PDA

View Full Version : Need to replace my starter 302 h/m

cwhydeesq
03-28-2010, 04:13 PM
Having popped a thread-worn freeze plug last year on a short cruise, I was lucky that the only victim was the starter. When I pulled the boat out of the water and popped the drain plug, the usual trickle was a torrent which lasted..and lasted..for a LONG time. (Funny, I didn't even notice taking on about 50 gallons of water.) The starter was swamped and since I was in salt, didn't take long before turning to toast. Was able to get my last ride in using a small persuasion tap while my mate was turning the ignition switch but knew that a starter was on the list for pre-spring. Any recommendations? I've seen a couple of 'nascar' ones on ebay and don't mind buying one which is a 'forever' replacement; I just hate buying something which only lasts a season. The one in the boat is original to the 1970 boat/engine (16 SkiSporter.) Appreciate the leads!
Chris

MOP
03-28-2010, 07:10 PM
My starter gave up the ghost up at the 1K run back in 05, believe it or not I found a marine replacement just down river at Auto Zone in Morristown. It was way cheaper there then at a regular Marine supply.

P.S. Get a hand full of extensions for your ratchet, it is some tight in a 16 with the extension things loose much easier.

Phil

mrfixxall
03-28-2010, 08:59 PM
Having popped a thread-worn freeze plug last year on a short cruise, I was lucky that the only victim was the starter. When I pulled the boat out of the water and popped the drain plug, the usual trickle was a torrent which lasted..and lasted..for a LONG time. (Funny, I didn't even notice taking on about 50 gallons of water.) The starter was swamped and since I was in salt, didn't take long before turning to toast. Was able to get my last ride in using a small persuasion tap while my mate was turning the ignition switch but knew that a starter was on the list for pre-spring. Any recommendations? I've seen a couple of 'nascar' ones on ebay and don't mind buying one which is a 'forever' replacement; I just hate buying something which only lasts a season. The one in the boat is original to the 1970 boat/engine (16 SkiSporter.) Appreciate the leads!
Chris

here is a good sorce!

http://www.db-starter-alternator.com/Starter%20Motors/Marine/Inboard/

Barry Eller
03-29-2010, 05:45 AM
Chris

here is a good sorce!

http://www.db-starter-alternator.com/Starter%20Motors/Marine/Inboard/

Just be certain you purchase a "Marine" starter. Fixx is correct about DB being a good source. Best prices I have found. I bought my marine alternator from them.