PDA

View Full Version : Alpha 2 reseal

tmh
03-30-2010, 07:03 PM
The 2003 18c with an Alpha gen 2 uses a pint plus of gear lube each time I use the boat for a day. The lower unit was aligned and pressure tested shortly before I bought the boat last August. I assume I have a bad seal somewhere and is this a repair whereby the leaking seal is replaced or should I consider having numerous seals replaced? What should I expect to pay on average for something like this?
T.M. Hayes

mrfixxall
03-30-2010, 07:30 PM
The 2003 18c with an Alpha gen 2 uses a pint plus of gear lube each time I use the boat for a day. The lower unit was aligned and pressure tested shortly before I bought the boat last August. I assume I have a bad seal somewhere and is this a repair whereby the leaking seal is replaced or should I consider having numerous seals replaced? What should I expect to pay on average for something like this?
T.M. Hayes

Can you see where it's leaking from? Look under the engine if you cant see it leaking out side the boat..if its leaking inside the boat then either your hose came off the resivoir,the resivour is cracked or the input shaft seal is leaking..

VetteLT193
03-31-2010, 07:13 AM
is the oil milky? have you changed it recently?

tmh
03-31-2010, 07:35 AM
Ther is no sign of where the gear lube goes and I'm fairly certain it is going in the water. The oil is uncontaminated and pristine.
T.M. Hayes

VetteLT193
03-31-2010, 07:48 AM
I haven't personally seen an external leak without water intrusion... but it has to be more likely with the reservoir.

A couple of common spots for leaks are the drain and vent plugs. either the O rings are missing or there are 2 of them.

I don't know if Gen II has it or not, but there is a little BS O ring on one side between the upper and lower that has to be in place on the gen 1. it's where the oil connects upper/lower. the thing is tiny and easy to mess up the alignment.

mrfixxall
03-31-2010, 11:36 AM
I haven't personally seen an external leak without water intrusion... but it has to be more likely with the reservoir.

A couple of common spots for leaks are the drain and vent plugs. either the O rings are missing or there are 2 of them.

I don't know if Gen II has it or not, but there is a little BS O ring on one side between the upper and lower that has to be in place on the gen 1. it's where the oil connects upper/lower. the thing is tiny and easy to mess up the alignment.

its called a quad ring :)

look in the bilage or it may be leaking in the ujoint bellow..