PDA

View Full Version : 22C: Tank and Bimini

Funboy
03-17-2010, 07:48 AM
Continuing my research on ordering a new 22C. If the tank is only 55 gallons +/- and I estimate that a 496 has a fuel burn of 8-12 gph est. you have to be at the fuel dock every 5 hours or so. Seems like you need a long dock line to it. Am I off?
Has anyone ordered a larger capacity tank or 2 tanks? Will this comprimise the structural integrity of the hull?
Lastly some of my planned boating is in FL. To avoid being continuously
broiled I am planning on a bimini for some protection. Does anyone have pictures or a design?
Thanks,
Funboy

Ranman
03-17-2010, 08:19 AM
For the fuel capacity, look at it in terms of range. Not sure of the fuel burnof the 22C, but I can tell you my 27' Formula with 2 X 350MAGs burns about 18GPH @ 30MPH. My tank is 110 gals. So with a full tank, I can cruise at 30MPH for 6.11 hours or 183.3 miles before I run out (120 miles to be safe if you use the 33/33/33 rule for boating.

If your Donzi 496 numbers are right, your 8-12GPH will be at about 40MPH cruise. 55 gallons will get you 4.6 - 6.9 hours or 184 - 276 miles. Plenty of boating between fuel stops.

As for the bimini, use good sun block. :wink:

axelkloehn
03-17-2010, 08:45 AM
like this (not my boat, nice dogs by the way ;-))?

.................................................. ...............

VetteLT193
03-17-2010, 10:31 AM
I think MOP has added a 2nd tank. The 55 is enough though in my opinion. The boat just isn't big enough to cruise all day long without stopping. A 22 classic is kind of like a Harley. you go from place to place. A long run might be 50 miles... get out, stretch, fill up if you need to, etc.

Bimini's depend on area. I grew up on the East coast and there were few days that I wanted a Bimini. Now that I am in North Florida we have many days where there is zero breeze and 90+ degrees. We melt in the sun.

Another option instead of a Bimini is an Anchor shade. That is only good to use while stopped but it may work just find depending on your boating area / needs.

Cuda
03-17-2010, 12:28 PM
Catch went almost 100 miles with his stock tank, and he drove it like he stole it all day. He ran out just as we were getting to the channel to the docks. :)

Good call Jimmy! :)

Cuda
03-17-2010, 12:31 PM
I bought an anchor shade. I took it on my Formula, as well as my Donzi's. I never used it once. I'm not much for anchoring up to shoot the breeze. If I'm in a boat, I want to be running, and my thoughts on a bimini on a performance boat is well known on this site.

mrfixxall
03-17-2010, 12:40 PM
If your ordering a new 22 the 496 is a discontinued engine, i would opt for either a hp500 efi or the new 502..Also Chevy is not making big blocks anymore, theirs plenty of room for the ls style engines :)

If you do end up with a 496 i would be Leary about it for warranty issues with the lack of limited parts left over on the shelves..

VetteLT193
03-17-2010, 01:05 PM
If your ordering a new 22 the 496 is a discontinued engine, i would opt for either a hp500 efi or the new 502..Also Chevy is not making big blocks anymore, theirs plenty of room for the ls style engines :)

If you do end up with a 496 i would be Leary about it for warranty issues with the lack of limited parts left over on the shelves..

I think the 500 EFI is gone too. 525 is base Merc racing now.

I agree 100% though. It would suck to have one of the last 496's.

Funboy
03-17-2010, 02:34 PM
All thanks for the info.
As I will either be on a mooring or on my lift ,the idea is to not have to begin every outing with an excursion to a gas dock which on weekends can be a hassle. We quite often run 100 mile round trips and don't care to "run out of fuel in the channel". Don't want to plan my boating around fuel stops.

Roasting under Florida sun ain't my cup of tea either. I have a vintage sports car with a cut down windshield and as much as I enjoy it, some days I can't wait to get out of it. What ever floats your boat. Gimme shelter and a cold beverage.

Interesting info on the powerplant change. Checked the Mercruiser Site and only the 496's are shown. Do you have any sites with more info?
Thanks,
Funboy

mrfixxall
03-17-2010, 02:47 PM
All thanks for the info.
As I will either be on a mooring or on my lift ,the idea is to not have to begin every outing with an excursion to a gas dock which on weekends can be a hassle. We quite often run 100 mile round trips and don't care to "run out of fuel in the channel". Don't want to plan my boating around fuel stops.

Roasting under Florida sun ain't my cup of tea either. I have a vintage sports car with a cut down windshield and as much as I enjoy it, some days I can't wait to get out of it. What ever floats your boat. Gimme shelter and a cold beverage.

Interesting info on the powerplant change. Checked the Mercruiser Site and only the 496's are shown. Do you have any sites with more info?
Thanks,
Funboy

http://www.mercuryracing.com/sterndrives/

the new 502 is not on their webb site yet..

BUIZILLA
03-17-2010, 03:36 PM
All thanks for the info.

Thanks,
Funboy I would suggest, strongly, that you contact Josh Stickles at > DONZIDIRECT.COM he'll be handling all the details if you decide to order one.

Barry Eller
03-17-2010, 03:59 PM
I have a bimini on my 22C. Open this link and you will find information and a couple of photos.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61169
I hope this helps.

Funboy
03-17-2010, 06:17 PM
Buzilla & Fixx:
Thanks for the info
Barry:
I like it!
Anything to make the 22C more usable and strech the enjoyment factor.
Funboy

mrfixxall
03-17-2010, 06:49 PM
Buzilla & Fixx:
Thanks for the info
Barry:
I like it!
Anything to make the 22C more usable and strech the enjoyment factor.
Funboy
ya! for a few xtra grand go for a 27 zr :)

Cuda
03-18-2010, 12:40 AM
All thanks for the info.

Thanks,
Funboy
I've lived in Florida nearly all my life, always on the water, and I've boated nearly everywhere you can in Florida, and I'm not aware of anywhere you can run 100 miles, and not pass a place for gas. Btw, on the same trip, I had 1/4 tank left.

Carl C
03-18-2010, 07:44 AM
Funboy, a few suggestions:

Insist on a new 502 Mercruiser engine and not a left over 496.

The stock fuel tank will be plenty. These boats get you to your destination in a hurry. If you are careful you will always be in range of a fuel dock.

Forget the bimini. Keep sunscreen and wide brimmed hats on board and maybe look into some other way to provide shade.

Ask the folks at Donzi if they will modify the front area of the boat to keep it open for stowage. Folks carry a lot more gear now then when these boats were designed!

Don't put a huge windshield on it. There are several options to deflect the wind from your face. Some are removable. That wind can feel good on a hot day!

Remember that these are hot rod boats. They are not practical. They do not have swim platforms, biminis or cup holders. They do carry a mystique and are a hell of a lot of fun to drive once you learn how!

Good luck, and I hope you get one.

All of the above is JMO.

VetteLT193
03-18-2010, 07:48 AM
All thanks for the info.

Thanks,
Funboy

What part of the state are you in?

gcarter
03-18-2010, 09:01 AM
Forget the bimini. Keep sunscreen and wide brimmed hats on board and maybe look into some other way to provide shade.

All of the above is JMO.

Carl doesn't live in Florida.......that's all I'll say!

Carl C
03-18-2010, 09:32 AM
Carl doesn't live in Florida.......that's all I'll say!

George, I do understand the need for sun protection in the south or south-west. I also feel that a bimini and the associated hardware detracts from the "classic" lines of these beautiful boats! Maybe there is a bimini that can be totally removed when not in use or maybe a sunshade can be used instead and it will fit up front if that area is opened up. Sorry Barry, I don't like biminis on these boats. I didn't even want to mount a fold down vhf antenna on mine so I use a handheld. While I did a lot of customizing on my boat I did nothing to change it's appearance other than the performance hardware on the stern.

Barry Eller
03-18-2010, 09:51 AM
George, I do understand the need for sun protection in the south or south-west. I also feel that a bimini and the associated hardware detracts from the "classic" lines of these beautiful boats! Maybe there is a bimini that can be totally removed when not in use or maybe a sunshade can be used instead and it will fit up front if that area is opened up. Sorry Barry, I don't like biminis on these boats. I didn't even want to mount a fold down vhf antenna on mine so I use a handheld. While I did a lot of customizing on my boat I did nothing to change it's appearance other than the performance hardware on the stern.

That's OK Carl...as George said, you don't live in Florida. My Bimini can be removed in less than 1 minute with the quick release pins. Also you probably have not had to go to the Dr. and be treated for skin cancer either. Like Vette stated about the Summer Days in Northwest Florida...90/100* degrees and not a breath of wind...Shade is Good! :cool: :cool!: :umbrella::umbrella: :sombrero::angryfire:

VetteLT193
03-18-2010, 12:08 PM
accon makes some nice flush Bimini mounts. http://www.acconmarine.com/c-10-quick-release-bimini-hinges.aspx I plan on using one of these when I get a bimini for the 28.

Before I moved to N. Florida I would have been saying the same thing as Carl. No Bimini's on a classic!

Up here though it is brutal. A Bimini is the difference in using the boat on a hot day Vs. staying at home. I would much rather be boating than anywhere else so I'll roll with looking a bit less sexy on those days.

Barry Eller
03-18-2010, 12:29 PM
A Bimini is the difference in using the boat on a hot day Vs. staying at home. I would much rather be boating than anywhere else so I'll roll with looking a bit less sexy on those days.

LMAO!!! My Dr. told me if I don't take better care of my skin I would not have anywhere to hang my glasses! Talk about not being sexy...no ears or nose!:eek:

Pismo
03-18-2010, 01:13 PM
I agree, INSIST on the new 8.2L HO 430hp 502 Mercruiser motor. Anything else can be changed easily.

Pismo
03-18-2010, 01:20 PM
as for a bimini...Here is a good one...

VetteLT193
03-18-2010, 01:59 PM

and what a perfect windshield comparison picture!

Tony
03-18-2010, 09:36 PM
That yellow umbrella was the prototype.
Here is the upgraded, properly matched version of a "Michigan bimini".

Pismo
03-19-2010, 05:34 AM
That yellow umbrella was the prototype.
Here is the upgraded, properly matched version of a "Michigan bimini".

Awesome...So stylish..

mattyboy
03-19-2010, 07:08 AM
sorry this all reminds me of a joke

a lawyer , an engineer and a priest are on a golf course for their normal tee time.
they notice the group ahead of them is very slow ,wondering all over the course.
this goes on for a long time when they are loosing their cool. The course mgr. comes up and apologizes . he explains that the group ahead of them is the local school for the blind golf team. with that the priest says, that it is inspirational and will say a prayer for them and for him that he lost his cool so quickly. hearing that the engineer says well maybe i could help by inventing some kind of electronic beacon so they could echo locate the hole.
now the priest and the engineer look to their lawyer friend to hear how this profound expierence has effected him. the lawyer without missing a beat says WTF can't they play at night!!!!!!! ;)

if the sun is that bad down there BOAT at NIGHT !!! :p :) ;) :rlol:

Just Say N20
03-19-2010, 07:37 AM

Pismo,

In the picture you posted, it looks like Jeff's Red 22. I'm going to guess the yellow "bimini" is Tony's boat, and the honey/blue 22 is Brad's.

Whose boat is the last white/red Donzi, and where was that picture taken?

gcarter
03-19-2010, 07:45 AM
if the sun is that bad down there BOAT at NIGHT !!! :p :) ;) :rlol:

Yeah Matty, and I like to do my boating when you're freezing your ass off!:yes::)

Cuda
03-19-2010, 08:18 AM

I do live in Florida, and I have to agree with Carl. A bimini just kills the look of a classic. If you feel the need for a bimini and a cuddy, there are plenty of Searays and Bayliners for sale.

gcarter
03-19-2010, 09:47 AM
I do live in Florida, and I have to agree with Carl. A bimini just kills the look of a classic. If you feel the need for a bimini and a cuddy, there are plenty of Searays and Bayliners for sale.

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do!

Tony
03-19-2010, 09:56 AM
Pismo,

In the picture you posted, it looks like Jeff's Red 22. I'm going to guess the yellow "bimini" is Tony's boat, and the honey/blue 22 is Brad's.

Whose boat is the last white/red Donzi, and where was that picture taken?

Correct on all three 22's.
The 16' on the left is Randys (gold-n-rod), currently for sale.
The pic was taken on Torch Lake quite a few years ago, I think the first year Jeff had his AE.
It was a small group, but often those are the best kind of gatherings!

:beer:

Cuda
03-19-2010, 10:54 AM
A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do!
A little 50 weight sunscreen never killed anybody! :)

mattyboy
03-19-2010, 12:41 PM
Yeah Matty, and I like to do my boating when you're freezing your ass off!:yes::)

Judging by what i just paid for a glass of orange juice, I would say we were not the only ones freezing our azzez off this winter ;)

look at the picture Parnell just posted from the miami poker run

goose down has a 100% SPF ;) :p

seriously Funboy, if you want a classic that bad build it the way you want it, a day on the water is a day on the water :yes:

gcarter
03-19-2010, 03:36 PM
.....and the last time that happened was in Dec. of '89......:nilly:
Were your kids even born yet?:wink:

mattyboy
03-19-2010, 04:43 PM
yup

Joe was 2 ,Jamie was on the way

gero1
03-19-2010, 11:51 PM
a 415hp 502 will burn about 47-50 gal at wot(4700-5100rpm) for 86-90 miles and this is fact. i did it 3 yrs ago at aoth....the motor has never run the same since, it seems a little tired. i would go with the stock tank

BUIZILLA
03-20-2010, 07:38 AM
a 415hp 502 will burn about 47-50 gal at wot(4700-5100rpm) for 86-90 miles and this is fact. i did it 3 yrs ago at aoth....the motor has never run the same since, it seems a little tired. i would go with the stock tank change the valve springs... before it changes your wallet...