PDA

View Full Version : Home built Dollies

scippy
04-07-2010, 05:25 PM
These are some dollies I just built for my Magnum 27 sport- 2X6 box construction , 6x2 dia. caster wheel's, (1100 lb. capacity each)
I used heavy duty hinges from a swing set to support the carpeted 15'' bunks.

Sweet Cheekz
04-07-2010, 06:28 PM
Well done Now get to work
Parnell

gcarter
04-07-2010, 06:34 PM
You did it!
Congratulations!
Some of the best I've seen!

scippy
04-07-2010, 09:57 PM
You did it!
Congratulations!
Some of the best I've seen!

That means alot coming from you......Thanks George!
Hey P, I figure even with the head start you'll still be the one to dazzle.

axelkloehn
04-08-2010, 02:41 AM
How about putting a fully rigged boat on these or others (steel)? Did anyone take the risk yet...?

gcarter
04-08-2010, 04:55 AM
How about putting a fully rigged boat on these or others (steel)? Did anyone take the risk yet...?

Axel, my dollies from Williams Engineering are rated @ 7000#......not much to worry about.

Sweet Cheekz
04-08-2010, 07:36 AM
That means alot coming from you......Thanks George!
Hey P, I figure even with the head start you'll still be the one to dazzle.

Scippy Looks like you will be getting a big head start!
Parnell

Pismo
04-08-2010, 07:53 AM
Axel, my dollies from Williams Engineering are rated @ 7000#......not much to worry about.

Which means they will take twice that before they actually fail.

axelkloehn
04-08-2010, 08:07 AM

I mean if you gonna build them yourself this is an issue you should think about...how can you calculate how much load they take?

You could deal with this issue by dramatically oversizing them... but a fully rigged 22" with bbc and stuff weighs a lot especially in the rear, so the dolly might spread apart by transverse forces due to the hulls v-shape...

Conquistador_del_mar
04-08-2010, 10:57 AM
These are some dollies I just built for my Magnum 27 sport- 2X6 box construction , 6x2 dia. caster wheel's, (1100 lb. capacity each)
I used heavy duty hinges from a swing set to support the carpeted 15'' bunks.

Scippy,
Those dollies look very well made. Is that the boat that Fast Shafts was selling?

I mean if you gonna build them yourself this is an issue you should think about...how can you calculate how much load they take?

You could deal with this issue by dramatically oversizing them... but a fully rigged 22" with bbc and stuff weighs a lot especially in the rear, so the dolly might spread apart by transverse forces due to the hulls v-shape...

Axel,
I would think the weight would transfer straight down on the bunks of the dollies. Any forces trying to spread the bunks apart would be proportional to how much the carpeted bunks would allow slippage - in other words how much would they act as rollers. I am guessing they will work out fine. Bill

Craig S
04-08-2010, 11:09 AM

I covet the other man's dollies.

scippy
04-08-2010, 11:20 AM
[quote=Conquistador_del_mar;560969]Scippy,
Those dollies look very well made. Is that the boat that Fast Shafts was selling?

Yes it is, it replaces the '73 I lost over the winter (collapse of roof destroyed it) this present boat is a '76

wufwee
04-08-2010, 01:37 PM
Those dollies look much sturdier than a set I made for a Chris Craft I'm restoring. I bolted everything together but used lag bolts for the wheels. When they hit a little bump to get into my garage, one of the wheels came off. I didn't account for the angle of the caster and speed/direction of travel, and the lag bolts pulled out. No damage to the boat or myself (other than my pride). Instead of redesigning them, I bought some metal dollies.

jg480
04-26-2010, 04:53 PM
Scippy, those are great! Where can I buy those hinges?
Jim.

scippy
04-26-2010, 08:18 PM
Scippy, those are great! Where can I buy those hinges?
Jim.

Jim, www.swingset.com (http://www.swingset.com) There called wood beam swing hangers part # SH-04-PARTSX2 one pair for 19.99 free shipping. If you look at my dolly pictures
you can see how I used them, I inverted the pair to make one hinge per side. I used 4 pairs total.

gcarter
04-26-2010, 09:52 PM
If someone were seriously concerned, it's easy enough to strap the uprights like the pictures I posted of the Minx recently w/it way up in the air.

zelatore
04-27-2010, 05:30 PM
If someone were seriously concerned, it's easy enough to strap the uprights like the pictures I posted of the Minx recently w/it way up in the air.

Or you could add some cross-bracing like I did with my home-brew version.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=60628&highlight=dollies

(I never even thought of making them out of wood. Would have been cheeper if I had)