PDA

View Full Version : Replacing manifolds with headers

scottyp
03-22-2010, 08:45 AM
I have a 1988 18' Classic with a 2003 Indmar 350 sb in it, I want to replace the existing manifold system with a set of headers. I would like to get a set of CMI's but they are out of my price range. Anyone know of of a quality manufacturer of headers that are less costly, don't have to worry about water reversion, and comes with brackets for oil pump. etc. Thanks.

BUIZILLA
03-22-2010, 08:54 AM
I have a 1988 18' Classic with a 2003 Indmar 350 sb in it, I want to replace the existing manifold system with a set of headers. I would like to get a set of CMI's but they are out of my price range. Anyone know of of a quality manufacturer of headers that are less costly, don't have to worry about water reversion, and comes with brackets for oil pump. etc. Thanks. Lightning maybe....
not sure they make an oil PUMP bracket though.. :wink:

VetteLT193
03-22-2010, 09:29 AM
If you aren't set on the header look SM makes a long stainless riser as does Eddie Marine. I know for sure the EMI's dump at the very end of the tail so reversion isn't an issue.

As Buiz said lightning makes them. I didn't like them personally because they are only stainless on the inside. the outside tube is steel. They are still over $2k+ a set.

The Hedgehog
03-22-2010, 09:45 PM
Lightning maybe....
not sure they make an oil PUMP bracket though.. :wink:

Yep. If you are staying in fresh water they are a good product. They make the double SS too but they come at a price.

MOP
03-23-2010, 09:54 AM
Party Pooper!

Unless you plan on HP mods to your engine where it needs to breath headers are nothing more then bling, on stock engine the truth sayers will tell you 0 gain performance and in fact can hurt performance in certain RPM ranges.

Planetwarmer
03-23-2010, 09:29 PM
All that you need is new heads, a new cam, a new intake, and a computer re-map to go with those headers. Oh, and a new prop to get something out of your new power.

Planetwarmer
03-23-2010, 09:32 PM
It will sound better (louder) with new headers if nothing else.

The Hedgehog
03-24-2010, 11:00 PM
Party Pooper!

Unless you plan on HP mods to your engine where it needs to breath headers are nothing more then bling, on stock engine the truth sayers will tell you 0 gain performance and in fact can hurt performance in certain RPM ranges.

Easy now Phil. We all know that more bling and noise is good for a few more mph.:nilly:

But on the actual performance thing.....well you are right! I could not really tell if I had a little more snap or was it the sound that made my throttle response better.

Now add some cam, heads and the rest....well it helps. Just a blower? Not so much.

Planetwarmer
03-25-2010, 12:19 AM
:smileybo: Add these! More fun than headers!