PDA

View Full Version : 496HO sea strainer size

yeller
04-11-2010, 03:11 PM
Now that I've moved and will be subject to seaweed ingestion, I figure I need to invest in a sea strainer. Does anyone know what inlet/outlet size I need for a 496HO?

Carl C
04-11-2010, 03:54 PM
1 1/4 inch. Teague Custom Marine has cool ones. Mine is on the way.

yeller
04-11-2010, 05:21 PM
Thanks Carl. Teague ones are nice...and on sale now too. I don't really need the bling, though. I'll probably just get a brass one. Should be able to pick one up for about $150.

Tony
04-11-2010, 06:59 PM
Groco or Perko. The Groco seems less busy...and cheaper, too.

http://www.starmarinedepot.com/detail.asp?product_id=GR1408

:beer:

gcarter
04-11-2010, 07:10 PM
Perkos are easy to get open in a hurry. It's a one hand operation.

Due to the price of copper, there're quite a bit more expensive than rhey have been previously. I found a 1 1/2" Perko on eBay and I've figured a way to make it fit. It was less than $100.

BUIZILLA
04-11-2010, 08:19 PM
aren't the Perko's cast bronze?

yeller
04-11-2010, 08:29 PM
I looked at Groco and Perko. I like the perko better because it looks easier to get to the basket. Two wingnuts...no tools needed.

Tony, that's a great price on the Groco. The one thing that really holds me back on the Groco is I can't find what the basket is made of. Wholesalemarine.com has great prices on both units, with the Perko being cheaper than the Groco. Trouble is, they don't list a Perko at 1.25". I'm going to call them tomorrow to see if they can get it. Based on the pricing of the other units, if they have a 1.25", it should be about $140.

thehow33
04-11-2010, 08:50 PM
I have the groco 1 1/4" and the basket is made out of stainless steel...However, you can get one made out of some sort of plastic as well. And its extremely easy to clean, just a cap that unscrews and a handle on the basket that pulls right out.

gcarter
04-12-2010, 08:40 AM
I looked at Groco and Perko. I like the perko better because it looks easier to get to the basket. Two wingnuts...no tools needed.

Tony, that's a great price on the Groco. The one thing that really holds me back on the Groco is I can't find what the basket is made of. Wholesalemarine.com has great prices on both units, with the Perko being cheaper than the Groco. Trouble is, they don't list a Perko at 1.25". I'm going to call them tomorrow to see if they can get it. Based on the pricing of the other units, if they have a 1.25", it should be about $140.
The Perko 1.25" is the same size as the 1"....take a look at their site. The only difference is the threaded openings. I guess that makes the 1" oversized.
The benchmark for copper (and therefore copper alloys) is about $3.50/lb!!!!
Of course that impacts so many of the parts we use.
In fact, right now, SST is cheaper than copper alloyed parts. I'm running all the SST plumbing I can in the water circuit.