PDA

View Full Version : Who knows more about Merc 1300??

gcarter
04-01-2010, 07:49 PM
http://www.boatsplus.com.au/index.php?_a=viewPDF&productId=2752

I have a hard time believing that Merc financed the whole cost of this engine.
It's got to be purchased from someone else......
Maybe Mercedes?
Pretty exotic stuff and about $150 K w/tranny and drive.
Who has some answers

mrfixxall
04-01-2010, 08:04 PM
i know nothing! :) here's spme better pic's and info george..

http://www.mercuryracing.com/1300/faster/

552 cid with dohc and twin turbos!

the way they discribe the bore coating seems like its a alunimum block too..

gcarter
04-01-2010, 08:22 PM
I think Mercedes.
Just a guess, but there's no way Merc could come up w/$500 Million or so to develop something like this for a couple of hundered copies/year.

Greg Guimond
04-01-2010, 09:42 PM
If you think AMG and some of the cross branding that has gone on, I could see it.

Pismo
04-02-2010, 06:02 AM
I heard somewhere the Porsche guy who did the Verado was involved.

VetteLT193
04-02-2010, 07:38 AM
rumor has it that Fred Kiekhaefer financed it himself. Brunswick wanted to drop the program but he kept it alive.

Other rumors say it can be ramped up to 1600 safely. I guess time will tell.

gcarter
04-02-2010, 07:51 PM
Again, I'd like to repeat that I know only what you can read here about this new engine.
But the existance of this bruiser is, I suspect, a really big deal.
So why would Merc invest this much money into such a far reaching project?
If it were the fact that GM is no longer building BBC engines isn't strong enough reason, INHO, because all the neccessary parts are available from other suppliers. Or Merc could have the parts made themsselves.

OTOH, if it were the demise of the long lived BBC, Merc may have been thinking It's time to completely reinvent the wheel.....no more iron blocks and heads, no more push rods and two valve combustion chambers. Developing the engine to the extent necessary to have a reliable racing engine would give a lot of real world experience in a short time, and the price of a racing engine, particularly if it's successful, could pay back the development costs in a relatively short time. Also, it would allow manufacturing to ramp up slowly to work out any kinks in the assembly and parts process.
Just maybe the long term goal is a NA version, maybe in a slightly smaller displacement, with variable cam timing, about 600 HP, and phenominal fuel efficiency. Something you could order in a new Donzi!:yes:

Anyone else have any ideas?

BUIZILLA
04-02-2010, 08:39 PM
i'm trying to figure out how they got EPA compliant without convertor traps...

this air pump in NA 89 octane form and 9-1 c/r could be a trand setter in midrange boating where diesels are already tooo expensive.. and the M8 wouldn't be required....

they are boasting 20-30% better fuel economy, and at 552 inches that's no small claim to make... a 4 valve 552 that has the same burn rate as a 2 valve 454...

if Merc offers this and a NA version it will catapult them back into front runner pioneer status

this is really industry breakthrough technology, but they seem to be playing down the significance of their accomplishments...

and their boast of 12 month warranty implies they are extremely confident...

MR MAGOO
04-03-2010, 08:45 AM
I too questioned if Merc really was at the helm of this project. If anyone here remembers the "Millenium Engine" that was in development back in '98-'99, it was essentially the same design, double overhead cams, twin turbo's etc. All the money had been spent, the R&D was in gear and then it was shelved...

This "new" Merc 1300 looks very similar to the Millenium. I had asked several in the know people while in Miami but could not get a straight answer out of anyone.

We were told 209k retail for the complete engine/drive package.

Kurt

Sweet Cheekz
04-03-2010, 04:18 PM
Tommy Hofsteter from Cheif Engines told me he did the math at the Miami Boat Show, he knows a lot about turbos, and feels Merc has run this thing on the dyno at 2000hp. :eek:
It is an all aluminum block

Parnell

yeller
04-04-2010, 01:45 PM
I don't follow Merc's offerings much. Is that an all new drive? It's surface piercing.

The Hedgehog
04-04-2010, 09:32 PM
That is pretty impressive. I could see it happening. Sounds very expensive.

I have seen 1,300 on a dyno with 93 and a 598CID 5 litre whipple package. That setup had more to go. Not much more but more.

Optimized with Turbo and four valves. Wow.

zelatore
04-05-2010, 02:38 PM
i'm trying to figure out how they got EPA compliant without convertor traps...

this air pump in NA 89 octane form and 9-1 c/r could be a trand setter in midrange boating where diesels are already tooo expensive.. and the M8 wouldn't be required....

they are boasting 20-30% better fuel economy, and at 552 inches that's no small claim to make... a 4 valve 552 that has the same burn rate as a 2 valve 454...

if Merc offers this and a NA version it will catapult them back into front runner pioneer status

this is really industry breakthrough technology, but they seem to be playing down the significance of their accomplishments...

and their boast of 12 month warranty implies they are extremely confident...

I think you hit the nail on the head here. How exactly are they getting past the CARB and EPA requirements? Is the motor available for sale in CA? With no converter? If so, I would think a lot of guys from Crusader and Volvo would be looking at this thing pretty hard to see exactly what they are doing.

gcarter
04-05-2010, 02:47 PM
Hey guys, are marine racing engines exempt like other racing engines?

Pismo
04-05-2010, 03:31 PM
Hey guys, are marine racing engines exempt like other racing engines?

I think you are right, merc racing engines are exempt as long as they make fewer than a certain number per year.

gcarter
07-09-2010, 01:42 PM
From todays Soundings Trade Only.

Testing continues on Mercury Racing engine
Posted on July 09, 2010
ShareThis
Refinement continues on the Quad Cam 4-valve engine platform at Mercury Racing, the company said.

Mercury has been doing dynamometer and in-boat endurance testing since the engine was introduced at the 2010 Miami International Boat Show. The development team also has been refining calibration of the engine and Digital Zero Effort controls - both in Mercury Racing's test boats and in the 46 Cigarette.

Development remains on schedule and production of the 1,350-hp QC4v will begin this month, as announced in February.

Shipments of the 1,350-hp engines, M8 drives and Digital Zero Effort controls will begin in August. The first pair will go into the AMG Cigarette, replacing the production validation test hardware now installed.

The company said production of the engine and M8 drive is sold out into March 2011.

Mercury Racing is a division of Mercury Marine, which is based in Fond du Lac, Wis.

Note.....
Ya notice it doesn't give a single clue how many we're talking about.
It could be as few as several per month.
If I were Merc. that's probably what I'd do.
After all, they're racing engines.

Pismo
07-09-2010, 02:34 PM
Like they detuned a 525/502 to get the new 430HO/502, it would be nice to see them produce this in a lower end, NA version. Maybe a new 650HP. What drive tho?

gcarter
07-09-2010, 05:10 PM
Some new pictures w/a little more detail;

http://www.mercuryracing.com/1300/gallery/

The third picture is pretty revealing.

DonziJon
07-09-2010, 06:25 PM
Funny:.... I thought Cleavers were 20+ year OLD technology. Maybe NOT. Maybe it's like your Kitchen. If you wait long enough, the style will come back. My kitchen was Cool in 1973. It's still fine with me but then again I don't change like a camelion every time some.....Artistic person tells me I need to Conform or I won't be COOL anymore. :bonk: :bonk: :yes:

Sorry George..I got off topic..:shocking:

andyho
07-11-2010, 01:05 AM
Hi

My guess is that an outside firm with vast experience in V8/ turbo bulding came in such as Yamaha, cosworth or saab people. Usally the germans dont like turbos they go for compressors.

I heard from a guy in sweden that Saab turbo people had been sent to Merc racing for a couple of years. The chllange had been getting the cooling right.

Pismo
07-11-2010, 06:45 AM
Hi

My guess is that an outside firm with vast experience in V8/ turbo bulding came in such as Yamaha, cosworth or saab people. Usally the germans dont like turbos they go for compressors.

I heard from a guy in sweden that Saab turbo people had been sent to Merc racing for a couple of years. The chllange had been getting the cooling right.

The plumbing has always been a problem but turbos are perfect for boats otherwise.

Such a total break for Merc racing. Entirely different.

Could I fit one in my 22???

BUIZILLA
07-11-2010, 06:52 AM
weight?

gcarter
07-11-2010, 07:08 AM
Crankshaft-rated Horsepower1300 (969 kW)
ambient air induction1350 (1006 KW)
direct air
Full Throttle RPM Ranqe6000-6500
Displacement Liter/CID9.0/552
Bore (in/mm)4.57/116Stroke (in/mm)4.21/107
Compression Ratio7.8:1
CylindersV-8
Alternator (amp/watt)105/1481
ControllerPCM distributorless
Fuel SystemSequential Fuel Injection
Fuel Requirements91 posted octane (R+M)/2 (98 RON) international
TransmissionMercury Racinq dry-sump hydraulicDrive UnitDry-sump M8
Gear RatioApplication dependent (contact Mercury Racing
for additional information)
Length (in/mm)26.69/678 (from back of block)Width (in/mm)34/864Heiqht (in/mm)29/737 (from crankshaft centerline)
Weight (lbs/kg)1720/782Warranty
1-year limited for recreational boating

http://www.mercuryracing.com/1300/specs/

gcarter
07-11-2010, 07:25 AM
I'm wondering if Weisman designed the new drive??????
http://www.weismann.net/

They're a tight lipped bunch....you'd never know.