PDA

View Full Version : 18 Classic Drive/Engine Package

tmh
04-11-2010, 09:08 AM
What would be ideal engine/drive combinations for an 18? I read about all the fabulous boats being tweaked and don't have a clue how I'd proceed if the drive needed to be replaced or if I wanted more power.

I'm confused by all of the postings I see about Blackhawks, Alpha SS, Volvo's, and Bravo drives and what the benefits and detriments are of the different drives.

Is the DPX a viable consideration for an 18 classic and what would be a reasonable price to expect to pay for such an assembly? Are there many used/rebuilt units available on the market? Are other Volvo drives viable considerations?
T.M. Hayes

MOP
04-11-2010, 09:39 AM
You really need to your homework theses toys get very expensive fast!

IMO a small block worked over to achieve what you want, you did not state just how you will use your boat that is important. If you want a good all a round use boat don't go to crazy on power. I am sure you will get a lot of decent ideas up here.

Phil

tmh
04-11-2010, 12:19 PM
I'm trying to plan for the time the engine or drive needs replacing and know what I will upgrade to. Being an accountant with unlimited wants and limited resources, I also want to know what is economically viable versus what a dream engine/drive combo will cost, along with reasonable reliabilty. I like the benefits of fuel injection on my cars but this doesn't appear to be considered an upgrade, more of an alternative, on these boats from the posts I've read. If my current engine is 300HP, I would think 330 to 340 HP would be more than adequate. The engine isn't as much of a question as the drive is.

My goal is a bit more power than the 350/300 MPI in my 2003 18, idealy being able to achieve upper 60's consistently with excellent handling characteristics and reliability. I would rather have a boat that handles great at upper 60's than going 70 and feeling on the edge, and/or constantly fighting porpoising. I will also want to pull a skiier or to barefoot if the kids are around.

I have no idea of what drives cost, which can be swapped and whether this entails changing dimensions. Is raising the lower unit something that is only done when someone is trying to have a 70+mph boat? Should I keep an eye open for a bargain used drive or only consider a new or rebuilt drive? What are reasonable cost estimates for drives; new, rebuilt , or used? I shop around for my car parts and regularly save 30-40% off dealer list prices. I don't know if this is common for drives. and if so, which ones.
I truly appreciate the education.
T.M. Hayes

Mckillop
04-12-2010, 10:59 AM
I am doing doing an engine swap on my 18 right now. Going with a high output 383 stroker and keeping the stock Alpha 1 drive. According to the guy building the motor it should be right around 400hp and over 400 ft lbs of torque. From all the research we did this seemed to be the best way to go for what we use the boat for. Just have to be carefull with the drive, no hard hole shots and have to back off the throttle if you get out of the water.

craigdskilling
04-13-2010, 07:52 PM
Same deal.I also am doing a 383 stroker with 430hp and also a alpha.I started with a drive shower to keep it cool then a new 25p mirage prop.thencomes the exaust because more power means bigger than 3'' to4'' to let it cool better and breath so came the stainless marine and new exaust tips.So if your going to go fo just 30 40 more I would say go all the way.Whats that saying go big or go home.

Mckillop
04-14-2010, 12:20 PM
Same deal.I also am doing a 383 stroker with 430hp and also a alpha.I started with a drive shower to keep it cool then a new 25p mirage prop.thencomes the exaust because more power means bigger than 3'' to4'' to let it cool better and breath so came the stainless marine and new exaust tips.So if your going to go fo just 30 40 more I would say go all the way.Whats that saying go big or go home.

Im sorry if I am hijacking the thread, but what exactly is a drive shower? And what exactly does it do for you? Is this something I will need with the bigger motor?

MOP
04-14-2010, 03:17 PM
Im sorry if I am hijacking the thread, but what exactly is a drive shower? And what exactly does it do for you? Is this something I will need with the bigger motor?

A drive shower shoots water at the top cap of the drive to keep it cool, not a bad idea on any Merc drive!

craigdskilling
04-14-2010, 08:50 PM
What kind of outdrive are you running and do you have thrue hull exaust and is it 3'' or4''out the back.I was in your shoes to and this sight helped me big. Like I said start slow and build up to what you really want.I dont think you will be happy with that little jump of horse power.Start with a shower for your drive not to expensive,Are you injected or carb If carb look into msd ignition that will give you 20or more horse power and that too is not that bad.the expense comes into exaust manifolds,But doing the other thinks will help you on your way craig.

thehow33
04-14-2010, 10:05 PM
What kind of outdrive are you running and do you have thrue hull exaust and is it 3'' or4''out the back.I was in your shoes to and this sight helped me big. Like I said start slow and build up to what you really want.I dont think you will be happy with that little jump of horse power.Start with a shower for your drive not to expensive,Are you injected or carb If carb look into msd ignition that will give you 20or more horse power and that too is not that bad.the expense comes into exaust manifolds,But doing the other thinks will help you on your way craig.

20 HP by just changing to an MSD ignition seems a bit much.