggled:

Once cleaned out of most things I proceeded to do some more carpentry in prep for the lighting and cabinetry, etc. Then came the electrical wiring, the insulation, and the pneumatics for a compressor. I start the drywall this week, 5/8", no sag and hard to put a hole in.:yes:

If all goes well, be done this week with that. Off to N. Orleans next week, and when I get back start painting and finishing off the wiring. Hopefully be done before it gets too hot.

Here are some photos of my progress.

Bob

Tidbart
04-12-2010, 06:28 PM
a few more.....

bertsboat
04-12-2010, 06:42 PM
I didn't see the boat. Most guys on this site buy a boat and then either build a garage or leave the boat outside abd let it rot so we can buy it and put it in the garage we build just for such ocations.
YOU ARE DOING IT RIGHT !!!

fogducker III
04-12-2010, 07:12 PM
Quality work, hat is off..........:yes:

Tidbart
04-13-2010, 06:54 AM
I didn't see the boat. Most guys on this site buy a boat and then either build a garage or leave the boat outside and let it rot so we can buy it and put it in the garage we build just for such locations.
YOU ARE DOING IT RIGHT !!!

After building the garage in 06, I bought a 22C in 07. I had previously sold my 18 to make room for the garage project. In 08, I had a new trailer built for the 22. It was designed for the space available and just fits in the 32' space with a little room to spare. Anyways, I had to remove the boat and trailer to do the drywall. It is at a friend's house for a few days.

Bob

mc donzi
04-13-2010, 07:52 AM
Hey Bob,

Very nicely done!!

Hope that I'm not too late with this thought.

In lieu of drywall, have you considered using vertical vinyl siding??? It would mean that you have to strap the walls and ceiling but it's a finished product...no taping and painting, it comes in practically any colour(Cdn) you want. Tim Morris(he's on the board) finished his this way and it looks great. If it gets dirty, just hose it down. It has to be vinyl, not aluminum, so that it doesn't dent if it gets smacked. Can't imagine putting 5/8 sheets on the vaulted ceiling.

BTW... love your avatar.

Dave

Tidbart
04-13-2010, 09:15 AM
Hey Bob,

Very nicely done!!

Hope that I'm not too late with this thought.

In lieu of drywall, have you considered using vertical vinyl siding??? It would mean that you have to strap the walls and ceiling but it's a finished product...no taping and painting, it comes in practically any colour(Cdn) you want. Tim Morris(he's on the board) finished his this way and it looks great. If it gets dirty, just hose it down. It has to be vinyl, not aluminum, so that it doesn't dent if it gets smacked. Can't imagine putting 5/8 sheets on the vaulted ceiling.

BTW... love your avatar.

Dave

Actually, no, I hadn't really considered anything else. Drywall was delivered yesterday. Start today. Any drywall isn't bad with a lift. I sure as hell wasn't going to hold it up there.:bonk: Done that before and it sucked.

Thanks for the kind words.

Bob

Carl C
04-13-2010, 09:15 AM
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15417&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1229092865 (http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15417&d=1129230502) http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15418&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1229092865 (http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15418&d=1129230542) http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15419&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1229092865 (http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15419&d=1129230577)

Don't worry, if the boat won't fit there is an easy solution! Garage is looking good.

Craig S
04-13-2010, 11:18 AM
Nice! What is that on the floor? Sealer?

Tidbart
04-13-2010, 12:56 PM
Nice! What is that on the floor? Sealer?

Epoxy, paint chip system, full coverage on the chips.

See http://www.marbelite.com/terralite.htm Great stuff.

Bob

Cuda
04-13-2010, 07:23 PM
My garage is 40 feet long, but the back 12 feet are made into an insulated work shop. When I bought the 22, I cut a hole in the workshop wall, made a box on the workshop side, so I could back the 22 straight in. I had the Minx on the other side of the garage.

Tidbart
04-14-2010, 06:58 AM
Drywall started yesterday. Half of the ceiling is done.

Bob

Team Jefe
04-14-2010, 07:11 AM
Looking good Bob. I've got a 25 X 40 Garage that needs some Interior and electricla work...and I've got a guest suite you can use...hint, hint

Tidbart
04-14-2010, 09:21 AM
Looking good Bob. I've got a 25 X 40 Garage that needs some Interior and electricla work...and I've got a guest suite you can use...hint, hint

Well, I will need a vacation after this is finished..........:wink:

Cuda
04-14-2010, 12:46 PM
Drywall started yesterday. Half of the ceiling is done.

Bob
You're a glutton for punishment if you are drywalling the ceiling! I've seen guys do that with 12 foot boards! :eek:

CHACHI
04-14-2010, 01:08 PM
You're a glutton for punishment if you are drywalling the ceiling! I've seen guys do that with 12 foot boards! :eek:
5/8 I hope, 1/2 is nothing.

Ken

Tidbart
04-14-2010, 01:50 PM

Thankfully, the lift isn't very smart.:wink:

Cuda
04-14-2010, 03:41 PM
Yep, it was 5/8 and only two guys putting it up.

What I look for in a helper is a strong back and a weak mind. :)

glashole
04-14-2010, 03:47 PM
looks good

when i did mine i sheeted the whole thing with plywood and painted it all white

doesn't look as good as drywall but there are no issues with hanging anything

thehow33
04-14-2010, 06:25 PM
It looks really great nice job! Enjoy!

just a little tip, from the pictures its hard to tell but I would tighten the chain on your garage door operator. Its looks like it has too much slack....It wears out much quicker when it has that much slack.

CHACHI
04-14-2010, 06:54 PM
It looks really great nice job! Enjoy!

just a little tip, from the pictures its hard to tell but I would tighten the chain on your garage door operator. Its looks like it has too much slack....It wears out much quicker when it has that much slack.

Nothing on this board goes unoticed.

It is a tough crowd. :wink:

Ken

thehow33
04-14-2010, 07:31 PM
I know I even thought about it when I wrote it. The only reason I still posted it is because those gears wear out much quicker than they are suppose to and then the door guy comes out and says you need a whole new opener and your out another $300 bucks, unless you know how to do it yourself of course. I grew up putting garage doors in for extra bucks when I was teenager and still do occasionally when a friend calls.

Sorry Tidbart I wasn't trying to offend you because you really did an excellent job on the whole thing. So don't take it the wrong way.
Howie

Tidbart
04-15-2010, 06:43 AM
I know I even thought about it when I wrote it. The only reason I still posted it is because those gears wear out much quicker than they are suppose to and then the door guy comes out and says you need a whole new opener and your out another $300 bucks, unless you know how to do it yourself of course. I grew up putting garage doors in for extra bucks when I was teenager and still do occasionally when a friend calls.

Sorry Tidbart I wasn't trying to offend you because you really did an excellent job on the whole thing. So don't take it the wrong way.
Howie

No offense taken. I am glad you noticed it. Somethings go by the wayside over time. I installed the opener, so originally it was at the proper tension. I will take a closer look at it tonight.

You guys are right, not much goes unnoticed on this board. LOL :eek:

Bob

22billyzx
04-21-2010, 02:13 AM
good idea using 5/8 everywhere....did you know it also comes in 14 and 16 ft lenghts? ungodly heavy!

Tidbart
05-03-2010, 02:15 PM
Well, I have been busy with more finish work. Finished insulation, electrical, pneumatics, and drywall. Installed the baseboard last week. Finally got to painting on Saturday, primer only. Then a finish coat on Sunday. Got some brush work to do in the next couple of days. Here are some more photos.

Bob

PS: Those holes are for speakers.

gcarter
05-03-2010, 02:57 PM
So is central air next?

CaribouLou
05-03-2010, 03:21 PM
that looks sick! Congrats man, I love a quality job :yes:

BUIZILLA
05-03-2010, 04:03 PM
hot tub and water bed next?

CHACHI
05-03-2010, 04:28 PM
Bob, excellent job. I hope you wired for a dish.

Ken

Tidbart
05-03-2010, 05:30 PM
So is central air next?

It is wired for it in the future. I buried a 240v/30a circuit for a mini-split unit. Maybe next year. I am in need of long break after this is done.:yes: Maybe I will go boating.:boat:

Tidbart
05-03-2010, 05:34 PM
Bob, excellent job. I hope you wired for a dish.

Ken

Not on this garage, but the one on the house is wired for cable. I did this one over last year and then added a pool table.

Craig S
05-04-2010, 11:13 AM
Is that Racedeck? Tile?

Tidbart
05-04-2010, 11:37 AM
Is that Racedeck? Tile?

I assume you are talking about the floor in the attached garage?. Carpeting.

Craig S
05-04-2010, 01:12 PM
Yep...nice!

Tidbart
05-04-2010, 01:17 PM
Yep...nice!

It was nice until I went to find the repeat in the pattern. It was about 25' and took about a half hour to find.:yes:

Bob

Tidbart
05-26-2010, 06:22 PM
Well, been at for a few more weeks. About 99% done. Just have wire in the compressor and hook up the air lines. Then I can start putting in the cabinets and shelves, in an orderly fashion, so I can find things.:)

Bob

gcarter
05-26-2010, 06:28 PM
Bob, I'm impressed!

I really like it! :)

Tidbart
05-26-2010, 07:16 PM
Bob, I'm impressed!

I really like it! :)

Thanks, George. It has been a long haul!

Ghost
05-26-2010, 07:33 PM
Looks fantastic. I'm seriously envious.

zelatore
05-26-2010, 08:02 PM
Wow, that is nice. Plenty of lights as well - always a good thing.

But were are the other two bays? :wink:

Craig S
05-27-2010, 11:22 AM
Well, been at for a few more weeks. About 99% done. Just have wire in the compressor and hook up the air lines. Then I can start putting in the cabinets and shelves, in an orderly fashion, so I can find things.:)

Bob
...thats not carpet! Epoxy?

Ed Donnelly
05-27-2010, 11:26 AM
Hate to be a nitpicker....but... The blue border really needs some red pinstriping
to set it off..:wink::wink:..Ed

gcarter
05-27-2010, 11:45 AM
Hate to be a nitpicker....but... The blue border really needs some red pinstriping

And Ed........there's no boiler anywhere to be found.

Tidbart
05-27-2010, 11:54 AM
...thats not carpet! Epoxy?

That is correct. Epoxy/paint chip system. The house garage has the carpet in it.

B

Tidbart
05-27-2010, 11:56 AM

Saved that for later. I took the red pinstripes off the boat and wasn't sure if I wanted to put them back in red. I have been leaning toward silver. When I make up my mind on the boat, the garage will follow suit.

B

Tidbart
05-27-2010, 11:58 AM
And Ed........there's no boiler anywhere to be found.

Thank god. But, there will be A/C in the future.

zelatore
05-27-2010, 12:43 PM
Saved that for later. I took the red pinstripes off the boat and wasn't sure if I wanted to put them back in red. I have been leaning toward silver. When I make up my mind on the boat, the garage will follow suit.

B

Silver - now that sounds good. For both the boat and the Garage.:yes:

Tidbart
05-27-2010, 01:21 PM

Oh, Ed, thanks for noticing the stripe. I thought that would be the first thing noticed.:bonk: