PDA

View Full Version : 22zx dash

brwn234
03-25-2010, 09:06 AM
I'm looking at the interior of my 22ZX and I'm not liking the strip of yellow dingy caulking around the dash and up over the cabin door. I'm not sure if its silicon or polyurethane or what but I want to make it white. I've read alot about people using regular rustoleum in bilges and thought this may be a good option. I just want to make sure it will stick.

I'll try to get some pictures so what I'm refering to is clearer.

VetteLT193
03-25-2010, 09:10 AM
I would use white silicone.

Bilge Coat on the bilge because you know it will work.

brwn234
03-25-2010, 09:28 AM
I thought about that. If I could find something that was UV stable and wont yellow I could do a nice job. I don't wanna start somethign that I have to redo every couple of years.

rtgogo
03-25-2010, 12:02 PM
I'm with ya.. hate that nasty lookin caulk, but don't want to start an annual refresh. I was going to use the white silicon, but not sure how it will hold up in sun..

quick ZX
03-25-2010, 03:06 PM
GEEZ let me know if you guys find something... I've been using all kinds of household and silicone cleaners can't find anything to clean it. I've tried to remove it couldn't really do that it was so hard to remove.

rtgogo
03-26-2010, 09:17 AM
haven't seen my boat in months... but can't we just add white silicon over the existing

brwn234
03-26-2010, 01:48 PM
I'd be concerned with it yellowing again. I thought about trying 3m 4000 UV, but figured paint would be easier to apply.

rtgogo
03-27-2010, 08:25 AM
ok.. guess you couldn't get the silicon thick enough to prevent the old from bleeding thru. Paint sounding like a better option... don't think removing the ole yeller stuff would be an options I'd choose.... Problem I see with paint would be the edging of the existing gasket caulk. Not sure about yours, but don't think mine has real clean lines. Guess it could only look better, but I'd like to find some type of gasket to overlay on the existing that would have a more crisp edge and bright white color. Know of any real thin marine gasket material that may hold up to the sun?

rtgogo
03-27-2010, 08:25 AM
may be too many turns to make that idea work...