PDA

View Full Version : european travel/car rental

zelatore
03-22-2010, 02:32 PM
In a couple weeks I'll be heading to europe for the first time. Seems Michele decided that as long as I was, ah, 'flexible' with work she'd go ahead and trade our timeshare out for anything she could get. She got Austria, so we'll be staying a little south of Salzburg.

Actually, we're flying into Milan on the 8th for a couple days (she's got an office there and will be doing a little work), then on to Austria, then we fly back out of Munich via Amsterdam.

Since I didn't pick Austria, I have no idea what we're going to do there. And she's not exactly helping here, only saying 'there will be plenty to do'.

I've done some reading and whatnot, but all you get from tourist stuff is 'go see this museum and that church'. That's all well and good, and I'm sure we'll do more than enough of that, but I'm really not all that into art. I'm more interested in getting out and seeing the country. And that means driving. In the Alps. :yes: But who want's to do that in a crappy car?

So does anybody have a good suggestoin for renting a decent car? I'm guessing everything is set up about like it is here - you can't reserve a specific car. You get 'Car XYZ or similar'. In other words, you get whatever crapwagon they have on the lot.

I'd like to rent an Alfa, given the chance. A 159 or Brera would do just fine thank you (even though I know any rental will be the bottom feeder version). If not an Alfa, then something I wouldn't be able to drive here in the states. Or at the very least something that will be fun in the mountains.

Not looking for a big car - a Mini Cooper S would work size-wise. But again, I'd rather get something I can't get over here.

I'm also assuming it won't be feasable to rent a car in Milan then drop it off at Munich. I'm guessing rent something small/interesting (Fiat 500?) in Milan for 2 days, then take the train (boo!) to Salzburg and get a car there, then at the end take a train from Salzburg to Munich.

So basically, I'm going off on a what should be an amazing trip with basically no idea what I'm going to do other than try to get in some interesting driving.

I need some ideas here guys!

(oh, one plan I do have - I'll try to visit the Alfa museum just outside Milan)

BUIZILLA
03-22-2010, 03:13 PM
I was in Salzburg in July 1967

not that anyone cares..

mike o
03-22-2010, 04:03 PM
Just a suggeston....... My wife and I did something like this. We where kind-da wiped from the jet lag the first day. We landed at 7AM "their" time flying out of Boston. We jumped on the train to Venice, it 3-4hr's I think. That place you WILL like and so will your Gal.:yes: You get off the train right at the canal. No car need, we spent 4 days there. Then we took the train to Salisburg, stay over, then to Munich for 2 days. Maybe you could pick up a auto in Venice and drive over the alps to Austria???? My wife's in the travel biz. Ill ask her about fun car rentals..... You wont regret going to Venice.

CJmike
03-22-2010, 04:19 PM
http://www.eliterent.com/en/fleet-car_rental

http://www.autoeurope.com/luxury.cfm

http://www.europcar.com/

Heres a couple of found just looking quickly

Euro 95
03-22-2010, 04:22 PM
If it's all about cars you might like the volkswagen factory tour followed by a visit to the guys in Hamburg :boat:
Just pretend you took the wrong exit to munich :wink:

CHACHI
03-22-2010, 04:23 PM
..... You wont regret going to Venice.

Can't drive in Venice, the streets are wet. I thought Venice had too many pidgeons.

If you can make it, go to Maranello, just south of Modena (buy some balsamic vinegar and go find Via Donzi), that's were the Ferrari factory, museum, and lets not forget, the F-1 practice track which is oh, 50 feet or so from the edge of the road to the fence is.

You can't get a tour of the factory, at least you couldn't 4 years ago, but the sound of your every day Ferrari driver going up and down the main drag is nirvana.

Don't even get me started about the food.

Ken

mike o
03-22-2010, 04:48 PM
Can't drive in Venice, the streets are wet. I thought Venice had too many pidgeons.

If you can make it, go to Maranello, just south of Modena (buy some balsamic vinegar and go find Via Donzi), that's were the Ferrari factory, museum, and lets not forget, the F-1 practice track which is oh, 50 feet or so from the edge of the road to the fence is.

You can't get a tour of the factory, at least you couldn't 4 years ago, but the sound of your every day Ferrari driver going up and down the main drag is nirvana.

Don't even get me started about the food.

Ken:drive:....... H20 Taxi's:kingme:

Tidbart
03-22-2010, 05:47 PM
For things to do, go to Barnes and Noble, look for books by Rick Steeves on the locations you will be going. He is super knowledgeable and has an off-the-beaten track mentality. Knows good deals on hotels, places to eat, and has great ideas on how to stay away from the tourists.

As for cars, you can rent and drop off in different locations. I did it but returned in the same country, different city. Picked it up in Paris, drove through Switzerland and Italy and dropped off in Lyon, France. Then took the TGV back to Paris. I would look for a small diesel as fuel costs are high over there. BTW, if you get a gas car, gasoil is diesel. Don't get them mixed.:bonk:

Pick a good route north out of Milan and go over the Alps. Coolest drive I've ever taken. You will love it. Bring a camera.

Bob

Tidbart
03-22-2010, 06:00 PM
Little more... Rent a car for the drive and get rid of it. It would cost you about $100 day plus fuel but it is fun to drive. You don't need a car in most of Europe. Buses, trains, funiculars, lifts, etc. Very easy to get around and very timely, except in Italy.

B

zelatore
03-22-2010, 07:46 PM
No Venice this trip; she was just there last year.

We actually have all the Rick Steves' Europe dvds. I think Michele got them for donating to the local PBS station a couple years ago. I've been watching them, but mostly he seems to concentrate on the local art. I'm more interested in the outdoors. Our timing may be an issue though as we're not going in the winter season or the summer season. Not that we're skiers, but we do like to snowshoe and hike.

I did pick up a book called '25 great drives in northern Italy' or something, but it was more about 'drive here to see this, then drive there and see that'. More about the destination than the journey. Unfortunatly, most of the tourist info I've found is that way.

I did however come across this site to get some inspiration:
www.alpineroads.com (http://www.alpineroads.com)
It's for bikes, but that should be just fine. I did make sure to check the bike section of my international driver's license even though I'm not planning to rent a bike. After all, you never know.

Sadly, as for the food, I just don't care much. At least Austria is mostly a 'meat and potatoes' sort of country. And beer. I should be able to get by just fine, although I'm certainly not expecting to be wowed by the food. It's just not my thing.

At this point I'm probably not going to book a car in Milan. I do expect to need one to get out to the Alfa museum and/or whatever else I find. I know everybody says the trains are wonderful, but I'm not going to Europe without driving something interesting! I think I'll just walk the rental stands at the airport and try to find an interesting small city car like an Alfa MiTo or Fiat 500 for the couple days I'm there, then train it up to Salzburg where Sixt shows an Alfa Brera for about $800/week.

Hmmmm....google says Bologna is only a couple hours from Milan. And there's a little place called Modena along the way. I might be able to find something to do in one of those towns I suppose...

gcarter
03-22-2010, 08:04 PM
Top Gear tested a "new" Fiat 500 retro styled car, something like a Mini. In fact they liked it more than a Mini. It looked to me like an ideal rental, nice and roomy, good performance and very economical.
I didn't like Venice. Smelly after a high tide, VERY expensive.....it just wasn't worth the investment.
I really enjoyed Austria. It reminded me of Germany on a budget. In fact, that's where many Germans go on vacation.

Tidbart
03-22-2010, 08:21 PM
Austria, check out the Eagle's Nest if it is open.

Michi Besler
03-23-2010, 08:52 AM
try blueboxrent in Salzburg http://www.blueboxrent.com, they have everything
from Fiat 500 Abartth to Lamborghini Murcielago LP 640, and they have an office in Munich to.

mike o
03-23-2010, 08:59 AM
http://www.motorcycle.com/specs/bmw/sport-touring.html...........:yes:,:kingme:

BUIZILLA
03-23-2010, 10:19 AM
my brother in law used this group 3 or 4 different years

always new equipment every year

Motorcycle Tours – Worldwide – Edelweiss Bike Travel (http://www.edelweissbike.com/)

The Hedgehog
03-23-2010, 08:06 PM
I picked up a car in Innsbruck and dropped in Munich. It was not a big deal. I used Avis. Things got kind of screwed up and I got triple billed. Avis America struggled with the Euro guys too and then ended up refunding the incorrect portion. The point of the matter is to book it here in case things gets screwed up.

I went to Milan. It was not my thing so I bolted for Switzerland. That is a Hedge fav visiting spot. I hear that Salzburg is great. Innsbruck is cool. I drove over to see the Krimml waterfall. That is a nice half day hike with amazing scenery. It is one of the world's top waterfalls. Munich is one of Hedge's favorite beer drinking spots.

I flew out of Amsterdam too. Not without stopping for a few days. Another Hedge top party spots. Obviously.

You will have a great time.

BUIZILLA
03-23-2010, 08:10 PM
I remember wayyyyyyy too much about Amsterdam...

The Hedgehog
03-23-2010, 08:48 PM
I remember wayyyyyyy too much about Amsterdam...

I would not expect anything less.:shocking:

Bamboo Loui
03-27-2010, 11:38 AM
You didn't really mention how much time you have to play while you are there? Being in salzburg is pretty good because you can take the Austrian route over the Alps in a few places and visit Numerous towns and villages in Austria, Swiss, and southern bavaria. I heard you when you said you were not too into the museums and such, but if you were to have a car instead of taking the train, I think you would have much more fun. Trains are expensive there-- I think as expensive or nearly so as driving a car-- but the freeedom with the car is worth a little extra. When picking your car, I do recomend NOT getting rear drive car like the Mercedes or BMWs-- they suck in the mountains--- the roads are often wet so traction is important when you are not used to the roads. The trip you've described is very driveable--- distance from Milan to Innsbruck then Salzburg is pretty short- will probably surprize you. Same with the trip to Munich-- but what is cool is that the driving options near the Alps is really fantastic. And-- if you do fit in a castles they are located on beautiful roads near the mountains or by lakes and such. stopping in villages for a beer and some food as you drive is an experience- casual, good food, and fun break while driving. Have a great trip.

zelatore
03-27-2010, 01:14 PM
After looking into the price of trains from Milan to Salzburg and again from Salzburg to Munich, we decided to chuck that plan and just get a car for the whole time. Since I can't reserve a specific car in advance I'm just going to go from desk to desk at the Milan airport until I find something interesting at a decent rate. I'll check some pricing on-line in advance so I have an idea, but I'd rather spend a few bucks extra by renting on the spot vs booking in advance and finding out they've switched the Alfa 159 I was expecting for a Chevy Cruze or something "similar".

All good info Loui, except for the fwd part. In that regard, I'll take an Alfa _despite_ the front wheel drive if I have the choice, but otherwise I'd much rather have rwd!

I haven't planned my driving routes yet, but I'll work that up sometime in the next week or two. I originally thought I'd go straight north into Switzerland then east toward Salzburg, but I'm thinking I might head east sooner and go through the Dolomites. I've been reading good things about that area's roads.

Heck, I suspect you can't drive 3 miles in that area without coming to great roads. I'm sure I'll find my share.

Ed Donnelly
03-27-2010, 04:01 PM
Or; drive 7 hrs from Munich to Hamburg and bum a ride in a Donzi or a really nice
Italian car...Just saying.............Ed

Bamboo Loui
03-27-2010, 05:27 PM
if you ever want some trip routes I have taken --- just let me know--- but I did do the church, castle thing the most because of the roads in between -- I have been there like 60 times. I used to work for a company in Munich. There is no way I can give you the routes or trips that the
professionals can-------- but I have spent allot of time there.

too bad you are not going top the Slavic countries--- super nice people-- I mean really nice and they love Americans-- but there is no way to take a car there-- or at least there wasn't the last time I was there.
But really--- both sides of the German, Austrian, Italian, Swiss Alps is just beautiful.
Weird thing is all countries along these Alps can be seen in a day or two.

Have fun

oledawg
03-27-2010, 06:24 PM
Do what works for you, but for 20+ years I traveled in Europe on business 3-4 times a year, mostly in Italy, France, and Germany. Always rented a car from here via Hertz or Avis, always got a good car, usually a 5 series BMW, and absolutely would recommend having the freedom to go where you want to go, when you want to go. Never used an "international" drivers license, actually there is no such thing officially. Always used AmEx and was covered on my insurance and AmEx. Do learn the rules of the road, very different than here, especially in the towns. Parking can bite you if not careful. Did often rent in one city and turn in another, but need to tell rental company up front. Most rentals are diesels and are manuals. Actually did get an Alfa in the same category as a 5 bimmer once, awesome car. Northern Italy is my favorite ( not Milan, it is an industrial city ), lots of great towns and lakes. Black Forest area of Germany is good. Lived in Paris for a couple of years to end up my career, hard to beat that city. Whatever you do, do the homework, make a plan, but then be flexible. :cool!:

zelatore
03-27-2010, 07:16 PM
Loui, thanks for the offer - I'd love to hear some 'preferred routes' from someone who's been there, done that. It's not that I don't expect to do some of the castles/churches/museums, just that I figured she would cover that part. There seems to be no shortage of fine architecture in the area to choose from.

Flexible is the key - we haven't put a plan together and she doesn't really want to. Which has been driving me crazy, because I just know I'll get back home and learn I was just 5 minutes away from some must-see attraction that I just missed out of ignorance. But we're finally getting back into the swing of things and starting to form a basic plan.

oldawg, you're right of course, the 'international driver's licence' is really just a document that translates your existing license into about 10 languages. Michele's been to Spain and Italy and never got one before. But for $15 at AAA I figured I might as well get it. If it helps avoid some problem down the road, it was money well spent. As for the rental, I was glad to see that most were manuals. As for the diesel, I think I'll try to find a gas car for this situation. I like the idea of diesels for a commuter and we might get one for our next car here, but for a sporting drive, I'll try to stick with gas.

oledawg
03-27-2010, 07:28 PM
Just remember that most European diesels perform as well or better than the gas engines offered. Wouldn't get hung up on that, and if you are driving a lot, the diesel fuel is MUCH cheaper, unlike in the US, and will get you much better mileage. And, one thing about Germany that most do not realize is that on the autobahn there are not many place where you can go as fast as you want anymore, just way too much traffic. In fact in most of Europe the max speed on the "interstates" is 130 kph dry, 110 wet, and they will definitely give you a photo ticket that will show up on your rental car bill. Ain't cheap either, learned that one by personal experience. You can run, but you can't hide! On what car you get, look at the rental literature and pick a class of car, but just like in the US, when you get to the counter ask what they actually have, and see if there are upgrades, just like in the US, if you get a good agent, they will make you very happy! :cool!:

oledawg
03-27-2010, 07:30 PM
Forgot one thing, you also can request GPS with some car companies, which as here, is a godsend at times.:cool!:

Bamboo Loui
03-28-2010, 10:57 AM
Forgot one thing, you also can request GPS with some car companies, which as here, is a godsend at times.:cool!:

I couldn't agree more with the GPS-- I was always on the upscale when renting cars and would almost always have the gps-- life saver when in Munich or any large city-but really helpful when out in the country as well. I understand the desire for the Alpha-- beautiful cars. My only thought was the BMWs and Mercedes hae like zero traction on wet mountain roads which takes away allot of potential fun-- a smaller car will come with a smaller engine-- not that it is a bad thing, they can be a ton of fun. The Alphas I have been in were pretty cool, even the desiel cars--lots more power than cars here.
Your plan of going east than up to Swiss is good-- from there you do have a ton of options.
Oledawgs suggestion re the traffic laws--very good and pay attention- cameras are now the norm and they will nail you, his mention of Autobahn speeds is spot on as well -- but a Sunday drive from Garmish to Munich is pretty clear and you can--or should be able to enjoy some speed at times, where as the direct route from Salzburg to Munich is pretty busy, hence slower.
I'll put together a few suggestions from places I went to-- I missed seeing Eaglesnest and am sorry I did, but you just cannot see everything in one trip. since you are doing the alps- you'll bring back tons of memories-- Heck you may even come back singing the theme song from the "Sound of Music" :wink::shocking: