PDA

View Full Version : A familiar scene to car restoration guys

Conquistador_del_mar
03-16-2010, 01:37 AM
I blew the last 383 stroked engine in my 1980 Vette so I am about to install this one. I have just about finished installing the March system and other components from the old engine on this 383 making around 475HP. Does anyone have a suggestion on the simplest rev limiter so I won't have to do this again? Bill

MOP
03-16-2010, 04:08 AM
This is a sweet one fully adjustable!

http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/drl/default.aspx

The Hedgehog
03-16-2010, 06:33 AM
Pretty work there Bill. I really want to do a Vette like that.

MSD soft touch?

VetteLT193
03-16-2010, 07:38 AM
I was thinking MSD too but the whole ignition. They have a little 'chip' that plugs into the side that sets the limit. you basically find the number you want to limit it to and plug it in.

BUIZILLA
03-16-2010, 09:11 AM
off topic... kinda.... funny story...

1990ish - my then next door neighbor bought a new Mustang GT conv with a stick... his kid overreved it one night, missed a gear, and trashed the engine after a few months... father was a performance guy, and very cool guy, EXXON-Mobil Oil Executive... he had a 347 built with a supercharger from a local Ford guru, guru wanted it kept under 4500 rpm for a couple thousand miles or so... the father got a MSD soft touch from me and we pilled it for 6200 on the high side, in the mean time he also got a MSD rpm switch from me and we triggered it off the tach to blow the horn at 4500... :shades: that engine stayed together, but it was hilarious the first time the kid came home complaining about the horn blowing every time he shifted gears... we never told the kid what we did...

Conquistador_del_mar
03-17-2010, 02:12 AM
Thanks for the thoughts guys. That horn trick was pretty cool - lol. Bill

drm101
03-21-2010, 07:48 PM
The MSD 6AL is the one with the built in soft touch rev limiter. It also fires the plug several times below 2000 rpm or so which helps with low speed misfire especially when you have a lopey cam. The only negative I noticed was plugs don't last as long since they fire more, but you know how to replace them yourself, and they are cheap, so who cares.
Regards,
Dean

mrfixxall
03-21-2010, 09:12 PM
I blew the last 383 stroked engine in my 1980 Vette so I am about to install this one. I have just about finished installing the March system and other components from the old engine on this 383 making around 475HP. Does anyone have a suggestion on the simplest rev limiter so I won't have to do this again? Bill

Call me bill,i have a brand new rev control in the box..60 bux shipped to you..

fegettes
03-21-2010, 11:06 PM
Bill,

That is a sweet looking engine.

Funny, I don't seem to remember a 1980 Corvette rear end looking like that. Nice!

I too have a little stroker motor in my 70 Stingray, and love the performance.

Steve

Conquistador_del_mar
03-22-2010, 01:22 AM

You have a deal. Thanks!

Conquistador_del_mar
03-22-2010, 01:28 AM
Bill,

That is a sweet looking engine.

Funny, I don't seem to remember a 1980 Corvette rear end looking like that. Nice!

I too have a little stoker motor in my 70 Stingray, and love the performance.

Steve

Yep, Steve. I bonded a custom fiberglass rear end and front end on it - no urethane pieces and no bonding lines. It has a continuous body from front to rear and no badges. Steeroid steering system, 700R4 custom tranny, 3:54 rear end, Hooker headers and sidepipes, etc. Another labor of love (sometimes hate - lol). Bill

ITTLFLI
03-22-2010, 07:36 AM
Great looking power plant!

off topic... kinda.... funny story...

1990ish - my then next door neighbor bought a new Mustang GT conv with a stick... his kid overreved it one night, missed a gear, and trashed the engine after a few months... father was a performance guy, and very cool guy, EXXON-Mobil Oil Executive... he had a 347 built with a supercharger from a local Ford guru, guru wanted it kept under 4500 rpm for a couple thousand miles or so... the father got a MSD soft touch from me and we pilled it for 6200 on the high side, in the mean time he also got a MSD rpm switch from me and we triggered it off the tach to blow the horn at 4500... :shades: that engine stayed together, but it was hilarious the first time the kid came home complaining about the horn blowing every time he shifted gears... we never told the kid what we did...

I just spit my coffee all over the place! That's great!

Conquistador_del_mar
03-29-2010, 11:26 PM

Thanks, Mike. I just got it in today's mail. I presume my check made it your way. Bill

smidgen too
03-30-2010, 01:09 AM
Bill sounds like we have the same amount of toys. :beer: I have a 372cu small block in my 59 vette that I had for 42 years. I'm running the MSD #6 with soft touch for about 15 years, it works great .:yes:

Conquistador_del_mar
03-30-2010, 02:26 AM
Bill sounds like we have the same amount of toys. :beer: I have a 372cu small block in my 59 vette that I had for 42 years. I'm running the MSD #6 with soft touch for about 15 years, it works great .:yes:

What a great looking car! Yep, I really should have added an MSD system before now. Bill

fegettes
03-30-2010, 09:20 AM
I could use some education on the MSD Ignition. I am running the stock ignition in my Stingray with a stroker. What would an MSD Ignition do for it?

mrfixxall
03-30-2010, 11:09 AM
Thanks, Mike. I just got it in today's mail. I presume my check made it your way. Bill

yes i got it:) just have to find time to go to the bank..good luck bill! You should have no problems from here out..

put the 3k chip in first to try it out then switch to one of the larger rpm chip..

Conquistador_del_mar
03-30-2010, 12:11 PM
yes i got it:) just have to find time to go to the bank..good luck bill! You should have no problems from here out..

put the 3k chip in first to try it out then switch to one of the larger rpm chip..

Thanks, Mike. I was sort of wondering why they included a 3k chip. I read that there are two ways to hook it to the HEI depending on how the engine runs at maximum RPM. That will make it much easier to rig it the best way. Bill