PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Lake Okeechobee Waterway Run / Ditch Trip 2

Tidbart
04-05-2010, 07:54 AM
Let's see some interest in a run this year. Water levels are close to 15', so there will be no lock issues. All are on-demand.:)

I am looking at the weekend of the May 22nd (Sat) and 23rd (Sun). Run from Ft. Myers to Stuart and back.

Just posting this for interest, haven't contacted hotel yet on availability. Let me know what you think about dates, hotels, itinirary, etc.

The 2008 trip we did was the best Donzi run I ever been on, even though it was only one way for me.:bonk:

Bob

VetteLT193
04-05-2010, 08:38 AM
sounds do-able. I should be out of my crazy schedule a few weeks before then.

Cuda
04-05-2010, 09:13 AM
Man, that sounds like fun! I think it's right around the end of the semester at college too. I haven't decided to go this summer or not.

sweet 16 1966
04-07-2010, 10:17 PM
AOTH weekend for me -only 6 hours away. Tavares was 8.

Bob- what made it so good? Sounds intriguing.

tmh
04-08-2010, 06:31 AM
That sounds great and it's in my neighborhood. What does everyone do when they get to Stuart?
T.M. Hayes 18c

Tidbart
04-09-2010, 08:06 AM
Been out of town for a couple of days.

Here is a link to the trip we did 2 years ago. http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52440 Check out some photos and editorials.

What made it so good? Weather, diversity of the route, length of the run (212 mi. r/t), fun group, good party, etc.

tmh, we stayed at the Pirate's Cove Resort, had dinner and a party on Saturday night, and then most,:bonk:, went back on Sunday morn.

Bob

Budmann
04-17-2010, 06:36 AM
Hey Bob!!!! Sorry but my puter took a big S#$% so I just got this SWEET Sony laptop!!! My engine is out and being sealed up as we speak Sooo WE SHOULD BE LOCKED AND LOADED for the 22nd!!!!!!:):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Tidbart
04-17-2010, 10:00 AM
I was beginning to think there was no interest in this. Let's try and get a few more on board. I emailed Smokediver and Nate and haven't heard back from either.

Well, let's just try to keep it going.

Bob

Tidbart
04-17-2010, 03:27 PM
Well, heard from John (Smokediver), today. He and Mark are in.:yes:

Keep em comin.

B

DonSierra
04-17-2010, 04:51 PM
Hi Bob

Can I get a little more information on the hotel and whatever? So that I can make plans and reserve the rooms. Possible a second may show up with me, not a Donzi sorry.

Ricardo

PS do you think it will be anything as the run to the key? LOL

Budmann
04-17-2010, 07:00 PM
Yea I think Nate fell off the face of the earth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will see if a couple of the Donzi guys I hang with will go! We are planning a Suwannee trip in May if you think anyone wants to go!!! Bob... you need to go at least once!!! It is a BLAST!!!!

Tidbart
04-18-2010, 11:03 AM
Ok, here is the deal. Pirate's Cove, 126.65/nt plus tax (10% discount over the 149 rate). This is for 6 rooms. They are blocked off and under the name Robert Wilson for 1 night on May 22nd.
Call 772-287-2500, go to reservations.
The room res #'s are as follows 5643, 5644, 5645, 5646, 5647, 5648. One is mine. Call and change one into your name.
If more rooms are needed we will accommodate. Make your reservation as soon as possible and post the reservation number you have taken, so I can keep track.

Dockage: I will need some information for each boat. Please either post or email it to me at tidbitnh@yahoo
I must Fax this info to them for reservation of space.

Owner's Name
Make
Model
Length
Reg #
Boat Name, if applicable
Shore power needed, yes or no?

Rates are still the same as last time. 1.75/ft
22C will be $38.50
28 footer would be $49
Shore power is $5

Let's get on this and make it happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob

Note to self: PC, John in the Bait and Tackle shop, FAX 772-220-2704

Tidbart
04-18-2010, 11:10 AM
For the itinerary, as I don't think we discussed it much.

Ft Myers to Stuart, launch at Franklin Lock Saturday AM at 09:30. Stay the night at PC in Stuart, come back Sunday morning.

If all goes well we will not be rushed to make any lock schedule as the water levels are up.:yes: Unlike last time, where some had to rush to make the St Lucie lock opening, this should be more casual on Sunday morning.

I didn't have that problem.:bonk::lifeprese:

Bob

PS. $3/night donation for parking at Franklin Locks, and must file a float plan with the ranger.

Tidbart
04-18-2010, 11:15 AM
Hi Bob

Can I get a little more information on the hotel and whatever? So that I can make plans and reserve the rooms. Possible a second may show up with me, not a Donzi sorry.

Ricardo

PS do you think it will be anything as the run to the key? LOL

Ricardo,

Welcome. Should be nothing like the Keys run, hopefully. Bring a chair this time.

Non-Donzis are welcome. A friend of a Donzi owner is a friend of mine.

Actually, one other attendees will be Smokediver, who sold his 18 last year and is now a non-Donzi owner, but we still love him.:wink:

Hope you make it.

Bob

Tidbart
04-18-2010, 11:23 AM
Yea I think Nate fell off the face of the earth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will see if a couple of the Donzi guys I hang with will go! We are planning a Suwannee trip in May if you think anyone wants to go!!! Bob... you need to go at least once!!! It is a BLAST!!!!

Bud,

What happened to Fishboy? Get his butt to attend, been too long.

Don't think I can make another May trip. I am in the middle of finishing off the Donzi hangar. Then I have to do some maintenance on the boat for the Ditch trip. I don't need no stinkin issues like last time.

PS Did I mention that Mark (NaplesDonzi), our very own photographer will be attending. Too funny at the after-dinner party.

B

hdsadey
04-19-2010, 08:24 AM
Damn so soon? Don't think the oar locks will be installed by this time! Definitely won't have the engine in by then, have to wait til next year!

Budmann
04-20-2010, 07:23 PM
Bob, spoke to Fish yesterday and he is working hard so the 23 will be ready!!! My best friend tom has a Z-25 that had the tank go south so he is digging like hell to get it out and a new one in!!! He should be ready!!!!!!
We will be ready as long as my guy can seal up my motor!!!! Other than the leak, the boat FLYS!!!!!! Gained 10 mph!!!!!! I now have a VERY dependable 70 plus 22!!!:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes: :yes::yes:

Budmann
04-20-2010, 07:24 PM
Oh, I almost forgot... Fish spoke with BOND(Nate) last week and he bought a 23 just like Fishboy's!!!
We need to get him to go!!!!!!!!!

Tidbart
04-21-2010, 01:30 PM
In New Orleans this week, tough to respond. Make sure you call the hotel and book a room. Also, I need boat info to reserve slips.

B

Tidbart
04-24-2010, 11:27 AM
Boys, let's get going on this. I need boat info for reservation of the slips.

Also, book your rooms. Don't wait til the last minute. It doesn't cost anything to get your reservations in.

Bob

DonSierra
04-25-2010, 07:55 PM
Bob are we still on for the run? Let me know before I make my resarvation. I want to do my resarvations on Monday.

Ricardo

Tidbart
04-25-2010, 08:57 PM
Yes we are Ricardo. Email or PM me your boat info for the slip. I have to fax that info to the dockmaster.

DonSierra
04-26-2010, 01:32 PM
Reservations done

Tidbart
04-26-2010, 02:11 PM
Here is a little info on the starting point for any newbies to the ditch trip:

WP Franklin Locks. About miles east of I-75 on 80.
Security is good, should not be a concern.
Launch on the southside ramp, this is downstream of the lock,(We will have to go through this lock).
Parking in the south lot for trailers and other cars.
Brackish water, no washdown facilities available.:eek!:
$3 /night, donation, cash in an envelope.
Must file a float plan, who we are, where we going, when get back, contact info.

More info at http://www.recreation.gov/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=73462

Tidbart
04-26-2010, 02:13 PM
And the hotel/resort.....cool place, very nice people.

http://www.piratescoveresort.com/

Tidbart
04-26-2010, 02:14 PM
Reservations done

Good job Ricardo. At least 2 of us are on the ball.:yes::wink:

B

onesubdrvr
04-26-2010, 02:30 PM
You having dinner at Pirates Cove? I'd like to make the drive via car from mi' casa and meet up with y'all if you are :)

Wayne

Tidbart
04-26-2010, 02:56 PM
You having dinner at Pirates Cove? I'd like to make the drive via car from mi' casa and meet up with y'all if you are :)

Wayne

Si, estamos y tenamos cervesas.

B

onesubdrvr
04-26-2010, 03:05 PM
Si, estamos y tenamos cervesas.

B
very good :)

I'll be tracking this with mucho interesto lol

hope to see y'all there :D

Wayne

DonSierra
04-26-2010, 05:36 PM
Donde hay cerveza estoy yo.

Gracias

Ricardo

Tidbart
04-27-2010, 07:17 AM
Spoke with John (Smokediver) yesterday. He and Mark are in with 2 boats, a 27 and a 28 footer.
Keep 'em coming.

Looks like Riptide should be able to meet us at the St Lucie Lock again this year. Hopefully, all the bumps and bruises have healed by now.:):bonk:

Budmann, call in your reservation and email me your boat info. Get Fish to do it also. That's an order.:yes::kingme:

Bob

Tidbart
04-28-2010, 12:50 PM
Guys, call in the hotel reservation, not the boat reservation.
Send the boat info to me via PM or email, or if you want, call me. 321*436*5704

Needed info:
Owner's Name
Make
Model
Length
Reg #
Boat Name, if applicable
Shore power needed, yes or no?

I have a contact at the marina and it is much easier for the marina to have one point of contact with us, much less confusing.:boggled:

Bob

smokediver
04-28-2010, 08:23 PM
i am booked :yes:

Tidbart
04-29-2010, 06:33 AM
i am booked :yes:

Good job John. Now get Mark to book his room and send me along his boat info.

B

naplesdonzi
04-29-2010, 09:19 PM
Okay you bitches.... I'm Booked.

Get Budman off his ass and get that boat finished!!

I got a round of shots waiting at the bar for you.

For all of you who DIDN'T make it the last time...

You missed out on a great trip.

Bob had a few problems but at the end of the day.

I think we all had a blast and it was an awesome trip.

Good food, great friends, lots of laughs!!! Did I mentions lots of laughs.

Hope to meet some new friends and see the ones as well.

Thanks, Mark.

PS> I got my camera batteries charged!

naplesdonzi
04-29-2010, 09:28 PM
Here's a picture from one of the locks.

Tidbart
04-30-2010, 06:18 AM
PS> I got my camera batteries charged!

Oh no, not again!:bonk:

Will be good to see you again Mark.

B

Budmann
05-01-2010, 04:08 PM
ALRIGHTY THEN... WELL... here is what my motor looks like after ONE HOUR in the water!!!!!:shocking::shocking::shocking::shocking: :shocking:

Budmann
05-01-2010, 04:14 PM
Don't count us out but it is going to be close!!!! My guy is working on Saturday's and after work every night this week to get my motor... "THE WAY IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE WHEN I BOUGHT IT"!!!!!!!!!!

For those of you that care ... The head bolts wern't sealed and the water seeped up the head bolts and sent water and rust thruout the motor!! The push rods and rockers reacted first thus sending rust particals throughout the engine and BEARINGS!!!

This has been by far my worst experience purchasing something from someone!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad ::mad::mad:

VetteLT193
05-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Don't count us out but it is going to be close!!!! My guy is working on Saturday's and after work every night this week to get my motor... "THE WAY IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE WHEN I BOUGHT IT"!!!!!!!!!!
For those of you that care ... The head bolts wern't sealed and the water seeped up the head bolts and sent water and rust thruout the motor!! The push rods and rockers reacted first thus sending rust particals throughout the engine and BEARINGS!!!
This has been by far my worst experience purchasing something from someone!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad ::mad::mad:

Eddie went through this BS. He finally gave up and went back to Merc. I think you actually have worse luck than him. I suggest having your guy rebuild this one, sell it, and get a Merc reman in its place. :bonk: :nilly: :lifeprese:

On a related note... still working on the wife for this trip... She's half on board because it's a "Bob" trip and she just loves Bob. I am getting jealous Bob!

VetteLT193
05-01-2010, 08:41 PM
I have over 20KAAA just trying to get someone to "DO THE RIGHT THING"!!!!!
A reman is another 15 at least sooooo THAT IS NOT AN OPTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It"s just ashame 'hand shakes" arn't what they used to be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well...... at least I can sleep at night!!!! Jim (Buezilla) is gonna make it right cause he personally stood behind the person and the motor on this site!
Sucks for him but I paid good money for a VERY misresprsented product!!!!! hope the guy who sold me this motor one day relizes THIS IS NOT HOW YOU DO BUSINESS!!!!!!!!!:confused::confused::confused::co nfused:

Hang in there bro... Handshake? WTF does that mean? OOOOOOF.

it will all work out. Either with concrete shoes or a good engine. If the concrete option comes to play we can take my boat for a 'ride'. :nilly:

BUIZILLA
05-01-2010, 08:59 PM
Bud................

chill

if I don't go to AOTH I will do this trip, but in my fishboat.... gotta have a bimini for all day ventures..

Cuda
05-01-2010, 09:00 PM
I have over 20KAAA just trying to get someone to "DO THE RIGHT THING"!!!!!
A reman is another 15 at least sooooo THAT IS NOT AN OPTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It"s just ashame 'hand shakes" arn't what they used to be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well...... at least I can sleep at night!!!! Jim (Buezilla) is gonna make it right cause he personally stood behind the person and the motor on this site!
Sucks for him but I paid good money for a VERY misresprsented product!!!!! hope the guy who sold me this motor one day relizes THIS IS NOT HOW YOU DO BUSINESS!!!!!!!!!:confused::confused::confused::co nfused:
My neghbor has a Merc 5.7 in a boat he can't get a title to. He got a pontoon boat and lost interest in the Wellcraft. I'm sure it has low hours. He told me today he might pull the engine and junk the boat.

BUIZILLA
05-01-2010, 09:12 PM
relax... :shades:

Tidbart
05-10-2010, 07:31 AM
Well boys,

Less than 2 weeks left. Anyone else want to join in the fun?:yes:

Still waiting on a few to commit.
Budmann, still working on his engine
Fishboy, awful quiet
Jamesbon, not a peep
Buizilla, not sure if going to Kentucky.

Bob

Tidbart
05-10-2010, 07:33 AM
Oh, also, currently 2 rooms still available. I wish someone would book them so I don't have to let them go.
Cost nothing to reserve a room.

Bob

cadillacboats
05-10-2010, 08:47 AM
I would like to volunteer my place if it could be of any use to anyone on the run. I have 5 acres on the waterway near Stuart / Indiantown. 8625 SW Kanner Hwy, Indiantown, FL 34956 (772) 285-2266 cadillacboats@me.com
You can also see my funky collection of 60's and 70's fiberglass speedboats and boats from the Miami area.
Saluti, Cadillac

Tidbart
05-10-2010, 12:46 PM
I would like to volunteer my place if it could be of any use to anyone on the run. I have 5 acres on the waterway near Stuart / Indiantown. 8625 SW Kanner Hwy, Indiantown, FL 34956 (772) 285-2266 cadillacboats@me.com
You can also see my funky collection of 60's and 70's fiberglass speedboats and boats from the Miami area.
Saluti, Cadillac

We appreciate the offer Cadillac. By my estimation, and if everything goes as planned, we should be around your area about 2 pm on Saturday. Maybe we will need a rest stop.

Bob

Budmann
05-10-2010, 06:46 PM
WE ARE OUT!!!!!!!Sorry Bob, but I basically have to "TOTALLY" rebuild my motor in order to make it right!!!
Hopefully we will be ready for Memorial Weekend at the Suwannee>
BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG PARTY THAT WEEKEND with the "Scream and Fly" group as well as a handfull of Donzi's!!!!!!!!!!!
Bob... you keep talking about doin the River soooooooo here is your chance!!!:wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink ::wink::wink::wink:

Tidbart
05-14-2010, 11:09 AM
Well looks like we are stuck at 4 boats for now. I am going to cancel the reservation on the last 2 rooms on Sunday. So if anyone is interested let me know.

This is only a week away, so get you chit together.

I plan on being at the ramp at 09:00 on Saturday morning for a 10:00 takeoff. That should be more than ample time to get things taken care of.

Can't wait. Got to get back to the house and start on the boats maintenance. The garage has me a little behind.:yes:

Call if you need to ask any questions. 321*436*5704

Bob

Tidbart
05-18-2010, 06:33 AM
Weather is looking good.:yes: Can't wait.:boat:

B

DonSierra
05-24-2010, 09:44 AM
I had a great time on this run, something very new to me and I loved it. My boat broke a motor mount and I still do not know what made the noise that one time. Maybe it was the motor mount. I am still going to remove the drive later today to check. Did you all make it OK?

Tidbart
05-24-2010, 10:01 AM
I had a great time on this run, something very new to me and I loved it. My boat broke a motor mount and I still do not know what made the noise that one time. Maybe it was the motor mount. I am still going to remove the drive later today to check. Did you all make it OK?

Hey Ricardo, glad you made it back. We didn't get through the last lock til about 5:30 or so. Everyone made it without any further issues.

My azz is dragging today. Didn't get home til 10 pm last night.

I will post some photos in the next day or two, after I get some rest.:)

Bob

DonSierra
05-24-2010, 04:29 PM
Well, I need a Volvo 290 /1.61 single prop. Boy, Volvo drives are tough. Considering it continued for about 100 miles after we heard the bang.

Tidbart
05-24-2010, 05:44 PM
Well, I need a Volvo 290 /1.61 single prop. Boy, Volvo drives are tough. Considering it continued for about 100 miles after we heard the bang.

So, the drive went and the motor mount. Can't believe you made it all the way back. I am amazed.

You are correct about how tough they are. I had a Volvo duoprop on my old SunRunner and it was built like a tank. I do miss that drive.

I'll keep my ears open for you.

Bob

DonSierra
05-24-2010, 06:57 PM
I replaced the left motor mount, it came apart from the rubber bushing. Then I started her, and the drive is making a very bad sound.

naplesdonzi
05-25-2010, 09:50 PM
Sorry to hear about your drive ricardo. I'm so glad you guys made it back.

It was nice to meet some new friends and see some old ones too.

It was well worth the time, money and effort to make this trip.

John and I are already taking about making a half trip to Roland Martin Marina.
That place was pretty cool and I think its an easy trip without having to cross the lake.

Bob thanks again for putting this together.

I'm waiting on some pictures to post.

smokediver
05-25-2010, 10:23 PM
Glad you made it back Ricardo . I was great to meet you and thanks again for the tow , lol !

Tidbart
05-26-2010, 06:16 AM
Just started on the photos last night. Should have some posted tonight.

Bob

Tidbart
05-26-2010, 07:41 PM
All,
I posted an album of the trip. Will post some more later.

Go here: http://www.donzi.net/forums/album.php?albumid=136

Enjoy.

Bob

PS. We don't do no stinkin "What did we learn" posts on these trips.:wink:

DonSierra
05-27-2010, 06:31 AM
How can I get permission to see the pictures ?

Tidbart
05-27-2010, 06:41 AM
Ricardo,

I didn't know you needed permission. If you click "All Albums" on the blue bar above, they don't open up?
Let me know.

B

DonSierra
05-27-2010, 06:55 AM
Need permission for that to. Do you know how or what I need to get permission?

Tidbart
05-27-2010, 07:14 AM
Email the Harbormaster and ask. My guess is that he just needs give you permission.

When I get some time, I can make a disk and send it to you. PM me your address.

Bob

VetteLT193
05-27-2010, 07:17 AM
How can I get permission to see the pictures ?

Pics look great, wish I could have made it.

To see the albums you have to make a donation to the board.. link at the very top of the site next to the registry logo.

Budmann
05-27-2010, 07:02 PM
yea... I can"t view either! :shocking::shocking::shocking:

Tidbart
05-28-2010, 06:25 AM
when I get a few minutes, I will post them here. Thought I was doing something easy.:shocking::confused:

I will have to do this at home, these ones are low res and look lousy when I copy them over. Will try this afternoon.

rchevelle71
05-28-2010, 09:31 AM
Looks like fun, I wanna do this sometime, maybe next year.

Tidbart
05-28-2010, 01:37 PM
Here you go boys....

Tidbart
05-28-2010, 01:39 PM
And some more......

Budmann
05-28-2010, 05:24 PM
Thank You Bob!!!:wink::wink: Some of us are still puter challenged!! LOL!!

Since we have a year round boating season, why couldn't we do a Fall Run right after Hurricane season??

Just a thought.....

Bud n Denese

DonSierra
05-28-2010, 05:37 PM
Thanks Bob

DonSierra
05-29-2010, 04:47 PM
Bent output shaft. That was the big noise.

BUIZILLA
05-29-2010, 06:05 PM
twisted too.. :bonk:

Budmann
05-29-2010, 09:07 PM
Its on its way.........

DonSierra
05-30-2010, 10:34 AM
The saga continues.

Budmann
06-01-2010, 07:15 AM
OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Isn't boating fun!!!!:wink::wink::wink::wink:

DonSierra
06-01-2010, 05:45 PM
Good news I have all of the parts plus more. I am going to have it assemble and sealed. Could be back in the water in two weeks.

Tidbart
06-02-2010, 09:23 AM
Good news I have all of the parts plus more. I am going to have it assemble and sealed. Could be back in the water in two weeks.

Great news, Ricardo. Let us know how it goes.

Bob

Tidbart
01-19-2013, 09:03 AM
I am posting here as an easy way to contact formerly interested parties that we are attempting another trip this year. :yes::boat::party:

Check out the Events section and get interested. Details will follow in the new thread.

Bob

21eagle
03-01-2013, 04:51 PM
Doable trip in a sweet 16? My parents have a house in naples fl, we go down there often so I could be in area. Looks like a cool trip. Thanks Chris

Tidbart
03-02-2013, 07:17 AM
Doable trip in a sweet 16? My parents have a house in naples fl, we go down there often so I could be in area. Looks like a cool trip. Thanks Chris

See this years thread...
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?68334-Ditch-Trip-3-Okochobee-Waterway-2013

We haven't finalized the plans yet, but it would be doable in a 16.

B