PDA

View Full Version : Turning off the mouse pad

Cuda
03-20-2010, 02:27 PM
How can I turn off the mouse pad on my laptop? I know I've done it before. It is a Compaq Pressario M2108US.

DonziJon
03-20-2010, 03:01 PM
Click Start/Control Panel/Device Manager..and look for "Mice and other pointing devices" and disable it there. John

Cuda
03-20-2010, 03:50 PM
Click Start/Control Panel/Device Manager..and look for "Mice and other pointing devices" and disable it there. John
I tried that. :(

DonziJon
03-20-2010, 06:35 PM
CUDA: You're are driving me crazy. Why do you want to "Turn Off" the Mouse Pad..?? I am assuming "Mouse Pad" means the "touch pad" below the keyboard on your laptop..?? Do you want to use a separate Mouse with your laptop..?? :nilly: Just wondering. John

Cuda
03-20-2010, 07:21 PM
CUDA: You're are driving me crazy. Why do you want to "Turn Off" the Mouse Pad..?? I am assuming "Mouse Pad" means the "touch pad" below the keyboard on your laptop..?? Do you want to use a separate Mouse with your laptop..?? :nilly: Just wondering. John
Yes, I have a separate mouse. I get my palms on the mouse pad when I try to type on it. It's very irritating. I just had XP reinstalled, and I added 512 megs of RAM. I know I had it off before. I called my brother, and he didn't remember.

DonziJon
03-20-2010, 07:37 PM
OK: I get it now. I don't know why you hav'nt been able turn OFF the "Touch Pad" in Device Manager and turn ON the external mouse in the same place. Maybe you need a Driver for the external mouse. I'm no expert with computers. Maybe someone else can weigh in. John

Cuda
03-20-2010, 10:08 PM
The mouse is working. I'm using it right now.

Ghost
03-21-2010, 12:00 AM
Just an unverified stab, but a quick Google search turned up this:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080213205647AARi3gh

txtaz
03-21-2010, 01:09 PM
Joe, I don't have XP anymore but you should be able to get to it from control panel. In the device settings you can disable it. You can't disable in device manager if memory serves me correct.

IF you really are stumped, write down the mouse pad maker/type and go to regedit and search for it. It should have a key value that is obvious to set the enable/disable. BE CAREFULL.

Cuda
03-22-2010, 05:29 PM
I've given up, and just put a rag over the mouse pad.

gonzojessie
03-25-2010, 10:39 PM
Kinda like putting tape over the flashing clock on the front of the VCR, I like it!

Cuda
03-26-2010, 06:24 PM
Joe, I don't have XP anymore but you should be able to get to it from control panel. In the device settings you can disable it. You can't disable in device manager if memory serves me correct.
IF you really are stumped, write down the mouse pad maker/type and go to regedit and search for it. It should have a key value that is obvious to set the enable/disable. BE CAREFULL.

The mouse pad is an itegral part of the laptop. The first thing I did was go under Contol Panel to diable it. My brother doesn't remember, but he told me how to disable it years ago.

Cuda
03-26-2010, 06:26 PM
Kinda like putting tape over the flashing clock on the front of the VCR, I like it!
I took it a step farther.................I unpluged the VCR. :)

Schnook
04-08-2010, 07:13 PM
Try one of the F keys at the top of your keyboard. Mine's a Toshiba and I hit 'Fn' 'F9' to turn my touchpad on and off.

Cuda
04-29-2010, 11:08 AM
The mousepad is still on. The rag over it is quite bothersome. :(

MOP
04-29-2010, 07:59 PM
Joe maybe something here will help, it is general instructions for HP Compaq laptops! I did some poking around the HP Compaq blogs! Turn off the touchpad Most HP notebooks come with an on/off button near the touchpad. If you do not wish to use the touchpad at this time, press this button. Press it again when you wish to use this accessory again. If the notebook does not have an on/off button for the touchpad, touch and hold the top-left corner of the touchpad for approximately 5 seconds to disable it and do this again to activate it. When the touchpad is disabled, a small light will illuminate on the touchpad and an icon will appear briefly of the touchpad with a line through it. When the touchpad is activated, a small light will turn off on the touchpad and an icon will appear briefly of the touchpad. Alternatively, if the notebook does not have an on/off button for the touchpad, and you wish to turn the touchpad off, open the Mouse Properties window, select the Device Settings tab, and click the Disable button. You may re-enable the touchpad from here at any point. To learn more about using the Synaptics touchpad commands, see HP Notebook PCs - Using Multi-Touch Touchpad . I also found these: Press FN+F3 also try FN+F5 You should have an FN key lower left!