04-03-2010, 07:15 PM
Video of testing the 16 with blackhawk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqbMsuG2ABw

MOP
04-03-2010, 07:23 PM
SO! Give some narrative! Looks good and sounds mean! Phil

younger
04-03-2010, 07:32 PM
Running 28 bravo 3 props can spin them to 6000 no problem. Need to get some bh props. Handling is awesome. Top speed is already gone over 75 but have not seen tops yet. Still breaking in drive, the thing goes like a scalded dog.

MOP
04-04-2010, 07:01 AM
Like I said every last drop of the bad handling aspects of the 16 will disappear and I was 100% sure it would!

Do a separate post on BH wheels reason being one of the guys in the Maryland area ran a s of BIII's on his BH, he can tell you the speed difference between BH & BIII. The BIII's have more blade area so more then just pitch goes into stepping up to BH wheels. Plus the big kicker I have a hunch next winter the X will sneak up to the right height for the BH. Don Tamm's 18 was left at stock height as he did not want to modify the hull. He gave up about (GUESS) 7-8 MPH being deep, running a very well warmed over 427 SB making a lot of ponies. Steve's 18 at the right height was first classic to try the drive was only a hair off 80 with a bone stock 300 Merc, me thinks in the end you will need custom wheels to get all that little bugger has to offer! You are close to stepping into the "WOLF Pack" arena!

IMO 90+ with confidence is just s few steps away.

Phil

mattyboy
04-04-2010, 07:02 AM
nice

Pismo
04-04-2010, 07:30 AM
90+ in a 16' boat, get your life insurance up to date...

MOP
04-04-2010, 07:41 AM
Pismo what that drive does for handling it just startling, the boat is riding on rails. Rootsy going over 80 with a SS to me was scary though he did it well, this is a whole different scenario much safer.

Pismo
04-04-2010, 10:07 AM
Pismo what that drive does for handling it just startling, the boat is riding on rails. Rootsy going over 80 with a SS to me was scary though he did it well, this is a whole different scenario much safer.

It is more when a prop blade flies off or a gimbal or shaft breaks, then you are in trouble.

Ed Donnelly
04-04-2010, 10:22 AM
Could you imagine the speeds I would have got with my twin turbo 16' ..Ed

mattyboy
04-04-2010, 10:52 AM
you can tell by the way it planes off , there's not excessive bow lift

younger
04-04-2010, 12:52 PM
There is no dought that even with this combo it will run low 80's no gps numbers yet, still testing and breaking in. It accelerates like the wind. Compared to the alpha this is like driving a caddy. Smooth and driveable. Before above 70 it was a flying coffin.

Sweet Cheekz
04-04-2010, 05:01 PM
Looks sweet! What motor do you have in there?
Its gonna be a rocket for sure.
Parnell

younger
04-07-2010, 10:16 AM
The motor is a 415 motown with edlebrock rpm heads and air gap intake. Full roller motor. HEI ignition. 750 vac. holley.

glashole
04-07-2010, 12:42 PM
bring it to trenton and you can try a couple sets of my blackhawk props

bring beer

younger
04-07-2010, 04:51 PM
I may just do that. How close are you to a boat ramp? How is the water in wellers bay this time of year? Any floating debris?

MOP
04-07-2010, 07:42 PM
Boy you are worrying about a little flotsam with all that Granite you guys have up there!

glashole
04-08-2010, 07:59 AM
we would actually go in the bay of quinte and yes there are a bunch of ramps real close by as well as a marina that would be no problem to use

the bay is real low because of the snow shortage so i haven't seen anything floating but honestly haven't been out yet

let me know it would have to be in the evenings or better yet on the weekends

Shea

tice652
04-09-2010, 07:07 PM
Has anyone ever tried a 3" raised extension box with a blackhawk? It would be a pricey experiment - But might save cutting the transom for those extra mph's.
Dan

RedDog
04-10-2010, 09:22 AM
Great video and effort on the boat.

I love the video narrative - the kids sound like they are excited, or more so, than you are.

There ya Go!

younger
04-10-2010, 09:31 AM
This clip was made by my 8 year old. And yes he is my wingman. Looks like I may need to get him a helmet.

mike o
04-10-2010, 09:39 AM
Great video and effort on the boat.

I love the video narrative - the kids sound like they are excited, or more so, than you are.

There ya Go!I got a kick out of it 2.......

MOP
04-10-2010, 01:23 PM
He sure has grown a lot since we first met, handsome little fellow to say the least! Looking forward to running the river with you and the rest of the great bunch that make the run.

younger
04-16-2010, 10:56 AM
A question for the bh experts. What are the accellertion characteristics of the bh powered boat? I am finding that when the throttle is pushed the motor pegs 5800rpm and the boat feels like it is building speed. It blazes from 60 on with a feeling of no end in sight. It also seems that the faster I go the more effiecent it becomes. Is this a feeling of the props slipping and catching up as the props get more bite? The boat will peg the 80mph speedo and still be picking up speed. Running a mod 28 bravo 3 front and just got a 28 chopper bh rear from Mrfixxall which is great. This combo still goesn't hold the motor back. This week comming will be gps week, we will get some real #'s

glashole
04-16-2010, 11:14 AM
thats how they work

come down and i will take you for a rip in a real blackhawk for some comparison, but keep in mind your beast is a totally different animal

perfect speed trial area and a couple extra props about 45min to the west

younger
04-16-2010, 11:19 AM
I have got you in mind for some testing. I would like to see a direct compar between the 2 boats.

mrfixxall
04-16-2010, 11:20 AM
A question for the bh experts. What are the accellertion characteristics of the bh powered boat? I am finding that when the throttle is pushed the motor pegs 5800rpm and the boat feels like it is building speed. It blazes from 60 on with a feeling of no end in sight. It also seems that the faster I go the more effiecent it becomes. Is this a feeling of the props slipping and catching up as the props get more bite? The boat will peg the 80mph speedo and still be picking up speed. Running a mod 28 bravo 3 front and just got a 28 chopper bh rear from Mrfixxall which is great. This combo still goesn't hold the motor back. This week comming will be gps week, we will get some real #'s

have your prop guy put some more cup in the front prop,,leave the rear alone for now ..

MOP
04-16-2010, 02:41 PM
Blackhawk wheels! The front prop is 1" less pitch then the rear it feeds the rear, I would wait to try a set of 31's which should get you close. Remember you are a "ONE OFF" there are no other boats to compare. Which the power you are making triple digits may be out there. I have a hunch you may be banging another inch into 31's, time will tell!

Check your PM's

Phil

Jraysray
04-16-2010, 03:11 PM
If you don't have one, you do now.

"There Ya Go"

glashole
04-19-2010, 09:25 AM
I have got you in mind for some testing. I would like to see a direct compar between the 2 boats.

you had better get on this because i am seriously thinking of making a change within a week so it might not be here to play with

also i have a set of upper gears 1:32 - 1 WHICH MIGHT BE THE ANSWER TO SPIN THE PROPS YOU ALREADY HAVE

Shea

younger
04-19-2010, 01:31 PM
Just got off the water gps, resaults 79.4mph! Flat water me and a rider half tank of feul. 6000rpm tach. pegged! Thinking more prop! Shea when would you be around this week!

glashole
04-19-2010, 02:10 PM
I am avaliable all week after 5

613 394 3597 7-5
613 848 4338 any other time

give me a heads up if you are coming down and i will make sure i am free

bring beer

Shea

MOP
04-19-2010, 03:46 PM
I am thinking upper gears also, there may not be anything out there with enough pitch. What is the torque peak and at what RPM, I would try to get down there I think you are too high and will realize more speed getting it closer.

younger
04-19-2010, 03:56 PM
For sure gears have been in play all along. The motor peek torque is probably in the mid to upper 4's and hp around 6grand. I wood like to see max rpm in the 5500 range. I really don't know what my max rpm is as my tach is on the pin. The combo is over the usable reliable rpm range. The motor can do it but a little fast for the bh. I agree there is more speed to be had with true bh props and possibly some gear. The boat is disapointing in that it does not feel as fast as it was with the alpha, but it sure is smooth now.

MOP
04-19-2010, 05:28 PM
I would love to see an 8K tack plugged in, I bet you are way up there. When I was turning 55-5600 I was doing 63 now that I have it down to 5K 65.5, marine likes to sit on it torque peak unlike land stuff that can wind to the moon. A 22BH turns in the 80's you are close to 1K lighter, profile in the wind is far less and wetted surface is under half. You are making more HP then a 22BH you have a ways to go for full potential. I have $100 that says you will tickle triple digits, any takers?

MOP
04-19-2010, 05:32 PM
[quote=younger; The boat is disapointing in that it does not feel as fast as it was with the alpha, but it sure is smooth now.[/quote]

You bet it feels slower having lost ALL the 16's handling and ride traits! You now possess a brand new animal!!!!!!!!!!! Have you noticed trim does near nothing, I said long ago the 16 is the perfect BH drive boat with its built in bow lift!

younger
04-20-2010, 08:28 AM
Trim has some effect it will still hang the bow. But top speed is just a hair positive. I agree mop that I need to get into the meat of the motor and things will happen. The accel. is awsome with this set-up, but need more efficence. Be kind of nice to turn 3800 and be doing 65. Be able to cover some river then.

Sweet Cheekz
04-20-2010, 07:50 PM
I would love to see an 8K tack plugged in, I bet you are way up there. When I was turning 55-5600 I was doing 63 now that I have it down to 5K 65.5, marine likes to sit on it torque peak unlike land stuff that can wind to the moon. A 22BH turns in the 80's you are close to 1K lighter, profile in the wind is far less and wetted surface is under half. You are making more HP then a 22BH you have a ways to go for full potential. I have $100 that says you will tickle triple digits, any takers?

I'm in
Different bottom and a lot less stability than a 22C
Lunch at Claudios in June when I come out there?
Parnell

MOP
04-21-2010, 07:49 AM
Looking back into my BH research the BH wheels may not work as well on your setup as they do on the BH, they create a lot of bow lift. Below is a shot of what one member did to a set to reduce boa lift. The BIII wheels make quite a bit of stern lift, it will be interesting to see if you induce porpoising with the BH wheels! In the picture notice how much was scalloped out of the front prop. If I remember correctly this was done at Lake X by Merc for one of our guys!

Carl C
04-21-2010, 07:59 AM
SO! Give some narrative! Looks good and sounds mean! Phil

Narrative is there! "Come on Dad" "There you go!". Great stuff. Wish I had a son sometimes....
I second the motion of naming her "There Ya Go". You can just put it in small letters in the corner or something. Congrats on the boat and kids.

glashole
04-21-2010, 08:40 AM
we will know everything friday night :crossfing:

all of the worlds problems are going to be solved and your questions will be answered

being a highly secretive operator i will give no information as to the outcome

we will be testing 29 and 31 true blackhawk props

speculate away

Shea

Sweet Cheekz
04-21-2010, 11:21 AM
I speculate it will go very fast!
I also speculate with enough beer said highly secretive operative would sing like a bird.

Parnell

younger
04-22-2010, 08:11 PM
I have a vibe that it will handle even better and be faster. As shea said time will tell. You think my little man is into the donzi, my wife has the target on the small of her back. DONZI :wink:

MOP
04-23-2010, 07:37 AM
Shea leave the 29's home he will spin the 31's with ease!

Tom Davis
04-23-2010, 02:51 PM
Sounds like a cool project boat, good luck. I couldn't open the video but if you send me some pictures of the transom on the trailer I may be able to help.

Here is what I do know:

1) Hale does a great job of taking stock BH props and fine tunning them to your actual performance numbers. Adding cup, changing pitch, reducing blade area, etc...

2) The X dimension is very important for the BH!!

3) The X dimension is very important for the BH!!

4) the trim of the drive once planned has a "sweet spot" once you go past it you can feel the boat slow down, trim it back down and leave it. Once you find it leave it there for the rest of the run.

5) Rocker plates will help you on the short 16 hull

6) Reinforce the stringers, transom, and motor mounts you will need it in the long run

7) The X dimension is very important for the BH!!

Trust me...

Tom Davis
Winni Bandits
X-18 350 BH stock 80mph (I built Stevie Marr's)

MOP
04-23-2010, 08:34 PM
Tom the X may be next, I have been after him a little.

BUIZILLA
04-23-2010, 08:47 PM
so....

I take it the X dimension is a pretty big deal

LOL

younger
04-23-2010, 09:12 PM
As a resault shea and I ran the 31's 80.7, Still some left was starting to wiggle. Feels like it is falling off the keel and gets into a hull slap. Have about an hour and a half seat time with this combo. So with some time I have no dought it will run mid 80's. Was showing 70 mph @ just over 4000rpm. Shea was on the gps and gauges. At 70 it is as smooth as silk. So the tweeking begins!

MOP
04-24-2010, 07:14 AM
Everything will change once you raise the X and get the gear case clear of the water flow, IMO you will lose some the current stern lift and gain several miles per hour and I believe some stability. Steve's 18 which Tom setup rides on rails and like he said does a hair under 80 with a stock 300hp Merc. The BH wheels induced a little wiggle, that can be worked out by Hale. I wonder what the available pitches are for the BIII XR, that may be another route to explore. At least you would have stock items rather then custom.

Phil

younger
04-24-2010, 08:30 AM
Sorry MOP the X is going to stay! The only reason for this is a stock appearing 16. If I have the to go any faster another boat will be the route to go. I understand the thought of extracting all potential, but running 80 in the 16 is fast. Even with the bh and the stock location the handling bonus has been well worth the experiment. Driving this thing reminds me of the day's I was running outboard hydo's. There is a real feeling of speed!

glashole
04-24-2010, 09:09 AM
boat works real good

honestly couldn't have seen being comfortable in a 16 at 70 mph but it is like it is on rails

awesome boat , great addition to make the 16 usable,

none of the customary 16 traits

it doesn't hurt having the monster motor that he does, but i would assume a smaller motor would still benefit from the drive as well

the boat has more than 80 in it for sure but we were running out of hull

the hull slap it the only thing holding it back

good to meet up again, look forward to doing some running

Shea

younger
04-25-2010, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the use of the props and the spiderman abilities holding the interior in Shea.

Greg Guimond
04-25-2010, 03:20 PM
80.7 .........that is awesome! Another entry into the 16over80 Club :eek:

mrfixxall
04-25-2010, 05:42 PM
younger,which gear ratio you running?

CHACHI
04-25-2010, 06:26 PM
Norm, I need a ride.

Ken

MOP
04-25-2010, 07:33 PM
Ah as soon as Shea speaks of a 16 it brings fond memories of his 16 bouncing down the river with his cute bikini clad lady hanging on for dear life!

younger
04-26-2010, 10:49 AM
The gear ratio is 1.65. I will be looking forward to getting some seat time and doing some more tuning.

glashole
04-27-2010, 07:38 AM
the drive looks good on the back for sure

LITTLE MAX
04-27-2010, 07:51 AM
The gear ratio is 1.65. I will be looking forward to getting some seat time and doing some more tuning. Younger How much power you running with the 1.65 drive
only asking because I am running 1.50 with a worked set of 31 on it. In my 20' cig

younger
04-27-2010, 03:25 PM
The motor is producing an estimated 475 hp and 525ft/lbs. With my 28 props front being a bIII and rear a 28 chopper bh spin 6000 easy. With sheas 31's never got to see max rpm boat gets into a hull slap. This is due to the stern lift I suspect. With the 31's it is super effiecent.

mrfixxall
04-27-2010, 04:01 PM
The motor is producing an estimated 475 hp and 525ft/lbs. With my 28 props front being a bIII and rear a 28 chopper bh spin 6000 easy. With sheas 31's never got to see max rpm boat gets into a hull slap. This is due to the stern lift I suspect. With the 31's it is super effiecent.

your pm is full :)

A 1.50 will get rid of your slip rate which is around 20% but will also put you beck into your torque range which will = more speed..

The Hedgehog
04-27-2010, 05:54 PM
This is some pretty cool stuff. Nice job younger.

LITTLE MAX
04-27-2010, 10:05 PM
your pm is full :)

A 1.50 will get rid of your slip rate which is around 20% but will also put you beck into your torque range which will = more speed.. Mr fix
You hit it on the head. That is why I was asking what power he had.
Nice job Younger running 80 in a 16' must be some rush

glashole
04-28-2010, 06:42 AM
like i said, you and the wife should try to free up the long weekend and come down to kentucky with me

good time and I am sure a few here would like to see that thing run

Shea

younger
04-28-2010, 07:41 AM
Shea do you think it would be fast enough for the run? There is still some tweaking to be done. The plan all along has been to find a set of props and gear around them. Due to the supply of props. Thanks to Shea kindness to lend me his 31 as a trial. I know The direction I have to go.

younger
05-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Just ordered a set of hoss props in a 30" pitch. Dave was supper helpful with set-up and tips for the bh. Should see these in a few weeks. Hoping they will put me in the power range and handle some of the handling quirks at 80 plus.

Sweet Cheekz
05-07-2010, 07:53 PM
Younger No one on the board has a faster 16 so my guess is your as fast as half the field. I'd say that you have no problems and besides everyone doesn't run wide open anyways. Its a great group of people and a total blast.
Parnell

younger
05-13-2010, 07:54 PM
Just an update. I'm waiting on a set of Hoss props from Dave Bostic who as we know help develop the BH props for Gary Eisenburg at merc back in the day. I have gathered some interesting info from him. The first was prop timing. He had mentioned that the 180 degree method that merc uses is just a genaric. Dave told me that the front prop blade does most of its work in the first 90 degrees of making contact with the water in surfacing cond. and to time that with the rear. He also said in some situations the front prop thrust will hit the back of the rear prop blade. So to time the props so the rear picks up the front thrust at the right time. So today I set out to trial this, with good resaults. The rear prop was retarded in the factory setting, so I advanced it two splines cw. On the water test netted me more speed per rpm. I did not do a full throttle blast as these are my 28's and buzzing @6000 plus was not needed. I wanted to see if I would pick up mid range eff. And this was a for sure. It would cruise at 70mph in the 5000 plus range. This may not sound great but it is better then before. With this prop set before it would be doing in the 65 range and would have to spin 6000 plus to do the 79.4gps. Another intrest was x-dim. I told him my drive local and he said I was 2" low. Yes MOP. Yes MOP. One of the main reasons is as the boat tries to lift the bow it pushes the drive down which is so far back the bullet is now pushing on the surface or just below , it is being forced down creating stern lift. If the case is higher you don't get the same push back or stean lift as when it is lower. And as a resault with the drive at the correct x these forces are minimal and less resistance for greater top speed and handling. With this being said Dave told me that with some prop tweeking with the lower x it can be helped. We wait and see!

glashole
05-28-2010, 08:44 AM
picked up an extra set of 31's
if you are interested give me a shout

have a good one

Shea

LITTLE MAX
05-29-2010, 04:31 PM
:shark:
picked up an extra set of 31's
if you are interested give me a shout

have a good one

Shea Shea Check your PM box

younger
05-30-2010, 09:24 PM
Shea I'm waiting on a set of 30's from hoss. He started working on then a few weeks back. hope to see them at my door soon. I have been getting some seat time and the boat is getting faster every time out. I am speculating mid to upper 80's with this prop set. When they arrive the gps will be out. It is kind of cool when we pull up on a fast fountain and you can see the girl riding shotgun mouth the words look at the little boat. We wave then on, and the big bad fountain disapears in the rooster tail.:)

sweet 16 1966
05-31-2010, 01:59 PM
That Blackhawk looks great on the 16. Nice job and very interesting set up. Are there any weight issues in the rear end? Seems as though it would be much heavier.

younger
05-31-2010, 08:48 PM
It has no weight issues. When it is running it feels lighter then with the alpha even though the bh has more mass.

MDonziM
06-01-2010, 06:04 AM
Just an update. I'm waiting on a set of Hoss props from Dave Bostic who as we know help develop the BH props for Gary Eisenburg at merc back in the day. I have gathered some interesting info from him. The first was prop timing. He had mentioned that the 180 degree method that merc uses is just a genaric. Dave told me that the front prop blade does most of its work in the first 90 degrees of making contact with the water in surfacing cond. and to time that with the rear. He also said in some situations the front prop thrust will hit the back of the rear prop blade. So to time the props so the rear picks up the front thrust at the right time. So today I set out to trial this, with good resaults. The rear prop was retarded in the factory setting, so I advanced it two splines cw. On the water test netted me more speed per rpm. I did not do a full throttle blast as these are my 28's and buzzing @6000 plus was not needed. I wanted to see if I would pick up mid range eff. And this was a for sure. It would cruise at 70mph in the 5000 plus range. This may not sound great but it is better then before. With this prop set before it would be doing in the 65 range and would have to spin 6000 plus to do the 79.4gps. Another intrest was x-dim. I told him my drive local and he said I was 2" low. Yes MOP. Yes MOP. One of the main reasons is as the boat tries to lift the bow it pushes the drive down which is so far back the bullet is now pushing on the surface or just below , it is being forced down creating stern lift. If the case is higher you don't get the same push back or stean lift as when it is lower. And as a resault with the drive at the correct x these forces are minimal and less resistance for greater top speed and handling. With this being said Dave told me that with some prop tweeking with the lower x it can be helped. We wait and see!

I'm curoius, I talked to Hoss last year (not sure who) and I thought they no longer made bh props. Is Dave Bostic still at hoss? I run a bh with a bravo x dim so I'm looking for a prop to help with the deep x.

younger
06-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Dave is still the owner of hoss and I just got of the phone with him 10 minutes ago. The props I have ordered get shipped out tomorrow. These are a set of 30" divelopemental props he has tweeked for me. He has tailored them for my app. in regards to my x-dim. So I hope to see then in the next week. Dave is a pleasure to talk to and has been very helpful to me. If the props do as designed I sould easily see mid 80's. With some seat time and some playing the bIII and chopper comb. I have the boat is running low 80's now. In my app. this drive system is unreal. I can't say enough for the handling an speed.

MOP
06-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Finally a 16 on rails! Can't say I did not say I told you so!

younger
06-01-2010, 04:23 PM
MOP now you need to say it loud enough that mercury can hear. Would be nice to see black build the drive to the xr standards with a beefed up vert. shaft. Along with striat cut gears up top and big bearings to carry the load. I can't say enough about this package I have put together in the 16. It was 2 years of work and research and convincing. Thanks again Phil. I owe you a ride. Bring goggles:)

MOP
06-01-2010, 05:51 PM
MOP now you need to say it loud enough that mercury can hear. Would be nice to see black build the drive to the xr standards with a beefed up vert. shaft. Along with striat cut gears up top and big bearings to carry the load. I can't say enough about this package I have put together in the 16. It was 2 years of work and research and convincing. Thanks again Phil. I owe you a ride. Bring goggles:)

I knew that it was a good package, I held on to my BH drive with the same intent but just did not have it in me for another project and the funds that go with it. You have no idea just how tickled I am that you finally got it together, I know it will just get better and better. Next year raised X and more propping you will tickle or pass 3 digits. Phil

glashole
06-02-2010, 10:13 AM
don't get to far into it

the x dimension isn't perfect but it does work

ride in the boat first Phil, works great but doubt it will be a safe 100 mph boat
get a set of K planes to control the hop and it will be a safe 85mph boat though

younger
06-09-2010, 09:22 PM
Received my new hoss modded props, they are on and waiting testing.Hopefully tomorrow. Rained all day, so no boating.They look like they are going to be trick. Dave played with them so the boat would ride flatter. The cleaver design should help. Front prop 16.5 " in dia. progressive pitch to 29". The rear is a tweeked 31 bh. Will post the resaults.

MOP
06-10-2010, 06:43 AM
The stern lift is what bothers me, makes it run to flat. My 22 with the high Tempest X went very flat over 40 killing top end, I could get a couple of MPH extra in the right chop. But the chop could not be to tall then the wheels would be breaking loose to much. Steve's BH 18 ran quite well in a chop so the 16 may also, but the raised X is still key!

Tom Davis
06-10-2010, 08:07 AM
1) No on the K-Plane use Rocker Plates, less drag, better ride attitude adjustment.

2) Too much Cleaver creates stern lift, better with rounder ears to bring the bow up.

3) The correct X dimension will eliminate the bow lift issue and any bow slapping.

4) The only part of the prop that should be in the water is below the hub (just blades man:)

Trust me...
Tom Davis
Winni Bandits

younger
06-10-2010, 12:23 PM
The boat does not need any more bow lift. The testing of these props will tell the tail. I understand the x factor and the bh design. I wanted the boat to stay in a stock configuration. So when it is in the water it looks like a plane jain 16:) The x is been altered some when I put in the new transom. The engine sits as high as it will with the stock hatch. When I had Dave Bostic do these props I of coarse gave him all the spec and detail of the boats handling. He did agree that the x could come up a touch. He said that he could tweek the props to help me out some. Time will tell. I plan on testing as soon as the weather gets good. We have to realize that the speed of this thing is running now is crazy. After a run I have to wipe off the back of the boat because it is covered with drool and tears that have blown off my face. So far with my 28 the biggest speed gain has been seat time. I have run alot of different performace boats and this is a totally different animal. There has been a few people that have gone for a ride that are quite familure with perf. boats and will never get in again. My best passenger is my wife. We went for a rip last week and I was into the 80's I take a look back to see if she is still there and she is sitting cross legged on the back seat and not even hanging on to the rail. It reminded me why I married her:nilly:

Tom Davis
06-10-2010, 12:54 PM
You have found yourself a good woman there. Reminds me of Steve Marr's wife Suzie. Steve would have the 18BH WOT flying through the air and she would be sitting there with a glass of wine in one hand and a cig in the other!

Sorry about the bow lift, I thought you said you were not getting enough. I would like to drive it sometime and see how it compares to the 18.

Do you have any tabs on it now?

Did you find the sweet spot on the trim? It might have different caracteristics with the lower X, but the X18 had a noticable sweet spot in the trim that if you went past it you could feel the boat slow down. Then if you trim it back into the seet spot thats it you can just leave it there for the remainder of the fly. The X18 has no tabs so once its trimmed just hold on to the wheel and open it up.

Congrats on a cool new addition to the high performance Donzi Family. Its cool to have such a sleeper boat. Kind of like Mighty Mouse running in the NY city poker run and smoking all the big boys out of the gate!

Be safe out there, and come to Winni for the poker run at the end of July. Its a great run and there are other 16s that do the run with us. Its a great lake and a great gathering. Hope to see you there.

Tom Davis
Winni Bandits

younger
06-16-2010, 08:20 PM
Got to try my new 30" props. The mid range was awsome. 3000 rpm 45 mph 3350 52.7mph not bad to cruise. It was scarrrrrrrrrry fast, no idea the handling was offside. I was hitting 70 plus and was hardly over 4300. I gave a few quick pokes on the throttle and the motor had no problem pulling them. The boat would air out so much, I could trim out as far as I wanted and the props would not brake loose. The front prop has to much dia. As a test I cupped my 28 bravo III and ran it in front of the 31 cleaver. I was able to maintain the mid range, with running 74.1 and lots left. Had the wife and boy so I ran with some sence. The boat is no longer for sale. It is just way to much fun. Going to run the river on Sat. the poker run in Alex Bay NY. See if we can tag along.

Sweet Cheekz
06-16-2010, 09:06 PM
Congrats Glad to see you are keeping it. This thing is one of a kind
Parnell

younger
06-18-2010, 10:17 PM
I have been playing most of the week with the set -up. And the greatest asset of the comb I have put together is not how fast it is but how effiecent it is just some #'s. @ 2800 rpm it is going 40 mph. It cruises @ 3500 running mid 50's and @ 4000 it is running 61. It will run 70 @ 4400-4500rpm. I have yet to been able to max the motor out to confirm a top speed, but it is fast. The props from Hoss have been great I give the trim button one quick press and it is set. The props have created lots of bow lift. The only draw back is I have lost my rooster tail. But that is a resault of the props effiecency. Very little wasted energy. All the energy is in forward push.

younger
08-11-2010, 04:05 PM
Just a quick update on the bh 16. Ran the St. Lawerance today and was able to squeeze some more out. She was turning 5450 and almost pulled 85 mph 84.4. Three in the boat and 30 gallons of fuel. I think that if I get perfect conditions 85 might be there. I was running on smooth water. MOP you missed you ride this past weekend. The river was rough could have given you one great ride. Next time.

MOP
08-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Just a quick update on the bh 16. Ran the St. Lawerance today and was able to squeeze some more out. She was turning 5450 and almost pulled 85 mph 84.4. Three in the boat and 30 gallons of fuel. I think that if I get perfect conditions 85 might be there. I was running on smooth water. MOP you missed you ride this past weekend. The river was rough could have given you one great ride. Next time.

I was bummed out and working, missed the run and seeing all the friends I have gathered up there over the years. The new job took precedent, after being out of work for a year I am loving being back to work.

Greg Guimond
09-29-2010, 04:35 AM
Any speed updates Younger?

younger
10-02-2010, 03:45 PM
I have been wanting to get one last run in before the winterization process begins. I would like to make a run with low fuel and no interior and ride solo in some cold choppy water. If it works out I will get my little man to shoot some vids. See if we can get it into the over 85 club.

Greg Guimond
10-03-2010, 12:11 PM
Younger, get out there and get that 85GPS. The cooler weather is worth 2-3MPH. What would be cool is a vid of the speedo needle climbing :eek:

boogie
10-07-2010, 10:42 PM
Cool boat!! So all you did was bolt a Blackhawk drive on or did you have to mod the hull?

younger
10-14-2010, 06:09 PM
Here is the last run of the year. Was hoping for some mph but there was to much traffic and rouge waves. 77.8mph. I was never able to stay in the throttle any more than 25-30 seconds all season long. 84.4 is the fastest this summer. The boat also does not run well light, the fastest speed was with full fuel and 3 people. In the video I pulled the interior and ran 1/3 of a tank of fuel. The boat gets supper floaty above 80 and I have put many many hours on this set-up testing. The bh has been a great addition to this boat, with my 30 Hoss props it runs super eifficent. The boat has been a major sleeper. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKFdmf5i4Ow

Greg Guimond
10-14-2010, 06:16 PM
younger, the year is NOT over till Nov 1 .......keep at it to bust 85 in 2010. Then I'll have to go get a bigger motor

younger
10-14-2010, 06:21 PM
I am winterizing monday. Drive is off and end off season checks done! I don't know if you noticed the touque! Canada you know!

Greg Guimond
10-14-2010, 06:34 PM
Yes, I did understand your location as Canada, although I am not sure where exactly or more to the point how far North. You could be in the Northwest T's for all I know. I don't mind the parka and gloves but then again its not everyone's cup of tea and I am a little off :nilly:

Greg Guimond
10-14-2010, 06:48 PM
Btw, are you getting those speed readings using either Livorsi or Garmin GPS Speedo units?

younger
10-19-2010, 07:07 PM
Garmin GPS! I wish it was old speedo days!

Greg Guimond
10-19-2010, 07:53 PM
84.4 stands as the fastest current 16 Classic.............nice work.

Greg Guimond
11-29-2010, 08:16 PM
Man 85 is quick for a stock hull 16........I'm not chasing that monkey in '11 :frown:

younger
11-30-2010, 12:20 PM
It is kind of weired that this boat started out as a 4.3 omc doing 52-53 and that was fun. Then the 350 alpha combo for a couple years topped at 68, along came the 415 alpha, and I hit 72mph and I thouhgt that was great. The handling was rotten with the larger motor and alpha. Yanked the motor bolted on the bravo transom and bh and have ran best 84.4mph. There is more in this combo no dought with some x-dia changes and a set of 31's. From my point I would say it would run around 87-90mph. We are all after more but after the progression of this boat I have to say 80 mph in a 16 is smokin! I think that if I plan on going any faster it will be in something like a 22. Wife would like a 22 with a 572bbc, aluminum headed roller motor, imco shorty to match her donzi tattoo. I would think that would fill the need for speed.

Greg Guimond
11-30-2010, 01:12 PM
Interesting provenance for your hull and at 85 no doubt the fastest 16 in the world at present. The thing I found amazing was the BH's smoothness. When you add the super flat attack angle to that it kind of makes all the 16 "drama" go away. Many on this board have said that, but the video really spells it out. Places a very high bar for the rest of us! There is some equation that spells out what is required for each additional 1mph above 80 in terms of power and I think it pretty much sends OB lovers like me back to the ..................

CHACHI
11-30-2010, 01:54 PM
It is kind of weired that this boat started out as a 4.3 omc doing 52-53 and that was fun. Then the 350 alpha combo for a couple years topped at 68, along came the 415 alpha, and I hit 72mph and I thouhgt that was great. The handling was rotten with the larger motor and alpha. Yanked the motor bolted on the bravo transom and bh and have ran best 84.4mph. There is more in this combo no dought with some x-dia changes and a set of 31's. From my point I would say it would run around 87-90mph. We are all after more but after the progression of this boat I have to say 80 mph in a 16 is smokin! I think that if I plan on going any faster it will be in something like a 22. Wife would like a 22 with a 572bbc, aluminum headed roller motor, imco shorty to match her donzi tattoo. I would think that would fill the need for speed.

Poor Loretta. :eek:

Ken

younger
11-30-2010, 04:46 PM
Greg no need to go hot boxin in the wood shed. Nothing like blue smoke. If you drive harder then the rest, you will be faster. 2011 cool factor!!!!!!!!:cool!:

Donziweasel
11-30-2010, 06:36 PM
Interesting provenance for your hull and at 85 no doubt the fastest 16 in the world at present

There is always someone faster. There was a 500 hp+ 16 for sale not too long ago that ran faster than 85. Still, a very nice accomplishment.

Greg Guimond
08-19-2011, 10:19 PM
younger, I lost track. Is 84.4mph GPS with your 16 Blackhawk still the best run you got. How many horsepower do you have again?

Pismo
08-20-2011, 08:21 AM
84.4mph in a 16' boat, my god....

Greg Guimond
08-21-2011, 03:27 PM
I'm not sure if younger still even has the blackhawk 16 or if he is still on the board these days.

CHACHI
08-22-2011, 06:03 AM
At the 1K Poker run he had it.

Ken

younger
08-22-2011, 03:03 PM
Thanks Ken. Yes I still have the boat. It is for sale. The motor has not been dynoed so the numbers are an estimation of previous sbc I have built. It is a conservitive 475 hp. The boat is over powered and muscles its way to the 80's. I believe that there is more, but I seem to like earth right now more then making a trip to one of the other 2 places of after life. The boat pulls the 30 inch props like a drag car. My goal when building the boat was a 80mph stock boat that was good on gas and reliable. It is all these things and more! People ask all the time if the 16 has more with this app. at different x ect, but from my experience my perticular boat has a terminal velocity of about 75mph. After that it demands alot of respect. My thoughts to its limiting factors are the rounded keel at the transom rounded edges at the transom and lack of hull length. My x is low by about 1 inch, and does this contribute to the lack of control at 80+! Some but not as much as the shape of the short hull and rounded curves. For example craigskilling runs a 18 bh 383 with same x less power and runs strong. I am faster but cannot stay into it at the 80+ speeds for extented periods due to control issues. From what I have seen running with him, his boat will not get into the tempertantrum at the speeds I do. And his boat is fast and will get faster with some props. When I had my props built for this app. the x was taken into account and the late Dave Bostic worked some magic. At the speeds I'm running the wetted surface that the boat is running on is like a canoe bottom and the transom is creating suction from the rounded edges. As I mentioned before that I want the boat to look completly stock, no scoops, no moded back seat for the extra 1 inch raised x because of space.

craigdskilling
08-22-2011, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the kind words Norm.It was great running side by side that i have on video,I must get that up on the Reg.I agree that my 18 feels great all the way to 80 it feels solid and wants to go more just need some more prop.I have a chance to buy some 29 but i might be the raise of the X this winter so i think i might need 31.should be interesting next year.

lemshawsTaise
08-24-2011, 02:09 PM
Hello, I am new to this forum i would just like to say hi :) I shall see you all on the forum! link building service (http://www.interspiresubmit.com)

lemshawsTaise
08-24-2011, 02:16 PM
Hello, I am new to this forum i would just like to say hi :) I shall see you all on the forum! link building service (http://www.interspiresubmit.com)

lemshawsTaise
08-24-2011, 02:19 PM

younger
08-27-2011, 03:22 PM
Craig get the 31's on before the end of the season for testing and that will awnser all the questions. As far as the raised x try the props first! I say you will run low to mid 80's with the 31's. That willl be lots fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greg Guimond
08-30-2011, 05:30 PM
Nice work Younger, glad to see you still have the 16. Craig, curious about what HP do you think your running in your 18 BH ?

craigdskilling
08-31-2011, 04:35 PM
I am running a383 with 400+Hp.Stainless marine manifolds 4'' out the back.750 edelbrock carb.my tack is off a bit so i think at wide open i am spinning 5600rpm with 27 bh props at 80mlp.everything is new.boat is running great but like norm says it can be faster with some more work.

craigdskilling
08-31-2011, 07:52 PM
I need some 31bh props anyone know where to find any.before the season is over.