PDA

View Full Version : SBC Exhaust options

mphatc
04-04-2010, 06:58 PM
I'd like to hear some first hand comments om some SBC exhaust manifolds.
Application is a 450+ HP 383 SBC that needs to spin 6K RPM
In particular:
Stainless Marine
Revolution
http://revolutionmarine.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/sbcexhaust.html
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220574021966&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
EMI
http://www.eddiemarine.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=13068&c=63
Moore Performance as seen here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VOLVO-PENTA-AQ-EXHAUST-MANIFOLD-V8-CHEVY-MARINE-ENGINE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4837d52f71QQitem Z310174363505QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGea r
Kodiak
http://www.rexmar.com/page221.html
CMI is out of the budget, as this is a twin engine application and I can't afford them!!!
Any others . . .?

Thanks,
Mario L.

69 Corsican with CMIs
68 Magnum 27 in need of $$$

gcarter
04-04-2010, 07:23 PM
Mario, I had a set of Stainless Marine exhausts on the Minx. I really liked a number of features of them.
As far as performance goes, they're probably about average for after market aluminum manifolds.
One of the things I really liked was the circumferential mounting of the riser on the manifold. It allowed a little "cheating" for exhaust hose alignment purposes. Your not rigidly located by four bolts like the rest of them. This feature also makes for a simpler, lighter assembly.
I had no complaints w/them and they looked really good. The finish was good, never scratched, and the SST risers always looked good. Also, they were very light weight. They were probably about 6-10 lb each.

MOP
04-04-2010, 08:54 PM
Mario throw Gil's into the mix, you saw how long my risers are they will handle any cam you throw at them. I have no room for Q&Q which i would like at times. No question winding up in the 6K range you can make proper use of tube headers which are virtually worthless in the lower rpm ranges. Problem is the cost for the extra mph is it really worth it, maybe next year after saving up a several grand.

BUIZILLA
04-04-2010, 08:59 PM
Mario, did you get my last 2 emails?

go eazy on that 6k thinking...

maddad
04-04-2010, 10:27 PM
Mario, I'm no expert but asked a bunch of questions on this over the years. The trustworthy opinions were that at the input RPMs of our outdrives(Volvo,Merc,whoever)tube headers are not so important. Runner seperation is a good thing and some have more, some have less. The performance of the brands you mentioned is probably so close you'd never notice the differance. I used Stainless Marine because they're light, have a bit of room for adjustment while installing, and dealing with Brownie was as easy as it gets.

LKSD
04-05-2010, 06:56 AM
EMI, SM or CMI if you want to spend even more $$$ The go up in $ in the same order I have them listed.. The EMI is a lot for the $. But depending on what is in your engine & how much breathing you will really need will determine what you will need. Also Brownie, is no longer with SM, but I offer their products.. :) If you want a price on any kits feel free to give me a shout.. If I remember correctly this is the project with twins.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

VetteLT193
04-05-2010, 07:27 AM
The alignment issue GCarter talked about can be a major problem especially if $$$ is a factor.

What the major manufacturers want with their long tails is to send you out the set, you test fit them, give them measurements, send them back and they cut/reweld the tails, then you get them back. That is a total PITA. They do not line up like the factory exhaust. All of the systems seem to be wider and the angle can, and usually is, messed up. I had EMI's. great product, just totally different than stock.

So... with that said, I'd take GLM's or another aluminum stock knock off over the other exhausts out there unless I was going for BIG power.

LKSD
04-05-2010, 07:38 AM
The Glm aluminum stuff is currently NLA for the most part, not sure exactly why, but all of our warehouses that we pull from are only selling off what is left in inventory & they are not replenishing it.. :boggled:

Besides that , the GLM breathes only a tiny bit better than stock. It's claim to fame is light weight aluminum construction & it flows just a tad bit better.

If you need a system that can handle more power & breathe well then the other systems already discussed would be a better choice.. ;) Jamie / Lakeside

VetteLT193
04-05-2010, 07:41 AM
The Glm aluminum stuff is currently NLA for the most part, not sure exactly why, but all of our warehouses that we pull from are only selling off what is left in inventory & they are not replenishing it.. :boggled:
Besides that , the GLM breathes only a tiny bit better than stock. It's claim to fame is light weight aluminum construction & it flows just a tad bit better.
If you need a system that can handle more power & breathe well then the other systems already discussed would be a better choice.. ;) Jamie / Lakeside

stinks on GLM. I heard about another brand that is doing the same thing but I can't recall the name right this second...

I hear ya on exhaust flow. I just wanted to bring up the point of flow Vs. the work that goes into making it happen. still seems retarded that no one has manged to come up with a better flowing exhaust that keeps the same alignment as factory stuff.

mattyboy
04-05-2010, 09:14 AM
we used Stainless on the 350sbc?volvo 20 cig they were an easy install and a big weight savings from the old chris craft logs.the price was reasonable and they have held up well for the last 5 years both performance and looks wise