PDA

View Full Version : Battery Switch

Fluffy Foo-Foo
03-26-2010, 07:57 PM
I have a classic 16 and would like to install battery switch. The battery is in the compartment under the rear seat. I was thinking just below the rear seat facing forward.

The distance between the passenger area to the battery compartment is about 3-4".

It would be nice to be recessed so as not to be in the way of anyone sitting in the rear (16's don't have much room!).

Any suggestions?

Anybody have shut off switches?

Thanks

Steve

gcarter
03-26-2010, 08:07 PM
Usually, they're mounted on the seat back under the hatch.
However, Farmer Tex did exactly what you're talking about and posted it within the last week.
Take a look. You may not have enough height to do what you're talking about though.

BlownCrewCab
03-26-2010, 08:56 PM
Do you have a single battery? there are much smaller simple On/Off switches, only dual batteries need the Bat1/Bat2/All/Off switch. you don't need the big round switch for a single.....

Fluffy Foo-Foo
03-27-2010, 08:13 AM
Gcarter, thanks. I found the post by Farmer Tex. Here's the link to the manufacturer FYI.

www.ssicustomplastics.com/switches.htm (http://www.ssicustomplastics.com/switches.htm)

I might be able to use 1 of their recessed boxes.

Blown crew, I have 1 battery and I am looking for a small footprint due to limited space in the 16.

Thanks

Steve

oledawg
03-27-2010, 06:42 PM
My mechanic put one in the compartment with the battery, not really too much trouble to lift the seat to turn it off at the end of the day. Said if in the engine compartment it has to be high up to avoid any issues with sparking and fumes.

Sweet Cheekz
03-27-2010, 06:46 PM
Steve
Have you had a chance to get your new ride out yet? Anxous to hear how you like that first blast
Parnell

zelatore
03-27-2010, 07:02 PM
If space is really tight, you might try something like this:
http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/product.cgi?group=96071&product=96147

It's smaller than the typical round Perko/Guest switch and when not in use you can pull the 'key' out of it for good measure to make sure nobody accidentally turns something on and leaves you with a dead battery.

Fluffy Foo-Foo
03-27-2010, 09:35 PM
My mechanic put one in the compartment with the battery

I wanted to avoid taking off the seat cushion, then taking off the compartment cover, then turn off the battery, then put the compartment cover back on, then................

Besides I don't have much room in my engine compartment what with headers and a blower! I can't even SEE the cable coming from the battery to the starter!

I was going to recess it on the forward side of the partition between the battery compartment and the passenger area. Since I am going to put a switch in I figure why not make it easy to get to. I guess just I'm lazy!:bonk:

Fluffy Foo-Foo
03-27-2010, 09:46 PM
Steve
Have you had a chance to get your new ride out yet? Anxous to hear how you like that first blast
Parnell

Sadly. not yet. :frown: The lake has a lot of debris from storm run-off. It's a Corp of Engineer's flood control lake and in early spring the levels are high and a lot of stuff comes off the shoreline. Don't want to be playing dodge-the-log!

I did fire it up for the first time this year in the driveway last Friday though! Had the neighbors over for show & tell! Took the baffles out (had to sawzall the bolts off) and ran open headers just for grins and giggles. Sounded GREAT!:biggrin.:

Will keep all posted once I get it out!

Thanks

Steve