PDA

View Full Version : Son of a "Hornet"!!!!!!

flying tomato
04-05-2010, 08:55 PM
Does anyone have any experience taking a fuel tank out of a Hornet III?
Yep, it is leaking. I'm sure hoping someone chimes in with a really easy way to do it. I've looked and looked and do not see any way except pulling the cap off the boat. Not the way I wanted to start the summer.

HELP!!!!!!
Flying Tomato

gcarter
04-05-2010, 09:00 PM
It's not as hard as it may seem.
Really not at all intimidating.
There uused to be a thread showing pulling up only the bow.
In fact, if a person were to get every last detail ready, it could be done in one day.

mrfixxall
04-05-2010, 09:12 PM
Does anyone have any experience taking a fuel tank out of a Hornet III?
Yep, it is leaking. I'm sure hoping someone chimes in with a really easy way to do it. I've looked and looked and do not see any way except pulling the cap off the boat. Not the way I wanted to start the summer.

HELP!!!!!!
Flying Tomato

looks are deceiving :) i thought the same thins on mine after the resto..i turned out to be my fuel sender but it only leaked when i filled it up..also check the fill hose,they dry rot and crack after time..

to be honest i still have the OE steel tank in mine from 1977 :)

mattyboy
04-06-2010, 10:46 AM
I agree with most of this on a smaller 16,18,22

a hornet deck is alot different, alot heavier, alot higher, alot wider . it takes 10-12 big people to walk the deck off or on. more than a days job when everything is taken into account un rigging ,removing the deck ,supporting the nose so it doesn't break, removing the tank. replacing it and re lining all the gas lines.

wonder if they used the same ski locker from the 19 in the hornetII and III if they did that is a chore in itself as it is basically a 10foot donzi dink that you could put a 10hp ob on and tool around the bay

the hornet i have had a belly tank put in under the benchseat the guy on long island took a short cut sealed the nose tank off and cut holes into the ski locker to seal it. and took out the floor locker and put the tank right under the seat.

it may be a pain but it needs to be done and done corrrectly. lift the deck drop in the new tank take care of any issues that might arise . this will give you a piece of mind and make your donzi last for quite some time into the future. it will be addressed on mine even though the new tank doesn't leak.just need to get the warchest restocked . ;)

check the gallery here www.lgdonziclassic.com (http://www.lgdonziclassic.com) there is a section on the benchseat hornet and some pics of one split.

I might know where there is a new fabricated tank for a benchseat hornet , not sure it is the exact same has a III it could be, this one doesn't have the usgc tank mfg'r plate on it. if you have any questions or concerns on a project like that , fire away ( oops not a good term to use when talking fuels tanks ;p ) ask them a few around here have done tanks and deck off projects

JimG
04-06-2010, 09:31 PM
FT, lets crawl around it a bit. I bet its something else and not a true leaking tank. Mines is a 1970 and is still in good shape.

flying tomato
04-13-2010, 08:18 PM
Ok,
Nobody chimed in with an easy way to remove a gas tank from a hornet III. So here is how I did it. I had to make some cuts. However, the tank is out, and new tank is installed in less than 2 weeks. Actual removal and installation time on the tank was about 6 hours (8 beers).
The bulkheads for the tank had no water drain holes. I guess that when this boat sank (Hurricane Ike). Saltwater got between the tank and bulkhead and corrosion started. I am sure glad that I replaced the whole tank, because it would have started leaking from another spot in the not to near future.
I did have to put some aluminum plates behind the cut areas and bolt it back together, but it came out very good. Not perfect, but good.

Maybe this will help someone,
Flying Tomato

Sweet Cheekz
04-13-2010, 08:24 PM
wonder if they used the same ski locker from the 19 in the hornetII and III if they did that is a chore in itself as it is basically a 10foot donzi dink that you could put a 10hp ob on and tool around the bay

LOL I apparently have two Donzi Dinks for sale, no motors

Parnell

mattyboy
04-13-2010, 08:32 PM
the locker is similar in shape but looks much shorter, which would make sense as the deck is longer on a benchseat than a hornetIII

here's the locker from a benchseat hornet

what tank did you use? amazing what a little salt water can do

flying tomato
04-14-2010, 09:43 AM
I used a local fabricator that has been is business for 30+ years. He did a fantastic job. 100 dollars cheaper, and done in 5 days. If anyone wants his number, just let me know. He built a duplicate tank. 41 gal