PDA

View Full Version : Who knows about getting a boat delivered?

txtaz
04-09-2010, 11:12 AM
OK, So I am going to do everything I can to get this Classic 22 502 WITHOUT a trailer.

I have a quote of $3000 to go pick it up which seems high to me. He has his own trailer.

I can order a trailer and drop ship it to New Hampshire and then drive it back. UHaul????

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Also, please throw in your thoughts of what you think the best trailer is. This is my last small boat so I want the best.

Thanks.

mrfixxall
04-09-2010, 11:28 AM
OK, So I am going to do everything I can to get this Classic 22 502 WITHOUT a trailer.

I have a quote of $3000 to go pick it up which seems high to me. He has his own trailer.

I can order a trailer and drop ship it to New Hampshire and then drive it back. UHaul????

Also, please throw in your thoughts of what you think the best trailer is. This is my last small boat so I want the best.

Thanks.

i had a friend do this once,he called a mover like atlas or united van lines and asked if their was a half empty load going from? to? the marina loaded the boat in the back of the semi's trailer and the marina he was going to keep it at unloaded it for him with that giant forklift..your going to need a cradel tho so you may as well get the trailer..

had another friend do the same thing (thats on the board here) when he was moving back to calf..they loaded the boat and trailer with thease big ramps and mark backed it in his trailer..

mike o
04-09-2010, 02:09 PM

Thanks. Drop ship, or buy a trailer in LG. Find someone from around here that would be "rewarded" to bring the boat to AOTH for you:yes:. Then, ride around with you in IT all weekend.:biggrin.: Maybe somebody would be interested in doing some compensated driving to KY from the NH. If I had the time, Id be all over it. There plenty of "Yankee" members around these parts, that "might" be interested......... Maybe ?

jl1962
04-09-2010, 03:29 PM
Mike - There you go again - THINKING!

What a great idea!

:yes:

txtaz
04-09-2010, 03:44 PM
Thanks Mike,

I'm still waiting on the deal to go through. I have the cash ready and waiting. Plus some extra, just in case.

Bob insists that someone from Florida (Larry) is serious about buying the boat. I told him if ANYTHING is fishy about the buyer, call me and I would wire the money immediately and worry about getting the boat later, sight unseen.

Sorry, HM. I'll pay the price he's asking. I've waited long enough for this boat.

Cumberland??? Hymmm, it's been 3 years. Maybe it's time to go back. Mike, anyone come to mind to bring the boat?

Now compensation...Hymmmm, I'm usually pretty good at these things. AND then there is the bartering, such as old school back East Maple syrup for a cord of Texas Mesquite. AND if I drive to Cumberland this time I can bring some of Roberts shine back.:bonk:

To be honest, I would do almost anything to get this boat and have fun along the way. I've already prepped the CEO of Wells Fargo Home Mortgage that I may not be around for a few weeks. I'll have my laptop to put out fires.

Kirbyvv
04-09-2010, 03:59 PM
When I bought mine from Florida a friend of the seller was heading to Pennsylvania, so I paid his gas plus some wear and tear and got it that far, but mine came on a trailer.
Mike O is right, Performance Trailers are made right up the hill from me and Lake George, so getting one from them might be an option.

handfulz28
04-09-2010, 04:00 PM
http://mcclaintrailers.com/channel/

taz, not sure where you are in TX, but these guys have had good reviews. The same as a Myco/Manning but at a much more competitive price.

As for shipping, there are actually some non-horror stories of decent deals from using uship.com. I imagine the more idiot-proof the package is at pickup (wrapped like a new boat from the factory) the better the experience will be.

Good luck.

2donzi2
04-09-2010, 05:28 PM

Thanks.

Had a marine transport back in the 90's. We would load multiple loads on one trailer. Easily get two 22's on one 48ft trailer pulled by a dually. Your best bet is to try and locate someone heading north from texas that needs a back haul. You can't be to selective about your time frame and you will pay to load and unload the boat. You can also contact transport companies using semi's and flat beds. Same thing, you'll pay to load and unload. Average going rate is $1.50-2.00 per mile on anything not needing a permit. BTW, we were out of Dallas.

txtaz
04-09-2010, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the great ideas. That's what makes this site great.

I'm partial to the Cumberland idea. I'll keep everyone informed.

Thanks again.

gero1
04-10-2010, 06:10 AM
dr.dan has one of the best looking trailers i have EVER seen....damn guy keeps it locked up at aoth or it would be mine. contac him to see where he got it and see you at aoth

CHACHI
04-10-2010, 07:17 AM
I do beleive that Dr. Dan's trailer is a Performance trailer.

Ken

txtaz
04-10-2010, 07:40 AM
dr.dan has one of the best looking trailers i have EVER seen....damn guy keeps it locked up at aoth or it would be mine. contac him to see where he got it and see you at aoth

I'll check it out. BTW, Are you going to help watch out for rubber duckies?

Greg Guimond
04-10-2010, 07:54 AM
txtaz, what zip code is the boat in now and what zip code do you want it to go to ultimately?

DON N.
04-10-2010, 08:12 AM
Dr. Dans trailer is a performance trailer . I've towed it for him and it's perfect .

txtaz
04-10-2010, 08:18 AM
txtaz, what zip code is the boat in now and what zip code do you want it to go to ultimately?

The boat is in Meredith, NH 03253 and I live in San Antonio, TX 78250.

Have an idea up your sleeve?

txtaz
04-10-2010, 08:20 AM
Dr. Dans trailer is a performance trailer . I've towed it for him and it's perfect .

I'll have to get with a dealer for Performance Trailers to get a price.

jimishooch
04-10-2010, 10:16 AM
nail down the boat first..........

Jraysray
04-10-2010, 10:58 AM
nail down the boat first..........

Ditto.... One step at a time. I know it gets exciting but keep it all in check.

Thennnnnnn get it ready for the S Tx Salties get together.

txtaz
04-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Ditto.... One step at a time. I know it gets exciting but keep it all in check.

Thennnnnnn get it ready for the S Tx Salties get together.

What???? I can't come cruise around in a trailer???

Don't worry guys, I have it in order.
1. Boat frist AND paid for, receive title.
2. Buy trailer
3. Figure out a way to get it home.

Not sure about doing the salt thing yet.

Jraysray
04-10-2010, 12:09 PM
What???? I can't come cruise around in a trailer???

Don't worry guys, I have it in order.
1. Boat frist AND paid for, receive title.
2. Buy trailer
3. Figure out a way to get it home.

Not sure about doing the salt thing yet.

Ya know where these things are built right? Friggin' salt won't blow em up. Come on Wes you can do it!

Cuda
04-10-2010, 12:19 PM
I think Myco and Manning trailers are way overpriced. A freind of mine boat a new steel Myco that they said they'd warranty against rust. I don't remember the outcome. but I bet he doesn't buy another Myco.

I had a triple axle trailer with all ss fittings, brakes on one axle, and a flush kit built for my Formula at Quickload Trailers in St Pete for $3500. I ordered on a Monday, and picked it up that Friday. It fit like a glove. Captain Jack is a tripe to talk to.

The Tampa/St Pete area is the heart of trailer building copanies, and I've been to about all of them.

Owens Brothers build a nice trailer, but one just like I bought was going to the $5900, and I went to high school with one of the brothers.

jl1962
04-10-2010, 12:29 PM
If you need one "near" Lake Winnie - get a Performance Trailer. I have one for my 16. Pearson has one for the Pumpkin, Dan and others have them for their 22's.

Performance Custom Boat Trailers 9 Industrial Park Road
Warrensburg, New York 12885
(518) 504-4021

Info@pcbtrailers.com

BUIZILLA
04-10-2010, 01:42 PM
did you buy the boat?

Bob
04-10-2010, 07:36 PM
For transportation, try calling:
Alcove Carriers Inc (Alcove Marina And Pub*)
Route 4S
Schuylerville, NY 12871-1723*(Albany-Schenectady-Troy, NY Metro Area)
Phone: (518) 695-5652
Bob hauled my Hornet from MD to LG on his trailer and did a great job. He regularly runs the East coast from NE to FL.

Greg Guimond
04-16-2010, 05:27 PM
TTT for Transport !

Anyone hauling back from LA area to Richmond area. With a boat or empty will work, just have a little motor that needs to come east :yes: