PDA

View Full Version : 28 ZX engine(s) questions???

Mckillop
03-25-2010, 09:23 AM
Some day in the future, (hopefully sooner than later) I would like to purchase a 28ZX or an older 27ZX. My question is, what are the benefits of twin 350's vs. a single big block? I found a smokin deal on a super clean 1998 28XZ with twin 350's, and I also found a couple with a single big block.
How much more fuel would the twins run through per hour that a single big block? Obviously there are more cost associated with twins, but is it worth it?
Personally, I think it would be cool to have twins. But, I cant justify buying a boat that costs way more money to maintain and service just because it has 2 motors.
Anyways, and thoughts or opinions about this would be appreciated. Thanks

VetteLT193
03-25-2010, 09:57 AM
Twins was mandatory for me because I like the security.

There are plenty of guys here that run singles and like them.

As far as a stock boat goes twins should be faster. Docking will be easier. the torque cancels itself out because of counter-rotating props. Fuel economy I can't say for sure but I'd guess they are about even. My 28 with twin 6.2's seems to "wake up" above 45 MPH. This seems to be from the step bottom... So, if you had say a single 454 the MPG may be worse because it is not powerful enough to get the benefits of the step hull.

I know they made some single HP500 boats but I haven't seen any for sale... they probably overcome some of the power/efficiency issues.

In the end I think if you compare two boats, single to twin, that go about the same speed your maintenance will be about the same overall. Single will be harder on the drive. Big Block means higher cost parts. Twin Small blocks means cheaper parts, easier on the drives.

They built these boats over the years in many flavors and it is tough to compare them all and I am sure you will get a whole lot of opinions. 454, 502, HP500, Twin: 5.0's, 350 Mag, 6.2 MPI, 377 Scorp, and I saw one on eBay that had 350 MPI's even. That's a whole lot of power options on one hull... The best advice is to go out and get rides or test drive some.

Trueser
03-25-2010, 09:59 AM
I would not want a Single in a 28....

26 Possibly.

What do you think Cheap is?

As far as fuel I ran about the same fuel as a big block 22.

CJmike
03-25-2010, 10:52 AM
As someone who has a single BBC in a 27ZX I would go twins if I was to do it again I think. But the single has it plus side as well. Less maintance. Only one motor and one drive. Lots of room to work on the motor in the engine compartment. Actually in the 27ZX there is so much room down there I put a large container on one side for misc stuff and a cooler on the other. Fuel is not much of an issue. I rarely use $125 most weekends on the river. With a single you'll want the most HP you can get. A stepped hull would be a plus as well. 500hp in these boats should be the starting point. 454 is not a good choice at all. But the cabin in these boats is great. We spend many a weekend on ours. Its no cabin cruiser but it does okay.

Mckillop
03-25-2010, 11:36 AM
Thats exactly the input I was looking for. Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help!