PDA

View Full Version : Water Water Everywhere!

MOP
04-10-2010, 04:04 PM
As most know the NE got hit with major rain about two weeks back, well there is still a ton of places flooded. Below are pictures where Bonnie's daughter lives, the road is three feet deep I was walking in twice a day to check the pumps. Three 2" hose pumps would slow it, I would plug in a 220v 4" twice a day to keep the burners and appliances dry. Today they raised the appliances up onto four cement blocks and pulled the burners, now it is wait and watch with the pumps off. She is hoping that will work! I got on her a couple of days ago about the electric she was frying running 3 pumps 24 hours and the big one about 3-4 hours a day. Her basement is about 2 feet lower then the water in the street, I am waiting for the depth report as I type! The puddle is about 1/8th mile long and 3 feet at the deepest. In the shots below the appliances were only up on two blocks, two more have been added!

DonziJon
04-10-2010, 07:14 PM
We are on the EAST side of Narragansett Bay. We are pretty good. The WEST side..in spots.. didn't do so well. In our neighborhood (East Side) there are mostly raised ranches. They seem to have survived pretty well. There are also some flat ranches with cellars...not so good. Finished Cellars (family rooms) were trashed. Lots of carpets rolled up, out on the curb now.

Ed Donnelly
04-11-2010, 06:14 PM
Phil; Put a 100 watt light bulb in the combustion chamber to dry it out before firing it up.. Smart move pulling the burner...............Ed

MOP
04-14-2010, 08:03 PM
The pond now turned lake is three feet deep in some spots along the road, she got a flat bed to come and haul her car to high ground
They would have been under about a foot, the water stopped coming in at about 22 inches. She is organizing the neighbors and a few local heads at the fire house tomorrow night, she managed to grab a couple of local politicians so we will see how they make out!

realbold
04-14-2010, 09:06 PM
Extreme opposite here. Dry for this time of year and lake levels are low.

MOP
04-16-2010, 09:55 AM
Update 3 days of running a 250 hundred GPH pump they road is usable, the water is still coming in the basement. There is so much ground water that they are not sure what to do and now we have more rain coming! I did find out over the past few weeks that at one time there was a fair sized lake there and over the years they filled it in bit by bit and built houses. The had a flood meeting last night, I brought for punching through the clay lens in a few places to drop the ground water to the next flora level. Years back when I was running a crane we disappeared two ponds on a guys property so he could build on it, I know that works but the engineers want to do a million dollar pipe project instead.

Cuda
04-16-2010, 11:54 AM
There is a place in Debary where they gave up getting the water from one side of the street to the other. There is a permanent well point set up there. It's on US 17.