PDA

View Full Version : Any idea about where to find tilt switch

cwhydeesq
04-06-2010, 05:06 PM
Hey, gents:
Many thanks for the starter reference; one is on the way. I've been having problems with the tilt switch for my 1970 SkiSporter; you know, the up/off/down with the little light? Looking at the schematic, it appears that the light is actually part of the limit system in the thing. Having had a bunch of problems last year, and since I'm going to do a re-wire with new gauges anyway, I figured now is the time to replace the switch; if only I could find one. I'm thinking that because the light appears to be an integral part of the tilt system, I can't simply use one of the three-way on/off/on switches, can I?
Appreciate, as always, the input from you 'experienced' lads.

Chris

maddad
04-06-2010, 08:27 PM
If you're talking about an old Volvo tilt, the light goes on as soon as the low limit switch closes, as in you can run the tilt motor down again. When it bottoms and shuts off the motor it also shuts the light. The system will work with or without the light. When I cleaned up my dash I put a new switch, light and fuse on the old panel because the new ones were a little different.

maddad
04-06-2010, 08:29 PM
Sometimes the relays on the tilt motor act up and make you think the switch is bad.

cwhydeesq
04-16-2010, 01:54 PM
So, my presumption is that the customary three-way toggle will work fine?
I'll snag one. As for the relays, I know I purchased a set last year when I bought the new tilt motor (yes, old volvo) Since it worked fine, I didn't bother with the relays but perhaps I'll swap them in before I go messing with the switch. Many thanks for the info!
Chris

maddad
04-16-2010, 04:00 PM
The switch you want is momentary-off-momentary. Centered and off usually, on up or down when held there.