hdsadey
03-25-2010, 08:25 PM
thats pretty baddass!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sweet Cheekz
03-25-2010, 08:32 PM
Thanks guys It was fun. I was running around 60-65

Just Say N20
03-25-2010, 08:40 PM
OK, so I've watched it about 10 times now, and I've got to say I LOVE the way the boat gets such good speed (with LOTS left) while running perfectly level.

It just looks perfect! No "River Racer Nose Up, Dancing on the pad" look. Just a perfect, level Deep-V slicing through the water. Just like its supposed to be.

I'm hoping, and believing, that is how my 16 is going to run with the "magic" Grizz prop.

Sweet Cheekz
03-25-2010, 09:18 PM
Thanks Bill
Any Grizz prop will be a good one! I think the 60 gallon tank has something to do with it, it really does run flat My other video in Lake Michigan showed the same thing It makes going fast in some chop a little more secure feeling. I'm looking forward to you getting it done and giving us the report.
It does have a lot left there too.
Parnell

ITTLFLI
03-26-2010, 06:55 AM
Awesome video! :yes:

mattyboy
03-26-2010, 07:41 AM
OK, so I've watched it about 10 times now, and I've got to say I LOVE the way the boat gets such good speed (with LOTS left) while running perfectly level.
It just looks perfect! No "River Racer Nose Up, Dancing on the pad" look. Just a perfect, level Deep-V slicing through the water. Just like its supposed to be.
I'm hoping, and believing, that is how my 16 is going to run with the "magic" Grizz prop.

Bill
the solas is a very stable prop but in order to get an old volvo to ride like that you have to move alot of weight forward, drag tabs and ride with the drive in the bottom hole. an E drive if you found one would help too.

The volvo drive acts like a lever creating bow lift, the solas doesn't seem to have alot of bow lift or stern lift it seems to "carry" the boat. The old school thought on the 16 was to get it up aired out excessive trim to get fast speeds. I always found my 16 ran the best full tank and me and someone the same weight as me up front. With Marie next to me the boat would still look to go airborne. Rootsy boat ran level with the right prop and SS on it but I think it had just a tad less wetted surface than Parnell's.

ask anyone who has bigger power in a voilvo the solas is the most stable might not be the fastest prop they have used. I feel the solas is a faster more
maintainable" speed it never got squirrily.

Parnell nice video

Just Say N20
03-26-2010, 07:56 AM
Matty,

An E-drive would be great, but I don't know if it would fit. Marshall repowered this boat in 1987 with the 310 hp Volvo and a new 290A (with Trim) outdrive.

Parnell's 16 HAD a 42 gallon tank in it, which he replaced with a 65 gallon tank. He offered me the old tank for a very reasonable price. I didn't take it because the tank was also replaced in my boat, so it was newer than his.

I am more inclined to put some permanent weight in the bow, ahead of the tank. That way when the tank ran down, I would still have weight up there.

My tank (24 gal) full is about 266 lbs lighter than Parnell's.

Something to think about.

Sweet Cheekz
03-26-2010, 08:10 AM
Rootsy boat ran level with the right prop and SS on it but I think it had just a tad less wetted surface than Parnell's.

Parnell nice video

Thanks Matty

I wasn't trimmed out in that pic at all so I wonder if when I get it aired out if this will be true regarding Rootsy's boat. The boat seems to have so much power now that I was cruising along trimmed in having a relaxing run back when I saw the copter and punched it. I never trimmed it out at all yet it shot forward like a little rocket. Its going to be 70 degrees here next thursday and thats my birthday then so I'm determined to take it out for my first 80 plus day. We shall see what it does when I let it loose, so to speak. I've seen the video of Rootsy's boat from in the boat but is there one running along side it anywhere you have ever seen? It would be so interesting to compare. I was watching that 540hp 16 run past the camera and it was sitting pretty.
Parnell

mattyboy
03-26-2010, 08:21 AM
Parnell ,
with my 16 there was a fine line once I got on the tabs to pull the nose down.
It would go from cutting thru to digging in where the azz end would try and pass the front end very quickly. it didn't look like yours had any tendency to bow steer it just ran along.

There was a video around somewhere of rootsy running with Doug Lovins ( another 18 that has wolf in sheep's clothing written all over it ) both running mid 70's on some lake in Mi.

MDonziM
03-26-2010, 08:24 AM
Matty,

An E-drive would be great, but I don't know if it would fit. Marshall repowered this boat in 1987 with the 310 hp Volvo and a new 290A (with Trim) outdrive.

Parnell's 16 HAD a 42 gallon tank in it, which he replaced with a 65 gallon tank. He offered me the old tank for a very reasonable price. I didn't take it because the tank was also replaced in my boat, so it was newer than his.

I am more inclined to put some permanent weight in the bow, ahead of the tank. That way when the tank ran down, I would still have weight up there.

My tank (24 gal) full is about 266 lbs lighter than Parnell's.

Something to think about.

Hey Bill,
How's everything going with the 16? I didn't mind the bowlift as much as the chine walk. I would add weight in the bow only as a last resort. Also, cant remember if the nose cone on the drive helped to stabilize or not. I'm sure the new props today are a lot better handling.
Marshall

MDonziM
03-26-2010, 08:27 AM
Sweet Cheekz

Have not seen that quality (chopper) video of a classic before, it is really great. Boat looks awsome.(looked faster than 65)

Marshall

Sweet Cheekz
03-26-2010, 08:31 AM
Parnell ,
with my 16 there was a fine line once I got on the tabs to pull the nose down.
It would go from cutting thru to digging in where the azz end would try and pass the front end very quickly. it didn't look like yours had any tendency to bow steer it just ran along.

There was a video around somewhere of rootsy running with Doug Lovins ( another 18 that has wolf in sheep's clothing written all over it ) both running mid 70's on some lake in Mi.

Matty
Thats a feeling I have never experienced except in a old 911 Porsche. It does not bow steer unless I really try

If you ever run accross the video let me know

Thanks Marshall. Speedo isn't working so I was just guessing :)

Parnell

mattyboy
03-26-2010, 08:36 AM
the boat off the starboard side is Doug Lovins

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSxFF9CEApY

Sweet Cheekz
03-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Looking good! Thanks
Parnell

Ed Donnelly
03-26-2010, 12:55 PM
What a sweet ride. Brings back a lot of memories of my 16'