PDA

View Full Version : Finally, Magnum search ends

MDonziM
04-12-2010, 08:07 AM
Thanks go out to all who helped in my search. 78' Starfire has landed. Needs work but is almost perfectly original. Looked like this in 1979. More to follow.

Marshall

lars
04-12-2010, 08:51 AM
Looks stunning!!!

Magnum 27 build lists 1978 courtesy of 'mr vinyl' on offshoreonly.com

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/magnum/227935-magnum-27-build-list.html#post3083146

MDonziM
04-12-2010, 09:00 AM
I saw that, thanks Lars.

Sweet Cheekz
04-12-2010, 09:12 AM
Congrats Welcome to the fraternity
Parnell

MDonziM
04-12-2010, 09:58 AM
Congrats Welcome to the fraternity
Parnell

Thanks SC, have you done anywork on yours yet? Curious if the fuel lines are secured between eng comp and tank(s). They appear to be in a pvc pipe conduit in the places I've seen so far.
Marshall

Conquistador_del_mar
04-12-2010, 11:33 AM
Marshall,
I am glad to hear that you found one. Does it need a complete restoration? Mine is on hold as I have taken on so many other projects, but I intend to get back to it soon. Bill

MDonziM
04-12-2010, 01:29 PM
Hey Bill,
Left you a message before, was hoping to talk to you about fuel lines. Needs mostly cosmetic work. The boat is actually all white gel with the black and red striped painted over so I will prob repaint the stripes.
Marshall

ITTLFLI
04-12-2010, 02:16 PM
Thanks go out to all who helped in my search. 78' Starfire has landed. Needs work but is almost perfectly original. Looked like this in 1979. More to follow.

Marshall

Nice ride! Congrats!:yes:

MDonziM
04-12-2010, 06:21 PM
Thanks Byron.

Sweet Cheekz
04-12-2010, 06:24 PM
Thanks SC, have you done anywork on yours yet? Curious if the fuel lines are secured between eng comp and tank(s). They appear to be in a pvc pipe conduit in the places I've seen so far.
Marshall

Marshall
It sits patiently waiting for me to finish the 21 then boat all summer then begin the very long journey, I suspect.
Mine is so gutted there are no fuel lines so I'm no help there Sorry. Keep us updated with pics when you can Good luck
Parnell

MDonziM
04-12-2010, 06:33 PM
Marshall,
I am glad to hear that you found one. Does it need a complete restoration? Mine is on hold as I have taken on so many other projects, but I intend to get back to it soon. Bill

Bill,
Here are the only pics so far showing the floor cutout.

Conquistador_del_mar
04-12-2010, 08:23 PM
Bill,
Here are the only pics so far showing the floor cutout.

Marshall,
It was good talking with you this afternoon. I think I now see what they did for the lowered floor section of the cockpit. Very cool looking boat. I will look forward to more pictures whenever you get a chance. Bill

Sweet Cheekz
04-12-2010, 08:25 PM
1st pic looks like they lowered the floor inside the first stringer and I assume all accross the floor to the other side?
Parnell

scippy
04-13-2010, 12:15 AM
Way to go Marshall!................I'll race ya from coney to sandy hook.

MDonziM
04-13-2010, 06:45 AM
Way to go Marshall!................I'll race ya from coney to sandy hook.
Ha, that would be fun. It is a throwback. Cant wait to see how she rides.

MDonziM
04-13-2010, 06:49 AM
1st pic looks like they lowered the floor inside the first stringer and I assume all accross the floor to the other side?
Parnell

Yes, the lowered section of floor measures roughly 4'x4'. About 2' of raised floor from the rear seat forward and about 10" from the storage panels on the sides to the stringers. Tough to see with the black carpet.
Marshall

Sweet Cheekz
04-13-2010, 08:07 AM
Can you stand in the bolster traight and have both feet in the well? Did they move the bolster in a little?
Thanks
Parnell

Conquistador_del_mar
04-13-2010, 10:23 AM
Ha, that would be fun. It is a throwback. Cant wait to see how she rides.

Marshall,
It dawned on me after we got off the phone that Magnum almost certainly placed the 5 fuel tanks forward to help compensate for the twin BBCs with TRS drives which have so much weight aft. Your boat should ride like a Cadillac and produce a very large wake. I really look forward to hearing about the maiden voyage. Bill

Sweet Cheekz
04-13-2010, 10:28 AM
Enlighten please, 5 fuel tanks? BBC's? TRS's?
PArnell

dammmagnum
04-13-2010, 11:57 AM
Yes, the lowered section of floor measures roughly 4'x4'. About 2' of raised floor from the rear seat forward and about 10" from the storage panels on the sides to the stringers. Tough to see with the black carpet.
Marshall

Marshall,
Nice looking Starfire,
When I lowered the floor in my Sport, I also went from side stringer to side stringer and re-inforced the center stringer and cut that down after I laminated/glassed 3/4" marine ply on both sides of it.
The lowered section was about 2 feet wide.
It sounds like the Plant may have done your lowering?

Thank you
Jim

smidgen too
04-13-2010, 12:02 PM
PArnell
Take a look at this Powerboat story on the Magnum Starfire from my box of stuff. :cool: Smidgen, h2o.....

dammmagnum
04-13-2010, 03:20 PM
Take a look at this Powerboat story on the Magnum Starfire from my box of stuff. :cool: Smidgen, h2o.....

Interesting, there is quit a bid of difference in the dash module on the Powerboat story Starfire and on Marshall's Starfire?

Marshall's looks more like a version of a Sport Dash.

Thank you
Jim

MDonziM
04-13-2010, 07:36 PM
I've never seen that dash configuration before. They swapped the steering wheel and instrument locations.

MDonziM
04-13-2010, 07:40 PM
Can you stand in the bolster traight and have both feet in the well? Did they move the bolster in a little?
Thanks
Parnell

If you look closely at the picture the drivers arm of the bolster is thicker than the passanger side. At the wheel my right foot is up against the 8" wall of the lowered floor and my feet are only about 1" apart.

MDonziM
04-13-2010, 07:46 PM
PArnell

As far as I have seen all Starfires had 454's and since production was mostly '78 - '80 they had TRS drives. Mine has 5 tanks (factory) which might be one of a kind. (2) 48 gal under cabin, (1) 42 gal forward of cabin bulkhead, (2) 18 gal forward of next bulkhead.

MDonziM
04-13-2010, 07:58 PM
Here is a recent pic. You can see 4 of the 5 gas tank caps.

Sweet Cheekz
04-13-2010, 08:17 PM
Great pic
Do the tanks gravity feed? Is the fifth fill on the starboard side half way back? Very interesting as I am struggling with what to do with my tanks and capacity. Thanks
Parnell

MDonziM
04-13-2010, 08:57 PM
Great pic
Do the tanks gravity feed? Is the fifth fill on the starboard side half way back? Very interesting as I am struggling with what to do with my tanks and capacity. Thanks
Parnell

I guess they gravity feed and yes the 5th fill is just around the stb corner of the windshield faring. The two tanks under the cabin is pretty standard for sports/starfires. The 3rd tank was pretty standard for starfires but they had 454's not 350's. I think ~100gal is enough for small blocks. What engines are you going with? I know there is not much room in the sport eng room but I would think one small tank on the outboard floor port and stb maby 20gal each would give some range cushion and be a better spot for balance.

MDonziM
04-13-2010, 09:12 PM
here is the only pic I have showing the forward tanks

superhatz
04-13-2010, 11:04 PM
That's an awesome boat Marshall...congrats. Glad to hear you're keeping it original. I'm pretty sure that's the brochure boat....do you have a copy?

-Aaron

Sweet Cheekz
04-14-2010, 07:16 AM
Mine is a long way from even getting started but I plan on twin 383 500's. My boat had a tank forward of the original two that was removed and I plan on putting one back up there to make 4. Its interesting on yours that they chose to make the middle tank a single and the two forward tanks double. I would have thought they would do the opposite. and keep that center stringer in tack. I will reevaluate mine when I get a chance to get up there but I'm 90% sure mine was 4. It looks to me like the only difference between a starfire and a sport is the rear engine area is taller. Is there anything else?
Parnell

MDonziM
04-14-2010, 09:25 AM
That's an awesome boat Marshall...congrats. Glad to hear you're keeping it original. I'm pretty sure that's the brochure boat....do you have a copy?

-Aaron

Thanks Aaron,
The only thing I want to change is two bolsters in sted of the triple. Paint will get redone as orig. I spoke with Harold and Giovanni at Magnum and they only remember making 2 or 3 Starfires with this paint. I have the brochure pics but that hull only had 3 tanks. Otherwise the timing was right, the hull was made in 12/78 sold 4/79 and in that time the 79 brochure pics were taken.

Marshall

MDonziM
04-14-2010, 09:40 AM
Mine is a long way from even getting started but I plan on twin 383 500's. My boat had a tank forward of the original two that was removed and I plan on putting one back up there to make 4. Its interesting on yours that they chose to make the middle tank a single and the two forward tanks double. I would have thought they would do the opposite. and keep that center stringer in tack. I will reevaluate mine when I get a chance to get up there but I'm 90% sure mine was 4. It looks to me like the only difference between a starfire and a sport is the rear engine area is taller. Is there anything else?
Parnell

The starfire and sport both have the same hull and deck except for the raised eng area. ( raised to accomodate 454's) I think the dash console is slightly larger and the windshield and faring are slightly taller. I don't know if the stringers are different in the eng compartment (haven't been in the bilge of a sport in years)
As to the middle tank, I assume it straddles the stringer because just aft of the bulkhead the center stringer is about 18" high and I can't imagine they eliminated that under the center tank.

MDonziM
04-14-2010, 05:44 PM
Well, I pulled out the starboard tank today that was "repaired" a few years ago. Time for 2 new main tanks I think based on the 2-3 gal of gas/soaked foam. Port tomorrow.

scippy
04-14-2010, 07:43 PM
Marshall, I'm about ready to pull & evaluate the 2 main gas tanks in my sport. Removed all the screw in the 2 half sheets of plywood that cover them
in the cabin area. The sight glass indicates one on "E" and the other on "1/4" hopefully there's no saturation and they can be cleaned and re-installed
.......... I'm going to look back upon some old posts by Bill (conquista dor) he removed his old tanks - inspected them and found them to be OK.

MDonziM
04-14-2010, 09:29 PM
Marshall, I'm about ready to pull & evaluate the 2 main gas tanks in my sport. Removed all the screw in the 2 half sheets of plywood that cover them
in the cabin area. The sight glass indicates one on "E" and the other on "1/4" hopefully there's no saturation and they can be cleaned and re-installed
.......... I'm going to look back upon some old posts by Bill (conquista dor) he removed his old tanks - inspected them and found them to be OK.

No scent of gas around my port tank but I'm most likely going to pull it too while everything is apart. I took a big reg screwdriver and drilled down into the foam at the aft center stringer and had evidence of gas. Used a curved cross toothed hand saw and it came out after about 1hr.

Conquistador_del_mar
04-15-2010, 12:24 AM

Scippy,
Only one of mine had a very small leak, but I ground them both down to fresh aluminum and glassed them both for future protection. I have done the same thing in the past with other tanks and never had a problem. At the same time, I clean them out with B12 Chemdip to get the residue out and then foamed them back in place. The old foam in mine was water saturated.

No scent of gas around my port tank but I'm most likely going to pull it too while everything is apart. I took a big reg screwdriver and drilled down into the foam at the aft center stringer and had evidence of gas. Used a curved cross toothed hand saw and it came out after about 1hr.

Marshall,
I can see using a hand saw since you had gasoline to deal with. I used a very long Sawsall blade on a Sawsall since mine had no gas. They took a little coaxing with a pry bar, but they both came out with a little effort. I spent a while cleaning the old styrofoam out before reinstalling mine being sure to get them suspended correctly as the foam set. I remember how difficult it was to unscew the old mechanical gauges, but they cleaned up nicely and should work fine after reinstalling them. Bill

MDonziM
04-15-2010, 06:29 PM
Went to the tank fabricator this afternoon. $399 each. Thinking of installing nice stainless electronic fuel fill senders (forget the manufacturer) insted of the old mechinical ones. only $45 buck more.
Should be done in 1 week.

My foam was completely saturated with gasoline. Just took a bath and a shower to get the smell off.

Conquistador_del_mar
04-15-2010, 08:50 PM
Went to the tank fabricator this afternoon. $399 each. Thinking of installing nice stainless electronic fuel fill senders (forget the manufacturer) insted of the old mechinical ones. only $45 buck more.

My foam was completely saturated with gasoline. Just took a bath and a shower to get the smell off.

Marshall,
Are you going to get the new ones made from aluminum? Are they going to copy the old tanks with the exception of the sending unit holes? 3/8" fuel draw line in the tank? How badly corroded were the old tanks? Just curious about these things. Bill

MDonziM
04-16-2010, 04:08 PM
Marshall,
Are you going to get the new ones made from aluminum? Are they going to copy the old tanks with the exception of the sending unit holes? 3/8" fuel draw line in the tank? How badly corroded were the old tanks? Just curious about these things. Bill

The tanks were not corroded at all .The starboard one I removed had been repaired before, about a 4" beed, where it had a small crack again. I figure, might as well start fresh and not have to worry. Have not taken the port side out yet. Going to stick with 3/8 fuel line because the pvc conduit has 2 fuel lines running thru it now and 1/2 would be difficult to snake thru. If I change the rout of one of the lines I could do 1/2" but for mildly worked 454's I think the 3/8 ths is enough.

MDonziM
04-16-2010, 04:13 PM
Yes the tanks will be new 1/8" aluminum, all the same dimensions except 3/4" shorter to make it easier to get in.

MDonziM
04-20-2010, 09:17 PM
Pulled the port tank out today. It was leaking also but not as bad as the starboard one. Hopefully will have new tanks by the end of the week. I'm thinking about inspecting the middle tank while everything is all apart.

seano
04-21-2010, 09:25 AM
very nice addition to your fleet marshall! i think this is the boat u and i talked about. glad u went ahead with it and are keeping it original.

MDonziM
04-21-2010, 07:22 PM
Thanks sean, its a cool/rare mag. Looking for 2 sets of stainless marine manifolds if you know of any.

Marshall

First good news today. Checked the middle tank and no evidence of any leaking so I will just put foam back to replace what i removed. Replacing tanks, fuel lines and floorboards the next few days. Then some eng work and it should be solid to sea trial before reduing the paint, hardware and bolsters. More later...

smidgen too
04-22-2010, 01:00 AM

-Aaron
Aaron I believe there were at least five Starfires painted this way, Sparky from Vicious Marine had the one that came from the D.E.A.,, It has now been repainted by the new owner in post #11. Also look at post #8..
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54570
It was for sale last year with a blown engine. Mark

MDonziM
04-22-2010, 07:58 AM
According to the Theodoli's, there were 3 or so. Depending on whether Sparky's was the actual boat in the brochure I can only account for 2 or 3. Mine is different then the pic shown, only 1 compass, and 5 tanks.

smidgen too
04-22-2010, 09:07 AM
According to the Theodoli's, there were 3 or so. Depending on whether Sparky's was the actual boat in the brochure I can only account for 2 or 3. Mine is different then the pic shown, only 1 compass, and 5 tanks.
You may be right, but I had a guy in Europe that claimed he had one as well as one more here in the states, thats why I said around five. Buds Magnum build list dose not have that much detail on the paint, there could be a few recreations out there. Have you seen this link on OSO talking about them from 2009 ? [Smidgen too, h2o]
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/magnum/204295-starfire.html

MDonziM
04-22-2010, 04:24 PM
You may be right, but I had a guy in Europe that claimed he had one as well as one more here in the states, thats why I said around five. Buds Magnum build list dose not have that much detail on the paint, there could be a few recreations out there. Have you seen this link on OSO talking about them from 2009 ? [Smidgen too, h2o]
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/magnum/204295-starfire.html

Yes, I saw that thread, thats how I found the boat. These striped starfires are identified as white on the mag build list so there is a max 8 or so that could have been striped.(the entire hull is white gelcoat and the black and red stripes are painted on top.) The "starfire" paint would be strange/difficult to re-create on another boat. I just hope its not too tough to touch up.

smidgen too
04-22-2010, 11:46 PM
Yes, I saw that thread, thats how I found the boat. These striped starfires are identified as white on the mag build list so there is a max 8 or so that could have been striped.(the entire hull is white gelcoat and the black and red stripes are painted on top.) The "starfire" paint would be strange/difficult to re-create on another boat. I just hope its not too tough to touch up.
You have a very unique & cool Magnum, :thumbsup: I agree it would be hard to copy. :yes:

scippy
04-25-2010, 08:15 PM

Marshall, seems I might need 2 new tanks as well. Pulled both last week, starboard tank (all though no leaks) contained 12 gals. of thick varnish &
a dislarged broken baffle. Port tank was laminated over in fiberglass after several repairs...........more than 4 area's were circled in red marker.
Who doing your tanks?.............................and does anybody know if plastic gas tanks have been used as a good viable option in our 27 Mags

Tom Davis
04-26-2010, 01:10 PM
Scippy! Have not talked to you in ages. Hope to see you in Lakle George this year for the dustoff with the 18 firetruck/boat!

As far as the tanks go I can e-mail you some pictures and recommendations for building and installing tanks for your boat. Feel free to private message me or give me a call.

My recommendation is definately custome aluminum fabricated tanks. If you have the boat split or have the floor out and accessable

Just my .02

Tom Davis
Winni Bandits

MDonziM
04-26-2010, 03:13 PM
Marshall, seems I might need 2 new tanks as well. Pulled both last week, starboard tank (all though no leaks) contained 12 gals. of thick varnish &
a dislarged broken baffle. Port tank was laminated over in fiberglass after several repairs...........more than 4 area's were circled in red marker.
Who doing your tanks?.............................and does anybody know if plastic gas tanks have been used as a good viable option in our 27 Mags

Don't know about plastic, have no experience with them. Alloy Metal Works in Farmingdale LI is making them up. 631 694-8163 Phil.

scippy
04-26-2010, 05:07 PM
Scippy! Have not talked to you in ages. Hope to see you in Lakle George this year for the dustoff with the 18 firetruck/boat!

As far as the tanks go I can e-mail you some pictures and recommendations for building and installing tanks for your boat. Feel free to private message me or give me a call.

My recommendation is definately custome aluminum fabricated tanks. If you have the boat split or have the floor out and accessable

Just my .02

Tom Davis
Winni Bandits

Tom, I sent you an e-mail............it has been awhile, hope you and Kim are doing well....................LG was great time with U guys

The Hedgehog
04-28-2010, 04:31 PM
This is a great project. What are you doing for power?

MDonziM
05-02-2010, 02:13 PM
This is a great project. What are you doing for power?

For now I just want to get the boat fully functional. The paint actually buffs out pretty well so I'm putting off repainting it til next yr. The engines are decent 454's maby around 450 hp each so I'll stick with them for a while.Need new exaust, oil coolers, sea strainers and flush kits. Already replaced the dists, ignition, coil, wires etc. Need to raise the eng hatch a couple inches for the new exaust. Cutting the 3man bolster down to 2.

seano
08-09-2010, 07:28 AM
Any update on the project marshall?

MDonziM
08-09-2010, 07:16 PM
In the process of replacing one of the motors, blew a main bearing or something. I was suspicious of the motor from the start but thought it would last one season.

Replaced the 2 main tanks under the cabin and ran new fuel lines, put on stainless marine exaust ( 10" risers ) and custom tips, oil coolers, starters, strainers, new holly 830 carbs, all new hoses etc. Raised the eng hatch 2" to accomotate the exaust, hatch pad, cut the 3man bolster down to 2man with custom brackets and replaced the carpet. Replacing the whole dash panel with new autometer gauges.

Really fun to drive. Unreal stable, solid ride. Eats up a 3' chop and goes thru slop like a knife. Put about 15 hrs or so on it before the eng went.