PDA

View Full Version : END OF AN ERA 16 and 18 CLASSICS gone in 2011

DC18
04-02-2010, 10:01 PM
:eek: Was at my local DONZI dealer today. Usually check in with them a couple of times a month to talk about boats, fun runs etc. Was told that in 2011, the 16 and 18 CLASSICS will no longer be produced! :shocking: Production figures for 2009 and 2010 were verry low. From what I was told, 2009 and 2010 boats were built on an order basis only. Their guess (not able to get any actual #'s) for 2009 18's were arround 5 or 6 and for 2010 ??? The 22 Classic I am told will still be offered, but they won't build any until they receive 10+ orders. The reason I am told is the economy and $$ to profit for the 16 and 18. I hate to see these AWSEOME boats fade away. After all, they're basically what started it all. :yes:

gcarter
04-02-2010, 10:08 PM
Never say never.
The 16's have disappeared before.

Carl C
04-03-2010, 06:50 AM
:( Bummer. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for new 22s either. Pier 57 still has an '09 and '07 in stock!

http://www.pier57.com/200922DonziRedStripe.htm

http://www.pier57.com/2007donzi22classicgrayshelby.htm

Donzi Vol
04-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Well that's awfully unfortunate. Surely they would still make one if the right person and right pocketbook ordered one.

btw, notice the battery placement in the two that Carl posted:wink:

LKSD
04-03-2010, 06:56 PM
Only time will really tell as to what will happen real world..

VetteLT193
04-05-2010, 07:35 AM
The 10+ thing is not all that logical. they could lay up a 22 (or any other boat) before or after any of their larger offerings. Parts are pretty simple on a classic so I can't see parts as an issue either.

DonziJosh
04-05-2010, 08:35 AM
Personally, I'd wait for the official announcement, but like Tom Petty said, " the waiting, is the hardest part." ;)

jl1962
04-05-2010, 08:49 AM
And when might such an announcement be made?

Cuda
04-05-2010, 09:07 AM
I don't believe it. Did he say how many orders for $500,000+ boats they had sold?

You dance with who brung ya!

RickSE
04-05-2010, 11:30 AM
I think Josh is trying to suggest something.

I agree the 10+ stuff on the 22's sounds crazy; the boats used to be hand-built one at a time from start to finish. They never used to gang them up for a bulk build. In the past when you went to the factory you'd see a lonely little Classic sitting in line between two big ZR's.

What I can believe is custom order Classics and no more "Donzi financed" dealer stock boats. You want it, you gotta order and pay for it. This was the model my dad used for his dealership. He only ordered what he thought he could sell and paid Donzi for the boats as soon as he took delivery. I suspect that dealers will still have boats available on the floor but fewer and they'll have to take the financial liability.

gcarter
04-05-2010, 01:30 PM
There have been a few instances of groups of Classics, maybe nothing recent, but it seems most of the '88 TR's were built in August of '87.
I think I could find another case or two.
It does make some sense to do so.

Thanks for the insight, Josh! :yes:

Cuda
04-05-2010, 03:11 PM
I still wanna see how many people will plunk down a half mil for a boat they can't put their hands on.

gcarter
04-05-2010, 03:14 PM
I still wanna see how many people will plunk down a half mil for a boat they can't put their hands on.
People do it w/cars frequently, and then maybe wait years for them.

Funboy
04-05-2010, 03:17 PM
I spoke with the factory recently about a new 22 and got the same story.
Will only build in batches of ten, lose $ on every boat,dealers won't inventory, building 6 figure 22's for some Oil Sheik's nephew in the Gulf.

Maybe this opens the door for an entrepreneur taking a splash and making the 22 more user friendly and less uncompromising. (Better protection from the elements, storage, sound insulation, usability or simplyfing the build process). Or perhaps recycling old hulls and updating them.

Or perhaps in the everything old ,is new again vein, it's an opportunity for the factory to reintroduce the "Classic" in a couple of seasons. Think Camaro, Charger, Challenger, Jeep, etc. Get your order in now for the 2012 GTO or Hummer for the "by popular demand" rebirth.

Still you have to wonder if the factory is on a skeleton schedule with a minimum workforce, it takes a certain amount of production to maintain forward motion and cash flow. Can you get by waiting for a grand slam and pass on the single(s). Todays 22 buyer maybe a 27 and up buyer down the road.
I rest my case.
Funboy

DonziJosh
04-05-2010, 05:37 PM
Call me direct at Donzi: 941.782.1616. I'll be happy to take your order for the Classic of your choosing! I bet we can even get you a 2011 slot. :wink:

zelatore
04-05-2010, 05:38 PM

Unfortunately, the industry is heading more and more that way. Really, there's not much choice at this point. Sure, maybe on small boats the dealer could afford to buy some inventory outright, but on anything expensive he'll need a floorplan from a lender. And there isn't any marine flooring money out there these days.

Manufacturers in my segment are looking for ways to avoid inventories. For example, Regal is only selling their big boat 'factory direct', although that is somewhat misleading. Basically, you contact a dealer who makes the arangements for you and handles the delivery of the boat but never has it in inventory. The factory pays the dealer some small percentage for his work.

Marquis Yachts is planning to lauch a handfull of 'yacht centers' around the world (1 in Europe, 1 in Asia, 4 in the US I think) where they will have many/most models on-hand for inspection and demo. Average dealers can't get any flooring for inventory but will be able to bring their clients to one of these few locations to show boats, then order something for delivery to their home market.

But I do have to agree with you - much harder to sell a boat from a picture than having it on hand!

gcarter
04-05-2010, 05:40 PM
Call me direct at Donzi: 941.782.1616. I'll be happy to take your order for the Classic of your choosing! I bet we can even get you a 2011 slot. :wink:

So guys, you heard it here!
Any questions?
I appreciate Josh hanging around and occasionally commenting.

Cuda
04-05-2010, 07:43 PM
Unfortunately, the industry is heading more and more that way. Really, there's not much choice at this point. !
Au contraire. They have the option of buying a used boat, or the option of not buying a boat at all. How many of us really "need" a boat?

Cuda
04-05-2010, 07:47 PM
People do it w/cars frequently, and then maybe wait years for them.
Cars aren't boats. A Ferrari GTO will always have a buyer. Can't say the same about a used Ford Taurus or the like.

Cuda
04-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Brown noser! :)

Carl C
04-05-2010, 08:15 PM

Yay! Good news!:cool:

The Hedgehog
04-05-2010, 09:02 PM
Any questions?

Me too.

Times change but the classic Donzi will always command respect.

I am glad that they are planning some neat stuff. I can't wait to see what comes out in the future for the custom stuff.

gcarter
04-06-2010, 05:34 AM
But I do have to agree with you - much harder to sell a boat from a picture than having it on hand!

While I agree w/your comment, the custom yacht business has been doing this for over a century.
And it could get even more disconnected where a customer would contact a Naval Architect who would do the preliminary work (or scantling drawings) and then contacts are made to potential ship yards to build.
Same way w/custom homes.

DC18
04-06-2010, 10:30 AM
Any questions?

Sent Craig an e-mail and received this reply: The order basis is what we want for Donzi forever it is part of our business plan. It works the best for us. In the last 8 months we have delivered 91 boats into clients hands....can't ask fro anything better. cb

So it looks like they will still build the Classics. :yes: This is GOOD. I don't know why my dealer said that the 16 and 18 would be discontinued for 2011. Maybe DONZI had a change of heart or changed their business plan a little. I do know that they visit this sight. :yes: Talked to Chuck Wagner, and he confirmed that are aware of THE DONZI REGISTRY, so maybe they look arround from time to time. This would also be a GOOD thing. :wink:

Cuda
04-06-2010, 10:32 AM
Yay! Good news!:cool:
Why? Do you plan on buying a new one?

Cuda
04-06-2010, 10:37 AM
I think Donzi would be foolish to discontiue the Classic line. There isn't another boat like it. If you want a reasonably fast gentelman's boat, it's a Donzi Classic or nothing. No other boat can take their place, whereas I mentioned the competetion Donzi is up against in the big boat realm, and they had a much larger head start, and name recognition.

VetteLT193
04-06-2010, 11:12 AM
Sent Craig an e-mail and received this reply: The order basis is what we want for Donzi forever it is part of our business plan. It works the best for us. In the last 8 months we have delivered 91 boats into clients hands....can't ask fro anything better. cb

So it looks like they will still build the Classics. :yes: This is GOOD. I don't know why my dealer said that the 16 and 18 would be discontinued for 2011. Maybe DONZI had a change of heart or changed their business plan a little. I do know that they visit this sight. :yes: Talked to Chuck Wagner, and he confirmed that are aware of THE DONZI REGISTRY, so maybe they look arround from time to time. This would also be a GOOD thing. :wink:

The only thing that stinks about the custom order thing is any warranty work. It isn't Donzi... it's just leaving it in the customers hands. The normal process is you buy a boat, drop it off at a dealer and asked for X, Y, Z to be fixed. Dealer works with Donzi... work gets done.

Without a dealer network the owner gets in touch with Donzi. Sends list. Then the owner gets to pick a Merc certified dealer. Owner gets a quote, sends quote to Donzi, Donzi approves, sends check, dealer does work, owner pays. Donzi is willing to work with dealers directly but I couldn't find one to take direct work... all of them had the attitude of if you are dropping the boat off for work then you get to pay. They don't want to deal with Donzi and I don't blame them.

So, Donzi isn't doing anything 'wrong' but it still sucks as an owner because the owner is the middle man. The benefits of a good dealer network -- even for only warranty work -- is priceless. I haven't seen my boat for a few weeks while dealing with very basic warranty work. absolute pain, and I think if Donzi had a vetted dealer network it wouldn't have been.

All well, other than that, all good. Love the boat and the warranty items were mostly small items because the boat is well built.

DonziJosh
04-06-2010, 11:22 AM
Me too.

Times change but the classic Donzi will always command respect.

I am glad that they are planning some neat stuff. I can't wait to see what comes out in the future for the custom stuff.

Thanks George and Hedgehog. It's a bit of a balancing act; as an enthusiast I'd like to enlighten more than the business plan sometimes allows, so it can be difficult to lurk and just watch some of the speculation, even though it's always entertaining!

It is true that the market is changing due to all sorts of factors and the company is adapting and implementing some new strategies. Still, I've always felt that if we "retired" the Classics, we'd do it with a pretty significant amount of fanfare. It would certainly be newsworthy, and might help to flush any remaining field inventory.

Besides, you can still see all the Classics on our website, and historically we've pulled off discontinued models as soon as we chose to quit offering them.

DonziJosh
04-06-2010, 11:26 AM
:yes: Talked to Chuck Wagner, and he confirmed that are aware of THE DONZI REGISTRY, so maybe they look arround from time to time. This would also be a GOOD thing. :wink:

We're aware of it! I joined Donzi in 1997 and have been looking (lurking?) around on a weekly basis since about that time.

mattyboy
04-06-2010, 11:34 AM
to me it's a good news bad news thing the good news is as a true older classic fanatic their value will increase as new production decreases or stops. the bad news wait there is bad news???? only kidding. It is good to see Donzi is making a business plan that it can keep itself a viable mfg'r. to it's employees and shareholders first and it's customers next.
your market plan needs to have a market first and I would imagine disposeble income in the market that might stop in a dealer and say wow i always wanted a donzi classic is non existant now. so if the market takes you to the bigger boats that's what you do.

wonder what this does to the mfg's that make smaller go fasts???
the superboat,sutphen,hornets of the industry. after the big fish leave the small pond some other fish becomes the new bigfish.

wish them well

long live Donzi

DonziJosh
04-06-2010, 11:41 AM
wonder what this does to the mfg's that make smaller go fasts???
the superboat,sutphen,hornets of the industry.

Had this conversation with Poodle recently. Of all the high performance enthusiasts out there, how many of them got their start in a 38', $300,000 machine? Classics haven't been "price-point" boats in about a decade, but still, there's a large hole where the "entry level" used to be. Just another sign of these interesting times in what has always been a very cyclical market!

zelatore
04-06-2010, 01:01 PM
Au contraire. They have the option of buying a used boat, or the option of not buying a boat at all. How many of us really "need" a boat?

Sorry, I meant the industry hasn't got much option. Without flooring, dealers can't shell out millions to buy inventory. At least not many dealers. Few have that kind of depth.

zelatore
04-06-2010, 01:06 PM
While I agree w/your comment, the custom yacht business has been doing this for over a century.
And it could get even more disconnected where a customer would contact a Naval Architect who would do the preliminary work (or scantling drawings) and then contacts are made to potential ship yards to build.
Same way w/custom homes.

This is true. However I'm not working at that level. I'm working in higher end production yachts. Most of our clients have some boating experience but are not ready to go the full custom route. They are accustomed to looking at inventory to make their decisions.

Of course, it is possible to change that dynamic and it may in fact have to happen. But it will be work to convince people in the $300K-$2M range that they have to order a boat when for the past 50 years or so they've been able to buy them 'off the lot'
(OK there is some exaggeration here but you get the idea)

gcarter
04-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Sorry, I meant the industry hasn't got much option. Without flooring, dealers can't shell out millions to buy inventory. At least not many dealers. Few have that kind of depth.

It's not just boat dealers, I haven't had any floor planning available for over 18 months!
The amount I used in the past was miniscule.
I drive by car dealers and wonder how they're still doing it.

Cuda
04-06-2010, 02:10 PM
I've always felt that if we "retired" the Classics, we'd do it with a pretty significant amount of fanfare. .
So would Donzi filing Chapter 7. :(

Cuda
04-06-2010, 02:13 PM
A dealer would be foolish to floorplan boats in this economy, I agree.

Cuda
04-06-2010, 02:14 PM
This is true. However I'm not working at that level. I'm working in higher end production yachts. Most of our clients have some boating experience but are not ready to go the full custom route. They are accustomed to looking at inventory to make their decisions.

Of course, it is possible to change that dynamic and it may in fact have to happen. But it will be work to convince people in the $300K-$2M range that they have to order a boat when for the past 50 years or so they've been able to buy them 'off the lot'
(OK there is some exaggeration here but you get the idea)
Again, I'd have to agree with your assesment.

Cuda
04-06-2010, 02:17 PM
It's not just boat dealers, I haven't had any floor planning available for over 18 months!
The amount I used in the past was miniscule.
I drive by car dealers and wonder how they're still doing it.
It makes me sad to drive through Orlando on a holiday, and see how many empty motel rooms are there. That's a good guage of the economy worldwide.

RickSE
04-06-2010, 03:01 PM
The only thing that stinks about the custom order thing is any warranty work...

I've gone through this several times, once with my 18 and twice with the 22SE. Direct contact with Donzi and my local shops has always worked. As you mention, you do have to front some money but it does work.

JimG205
04-06-2010, 03:30 PM
The bottom line is what does it cost Donzi to build a 16 and 18?? You need not be a rocket scientist to figure the molds have not changed drastically.So you have drivetrain,hardware,wiring,gelcoat,mat +labor.Why can't they produce an
18 in the mid to high twenty range??? These boats don't come close to the technology offered in Mastercrafts and Nautiques.My .02 cents is they have outpaced the cost factor and have grossly inflated the selling price for what it cost them to build.:eek:

mike o
04-06-2010, 04:45 PM
I had an 18' Ski Nautique 351 PCM. 15K new. In......................................... 1979 :kingme:

rustnrot
04-06-2010, 06:17 PM
The bottom line is what does it cost Donzi to build a 16 and 18?? You need not be a rocket scientist to figure the molds have not changed drastically.So you have drivetrain,hardware,wiring,gelcoat,mat +labor.Why can't they produce an
18 in the mid to high twenty range??? These boats don't come close to the technology offered in Mastercrafts and Nautiques.My .02 cents is they have outpaced the cost factor and have grossly inflated the selling price for what it cost them to build.:eek:

Totally agree. I've been to this fellow's facility a couple of times. A new ski boat for $30k.

http://www.standardboats.com/ (http://standardboats.com/)

mattyboy
04-07-2010, 07:02 AM
it may be profitible for one guy to turn out a few boats for 30k a year and make a living but donzi's over head won't support that.

perhaps the classics should be spun off into a smaller overhead profit center.

VetteLT193
04-07-2010, 07:45 AM
I've gone through this several times, once with my 18 and twice with the 22SE. Direct contact with Donzi and my local shops has always worked. As you mention, you do have to front some money but it does work.

My area sucks for performance stuff so that is the biggest issue. I tried taking the boat back to Donzi but they didn't want that.

That's why I said it is not really Donzi's problem per say. They are fine, but finding a dealer that can work on their stuff is a problem for me personally.

Next time I'm taking it to Destin or Jacksonville to a bigger dealer.

RickSE
04-07-2010, 11:42 AM
My area sucks for performance stuff so that is the biggest issue. I tried taking the boat back to Donzi but they didn't want that...

Yeah that sucks. When I took mine back a few years ago they were setting up the Race/Performance Shop for stuff like this but it probably got chopped when the po-po hit the fan. I really didn't want to take mine into a local shop on the second issue but then again I didn't want to haul it all the way back to FL from AZ again. The clincher for me was when I found out the guy that owns the shop used to own Wa Lo's 18.

Last Tango
04-07-2010, 09:28 PM
My area sucks for performance...

Uh, don't bring it here. We haven't had a Donzi dealer in Jax for over 2 years. There is, or at least was, a Donzi franchisee in St. Augustine, but I have never been there.
Be patient, though. In the past 11 years, the "local" Donzi dealer has changed hands 4 times to different folks. When I bought my '99 and '01 new, the dealer was literally within a five minute walk from my house. Very convenient.
Then it moved to new set of folks in St. Augustine. They tried a "local" shop but it folded in less than a year. Then the whole St. Augustine group folded. Then it came back to a solid dealer here in Jax and I bought my '06 new from them. But after 2 years they stopped working with Donzi and the franchise moved back to a different dealer in St. Augustine. Don't know if they are still in business or working with Donzi anymore. Haven't seen or heard a peep out of them in quite a while.

Despite a good number of performance boats in the Jax area, there is no single spot for performance boaters to go that supports them. Now if you have a 23ZF with twin outboards, then you have plenty of folks to work with.

Last Tango
04-07-2010, 09:38 PM
Donzi would be happy to build all the new Classics you want. But as long as you keep buying and restoring older boats, then you are part of the problem, not the solution.

yeller
04-07-2010, 09:51 PM
Donzi would be happy to build all the new Classics you want. But as long as you keep buying and restoring older boats, then you are part of the problem, not the solution.
Sorry, but have to disagree. I know what you're implying, but if no one bought used Donzi's, then no one would want to buy a new one.

LuauLounge
04-07-2010, 10:31 PM
Donzi's have never been an inexpensive ride. If you look at the price lists in the late 60's and 70's for the classics, they were on the par with fully loaded Buick Rivieras, which placed them well above the means of a middle class family, at the time.
If you look at who is buying the "premium" brand companies, Indian Motorcycles, Chris Craft, Donzi, etc, etc. There is a huge value in these names. Fortunately, at this point, the people who are buying these companies believe that the name needs to be backed with a quality product.
I have admired Donzis since the 70's, along with all of my boating buddies, and Donzis are not that plentiful on the Left Coast.

The overall economy will dictate how many new boats are sold. My generation writes checks for toys. Unfortunately, I am not writing checks for new toys right now.

tmh
04-08-2010, 06:38 AM
There's a Donzi dealer in Srasota and Ft Myers but I have never used them.
T.M. Hayes

mattyboy
04-08-2010, 07:42 AM

???????????

The Lake George Donzi Classic Club proudly part of the problem since 1995

hey somebody better call Barrett Jackson and tell them that are singlehandly killing the auto industry

mc donzi
04-08-2010, 08:09 AM
About a year ago(on a Friday afternoon) I was staying in the Sarasota area and wanted to buy a Donzi flag for the end of my dock before returning home to Canada. I went to the factory and it was like a ghost town. I finally located the guy that was in charge but he wouldn't sell direct to me.. had to go through a dealer.

Went to Ericcson Marine on US41 in Sarasota and spoke with a guy named Bill(Ithink). He said that he could have one for me on Monday. That wasn't good enough as I was leaving for home the following day(Saturday). This was at about 3:00 PM on Friday. Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow. He left the showroom, drove to the factory and by 4:00 PM I had my flag.

Speaks volumes for excellent customer service!!

Cuda
04-08-2010, 08:12 AM
it may be profitible for one guy to turn out a few boats for 30k a year and make a living but donzi's over head won't support that.

perhaps the classics should be spun off into a smaller overhead profit center.
Perhaps Donzi should cut their overhead.

Cuda
04-08-2010, 08:15 AM
My area sucks for performance stuff so that is the biggest issue. I tried taking the boat back to Donzi but they didn't want that.
That's why I said it is not really Donzi's problem per say. They are fine, but finding a dealer that can work on their stuff is a problem for me personally.
I don't see Destin having a large performance boat yard. Sarasota should have been your best bet.

Cuda
04-08-2010, 08:19 AM
Uh, don't bring it here. We haven't had a Donzi dealer in Jax for over 2 years. There is, or at least was, a Donzi franchisee in St. Augustine, but I have never been there.
Be patient, though. In the past 11 years, the "local" Donzi dealer has changed hands 4 times to different folks. When I bought my '99 and '01 new, the dealer was literally within a five minute walk from my house. Very convenient.
Then it moved to new set of folks in St. Augustine. They tried a "local" shop but it folded in less than a year. Then the whole St. Augustine group folded. Then it came back to a solid dealer here in Jax and I bought my '06 new from them. But after 2 years they stopped working with Donzi and the franchise moved back to a different dealer in St. Augustine. Don't know if they are still in business or working with Donzi anymore. Haven't seen or heard a peep out of them in quite a while.
Despite a good number of performance boats in the Jax area, there is no single spot for performance boaters to go that supports them. Now if you have a 23ZF with twin outboards, then you have plenty of folks to work with.
Eerything on the east coast of Florida is more in tune with fishboats. The west coast of Florida is more performance oriented, and I've lived on both coasts.

Cuda
04-08-2010, 08:22 AM

In this economy many of us don't have deep enough pockets to order a new Classic.

Are your pockets that deep, or are you part of the problem? :rolleyes:

Cuda
04-08-2010, 08:25 AM
About a year ago(on a Friday afternoon) I was staying in the Sarasota area and wanted to buy a Donzi flag for the end of my dock before returning home to Canada. I went to the factory and it was like a ghost town. I finally located the guy that was in charge but he wouldn't sell direct to me.. had to go through a dealer.

Went to Ericcson Marine on US41 in Sarasota and spoke with a guy named Bill(Ithink). He said that he could have one for me on Monday. That wasn't good enough as I was leaving for home the following day(Saturday). This was at about 3:00 PM on Friday. Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow. He left the showroom, drove to the factory and by 4:00 PM I had my flag.

That's the kind of dealer that I would want to deal with!:shades:

mike o
04-08-2010, 09:54 AM
???????????

The Lake George Donzi Classic Club proudly part of the problem since 1995

hey somebody better call Barrett Jackson and tell them that are singlehandly killing the auto industryExactly, Demand drives any "market". The more Classics on the water, old or new, creates more demand.:wink: Hey Josh, thanks for dropping by.:wink:

CHACHI
04-08-2010, 02:21 PM

Pushy Canadian :wink:

Ken

mc donzi
04-09-2010, 07:48 AM
Pushy Canadain :wink:

Ken

EH??:angel:

Ed Donnelly
04-09-2010, 08:06 AM
Ah Ken; That should be CANADIAN... "I" before "A" except if you sleigh..Ed

CHACHI
04-09-2010, 10:40 AM
My fat fingers........fixed.

Ken

Last Tango
04-09-2010, 01:01 PM
In this economy many of us don't have deep enough pockets to order a new Classic.
Are your pockets that deep, or are you part of the problem? :rolleyes:

CUDA,
I guess I'm part of the problem since I don't need another new Classic and my 22ZX, purchased new from a Donzi dealer in '06, still smells new.
And you reiterate the point made earlier by someone else that only deep pockets are still buying new boats. So how many deep pockets are buying Classics vs ZR's?
I loved my '99 C16, my '01 C18, and my 2000 Z3250 Daytona. And I REALLY love my 22ZX which is perfect for my current needs. All purchased brand new from a Donzi dealer. If I felt the need to buy another new one it would probably be a 27ZR, if they still make those.

I think I've done my share in the last 11 years to directly benefit the business plan at Donzi.

Cuda
04-09-2010, 05:36 PM
CUDA,
I guess I'm part of the problem since I don't need another new Classic and my 22ZX, purchased new from a Donzi dealer in '06, still smells new.
And you reiterate the point made earlier by someone else that only deep pockets are still buying new boats. So how many deep pockets are buying Classics vs ZR's?
I loved my '99 C16, my '01 C18, and my 2000 Z3250 Daytona. And I REALLY love my 22ZX which is perfect for my current needs. All purchased brand new from a Donzi dealer. If I felt the need to buy another new one it would probably be a 27ZR, if they still make those.
I think I've done my share in the last 11 years to directly benefit the business plan at Donzi.
Yeah, and I owned eight boats at once three years ago. Sold the last one yesterday.

It's the same old story: What have you done for me lately. I know you were wanting to sell your Zx and your Jeep, that leads me to believe you don't plan on running out and plunking down $60k for a boat that isn't built yet, but thanks for the history lesson.

Last Tango
04-09-2010, 07:23 PM
Well, I never really NEEDED to sell the 22ZX. I just needed to sell one of the three toys in my driveway in order to meet my financial goals for my retirement, which was this past December. When I had that original discussion on this board late last summer it was just to get a feel for what the market may be for the 22ZX. However, I never really wanted the 22ZX to be the item to go. And I didn't ever take it to step one to advertise it.

So I struck a mental and financial compromise. I put the 22ZX in dry storage at a waterfront marina a few blocks from my house. I can literally walk to it in just a few minutes, and do quite frequently when I need a quick boating fix on the St. Johns River. I took the trailer to a buddy who does maintenance on boat and car trailers and had it completely done up with new pads on the 4 disc brakes, fresh fluid in the brake lines, and had all the bearings serviced and repacked. It now sits quietly in my yard where the boat once was parked on it.
Then I sold the JEEP.
Problem solved.

Which explains why you haven't seen me participating in the Donzi events posts since last September when the boat was transferred from the trailer to the dry stack. I have a friend with a more than capable SUV, who is willing to tow the boat anywhere I need it to go. I just haven't wanted to abuse his generosity until I really need it.

And the dry stack is more than big enough and protected enough to accommodate a brand new 27ZR if I think I need to do that some day. (Note: This last statement is to tie this post into the thread so someone doesn't accuse me of highjacking the thread! LOL!)

Last Tango
04-09-2010, 07:34 PM
Since DonziJosh has confirmed for us that the C16 and C18 are not dead, I cannot help myself but to quote from Mark Twain on this topic, "The reports of my death have been greatly exagerated."

Cuda
04-10-2010, 12:08 PM
Well, I never really NEEDED to sell the 22ZX. I just needed to sell one of the three toys in my driveway in order to meet my financial goals for my retirement, which was this past December. When I had that original discussion on this board late last summer it was just to get a feel for what the market may be for the 22ZX. However, I never really wanted the 22ZX to be the item to go. And I didn't ever take it to step one to advertise it.
So I struck a mental and financial compromise. I put the 22ZX in dry storage at a waterfront marina a few blocks from my house. I can literally walk to it in just a few minutes, and do quite frequently when I need a quick boating fix on the St. Johns River. I took the trailer to a buddy who does maintenance on boat and car trailers and had it completely done up with new pads on the 4 disc brakes, fresh fluid in the brake lines, and had all the bearings serviced and repacked. It now sits quietly in my yard where the boat once was parked on it.
Then I sold the JEEP.
Problem solved.
Which explains why you haven't seen me participating in the Donzi events posts since last September when the boat was transferred from the trailer to the dry stack. I have a friend with a more than capable SUV, who is willing to tow the boat anywhere I need it to go. I just haven't wanted to abuse his generosity until I really need it.
And the dry stack is more than big enough and protected enough to accommodate a brand new 27ZR if I think I need to do that some day. (Note: This last statement is to tie this post into the thread so someone doesn't accuse me of highjacking the thread! LOL!)
Selling the Jeep make no sense, unless you were upside down on it. I imagine the storage fees will eat up any savings you were going to realize from driving a jeep. I drive a 1999 Ford F 250 with 268,000 miles on it, not because it was what I want, but because it's what I can afford. The past couple of years I've sold eight boats, three motorcycles, and two four wheelers. None of those sales figured into my retirement plan, but I figured I'd rather eat.

Most people on this site own older Donzi's, and saying people that fix up old Donzi's is part of the problem is just foolish.

It's like walking into a crowded firehouse and yelling "Movie".

mike o
04-10-2010, 12:17 PM

Then I sold the JEEP.
Problem solved.

And the dry stack is more than big enough and protected enough to accommodate a brand new 27ZR if I think I need to do that some day. (Note: This last statement is to tie this post into the thread so someone doesn't accuse me of highjacking the thread! LOL!)Since you have bought so many new Donzi's .... :yes: You have Diplomatic "high jacking" Immunity on this thread.:kingme::kingme::kingme:

Last Tango
04-10-2010, 02:16 PM
Selling the Jeep make no sense.

I guess that is the difference between you selling 8 boats, three motorcycles, and two ATV's in order to keep food on your table, and me selling one 5 year old Jeep in order to travel the world with my wife during our retirement years, and still keep my Donzi, my Porsche, and my wifes car...

And I am ALL ABOUT restoring old cars and old boats. But if you haven't bought a new Donzi Classic in the past decade, then it is hard for me to understand why you even care if Donzi stops making them for a while. When folks start wanting new ones, they will make them. If there is no market, then I can understand. Your nostalgia doesn't pay the bills at the factory.

yeller
04-10-2010, 05:21 PM
But if you haven't bought a new Donzi Classic in the past decade, then it is hard for me to understand why you even care if Donzi stops making them for a while.
OK, that just doesn't make sense. Based on your philosophy, there are probably only 3~4 people on this website that are allowed to care. Even the Harbormaster isn't allowed to care.

You bought a new out-of-production boat from a dealer. How did that help the factory? The dealer had already bought the boat, so in essence; you're a second owner.

So...only people that bought a new boat, direct from the factory should be allowed to care whether Donzi even survives or not. I can't accept that.

Why not take that to everything:
Never bought a new Chevy. So I'm not allowed to care if they survive?
Never bought a new house in Florida. So I'm not allowed to be sympathetic to those who are hurting by the downturn in the economy?
Never met so-and-so. So I'm not allowed to feel bad they passed away?

Come on. You can't bash someone about caring about the Classic just because they didn't buy one brand new.

Cuda
04-10-2010, 06:27 PM
I guess that is the difference between you selling 8 boats, three motorcycles, and two ATV's in order to keep food on your table, and me selling one 5 year old Jeep in order to travel the world with my wife during our retirement years, and still keep my Donzi, my Porsche, and my wifes car...
And I am ALL ABOUT restoring old cars and old boats. But if you haven't bought a new Donzi Classic in the past decade, then it is hard for me to understand why you even care if Donzi stops making them for a while. When folks start wanting new ones, they will make them. If there is no market, then I can understand. Your nostalgia doesn't pay the bills at the factory.
I've never bought a new boat, other than my fishboat in 1988.
How much did you net for your trip around the world by selling a 5 year old jeep?
How old is your Porche? I'm sure you would had netted more from the sale of the Porche.

The folks at Donzi don't care about my bills, so why should I worry about their's? If you can't make a living building Donzi's, they should try something else. Don't misunderstand me, I loved both of my Donzi's. I paid $5400 for the Minx, and $9,000 for the 22. I didn't feel the need to send the poor people at Donzi a check for the privilige of owning one.

mattyboy
04-11-2010, 07:29 AM
yes of course everyone needs to go out and buy a new classic every 5 years that will get things going ??????

and also at any of our LGDCC events this year there will be no putting ketchup on a hot dog I don't care if it is a fenway frank um there will be no steaks either LMAO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q24mfUn9HFU

gcarter
04-11-2010, 10:13 AM
[quote=mattyboy;561222]and also at any of our LGDCC events this year there will be no putting ketchup on a hot dog I don't care if it is a fenway frank um there will be no steaks either LMAO[quote]

Ketchup on hot dogs!!!????
Wow, who uses ketchup at all?
What a waste of time!
Hot sauce or nothing!

Oh!
I forgot, you guys are from New England.......
Nevermind!

mattyboy
04-11-2010, 10:22 AM
no ketchup on a hotdog here in ny maybe a little kraut or onions in red sauce with brown spicy deli mustard no yellow mustard or dijon here

ketchup is for burgers

the red sox fans and winnie guys put ketchup on their fenway franks

i agree with dirty harry,

was more an analogy of how not putting mustard on a hotdog would ruin the entire mustard industry, NOT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5JIpT4GkyM

gcarter
04-11-2010, 10:31 AM
i agree with dirty harry,

was more an analogy of how not putting mustard on a hotdog would ruin the entire mustard industry, NOT

LOL!
I'd forgotten that line.
Elaine's dad was from upstate NY. She has a few New England types of food preferences.
I'd never in my entire life had ketchup on a burger until visiting Manhaten once when I was about 20. It seemed like a cost cutting measure to me.
No tomatoes/ketchup in its place.
I guess it goes deeper than that.

Things are/were different in Texas.
Mind you, I'd never had pizza until I was about 18...was totally unavailable in Houston at that time.

mike o
04-11-2010, 10:53 AM
George, dont listen to Matt. The only person who puts ketch-up on a Fenway Frank at Fenway Park is JOHN KERRY.....:kingme:

CHACHI
04-11-2010, 02:19 PM
George, dont listen to Matt. The only person who puts ketch-up on a Fenway Frank at Fenway Park is JOHN KERRY.....:kingme:

I would think John puts ketchup, (NOT catsup) on EVERYTHING.

Yeah, NE born and raised.

Hell, in some circles up here, ketchup is it own food group.

Ken

Ed Donnelly
04-11-2010, 05:55 PM
I see nobody here knows what to put on a hot dog

A1 sauce................................A1 sauce...............................Ed

thehow33
04-11-2010, 08:20 PM
how about some skyline chili, onions, and shredded cheese!

BUIZILLA
04-11-2010, 08:26 PM
1st priority

must be all beef...

saurkraut..

oh yeah, and mustard..

Plochman's mustard...

yeller
04-11-2010, 08:37 PM
OK, I've seen a lot of threads go sideways on this site.........but from factory production talk to.....hot dogs....:bonk: :biggrin.:

+1 on the saurkraut

CHACHI
04-12-2010, 06:19 AM
I case you haven't noticed, we are quite flexible on this site.

Ken

Cuda
04-12-2010, 06:52 AM
yes of course everyone needs to go out and buy a new classic every 5 years that will get things going ??????

and also at any of our LGDCC events this year there will be no putting ketchup on a hot dog I don't care if it is a fenway frank um there will be no steaks either LMAO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q24mfUn9HFU
In one of the Dirty Harry movies, Clint says he can stand all the murders and rapes he sees, but he said what really makes him sick to his stomach is seeing someone put ketchup on a hot dog. LOL

Cuda
04-12-2010, 07:00 AM
Sorry Matty, I see you already caught the Dirty Harry outrage about ketchup on a hotdog.

Personally, I eat hotdogs cooked in Bush's Bake Beans. I call it "camp grub", since I ate it a lot when hunting. :

mike o
04-12-2010, 10:51 AM
I case you haven't noticed, we are quite flexible on this site.

KenYep, while waiting for Josh's next update.:kingme:

gcarter
04-12-2010, 11:09 AM
As far as beans go, I always liked Ranch Style.

DonziJosh
04-12-2010, 11:12 AM
Yep, while waiting for Josh's next update.:kingme:

Me?! Oh I've been following along, but I guess I'm just pretty much emotionally detached when it comes to ketchup! :wink:

gcarter
04-12-2010, 11:14 AM
Yeah, NE born and raised.

Hell, in some circles up here, ketchup is it own food group.

Ken

'Cause you guys don't have the stomach for anything stronger!