PDA

View Full Version : New House and Shop

fogducker III
03-30-2010, 12:33 PM
So Jacqui and I finally bit the bullet and bought a new house, our first together. It is just a small 3 bedroom rancher on just over 1/2 acre in a very quiet farming area on the south tip of Vancouver Island, we take possession on Thursday...:eek:

I was hesitant to buy because there is no garage or workshop for the boat or toys.......but we got it for a great price and I realized with the "extra" money I can build a custom workshop and garage...:yes:

Wood etc arrives late Thursday, excavation starts on Friday, foundation forming on Monday and hopefully cement poured on Tuesday and then the fun begins......it will be 20' x 35' and 10' ceiling, the boat should fit nicely. I have rounded up all the lighting and a big ass wood stove, just need to find a 14' x 7' bay door...:confused:

The pic is where the shop is going, I will update my progress.

PS. The local boat ramp is 5 minutes away and FREE....:wink:

Ghost
03-30-2010, 12:42 PM
Congrats, that sounds great! More pics, more pics...

Mike

yeller
03-30-2010, 12:48 PM
20x35, are you sure that will be big enough? My boat will take up half of that. Will that still leave enough room for you? :wink:

fogducker III
03-30-2010, 12:55 PM
20x35, are you sure that will be big enough? My boat will take up half of that. Will that still leave enough room for you? :wink:

More than enough room, our trailers are 8'6" wide and 25' long, so there is enough room for both plus the wood stove and a beer fridge, what more could a guy want?:)

fogducker III
03-30-2010, 12:57 PM
Congrats, that sounds great! More pics, more pics...

Mike

Thanks Mike, we are stoked about the move and I will record the progress of the shop. We even have a chicken coup!!!

mrfixxall
03-30-2010, 12:58 PM
So Jacqui and I finally bit the bullet and bought a new house, our first together. It is just a small 3 bedroom rancher on just over 1/2 acre in a very quiet farming area on the south tip of Vancouver Island, we take possession on Thursday...:eek:

I was hesitant to buy because there is no garage or workshop for the boat or toys.......but we got it for a great price and I realized with the "extra" money I can build a custom workshop and garage...:yes:

Wood etc arrives late Thursday, excavation starts on Friday, foundation forming on Monday and hopefully cement poured on Tuesday and then the fun begins......it will be 20' x 35' and 10' ceiling, the boat should fit nicely. I have rounded up all the lighting and a big ass wood stove, just need to find a 14' x 7' bay door...:confused:

The pic is where the shop is going, I will update my progress.

PS. The local boat ramp is 5 minutes away and FREE....:wink:

Boy she is really pissed now! she said where's the effin child support check !!!
your kid sure are getting hungry :)

google 14x7 roll up garage door and you will find what you need..

fogducker III
03-30-2010, 01:05 PM
Boy she is really pissed now! she said where's the effin child support check !!!
your kid sure are getting hungry :)

google 14x7 roll up garage door and you will find what you need..

The "title" isn't in my name.........:wink:

I can not afford a new fancy door, just looking locally for a decent used one, something will turn up.......:crossfing:

mike o
03-30-2010, 01:39 PM
On the new LOVE nest............:kingme:

zelatore
03-30-2010, 01:48 PM
Excellent! Nothing like having a proper shop instead of some half-assed excuse for a 'garage' most homes have.

Of course, I'm sure you realize that it doesn't matter how big you build it, you'll always want a little more in a year or so.

When it comes to shops, bigger is always better!

zelatore
03-30-2010, 01:51 PM
BTW, where are you on the island? Out near Sook maybe? I remember there are some facilites in that area from my trip planning for our cruise up there last year.

realbold
03-30-2010, 02:07 PM
That's what I need. Congrats.
If it were mine though, I'd go for a 8' H door, because you never know.:wink:

fogducker III
03-30-2010, 03:27 PM
Thanks to all for the replys. I agree that no matter how big it is built I will someday want more room, at least this will get me by for a while.........:wink:

The area we are moving to is Cowichan Station, not that far from Sooke and just south of Duncan.

I actually had to go out and buy a ride on mower........:eek:

I got it along with some lights and the wood stove off a local used items for sale site......the wood stove was $200 with ALL the lengths of insulated stainless pipe and I got seven LARGE lights for $50 and sold two for $50 so the other five were basically free........:yes:

zelatore
03-30-2010, 07:16 PM
Sweet deal on those lights. Never underestimate the value of good lighting in a shop - a couple of 4' fluorescents just don't cut it!

Of course, now that you've got a stove for the shop, you need to clear space for a log splitter...Some days I just decide it's better to be cold than split more wood.:wink:

zelatore
03-30-2010, 07:23 PM
The area we are moving to is Cowichan Station, not that far from Sooke and just south of Duncan.

I know where that is. Just this weekend I was going through my fuel recipts from last year and found one for Cowican Bay Marina.

Nice area. I could live there. :yes:

Bamboo Loui
03-30-2010, 07:39 PM
Hey Fog-- I'm just an old guy-- but my barn is 25 x40-- and it is too small. I have the 22, 2 atvs, storage racks, 1 snowmobile, three Honda CTs, my tools, a few TVs, a couple of work benches and an TV trailer-- NO ROOM! send you pictures if you like.

No matter what you do -- have fun and congrats on the house:wink:

McGary911
03-30-2010, 08:53 PM
It'll cost you more money than you thought, and never be done.

Most days, you'll have a fat smile. Congrats.

The Hedgehog
03-30-2010, 09:11 PM
Awesome. I would like to get my shop back. Anyone want a 1980 MGB that my wife drives a few times a year?

Tony
03-30-2010, 09:25 PM
$200 is a great price for that stove. It is a classic, efficient design with thick walled steel. The double-walled ss stovepipe is crazy expensive, so to get that thrown in makes the deal even sweeter. With an insulated ceiling and walls, that stove should make your shop toasty.

:beer:

fogducker III
03-30-2010, 09:27 PM
I know where that is. Just this weekend I was going through my fuel recipts from last year and found one for Cowican Bay Marina.

Nice area. I could live there. :yes:

VERY cool, not many people that don't live here know where and what we are......next time you are up, fire will be warm and the beer cold.......:popcorn:

fogducker III
03-30-2010, 09:30 PM
Hey Fog-- I'm just an old guy-- but my barn is 25 x40-- and it is too small. I have the 22, 2 atvs, storage racks, 1 snowmobile, three Honda CTs, my tools, a few TVs, a couple of work benches and an TV trailer-- NO ROOM! send you pictures if you like.

No matter what you do -- have fun and congrats on the house:wink:

Thank you sir.........I agree, if I get other "things" they will not fit........

But for now this size shop should at least keep a cover over the boat..:crossfing:

fogducker III
03-30-2010, 09:34 PM

That is the scarey part, the "guesstimate" is nothing like the "bill".......

I am being a little cheap and not having plumbing, wiring or insulation done right away, gonna do the "prep" for those but no install, have to wait until my next pension cheque.......:eek:

fogducker III
03-30-2010, 09:35 PM
$200 is a great price for that stove. It is a classic, efficient design with thick walled steel. The double-walled ss stovepipe is crazy expensive, so to get that thrown in makes the deal even sweeter. With an insulated ceiling and walls, that stove should make your shop toasty.

:beer:

Now to start chopping the wood...........:nilly:

Thanks man...........

mrfixxall
03-30-2010, 10:27 PM
oops i forgot! congrats!!!:)

Jeremy,look into the spray foam for insulation..WE had the lake house done and the furnace barely kicks on,the house is more solid and you can barely hear a boat go by at 3am:)

gero1
03-30-2010, 11:59 PM
congrads! just make sure you can add a side shed later to store the boat in during winter, rapid heating and cooling from a wood stove is hard on paint and fiberglass!!!! don't ask me how i know, i still haven't repainted the hood on the model a

gero1
03-31-2010, 12:01 AM
for ride on the ship i'll put the mg in dry storage for ya

BUIZILLA
03-31-2010, 07:34 AM
Hedge, go store the MG in my garage.... you know where the key is :wink:

Cuda
03-31-2010, 07:53 AM
I bought this house mainly because it has a 30x40 detached garage with 10 foot doors. It's bigger than the house I moved out of. I went from no garage to this one, and you'll be surprised how fast it fills up. Kind of like water shrinkage when you launch a boat.

The Hedgehog
03-31-2010, 09:01 AM
Hedge, go store the MG in my garage.... you know where the key is :wink:

I had not though of that. I will probably take you up on the offer. Thanks.

BUIZILLA
03-31-2010, 09:04 AM
go for it...

just DISCONNECT both terminals of the battery

fogducker III
04-03-2010, 09:28 AM
Well we took possesion of the new house on Thursday, I had a 12 yard bin dropped at the front of the house and started loading misc junk from around the yard and the out-buildings, man was there a lot!

Had the wood, rebar etc dropped for the new shop and did a cleaning in the house.

Friday the 2nd we had a MAJOR storm here, solid rain pushed by 90km winds, roads were bad and covered with branches and the odd tree down, but I got on the old gum boots and rain gear and we got the foundation dug and laser leveled, amazing how much material comes out....:eek:

Going to spend the weekend moving small items into the house and changing a few light fixtures etc and then first thing Monday the forms for the footings will be done, Tuesday pour cement, Wed start framing, Thursday the trussess arrive and hopefully by next weekend I will be roofing...:crossfing:

thehow33
04-03-2010, 10:01 AM
are you tying it into the existing wall or will it be separate?

fogducker III
04-03-2010, 10:09 AM
are you tying it into the existing wall or will it be separate?

It will be free-standing, there will be a covered "breeze-way" between the two buildings........a man door at the side rear corner closest to the house.:wink:

thehow33
04-03-2010, 10:19 AM
nice...thought i would mention this because you said you would have 10' high ceilings. Just so you know you can get taller vertical tracks for your garage door. That way the door goes up closer to the ceiling before it go horizontal. This is a nice cheap and easy option so that when you work in the garage with door open you still have you your ceiling room. I would do this rather than the very expensive, but space saving rolling doors.

fogducker III
04-03-2010, 10:37 AM
nice...thought i would mention this because you said you would have 10' high ceilings. Just so you know you can get taller vertical tracks for your garage door. That way the door goes up closer to the ceiling before it go horizontal. This is a nice cheap and easy option so that when you work in the garage with door open you still have you your ceiling room. I would do this rather than the very expensive, but space saving rolling doors.

I agree, good suggestion, didn't realize there was this much involved in building a shop, this is our first experience at building.......:nilly:

CaribouLou
04-03-2010, 12:08 PM
Looks sweet man....Make sure you add a Mother in law unit so I have a place to stay when I come visit :wink:

Carl C
04-03-2010, 12:14 PM
A man never has enough garage space. Congrats on the new crib.

fogducker III
04-04-2010, 10:57 AM
Looks sweet man....Make sure you add a Mother in law unit so I have a place to stay when I come visit :wink:

are you allowed back into the country now....:confused::wink:

there is always room here for ANY board member........:)

fogducker III
04-04-2010, 11:01 AM
A man never has enough garage space. Congrats on the new crib.

Thanks Carl, on a side note, I thought of you the other day, somebody was selling a collection of minature lighthouses from all over the world on our local used items site, I will see if I can find the ad........:yes:

Found it...........

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/11605776

mrfixxall
04-04-2010, 11:57 AM
Does that mean me and your x are allowed their too :)

fogducker III
04-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Does that mean me and your x are allowed their too :)

You are, she is not a member of the board as far as I know.....:wink:

Carl C
04-05-2010, 06:11 AM
Thanks Carl, on a side note, I thought of you the other day, somebody was selling a collection of minature lighthouses from all over the world on our local used items site, I will see if I can find the ad........:yes:

Found it...........

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/11605776

Yup, I have a bunch of those at the cabin. I mainly like the Great Lakes ones. Would like to find one from Alaska since I go there every year. They don't have many historic lights.

mc donzi
04-05-2010, 07:35 AM
You may want to check with your insurance guy about storing boats, cars dirt bikes etc. in a building with a wood stove. I'm in Ontario and my guy wouldn't cover me. Maybe it's different on the left coast.

fogducker III
04-06-2010, 08:43 AM
Well, after a VERY busy weekend we got alot done, most of the small stuff is in the house and we did a major clean-up and burn around the yard.

First thing Monday started the forms for the foundation, that was AFTER getting the excavator back to fix my screw-up....:nilly: I had "add 2' to the outside dimensions to give room for the forms in my mind" problem was I only added 2' to ONE side of the width!:garfield: The machine had to come in and remove 2' more from the one side, oh well, **** happens eh?

At least by the end of the day it was bacically ready for pouring the cement today. Let it set until Thursday, strip the forms, back-fill and get started on the framing.

We have to have everything out of the old house by the 15th so it will be close having a roof over the boat........:crossfing:

PS. I scored BIG finding a FREE 16' roll up bay door on the local used items for sale site......:yes:

Cuda
04-06-2010, 10:13 AM

There are only two thing you can be absolutely sure of in constrution:

1) It will take longer
2) It will cost more

:)

Cuda
04-06-2010, 10:17 AM
]
I had a picture of every single lighthouse in the State of Florida.

Cuda
04-06-2010, 10:22 AM
Yup, I have a bunch of those at the cabin. I mainly like the Great Lakes ones. Would like to find one from Alaska since I go there every year. They don't have many historic lights.
They have Adak, Alaska! My dad had to make a stop there on a flight to Tokyon, then they broke the landing gear on a snowdift when they tried to take off. They had to fly back to Anchorage to get the landing gear fixed. They sprayed foam on the landing strip, and made all the people move to the back of the plane to make the nose higher.:eek:

Cuda
04-06-2010, 10:30 AM
My neighbor built a garage and put an old time fireplace in it. Sometimes we hang out there in the winter.

fogducker III
04-11-2010, 11:03 PM
Progress has been good......Monday built the foundation forms, Tuesday poured the cement, late Wednesday "carefully" started to pull the forms off, Thursday started to frame and back-filled the inside, will do the outside back-fill when I place the perimeter drains etc....managed to put some extra roadbase on the driveway and outside at the road for an area to pull off and back up the boat into the shop.... Friday put up trusses and sheeted the roof.......spent the weekend moving some more small stuff up from the old house, tomorrow sheet the walls and start covering the roof and arranging the wiring and figure out when we can pour the floor and actually afford it.........:boggled:

Hopefully bring the boat up on Wednesday and actually have it under cover at it's new home......:)

yeller
04-11-2010, 11:27 PM
Damn, you're moving fast Jeremy. Looks like a pretty gentle slope on the trusses. Are you max'd out on the building height?

BTW: Can you paint the concrete on my side of the shop yellow? :hyper: :wink:

fogducker III
04-11-2010, 11:35 PM
Damn, you're moving fast Jeremy. Looks like a pretty gentle slope on the trusses. Are you max'd out on the building height?

BTW: Can you paint the concrete on my side of the shop yellow? :hyper: :wink:

Yes we can do yellow Glenn........:nilly:

The roof slope is 2 on 12 so with the 10' walls it is the same height as the house....didn't want to upset any "new" neighbours.....:yes:

I will be putting a metal roof on so the slope works fine....also add a gutter on each side leading to two 45 gallon plastic barrels hooked to a pressure bladder so I can rinse out the motor and wash out the boat with free water........:cool:

yeller
04-11-2010, 11:48 PM
Yes we can do yellow Glenn........:nilly:
Excellent! Seeing as you're being so accommodating, may as well put white stripes down the centre of the yellow.

Oh, yeah.....and a Donzi prop logo too......:)

fogducker III
04-11-2010, 11:50 PM
Excellent! Seeing as you're being so accommodating, may as well put white stripes down the centre of the yellow.

Oh, yeah.....and a Donzi prop logo too......:)

Should I "super-size" it..? :lookaroun:

yeller
04-12-2010, 12:35 AM
Personally, I'm good with 1/2...but feel free to expand if you'd like more room for yourself. :biggrin.:

fogducker III
04-12-2010, 05:20 PM
Got the roof sheeted and base laid for the metal roof, most of the walls sheeted, cement floor will be poured Wed and electrician coming tomorrow.......but the boat is HOME and she looks comfortable..:yes:

Loads of room and very easy access......:)

Ed Donnelly
04-12-2010, 09:17 PM
Are you sure there is enough room for my Criterion??

I would hate to see you park yours outside..

This is all just in case I decide to run away from home and move to Gods country..............Ed

fogducker III
04-12-2010, 09:51 PM
Are you sure there is enough room for my Criterion??

I would hate to see you park yours outside..

This is all just in case I decide to run away from home and move to Gods country..............Ed

I would make room for it Ed........:tongue:

If you are ever out this neck of the woods we have already started on the "guest" room.....:rolleyes::biggrin:

fogducker III
04-23-2010, 10:48 AM
So I got a little more done, front is framed and sheeted ready for the 16' x 8' garage door, insulation is all in, electrical is done and lights are up and running and I even had time to wash the sawdust off the ole girl.......:wink:

Weather here sucks right now so since I can't boat I might as well try and finish the shop.........:rolleyes:

Craig S
04-23-2010, 11:06 AM
really looking good!

Bamboo Loui
04-23-2010, 01:24 PM
I am impressed!!

looking real good!!:yes:

are you going to be hanging out there-- that is what I like to do--

fogducker III
04-23-2010, 02:17 PM
I am impressed!!

looking real good!!:yes:

are you going to be hanging out there-- that is what I like to do--

Thanks.......it is my first "attempt" at building something "non-mechanical"......:wrench:

It will be my second home......:yes: Big a$$ wood stove, cold beverage fridge, some music and perhaps a small TV to stay in touch with the games......12' x 3' workbench and a wack of cupboards......looking forward to actually finishing it.........:wink:

thehow33
04-23-2010, 04:18 PM
Thanks.......it is my first "attempt" at building something "non-mechanical"......:wrench:

It will be my second home......:yes: Big a$$ wood stove, cold beverage fridge, some music and perhaps a small TV to stay in touch with the games......12' x 3' workbench and a wack of cupboards......looking forward to actually finishing it.........:wink:

looks really nice. can't wait to see the big work bench. nice job and done so quickly...come on over i have some jobs that I have to do.:wink:

fogducker III
04-23-2010, 05:24 PM
looks really nice. can't wait to see the big work bench. nice job and done so quickly...come on over i have some jobs that I have to do.:wink:

Don't start.........my other half has started me a "Honey Do" list.................:nilly::eek::wink:

It will be very nice to have a decent work bench, been fixing things on a piece of plywood laid on two sawhorses.......:frown:

mrfixxall
04-23-2010, 07:43 PM
Where's da jeep?

fogducker III
04-23-2010, 07:53 PM
Where's da jeep?

She is in the shop, fits very nicely between the end of the workbench and the door...........I have a small seperate "lean-to" that she will reside in for the summer, but she will be warm and toasty during the winter months......:wink:

Ed Donnelly
04-24-2010, 06:46 AM
I hear work bench,TV,music, fridge, etc. etc. etc.

But not the most important thing

WHERES THE COUCH??????..............Ed

fogducker III
04-24-2010, 09:06 AM
I hear work bench,TV,music, fridge, etc. etc. etc.

But not the most important thing

WHERES THE COUCH??????..............Ed

DAMN, I knew I forgot something......maybe I can find an old set of rear Classic cushions and make a frame to fit them in? Kinda like sitting in the back of the boat watching the game.........:cool:

Bamboo Loui
04-24-2010, 11:41 AM
A Donzi couch sounds great--
my pole barn/work shop has a couple of great wood work benches I got from a mold making shop--- 4x8s. could have been made 3x8 as well. I think they were made buy an Amish guy nearby. Very heavy duty & They will hold HUNDREDS of pounds-- takes two guys to move-- I can send you some detail pics if you want-pretty easy to make- I could not ask for better benches-allot of wood though=$$
They hold my stereo equipment VCR/DVD/direct TV stuff/ BAR ACCESSORIES plus my work stuff!! I recently put UHMW PE sheets on the top and am afraid to use them- they are so pretty now!!:nilly:

fogducker III
04-24-2010, 12:38 PM
A Donzi couch sounds great--
my pole barn/work shop has a couple of great wood work benches I got from a mold making shop--- 4x8s. could have been made 3x8 as well. I think they were made buy an Amish guy nearby. Very heavy duty & They will hold HUNDREDS of pounds-- takes two guys to move-- I can send you some detail pics if you want-pretty easy to make- I could not ask for better benches-allot of wood though=$$
They hold my stereo equipment VCR/DVD/direct TV stuff/ BAR ACCESSORIES plus my work stuff!! I recently put UHMW PE sheets on the top and am afraid to use them- they are so pretty now!!:nilly:

I would appreciate that, I was not sure how I was going to build the bench, I do know the size I want and I have the capability to "skin" the top with 18 gauge Galvalume, up the front, across the work surface and a "back-splash" up the back, just not sure how to brace it all etc.........:confused: poole.j@shaw.ca

Bamboo Loui
04-24-2010, 04:20 PM
I am in SC right now but will be back home this week-- send me your email and I will get detailed pics for you-- these benches are the best I have ever seen---mine came with 1/8" masonite on them before I changed to the UHMW PE-- the masonite was fine and lasted for more than ten years!
Hope you like the pics when I send them-- If I had the drawings I would send them instead, but the builder will not give them up.

Doug

yeller
04-24-2010, 11:09 PM
...........I have a small seperate "lean-to" that she will reside in for the summer, but she will be warm and toasty during the winter months......:wink:That's a shame your boat will have to be outside for the winter............Oh well....as long as my boat is warm. :wink:

fogducker III
04-25-2010, 09:16 AM
That's a shame your boat will have to be outside for the winter............Oh well....as long as my boat is warm. :wink:

Perhaps one day you will actually come up here and have a look around, you know what I drink.........:wink::drinkbeer:

We can then discuss your "needs".........:yes:

CaribouLou
04-25-2010, 11:26 AM
Looks awesome Jeremy!

CHACHI
04-25-2010, 06:49 PM
Jeremy, this would my choice for a couch.

Ken

http://www.corbin.com/furniture/cc2.shtml

fogducker III
04-25-2010, 09:49 PM
Jeremy, this would my choice for a couch.

Ken

http://www.corbin.com/furniture/cc2.shtml

Nice couch.......but for $4500 I could make one and have $4000 left over for beer..........:yes::wink::party:

Ed Donnelly
04-26-2010, 05:20 AM
You really must have this chair when a couch won't do.:wink::wink: ..Ed

fogducker III
04-26-2010, 08:41 AM
You really must have this chair when a couch won't do.:wink::wink: ..Ed

Now THAT is a chair...:yes:

I do also like the designs of Arne Jacobsen..........

Ed Donnelly
04-27-2010, 10:58 AM
WOW I'm impressed with your knowledge.
I took my chair in to T.M.C. to have reupholstered for $3500
They have had it over a yr. and have totally screwed it up
The replacement cost quoted so far is $18,000 from Toronto
and $21,000 from Montreal...............Ed

fogducker III
04-27-2010, 11:12 AM
WOW I'm impressed with your knowledge.
I took my chair in to T.M.C. to have reupholstered for $3500
They have had it over a yr. and have totally screwed it up
The replacement cost quoted so far is $18,000 from Toronto
and $21,000 from Montreal...............Ed

:shocking: that is some big bucks!!

I actually have an original "ball chair" by Eero Aarnio tucked away in storage to hand down to one of the kids one day....perhaps a wedding present...:confused:

A little extravagant for the shop I think.......

yeller
04-30-2010, 01:20 AM
I'm pretty impressed with how quickly you got the garage up. Have you even unpacked yet?? :)

Brought the boat over on Monday. Just need to reinstall the S/C and I'll be ready for a run...............as soon as I get that damn boaters license. :boggled: Hoping to be completely ready next week. I'll give you a call.

fogducker III
04-30-2010, 10:00 AM
I'm pretty impressed with how quickly you got the garage up. Have you even unpacked yet?? :)

Brought the boat over on Monday. Just need to reinstall the S/C and I'll be ready for a run...............as soon as I get that damn boaters license. :boggled: Hoping to be completely ready next week. I'll give you a call.

Good to hear you got it here Glenn, are you set-up with a place to store it? Do you need a hand with the install or anything else?

We are good to go up here, all un-packed and settled in and even had time for a cold one and some "small" crab legs......:eek:

Next week sounds good, weather is suppose to be good.......:boat:

CaribouLou
04-30-2010, 09:56 PM
I'm coming to visit this summer...so keep lots of cold ones and crab legs :crossfing: