PDA

View Full Version : Engine compartment ventilation

Bobby D
04-08-2010, 03:18 PM
Not sure if this is correct however I currently have 4 vents that are setup as follows, starboard side forward open taking air in with hose to the bilge, starboard aft blower with hose to the bilge sucking out, port side forward air in with hose going into the bilge, port aft blower with hose to bilge sucking out. Vents re-chromed and ready to go back together any thoughts or guideline on setup would be appreciated.
Bob

MOP
04-08-2010, 05:46 PM
One side forward free flow in aft hose to lower aft bilge drawing out.
Other side forward hose to lower forward bilge blowing in aft drawing air out free flow.

The object it to circulate the bilge air above and below in the compartment, which side really does not matter, but when inspected by the CG they look for the above!

Phil

Sweet Cheekz
04-08-2010, 07:20 PM
Bobby Can you give me an idea about how much it costs you to have your 4 vents chromed I'm going to get a quote tomorrow and wondered what to expect. Thanks
Parnell

Planetwarmer
04-09-2010, 02:48 AM
I only have 1 fan that pulls the air out (located on the aft starboard side).

joseph m. hahnl
04-09-2010, 07:12 AM
I only have 1 fan that pulls the air out (located on the aft starboard side).

Dido:yes:

Bobby D
04-09-2010, 07:19 AM
MOP,
Thanks, free flow meaning no hose?
I’ll go over everything again this weekend and modify as required to match your answer.
Parnell,
I have another post “New Dash” everything you see in several pictures I posted last week was redone by the same guy including the fabrication on the panel. He is a friend of mine and I’ve done some work for him recently so he made me a very good deal. Sorry I don’t know the cost breakdown but I can tell you that the old Morse shifter was in very poor condition and now it looks better than new. My suggestion is ask around and find out who does quality plating in your area and than completive bid the work by requesting quotes from several shops. Also think about going to the shop ask to look around and see his work. My friend does work for Harley Davison and collector cars and is always willing to give a quick tour of the shop and show work in progress as well as completed items that are ready for pickup. Bottom line if the guy is good he will not be cheap.

MOP
04-09-2010, 09:20 AM
Yes two just move air on and out with no hoses and two hosed ones in and out clearing the bilge of fumes. The hoses should be supprted to a couple of inches above the hull bottom to insure free flow.

Sweet Cheekz
04-09-2010, 06:27 PM
MOP,
Thanks, free flow meaning no hose?
I’ll go over everything again this weekend and modify as required to match your answer.
Parnell,
I have another post “New Dash” everything you see in several pictures I posted last week was redone by the same guy including the fabrication on the panel. He is a friend of mine and I’ve done some work for him recently so he made me a very good deal. Sorry I don’t know the cost breakdown but I can tell you that the old Morse shifter was in very poor condition and now it looks better than new. My suggestion is ask around and find out who does quality plating in your area and than completive bid the work by requesting quotes from several shops. Also think about going to the shop ask to look around and see his work. My friend does work for Harley Davison and collector cars and is always willing to give a quick tour of the shop and show work in progress as well as completed items that are ready for pickup. Bottom line if the guy is good he will not be cheap.
Thanks Bobby
I did exactly what you are suggesting and found a reputable shop near by that does tons of boat work and Harley's too. We will see how they do Thanks and btw I saw the pics of your stuff in that other thread and it's beautiful
Parnell

CHACHI
04-10-2010, 07:51 AM
The bilge, in my '99 22 only has one hose that connects to the blower, starboard aft.

The hose does drop down under the starter.

All other vents are just attached to the deck with out any hoses.

Ken

Ed Donnelly
04-10-2010, 01:51 PM
My Criterion is the same as Ken's....Ed

MOP
04-19-2010, 08:45 AM
Just noticed Ken & Ed's posts! You are both missing the front hose that comes from the port side forward vent! Go buy some hose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carl C
04-19-2010, 09:41 AM
Just noticed Ken & Ed's posts! You are both missing the front hose that comes from the port side forward vent! Go buy some hose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My boat came from the factory with both forward vents open. Starboard aft vent hooks to the blower with a hose dropping down. Port aft vent has a hose dropping down.

CHACHI
04-19-2010, 09:49 AM

No, I don't want the extra weight.

Ken

Kirbyvv
04-19-2010, 12:36 PM
My '78 X-18 only has two vents. The aft facing one is connected to the blower. The front facing one is just open.

MOP
04-19-2010, 03:51 PM
The later regulation require feeding the front of the bilge unassisted while underway, you need two hoses one in and one out the out always must have the blower but only used at low speed!

Older boats only had two vents and now are out dated! They are more than likely grand fathered under the law.

MOP
04-19-2010, 04:28 PM
A little reading to help with your thoughts! Also noticed that out dated systems may no longer legal in these links there is a lot it takes some reading! But safety is worth the time! Many say ducting, ducting can be fixed or soft hose! You basically are looking two systems natural ventilation and powered combined, the power system must have hose or ducting down into the bilge. Blower assisted exhaust at the rear to the bilge bottom but above any possible water accumulation and forward ducted 2/3 down into the bilge.

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=71b3a5a5005c543bf38697df9acfbf67&rgn=div6&view=text&node=33:2.0.1.8.45.11&idno=33

http://www.boats.com/reeds/jsp/rn_ch_2_a.jsp#a6

http://www.uscgboating.org/assets/pdf/recalls/BSC69.pdf

http://www.boatus.com/foundation/guide/equipment_5.html

http://books.google.com/books?id=euQZ16elT5kC&pg=PA275&lpg=PA275&dq=proper+gasoline+bilge+ventilation&source=bl&ots=dmXvGJrkPl&sig=CfuTAitW80_HtfGWbPANVqzAVHk&hl=en&ei=WMPMS_WoLMOC8gbnr6DfBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CBEQ6AEwAzgK#v=onepage&q&f=false

http://www.boatus.org/onlinecourse/reviewpages/boatusf/project/info2b.htm

Bobby D
04-21-2010, 11:16 AM
Phil,
Made all changes per your specifications and also found that by removing the (2) two unnecessary vent hose I now have easy access to the battery.
Bob