PDA

View Full Version : Ragazza questions

4 Reelin'
04-11-2010, 08:24 PM
Hi guys I am hoping you can give me some answers.

I am interested in a 1988 Ragazza 23 I have seen in the want ads. What I know about the boat is it is listed as a 1988 23 Regazza B with a 5.7 OMC in it. I am curious if this model has any inherent problems I need to look for, weak stringers, soft deck, any hidden areas I should check out when I go to look? I am hoping to get some answers and an idea what to look for before I go look at the boat next weekend.

Thanks

Don

Phil S
04-13-2010, 06:04 AM
Hi Don -

Think of it like this.....it's a 22 year old boat, and it all depends upon how well it was taken care of and maintained. If you're serious about buying it, your best bet would be to have it surveyed. You could wind up with a real basket-case, needing repair work costing more than the boat is worth. Stringers could be shot, transom could be rotten, gas tank could be leaking, and the list can go on from there. Buyer beware.

I'm not sure if there are any "known" or documented issues that specifically apply to this boat, but the above few items will apply to any boat of that age.

With kind regards,
Phil S

4 Reelin'
04-13-2010, 09:27 PM
Thanks Phil, those are the things I was thinking of, I just don't know alot about this model and was wondering if there was anything special or out of the ordinary I should look for.

Don

RedDog
04-13-2010, 10:14 PM
Thanks Phil, those are the things I was thinking of, I just don't know alot about this model and was wondering if there was anything special or out of the ordinary I should look for.

Don

I wouldn't say anything out of the ordinary - you just need to be sure what you are getting out of a 22 year old boat. Look very closely or get a professional survey - engine, drive, or hull stringers could all get expensive sooner than you want (of course could also be sooner than you want on a newer boat too). Also look for a good price. The Ragazza (or similar models from other builders) will not hold the same value (with same condition) as say a Classic/Hornet/Minx

stillcrazy36
06-18-2010, 09:20 AM
Did you buy it ?
I have a 26 Regazza and it WAS a great boat with a lot of features but the OMC part drove me nuts. I replaced all the OMC running gear with Mercruiser, from the motor to the prop. That's time and money but no one wanted to buy it with an OMC set up.
I have now found that the engine compartment bulkhead is rotten so I will now have to inspect the stringers and transom.
It was a good boat in its day but I am afraid unless you get it for nothing, don't buy it, you will put a ton of money into it and the resale is non existent.