PDA

View Full Version : 6-71s versus 6-92s

handfulz28
03-24-2010, 08:40 PM
I know there's a lot of reading out there but looking for some quick insight on the differences. I'm seeing instances of the same brand/length listing both engines, with the 92 in the early '80s and the 71 in the mid-later '80s. I think they're all TIs.

BlownCrewCab
03-24-2010, 08:42 PM
I Bet Buiz Knows, He's kinda keen on that stuff:yes:

BUIZILLA
03-24-2010, 08:48 PM
what is it you want to know?

handfulz28
03-24-2010, 09:00 PM
AT this point I'm a complete novice. Is there a preference for either, why? I'm wondering why a manufacturer would put both engines in the same hull. is it something as simple and analogous as a 305 vs 350? Or more like SBC vs BBC? Or perhaps "early" SBC vs Vortec SBC?

Is one easier to get parts for and/or service?

In the long run, would the -92 be less efficient than a -71? Remember, same hull so a reasonable comparison. And FWIW, long runs and top speed aren't main concern; expect to be more of a canal cruiser and 2-3kts on top isn't worth 20% more fuel burn across the range (if that would be the case).

Bottom line, efficiency and maintenance.

Thanks Jim.

BUIZILLA
03-24-2010, 09:21 PM
71 inches per hole vs 92 inches per hole = 30% difference everywhere...

unless your comparing a 6-92 against a 8-71

or an 8-92 vs a 6-71

or....

what hull?

gcarter
03-24-2010, 09:27 PM
I always wondered why they offered a 24V-71 when the same power is available w/so many fewer moving parts and shorter package........and a much shorter crankshaft!

BUIZILLA
03-24-2010, 09:29 PM
a whaaaattttt????

24??

uh

no

The Hedgehog
03-24-2010, 10:54 PM
I am partial to the 71 series because I am now in the club.

Buizilla is the guy to know. Listen to him. He won't steer you wrong. That goes the same for the whole hull/engine combo.

I called the master when I was kicking around a few ideas. I have YET to hear that I don't have a great combo.

gcarter
03-25-2010, 05:41 AM
a whaaaattttt????

24??

uh

no

Uh

YES!

I've seen more than one.
The first was at the '97 or so Miami boat show.
I thout it was a waste of time, and incredibly long!

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/ryq/

http://www.rendeq.com/used_generators.htm

http://www.trinityyachts.com/118marshakay.asp

Sorry for the hijack.

BUIZILLA
03-25-2010, 06:37 AM
never seen one

had to be a reason it was a 1 year only thingy...

you'd need 4 motor mount points to keep the main bearings in it...

gcarter
03-25-2010, 06:55 AM
never seen one

had to be a reason it was a 1 year only thingy...

you'd need 4 motor mount points to keep the main bearings in it...

I agree.....
It looked rediculous.
And I would have had serious doubts about the strength of the crankshaft @ 1400 HP....

VetteLT193
03-25-2010, 08:12 AM
If I had a choice of 6-71s or 6-92 I would go for 6-71's for many reasons. They are very common world wide. Reliable as hell. If something happens and you are just about anywhere you will be able to get parts and find a mechanic that has worked on one. The 6-71 was used forever. It is the longest single running engine I can think of at least in the marine world. They were used in landing craft in WWII and continued through the 90's.

6-92's are a red headed step child in the marine world. you will generally see 6V92's.

Rootsy
03-25-2010, 08:48 AM
Ones an inline (71).. one's a V (92)...

Personally I like the 1-71... Find me one...

BUIZILLA
03-25-2010, 09:01 AM
6-92's are a red headed step child in the marine world. you will generally see 6V92's. there is no difference, it's just terminology speak... all 92's are *V's* 6V-8V-12V-16V...

i'm a BIG fan of 6V92's, especially late build single turbo, wet turbine housing setup's @ 550hp.... compact, powerful, smooth... just awesome engines

8V92 wet exhaust manifolds don't exist, trust me on this... 6V92 manifolds are still around.. somewhere..

Bertram used to use 6V71 single wet turbo engines in the 37's... nice, compact, powerful, rare as hell to find..

nothing wrong with inline 6-71 TI's up to 450hp, but the 485hp bypass blower version is a tad over-strung

the noisiest Detroit on earth is a 6V53 twin dry turbo marine... OMG... :shocking:

8.2 Detroits are 4 cycle dog's for parts but the 300hp marine version held up well, takes a certified DDA mechanic to work on them correctly..

if you can find a 42-46' Post with 6-71/450's it'll last an eternity.. stay away from 42-46-48 Oceans no matter what.. i'm a fan of Vikings, especially late 80's...

under 40', look for 375-425hp 3208 Cat's, 440 Yanmars are stupid expensive on parts but run good.. 6CTA 420-450 Cummins are real good but the early 1999-2001 models had dirty idle and throttle up issues, then ran clean after 1700 rpm.. I wouldn't use a B model Cummins past 35'..

National Liquidators has an interesting 12m Trojan with good power, price is right

my standard rule on diesel boats is this > 10hp per side for every ft length > 40ft = 400hp per side > minimum

handfulz28
03-25-2010, 01:17 PM
42' Post 6-71 TIs
check

42' with 6-V92s ....is there a different between 530hp and 550hp?
What happens when manifolds go bad? No special order at West Marine? LOL

gcarter
03-25-2010, 01:38 PM
the noisiest Detroit on earth is a 6V53 twin dry turbo marine... OMG... :shocking:

Particularly at about 2700 RPM.

BUIZILLA
03-25-2010, 01:42 PM
42' Post 6-71 TIs
check

42' with 6-V92s ....is there a different between 530hp and 550hp?
What happens when manifolds go bad? No special order at West Marine? LOL
do your Post homework... there was an undesirable period there I think...

DonziJon
03-25-2010, 06:45 PM
I'm probably way out of touch....so go easy on me...I'm just wondering: Back in 1962 or so, when I was in the Navy, we had 40' Utility Boats on our ship....A Destroyer Tender. The boats were wood, and had a GM 6-71..Supercharged....not Turbocharged six inline diesel.

I actually saw one "Run Away". A couple of the "Enginemen" assigned to the boat were diddling with the mechanical Governor which would allow a little extra performance. Anywho: the governor "fell off" beyond the 12 O'clock max position allowed and the engine started to "Run Away"...over a period of maybe 10 minutes...a guess.

Runaway:That's when..even when the fuel is shut off..the engine starts to consume its own oil in the crankcase. The guys stuffed rags into the supercharger .... to no avail. The engine just continued to gain RPM on it's own. The boat was tied up to the pier.

THEN..The flywheel disintegrated and nearly took off the arm at the shoulder of the last guy still onboard. I was looking over the side of the ship at the boat and saw the guy when he was HIT. Not pretty.

Is this the same 6-71 as is being discussed above.? The superchargers ..(Roots Type..?) were in great demand for AA Fuel Dragsters and other hotrods at the time. John

BUIZILLA
03-25-2010, 07:22 PM
good story.... not entirely possible

but a good story nonetheless... :wink:

realbold
03-25-2010, 09:48 PM

:yes: we had one in a 1978 American 25 excavator....SCREAMED :eek:

The Hedgehog
03-26-2010, 12:27 AM
I'm probably way out of touch....so go easy on me...I'm just wondering: Back in 1962 or so, when I was in the Navy, we had 40' Utility Boats on our ship....A Destroyer Tender. The boats were wood, and had a GM 6-71..Supercharged....not Turbocharged six inline diesel.
I actually saw one "Run Away". A couple of the "Enginemen" assigned to the boat were diddling with the mechanical Governor which would allow a little extra performance. Anywho: the governor "fell off" beyond the 12 O'clock max position allowed and the engine started to "Run Away"...over a period of maybe 10 minutes...a guess.
Runaway:That's when..even when the fuel is shut off..the engine starts to consume its own oil in the crankcase. The guys stuffed rags into the supercharger .... to no avail. The engine just continued to gain RPM on it's own. The boat was tied up to the pier.
THEN..The flywheel disintegrated and nearly took off the arm at the shoulder of the last guy still onboard. I was looking over the side of the ship at the boat and saw the guy when he was HIT. Not pretty.
Is this the same 6-71 as is being discussed above.? The superchargers ..(Roots Type..?) were in great demand for AA Fuel Dragsters and other hotrods at the time. John

Hmm, I have both roots blower and turbos on my 1271's. Does that mean that I am important or just have a turbo 1271. Twice blown!

Jk, they all have roots blowers as part of the induction system.

I have heard about the runaway thing. I dunno if it is fact of fiction. I would like to know. I am leaning toward fiction.

Cuda
03-26-2010, 03:23 AM
I have heard about the runaway thing. I dunno if it is fact of fiction. I would like to know. I am leaning toward fiction.
It's not fiction. My dad was a diesel mechanic in the Navy, and he told me they would stuff rags into the air intake of a runaway diesel.

MOP
03-26-2010, 04:14 AM
Jim brought up a very important point, the early 42 Posts with 671 naturals was a very good boat had a great reputation in the industry, when they went to the 671TI. The hull design just did not work with the added power. In my opinion having been a yacht broker and knowing how hard a TI 42 is to sell to any knowledgeably buyer I would advise you to hunt down a nice early N boat. You will run 3 knots slower but have your hands on a good riding, handling well respected boat. Either that or dig deeper and spring for a 43 that is when Post finally got around to modifying the hull to match the power. Another point the 671N will out live the 671TI by a big margin and are a bit cheaper to rebuild! If you find one you like survey it in the correct order! ALWAYS call in the engine surveyor first, do not let your broker rope you into an all in one day thing!!!!!! Many will ask why, simple the engine survey is about 1/3 of the total survey cost when buying a diesel boat. The engines are very costly to fix, if something major is found you can back away from the deal a lot easier then if you have gone for the full hull, engine and haul. In most cases this will save you a couple of grand, keep in mind rebuilding a set of 671 TI's can run around 30K up in my area.

The Hedgehog
03-26-2010, 06:51 AM
It's not fiction. My dad was a diesel mechanic in the Navy, and he told me they would stuff rags into the air intake of a runaway diesel.

Yikes, I guess I could keep some garbage bags in the engine compartment to put them over the air filters.:shocking:

BUIZILLA
03-26-2010, 07:34 AM
let me clarify my comment...

stuffing rags into a blower will sieze the blower and/ or snap the drive shaft or strip the gears.. blower won't turn, no air gets by the siezed rotors... no air = engine won't run... most if not all had shutdown doors on the blower inlet EXCEPT some hi po marine engines where the trap door wouldn't fit under the inlet housing to the blower from the intercooler(s)... what happened here is the external control lever over-centered against the heavy external spring and it ran up against the internal rpm spring at an elevated controlled rpm... a runaway engine is just that, climbing rpm's until baboom. BIG difference in terminology... it's just not going to run for 10 minutes at uncontrolled rpm, 10 seconds maybe... 10 minutes, uncontrolled, is a fallacy...

I had to put a phone book over the air inlet of a D397 CAT one time and it sucked a square phone book into a round 8" inlet... :eek:

handfulz28
03-26-2010, 08:42 AM
It is actually a 43' but now that I read more it doesn't say whether they're nats or TIs; either way it sounds like the better option.

Phil, thanks for confirming what I figured would be the way to go about it: engine survey most important.

Hmm...this one time, I left a bag over an intake...learned my lesson. :D Engine builder: "looks like you burned a couple valves...something stuck on the valves" Me:"I have no idea what could've happened"

Just a clarification on earlier post: the 42' with -92s @530hp isn't a Post. From what little I've read so far it seems to be a reputable brand/model though.

As usual, many thanks for helping a newbie at this oil burning/big boat stuff! :D

BUIZILLA
03-26-2010, 08:57 AM
a 43 Post with 6 TI's is the MacDaddy sh1t... :cool:

if the 42 is a Chris Craft, maybe a 421?? not bad either... :crossfing:

forget the 38-42 Bert's.. 43 Bert's are expensive

if you want an aft cabin, look for an older Uniflite, Viking, or Chris with 8-71 naturals or 3208 turbo Cat's..

there was a kickbutt meticulous 39' 1989 Hatt sportfish for sale at Matheson last fall with 6-71 TI's.... I came a hair's breath from buying it, I really truly should have, if it's still for sale, and your serious, you need to be alllll over this one... :yes:

handfulz28
03-26-2010, 09:35 AM
a 43 Post with 6 TI's is the MacDaddy sh1t... :cool:

if the 42 is a Chris Craft, maybe a 421?? not bad either... :crossfing:

forget the 38-42 Bert's.. 43 Bert's are expensive

if you want an aft cabin, look for an older Uniflite, Viking, or Chris with 8-71 naturals or 3208 turbo Cat's..

there was a kickbutt meticulous 39' 1989 Hatt sportfish for sale at Matheson last fall with 6-71 TI's.... I came a hair's breath from buying it, I really truly should have, if it's still for sale, and your serious, you need to be alllll over this one... :yes:

Now don't go letting the seller know that!!

422, 421, Commander, I can't figure out what the CCs are supposed to be. But I like 'em.

I've looked at the under 40 crowd and I don't think I'd be happy with the bridge and overall size. Post,Viking,Ocean and CC have my attention.

VetteLT193
03-26-2010, 09:49 AM
there is no difference, it's just terminology speak... all 92's are *V's* 6V-8V-12V-16V...

..... stay away from 42-46-48 Oceans no matter what.. i'm a fan of Vikings, especially late 80's.......

Gotcha on the terminology.

the Ocean and Viking comments are funny to me. Viking has the name but I have no idea how they built it. I think there are still parts of me that are salt crusted from the Viking. 1989 45' with 6-71 TIB's. We originally took the boat down from Boston. We were in some moderately rough seas for the first 2 days, probably 5-7'. Came in after day 2 with one screw billowing black smoke. What happened, which took some time to find (and the entire trip to do it), is the pickup tube cracked so it was sucking in air unless you were running fast and it could pick up enough fuel. There was no access to the fuel tank pickups (under the back deck). that was a job and a half. BTW, boat had 190 hours on it when we picked it up. Any time we were in any kind of sea, even 2-3', we would have to zip up most of the bridge to avoid getting wet. great design there. :nilly:

The 42 Ocean though... that was a great boat. That one had 700 or so hours on it when we got it. ran the heck out of it. put it through HUGE seas. We had problems with it too... except the problems were all crap items like a couple of cabinet door knobs. The 42 was faster and more efficient. It was also dry. We saw the next owner at the Ocean booth at the boat show a few years later. He had nearly 3000 hours on the boat without rebuilds or any other issues with the boat itself.

The Viking was in the keys for awhile. Saw the new owner once and he was working on a major wiring problem with flashlight in hand.

Another funny story is we were docked next to a guy in Port Lucaya once with a 48 Ocean. I started chatting with him and found out his prior boat was a 48 Hatteras. He bought it because it was supposed to be a great boat... "the best" he was told. Well, he tags along with friends of his on an Ocean Rendezvous. They hit rough seas. He gets in to dock wet and tired and all the ocean guys were doing fine. He described the Oceans as skipping over the waves instead of pounding through them. He traded his Hat. for the Ocean and was happy as could be.

We certainly heard all the crap being spewed about Ocean before buying. Took the "risk" on a deal and could not have been happier.

If I was buying a used boat like this I would stick with a manufacturer still in business. There are a whole lot of people that go to the boat shows and see whatever brand boat new then go home and search used ones. It will help in resale.

MOP
03-26-2010, 11:21 AM
Have to comment on the above, the first thought for any buyer is when it comes time to sell how will I come out. The best way and which I have advised customers is to walk the dock where there is a lot of the boats you are interested, ask as many owners as you can their experience with their boats and scuttle butt on others. Take a couple of weekends doing it you will form a very important opinion that will save you money in the long run. Reputation is key when you go to sell the boat.

Now Oceans!!! Having sold quite a few over 20 years my comments! They are faster they are prettier but also in just my marina alone we had four the cracked the bottoms, all 42's a very even balance two sport fish and two double cabins. Believe me I knew the owners well the boats were fixed by Ocean and then quickly sold! There is a 42 laying at the bottom of the canyon off NY/NJ shores that one of my customs rescued the people off just before it went down, he could not believe his eyes! He was in his 42 Chris heading out, they were running six footers not bad seas at all. The Chris was running easy at 18kts when the Ocean flew by thought is was running mid 20's. He said it came to a stop about 1/8 mile ahead of him as he came up on it was taking on water bad, they got the guys and most of their gear off. The boat was a two year old Ocean that the guy had bought new, in my opinion I would much rather get soaked with spray then have to swim away from my Ocean!

Cuda
03-26-2010, 01:04 PM
I don't think the diesels my dad worked on were blown. Most of the ships he was on were steam powered. They had diesels for other jobs, such as a seawater pump or some other accessory. He was on mostly minesweepers. He was on a subchaser in Korea. He did two tours in Korea, one on a minesweeper called the "Redhead".

DonziJon
03-26-2010, 02:37 PM
I dunno if it is fact of fiction. I would like to know. I am leaning toward fiction.

Here ya go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_engine_runaway

BUIZILLA
03-26-2010, 02:59 PM
no air = no runaway

Cuda
03-26-2010, 06:16 PM
no air = no runaway
That's exactly my dad's thoughts. :)

gcarter
03-26-2010, 08:27 PM
It seems that if you read between the lines here, this would only happen to an engine that's pretty well worn out.
Right?

Cuda
03-27-2010, 08:42 AM
Define a worn out 6-71.

The Hedgehog
03-27-2010, 10:37 AM
I don't think the diesels my dad worked on were blown. Most of the ships he was on were steam powered. They had diesels for other jobs, such as a seawater pump or some other accessory. He was on mostly minesweepers. He was on a subchaser in Korea. He did two tours in Korea, one on a minesweeper called the "Redhead".

The 71's are all blown. They use roots blowers for scavenging on the two strokes.

DonziJon
03-27-2010, 11:26 AM
Define a worn out 6-71.

USS Shenandoah AD-26 had three 40' utility/liberty boats and a fifty footer, plus the captains/officers Gig. We also had an "M" Boat which was a "Landing Craft Mechanized" with ...I think..two 6-71s for hauling vehicles.

The others all had single 6-71s. On a seven month Med Cruise, the three 40s would each likely see an engine overhaul during the cruise as they were run flat out pretty much 14+ hours a day running people and stuff back and forth to shore.

When the exhaust started pumping Big Black smoke out the exhaust at speed, instead of white vapor, the engine was an overhaul canadate. Shenandoah had an engine overhaul shop, as well as heavy and light machine shops to do the work. We also had a foundry on board for making castings. We were a Repair Ship for Destroyers and anything else in the US Mediteranian Fleet. !961-1962.

Just reminiscing. :wink:

BTW: There were TWO big items that were in big demand in the black market on shore in the Med. Cigarettes..a sailor paid a dollar a carton on the ship and could sell them for Five to Eight bucks on shore.. if you could get them ashore without getting caught.

The other big item was 6-71 fuel injectors. They came in nice little individual steel cases..on the style of little ammo cans. They sold for $60+ a piece on the beach. :nilly:

Cuda
03-27-2010, 10:24 PM
The 71's are all blown. They use roots blowers for scavenging on the two strokes.
They may have been. I was too young to know the difference.

BUIZILLA
03-27-2010, 10:28 PM
Define a worn out 6-71.
when it doesn't start... :cool!:

Cuda
03-27-2010, 10:28 PM
USS Shenandoah AD-26 had three 40' utility/liberty boats and a fifty footer, plus the captains/officers Gig. We also had an "M" Boat which was a "Landing Craft Mechanized" with ...I think..two 6-71s for hauling vehicles.
The others all had single 6-71s. On a seven month Med Cruise, the three 40s would each likely see an engine overhaul during the cruise as they were run flat out pretty much 14+ hours a day running people and stuff back and forth to shore.
When the exhaust started pumping Big Black smoke out the exhaust at speed, instead of white vapor, the engine was an overhaul canadate. Shenandoah had an engine overhaul shop, as well as heavy and light machine shops to do the work. We also had a foundry on board for making castings. We were a Repair Ship for Destroyers and anything else in the US Mediteranian Fleet. !961-1962.
Just reminiscing. :wink:
BTW: There were TWO big items that were in big demand in the black market on shore in the Med. Cigarettes..a sailor paid a dollar a carton on the ship and could sell them for Five to Eight bucks on shore.. if you could get them ashore without getting caught.
The other big item was 6-71 fuel injectors. They came in nice little individual steel cases..on the style of little ammo cans. They sold for $60+ a piece on the beach. :nilly:
Dad was in the Med twice. That's when he was gone the longest. Once for six months, and once for nine months.
I think the 6-71's were wet sleved I think, where they could just change a cylinder.

BUIZILLA
03-28-2010, 06:49 AM
dry sleeves...

92's are wet sleeves..

Cuda
03-28-2010, 08:47 AM
I'm going on 40 year old memories here. :)

DonziJon
03-28-2010, 07:10 PM
NAVY.. Ocean Mine Sweeper..(MSO) I had the opportunity to go aboard one while I was in the Navy. The hull was wood. Most of the big metal parts were either Brass, Bronze, or Stainless Steel. The engines were Aluminum. The whole idea was the ship had to be Non Magnetic. Don't want to set off no stinkin mines while we're out lookin. :wink:

The MSO I went aboard (I think it was DASH) had a pair of Deisel Aluminum V8s. They were Very BIG. There was a catwalk between them and the catwalk was at the level of the crankcase break. The valve covers were above my head. The pistons were maybe 14 inches in diameter..a guess.. from 50 years back. :nilly:

The engines were centrifugally supercharged..Large supercharger mounted on the front of the engines. The engines ran at 1100 RPM..period. The screw was reversable pitch.

There was a "Soundproof Booth" at the front of the engine space that the enginemen stood watch in...to keep an eye on the engines.

Jacques Cousteau's... "Calypso" was a retired US Navy MSO.

I know most of you on this board have no interest in Navy stuff. I only post because I know you ALL have an interest in ENGINES. :nilly:

BUIZILLA
03-28-2010, 07:16 PM
I've seen several aluminum 6-71's...

at least one, if not two, 60's era offshore race boat had a pair...

there used to be a picture on the wall of Mike Gordon's restaurant that showed it, can't remember the boat's name though... a good friend of mine, Joe Callahan, used to wrench/ride on it sometimes when he worked for FDDA..

Cuda
03-28-2010, 11:03 PM
Dad was on a wooden minesweeper called the "Assurance" in Panama City. He was on it in Gitmo too. It was 154 feet long as I recall.

gcarter
03-29-2010, 07:14 AM
Speaking of minesweepers and Diesel engines, after WW-II, Packard built some turbo Diesel V-12 1700 CI non-magnetic engines. They were made largly of aluminum and the high load components were made from SST.

MOP
03-29-2010, 07:29 AM
There were quite a few aluminum 671's, I have seen them in older Hats and they were very common in buses. One one survey the engine guy said damn bus engines, they laid over at about 45 degrees so the cabin sole could be lower. I know the new stuff has come a long way but the 671 will survive for years to come. One small tug I worked on had a surplus 671 that had a lever on the side of the governor that you could (but we never did) flip, there was a brass plate marked with a battle position for higher RPM's. By the way that engine had about 5 psi oil pressure and just over 20,000 hours, but we never ran it over 1,600. She would do 8kts no load and 6kt pulling a loaded 80 foot dock building crane barge.

Cuda
03-29-2010, 07:39 AM
Were they built by Detroit Diesel?

DonziJon
03-29-2010, 08:48 AM
Speaking of minesweepers and Diesel engines, after WW-II, Packard built some turbo Diesel V-12 1700 CI non-magnetic engines. They were made largly of aluminum and the high load components were made from SST.

Apparently Ocean Minesweepers (MSO) were equipped with various power arrangements. Some had 4 engines driving two screws such as this one with the Packards you mentioned above.

http://www.navsource.org/archives/11/02422.htm

The minesweeper I went aboard had only Two V8s. I have no idea what make they were but some of the boats had Waukasha engines, others had Detroit Diesels...and some Packards.. sometimes in pairs or even four...always driving two screws. There didn't seem to be any consistancy even within Class.

I seem to remember the V8s I saw had Twin overhead cams per bank but I'm really foggy on that.

BUIZILLA
03-29-2010, 08:57 AM
a D348 Cat was a twin overhead cam on each bank V8, I think the D336 was the same way...

but if there was any aluminum on that engine(s), it surely was a mistake... LOL

DonziJon
03-29-2010, 09:00 AM
Dad was on a wooden minesweeper called the "Assurance" in Panama City. He was on it in Gitmo too. It was 154 feet long as I recall.

http://www.navsource.org/archives/11/02521.htm :wink:

handfulz28
03-29-2010, 01:13 PM
http://www.yachtsurvey.com/comparing_diesel_types.htm

Old article (1999) but a good bit of info for a diesel novice like myself.

Wow, Mike Gordon's...there's a blast from the past. :D One of my mom's friends dated him...this was in the late '70s probably.

BUIZILLA
03-29-2010, 01:25 PM
. One of my mom's friends dated him...this was in the late '70s probably. the father or the son? :popcorn:

handfulz28
03-29-2010, 02:38 PM
:popcorn:

Totally guessing, but figure she would've been in her 30s? Not sure if that helps. :D I was in elementary school so little to no recollection on my part. I remember eating/hanging out there, both by boat and car.

Cuda
04-04-2010, 06:15 PM
Dad said the Assurance was indeed 8 cyl Detroit Diesels that were wet sleeved. Ithink he said they were 8-92's,but I know they were wet sleeved for sure.
I thought we were stationed in Charleston when dad we to the Med, but we were in Panama City both times. We were in PC when he went to Gitmo on the Assurance also.

DonziJon
04-04-2010, 06:50 PM
Dad said the Assurance was indeed 8 cyl Detroit Diesels that were wet sleeved. Ithink he said they were 8-92's,but I know they were wet sleeved for sure.
I thought we were stationed in Charleston when dad we to the Med, but we were in Panama City both times. We were in PC when he went to Gitmo on the Assurance also.

I made two roundtrip tranatlantic crossings to the Med in Shenandoah as a Helmsman ..watchstander .http://www.navsource.org/archives/09/03/0326.htm At almost 500 feet....Always seemed to be in February or so. Winter in the North Atlantic is always a HOOT. Many of the guys found it ..Unpleasant...seasick. Crossing the Atlantic on a Minesweeper had to be even more unpleasent...........Let's just call it an Adventure. When your young......Those were the days..:yes:

Cuda
04-05-2010, 07:43 AM
I made two roundtrip tranatlantic crossings to the Med in Shenandoah as a Helmsman ..watchstander .http://www.navsource.org/archives/09/03/0326.htm At almost 500 feet....Always seemed to be in February or so. Winter in the North Atlantic is always a HOOT. Many of the guys found it ..Unpleasant...seasick. Crossing the Atlantic on a Minesweeper had to be even more unpleasent...........Let's just call it an Adventure. When your young......Those were the days..:yes:
My dad gets seasick easier than anyone I've ever seen. He said he'd be sick for the first two or three days. He said the worst mess he'd ever seen was coming back across the Pacific on some ship, transporting a bunch of Army men back. He said it was rough, and the grunts were puking like crazy. He said the head had one long urinal with seawater running through it constantly. Dad said there was puke everywhere. When the ship heeled to one side, the puke would go that way,hit the wall, and splash up all the way to the overhead.

Cuda
04-05-2010, 07:55 AM
My older brother was on a nuclear subtender, the Holland. He said they were in the North Sea once, taking 45 degree rolls, and had the 80 foot captains launch wash overboard, and it was five decks above waterline.
He said one time they were transporting troops back from Vietnam. A lot of the soldiers they transported back were shell shocked. My brother said some of the guys on the ship would sneak up behind them and pop a paper bag behind them. He said the soldiers would hit the deck, and try to dig through the metal deck to make a foxhole. My brother didn't do that, and he didn't like the guys that did it to the soldiers. My brother was the last person that belonged in the military. He still can't stand anyone to tell him what to do. The military isn't the place to be if you don't like being told what to do. The Navy didn't ask him to re-up!:)

DonziJon
04-05-2010, 09:24 AM
That's what breakfast, lunch and dinner was called. Noon chow on the first day at sea was always spaghetti. It was Easy for the cooks to make....everybody liked it, and and it was Easy to swallow....and it came up just as easy. Always a big hit. :nilly:

Cuda
04-05-2010, 10:24 AM
Dad was asked if he had a strong stomach. He said yes. He could puke as far as anyone! :)