PDA

View Full Version : Ran the 16 for the first time

Fluffy Foo-Foo
04-08-2010, 01:54 PM
'96 16 350 w/blower.

Ran it about an hour. Waters up. Still a lot of debris in the lake. Made me a tad nervous.

GPS speedo wasn't working. :frown:

Went up to 4500 RPM. Still has a lot left. Set your skin tight to your face!

Ran rock solid in smooth water with a little wind chop.

Trim indicator wasn't working for most of the time, but when it did the trim was all the way down. It would start to vibrate when I tried to trim it up.
Don't know what that's all about. Any help would be appreciated

Oil temperature gauge went up too high for my liking when I ran it up but I think that's a bad sensor. Oil pressure and water temp. were fine.

Water pressure gauge didn't work either but the line just needed to be blown out and should be fine next time out.

Can't wait for the lake to go down a bit and clear out all the debris!

Fix a couple of gauge issues and I hope to have better feedback.

:)

Steve

CHACHI
04-08-2010, 02:06 PM
Steve, how hot was the oil?

Ken

BlownCrewCab
04-08-2010, 02:27 PM
Steve, how hot was the oil?

Ken

And where is the sender?

Fluffy Foo-Foo
04-08-2010, 03:54 PM
Gauge went up to a tad over 250 -260. Settled the boat down and ran at about 3000 rpm and the temp dropped slowly back to about 140 - 160. Didn't monitor it real close due to the short run.

Opened the hatch while a buddy was steering and the motor sounded great with no ticking valves, no smoke, no other signs of an overheating condition.

The boat has dual oil filters mounted on the engine bay front wall. Also has an 8 qt. marine spec. oil pan with a total of 11 in it. Also has an inline oil cooler/ power steering fluid cooler on the incoming line from the pump (lake water).

I felt the supply and return lines to the oil filters but did not feel any heat at all. At least not hot.

I have absolutely NO idea were the sensor is.

Thanks,

Steve

Fluffy Foo-Foo
04-08-2010, 04:02 PM
I may have found the sensor. Was going through pictures I took of the engine and compartment. There is what looks like a sensor on the left side of the engine at the rear just above the oil pan.

Could that be it?

Thanks,

Steve

BUIZILLA
04-08-2010, 05:49 PM
why 11 qts in an 8 qt pan? all that does is froth the oil...

CHACHI
04-08-2010, 06:04 PM
Steve, IF the sensor is in the pan, the temps on the high side are not that bad, IF these temps were recorded after a hard run. If temps climb during the summer months under the same conditions, I would look for a way to cool the oil some. 11 quarts in an 8 quart system does not help either. The crank whips up the oil and introduces air into it and air is an insulator (poor heat transfer) AND a lousy lubricant.

What I would be worried about is the low temp of the oil. 140-160 is too cold to allow proper evaporation of condensaton.
Low temp should be 180 min.

The wire you are looking at may be the oil pressure sender wire.

Disconnect the wire, go for a run and see what doesn't work.

Ken

Fluffy Foo-Foo
04-08-2010, 07:52 PM
why 11 qts in an 8 qt pan? all that does is froth the oil...

I'm going by what the previous owner told me. I have paperwork for the 8 qt pan. With the dual filters and extended hose run to and from it adds up to 11
(8 in pan, 1 in each filter, 1 for hose run).

I agree with you it sounds funny but it worked for him for 10 years.

Steve

Fluffy Foo-Foo
04-08-2010, 07:57 PM
Disconnect the wire, go for a run and see what doesn't work.Ken

Ken, great suggestion and fairly easy to do.

Thanks,

Steve