PDA

View Full Version : 02 18C 6.2 1st real test dive

mike o
03-20-2010, 04:17 PM
Early ice out here (yesterday) in NH on my lake :crossfing:. Air temp 50, water temp 35, So inspired by Foggy with his cold weather boating:yes:, I when for a rip in the 18C :kingme:. Totally different animal than my 95 16 4.3. A lot heavier and naturally more power.:kingme: Gonna be fun getting a handle on this baby:wink:. I have to shorten my Bennet trim tab stops, they are neutral. So, should I either cut them down (somehow(?)) :wrench::wrench::wrench:or buy new shorter stops? :cool!::cool!::cool!:. THX'S

CHACHI
03-20-2010, 06:13 PM
Mike, glad you had a nice ride.

I am still a good month out.

How was the water temp gauge, thermostat working?

Ken

mrfixxall
03-20-2010, 06:14 PM
Early ice out here (yesterday) in NH on my lake :crossfing:. Air temp 50, water temp 35, So inspired by Foggy with his cold weather boating:yes:, I when for a rip in the 18C :kingme:. Totally different animal than my 95 16 4.3. A lot heavier and naturally more power.:kingme: Gonna be fun getting a handle on this baby:wink:. I have to shorten my Bennet trim tab stops, they are neutral. So, should I either cut them down (somehow(?)) :wrench::wrench::wrench:or buy new shorter stops? :cool!::cool!::cool!:. THX'S

you can redrill the holes in the tabs and move the base of the rams back a little so they are higher..

BUIZILLA
03-20-2010, 06:18 PM
10 minutes to cut the rams :wrench:

farmer tx
03-20-2010, 06:37 PM

Shafts!

gcarter
03-20-2010, 06:40 PM
Congratulations on the 18!

mike o
03-20-2010, 07:49 PM
:kingme:Ken the temp was 170-180. I'm gonna need so help with the surgery. Or can just get the shorter stops. No wires with these tabs. So do I remove the 3 screws that hold the top hinge to the transom and unscrew the cap. Is that where the stop is, in the top cap? I aint got a glue..........:yes:,,,,,,,:kingme:. 10 mins :wrench:, I can make us a couple of drinks in 10 mins:kingme:. R - ya coming to the Dust off.......:cool!: Ill bring the blade:yes: and mixers.:wink: Thx's Mr.C

fogducker III
03-21-2010, 10:15 AM
Good to hear you got out Mike, I went out yesterday with Glenn (Yeller) had a good day although I think he is missing his boat being across the "pond" in Vancouver.....:frown:

What kind of numbers did you get with the 6.2? Prop?

RedDog
03-21-2010, 11:12 AM

this is what you do - http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28750&highlight=modify+trim+tab

mike o
03-21-2010, 04:05 PM
this is what you do - http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28750&highlight=modify+trim+tabThank you sir, I did read this, however one instruction link no longer works. Just wanted to make sure. A nice Fella did send me some pic's today of this procedure:wink:. Foggy, mirage + 25p with a little ding. It was kinda choppy and with the cold water :eek: and alone:eek: high 60's lots with lots chine walk. So only for a short while. Love the power, Next time Im gonna try the laser II 25P...... :yes: when another nice weather window opens......:crossfing:

MOP
03-21-2010, 06:02 PM
Sounds great Mike, chilly but thrilling! When you cut the stops leave the tops screwed to the transom, take them loose from the tab and screw the barrel loose from the top. You will need new O rings!!! Get them ahead of time!

Phil

RedDog
03-21-2010, 06:41 PM
Sounds great Mike, chilly but thrilling! When you cut the stops leave the tops screwed to the transom, take them loose from the tab and screw the barrel loose from the top. You will need new O rings!!! Get them ahead of time!

Phil

for what its worth, when I did my '90 model 18 and my '98 model 22, I didn't do anything with the o-rings.

Maybe I was lucky, but I didn't know that was a concern

mike o
03-22-2010, 10:49 AM
I might have to quiet this boat down just a bit for the local po-po. These tips have metal flappers with no plastic on the edges inside that are tad noisy at idle. Im looking at rex marine slip-ins. These tip are short. If I cut out the flappers and slide in the slip in's... Is it ok for the slip in's to be inside the rubber exhaust hose some? And the shifter is a little stiff. A wee bit of lube somewhere fix this maybe? Thanks.........

fogducker III
03-22-2010, 11:24 AM
Mike, I have been really impressed with the Gil muffler/tips I have. Nice sound at idle and not loud, but when you open her up the "growl" comes alive.

With your stiff shift, some throttle/control levers have a tension adjustment, usually a set screw set-up.....:confused:

MOP
03-22-2010, 11:27 AM
Red Dog is right good chance you will get away with reusing the Orings, but you never know! If you cut out the flaps you should put a set of Salisbury rubber flappers on the outside, not good to go without flappers you can get water up the pipes and ruin your day! To find out which cable it sticky, disconnect the shifter cable at the converter move the lever if it id free it is the drive cable. Assuming it is a Bravo if the drive cable is stiff replace as soon as possible, you can fry the cone if it does not fully engage.

Phil

mike o
03-22-2010, 11:43 AM
I have the stock corsa tips with the salisbury rubber flappers that were removed, so I have them in a box. Foggy, the Gills are nice. I just wondered if I went with just the Rex metal slip ins, is it ok if 2-3" of them are ok inside the rubber exhaust hose? So, I dont have to remove the pictured tips maybe:crossfing:. If not then I gotta go tip shopping and will check out the gills.

MOP
03-22-2010, 11:49 AM
I have the stock corsa tips with the salisbury rubber flappers that were removed, so I have them in a box. Foggy, the Gills are nice. I just wondered if I went with just the Rex metal slip ins, is it ok if 2-3" of them are ok inside the rubber exhaust hose? So, I dont have to remove the pictured tips maybe:crossfing:. If not then I gotta go tip shopping and will check out the gills.

Having the inserts in the hose should not be an issue they fit pretty tight in the tubes I doubt they move around any. Did you read my post about your cable.

mike o
03-22-2010, 12:11 PM
Having the inserts in the hose should not be an issue they fit pretty tight in the tubes I doubt they move around any. Did you read my post about your cable.Yes Sir, I just did, It is a Bravo. Its only stiff in and out of gear. This boat was only used once last summer and has very low hr's for a 02......:cool!:

osur866
03-22-2010, 03:23 PM
Mike, glad to here you got out I was planning on getting out this weekend but ole' man winter decided to dump a foot of snow friday :confused:. Steve

mike o
03-22-2010, 03:38 PM
Mike, glad to here you got out I was planning on getting out this weekend but ole' man winter decided to dump a foot of snow friday :confused:. SteveIm buying you a drink R-2.........:yes: R-3 :alligator 6.2L 18C, Bro......:kingme:

osur866
03-23-2010, 12:16 AM
The 6.2 bravo is a very solid package one that you will be able to enjoy turn key until ya have the urge to tinker ;) start with shortening up those trim tab stops. Steve

MOP
03-23-2010, 10:02 AM
Yes Sir, I just did, It is a Bravo. Its only stiff in and out of gear. This boat was only used once last summer and has very low hr's for a 02......:cool!:

Good chance it will free up with warmer weather, if it does not change it. A lot less expensive then a cone job.

mike o
03-30-2010, 11:39 AM
I might have to quiet this boat down just a bit for the local po-po. These tips have metal flappers with no plastic on the edges inside that are tad noisy at idle. Im looking at rex marine slip-ins. These tip are short. If I cut out the flappers and slide in the slip in's... Is it ok for the slip in's to be inside the rubber exhaust hose some? And the shifter is a little stiff. A wee bit of lube somewhere fix this maybe? Thanks......... Id like to have an option to easily remove them. Thx's