PDA

View Full Version : Non-Skid Paint?

Barry Eller
03-21-2010, 08:15 AM
I'm thinking I would like Non-Skid on my cockpit floor. My carpet is fine, but I would like to be able to use my boat without the carpet sometimes. Can it be rolled on? Anyone have experience with it?:confused:

jg480
03-21-2010, 12:08 PM
Tim from Great Lakes Marine did my floor in non skid. I believe he used single stage concept, then sprinkled in the non skid while the paint was still wet. Vaccum up the excess after dry. Then follow with two more coats of paint. Using a roller. You can PM Great Lakes Marine for more details.
Jim

realbold
03-21-2010, 02:00 PM
You can do the same with a 2 part urethane for a more durable finish and if you dont want it shiny add a flattening agent. For a neater look tape around seat bases, hatches, etc when adding the non skid.

jg480
03-21-2010, 02:40 PM
PPG Concept is a two part polyurethane. By single stage I meant base coat only. Not base coat / clearcoat.

Cuda
03-21-2010, 02:49 PM
You can get an aggragate, I think it's called Sharkskin from any Sherwin Williams dealer, and mix in whatever paint you want. I put down this stuff called Grizzly Grip, which just rolls on. It comes in coarse or non coarse finish. It's about like Rhino finish.

I get it from Midwest Chemicals in Orlando.

VetteLT193
03-22-2010, 07:03 AM
You can roll Imron or Awlgrip with a non skid additive.

The cockpit of our old Viking was done in Imron. It was not as aggressive as the factory stuff but cleaned up quicker.

The key is the prep. carefully taping off all the areas you don't want non skidded (like around the outsides and around the floor hatch).

The biggest issue you will have is color matching. The new whites are bright and the older white gel coats were not really white in comparison.

VetteLT193
03-22-2010, 07:05 AM
oh... if you decide to go this route, I strongly suggest rolling out a couple of samples. Try different amounts of additive. Try the grip of them AND try to get them dirty and clean them. There is a fine line of cleanable Vs. grippy. If it's too grippy they tend to be impossible to clean. Not grippy enough and you'll have just enough grip to have a false sense of security.

DonziJon
03-22-2010, 06:46 PM
Some sprinkle on Non Skid may be Offensive (harsh) to some Bare Feet. You have to rest your heels on the non skid while you are sitting there...rockin and rollin at speed. The stuff I have seen on big boats (Offshore Sail) is like sandpaper. Just a thought. John

realbold
03-23-2010, 07:18 PM
Some other products I've been considering:
https://www.durabakstore.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=6

http://www.grizzlygrip.com/

shipwreck
03-24-2010, 11:59 AM
Awl grip sells a "griptex" and it comes in course or fine. YOu can add that to your paint or gel coat and spray it for a factory look.
it isnt that aggressive so it waont be that hard on you feet. if you would like to know how to apply let me know an i can talk you through it. I use it in gel mostly but have done it in paints as well. by spraying it you can get it uniform.

mrfixxall
03-24-2010, 12:11 PM
do you really need to do the whole inside of the boat? what id you don't like it? you can also try this stuff and lay it in stripe's.http://www.grippytape.com/H20_GRIP_TAPES.asp

OFFSHORE GINGER
03-24-2010, 12:40 PM
I have done non skid using Awlgrip ,Imron ,and Jell before using a roller . :cool:

Barry Eller
03-25-2010, 07:00 AM
Hey guys, look over this product. I like the idea of being able to roll or brush the areas I want non-skid on. I would be masking off the areas/patches where it would be applied.It is avaliable in white or cream...I'm thinking cream.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/81144/377%20710/0/non%20skid%20paint/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377 710&Ne=0&Ntt=non skid paint&Ntk=Primary Search&Ntx=mode matchallpartial&Nao=0&Ns=0&keyword=non skid paint&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=44&subdeptNum=10892&classNum=10892

VetteLT193
03-25-2010, 07:56 AM
the cream is more yellow on this one. the white probably won't be white enough.

I wouldn't use it on my boat but to each his own. I would much rather get the grip to my liking and get the color right so it looks factory. The difficulty of rolling awlgrip is not up there. You could use Perfection in the same manner as an off the shelf product. Perfection comes in 5 or 6 different whites so you can get it really close off the shelf. From what I read Perfection is like a baby Awlgrip. same stuff just ready to go for the average user.

Jamestowndistributors.com is the best resource I have found for information on this type of task...

I would go with option 2 on this link... http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/document.do?docId=304 using perfection.

ROTYDE
03-26-2010, 12:52 AM
Why not spray Rhino lining on it...:boat:

thehow33
03-26-2010, 08:34 AM
Why not spray Rhino lining on it...:boat:

great idea, it would be custom and definitely a one and only. :confused: