PDA

View Full Version : Donzi GT 21 TWIN - $3300 (not mine)

Petee390
03-15-2010, 03:13 PM
Twin engine GT 21. Cool boat. Looks like a good project for someone, I would have been interested if it was not so far from me. Hope someone here picks it up.
http://spokane.craigslist.org/boa/1644538722.html

Just Say N20
03-15-2010, 04:01 PM
Beat me to it! This looks like a great opportunity.

rocksmann
03-15-2010, 09:36 PM
can 2 v8's be installed in this boat. my x 18 is almost done and would like another project thanks for your input Bill

superhatz
03-15-2010, 10:38 PM
I hope someone buys it and totally destroys its originality.

silverghost
03-15-2010, 10:58 PM
Axel & Bill
Here is your next project !

You both know you really wanted a twin !

Looks like a great project at a fantastic price !

Conquistador_del_mar
03-16-2010, 02:11 AM
I hope someone buys it and totally destroys its originality.

Aaron,
How about it? This one would be a great candidate for a restoration by you. You could make it like new for very little. The seller is practically giving it away. :yes: Bill

gcarter
03-16-2010, 06:02 AM
The last one of those on here for sale was immaculate and was going for $17K and it was twin SBF's.
The old listing may still be around.

superhatz
03-16-2010, 02:23 PM
Aaron,
How about it? This one would be a great candidate for a restoration by you. You could make it like new for very little. The seller is practically giving it away. :yes: Bill

Can't save 'em all Bill....:nilly:

axelkloehn
03-16-2010, 03:23 PM
Axel & Bill
Here is your next project !

You both know you really wanted a twin !

Looks like a great project at a fantastic price !

Sh..t, you're right, this should be mine... guess it is this one (--> pics)

axelkloehn
03-16-2010, 03:28 PM
...works with 2 V8s :yes::yes::yes:

Just Say N20
03-16-2010, 03:36 PM
I think that boat would be great with twin I6 engines.

For $3,300, you almost have to buy it, just because. . . .:eek:

BUIZILLA
03-16-2010, 03:44 PM
you can't break those Volvo 6 cylinders

axelkloehn
03-16-2010, 03:50 PM
...why must I live somewhere far, far away :garfield::garfield::garfield:

gcarter
03-16-2010, 04:38 PM
...why must I live somewhere far, far away :garfield::garfield::garfield:
Axel, elsewhere there was a thread about container ships......
I took a look at their website and it's not that expensive to get it there!
Go for it!
You'd have one of a kind in Europe!

silverghost
03-16-2010, 05:25 PM
Axel:
I see a new sideline for you here.
There have been many great performance boat deals here in the USA in this very soft slow market.
The container idea is a great one for you to get boats to Germany.
A 40' container to Germany costs about $3000. US .or possibly less .
Is there any market for these type of boats in Germany ?
If so ~
It might pay you to look into this as a side business !

smidgen too
03-17-2010, 01:11 AM
Can't save 'em all Bill....:nilly:
Aaron tell me about it, I have tried. With my latest Donzi addition I'm at four. :bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk: But this one is cool.:cool:

axelkloehn
03-17-2010, 03:12 AM
Axel, elsewhere there was a thread about container ships......
I took a look at their website and it's not that expensive to get it there!
Go for it!
You'd have one of a kind in Europe!

Thanks, you're all right, it's a good deal and containers are not so expansive. But there is still so much work left om my GT21 I won't finish it before may/june...
Well, and it's the missing space and of course there is a wife keeping an eye of what I am doing, she'll kill me if... :wink:
Anyway:
The business is already running here in germany, many guys are bringing US cars over here and trying to sell with profit because of the cheap dollar -> this market will break soon! Boats are a different story- it's not a big market for american powerboats here at the moment.

JOHN SCIBERRAS
03-19-2010, 11:55 AM
That GT-21 with the twin V-8 engines is a great looking boat. I had a friend who had a GT-21 with twin Holman& moody Ford 351 V-8 engines Coupled to remote V-drives and inborards. The drive system looked similar to my 1967 28 Sportsman. What a Great boat. Unfortunately I never was able to get out for a ride in it. I believe he sold it to someone in the Muskokas and then I think it was sold into Europe. I often wondered if it would have been rear end heavy similar to a twin V-8 Donzi Doral I was in (slow boat). That GT-21 was a conversation piece though.

ZekesterbluH3
03-29-2010, 03:25 AM
anyone have any idea on the performance of this with the twin I6s? with V8s?

Did this one sell??

JOHN SCIBERRAS
03-29-2010, 11:27 AM
I have been arround boats for a long time and spent my youth to present day hanging out at marinas. One thing I have learned over the years is that one of the worst things you can do to any boat is to under power it or install bad power combinations. With twin engine boats the second engine does not always provide the best performance vs a single larger engine. You have to consider the extra weight, affect on balance, drag of the extra outdrive etc. Now to your question, I would think the twin straight six volvo 's would fall under the categorie of too heavy and too low on hp and torque. That is a bad power combination which may explain the low asking price. A single large V-8 or twin small block V-8's would give better performance with the same weight. What do you other Tech heads think, John.

BUIZILLA
03-29-2010, 11:59 AM
I think those Volvo 170 engines, tuned right, would push that boat well into the high 50's, they are STRONG engines..

they make GREAT power, very economical

I had one in a 17' Samarai ski boat that flew... I had to buy a carb synch tool (Stromberg vacuum ball kit?) from JC Whitney to tune the carbs correctly after I rebuilt them, and then set the linkage correctly, but once I did that it ran absolutely flawlessly...

mattyboy
03-29-2010, 12:59 PM
The blue twin gt is awesome but having worked on a 351w in a 16 I would say that plugs changes on those 8 cyls that face each other are near impossible. I can only Imagine the gt with the twin 427's shoehorned into it was a word beyond tight.

would it be realistic to try and get around 200 hp out of one of those 6's?? if so that's around 400 hp in a pkg that gives you the redundancy for power to go offshore and still gives you the economy and ease of service over twin 8's a pair of Grizz's 19 on it and I bet it will scoot right along

BUIZILLA
03-29-2010, 01:24 PM
you could easily have built a 292 Chevy 6 cyl up to about 240-250 hp back then with a Clifford 4bbl intake and a 390 or 450 Holley, Howard cam, pay attention on balancing.... a friend of mine did that to a pair of 292's and had them in a 25 Bertram open fish as inboards, ran pretty good... another friend put a pair in a 23 Formula long deck that came with 250 inch Merc 160's, and it flat hauled ass.. you just can't break a 292

JOHN SCIBERRAS
03-29-2010, 04:15 PM
I agree that twin engines can be a good option if you need the the added saftey of having a second engine or to improve close quarter manuverability. However, if this is not the case what about the maintanance cost of two engines and outdrives such as in northern climates where winterization is necessary. More engines higher cost. I seem to remember a thread on this site about GT-21's being slow. Someone on that thread mentioned a GT-21 in michigan that had been repowered with a high HP big block that ran in the 80's. Why mess around trying to up the hp on two old sixes. Just food for thought , John.

CaribouLou
03-29-2010, 04:23 PM
Did anyone pick this thing up?

2donzi2
03-29-2010, 04:41 PM
I would have to say that the in line chevy 6's deliver a great amount of torque, run well and are virtually indestructable. I've never run a volvo 6 but I know they are reliable. I think the boat would be cool with the in line 6's and if the drive wasn't so far it would probably be on its way to Palm Coast.

Sweet Cheekz
03-29-2010, 06:16 PM
Someone on that thread mentioned a GT-21 in michigan that had been repowered with a high HP big block that ran in the 80's. .

And soon there will be another one in Michigan:shades:

Parnell

Just Say N20
03-29-2010, 08:10 PM
And soon there will be another one in Michigan:shades:

Parnell

That will run in the 80s?!:

:lol9:

Craig S
03-30-2010, 11:19 AM
I agree that twin engines can be a good option if you need the the added saftey of having a second engine or to improve close quarter manuverability.

Also, don't forget all those guages and controls to look at! The console looks much better with twins. Much.

Sweet Cheekz
03-30-2010, 03:46 PM
That will run in the 80s?!:

:lol9:

Once on the way up and once on the way down :shades:

Parnell

Vertigo
04-01-2010, 09:39 PM
Sold.

Will be restored to original.:cool!:

superhatz
04-01-2010, 10:53 PM
Sold.
Will be restored to original.:cool!:

Happy...:)

Sweet Cheekz
04-02-2010, 07:34 AM
CAn't wait to see that
Parnell

Vertigo
04-03-2010, 08:40 PM
Me Too!

Looking for an original style windshield without the vertical support in the sides. Any other history or information about these models would be appreciated. :confused:

superhatz
04-04-2010, 09:09 PM
Me Too!
Looking for an original style windshield without the vertical support in the sides. Any other history or information about these models would be appreciated. :confused:

Looks like this 21 GT has a vertical support too?....maybe they had both?

2donzi2
04-04-2010, 09:19 PM

Friend of the family had that same boat, same color combo, 350 TRS back in 75-76. Awesome looking boat.

Conquistador_del_mar
04-04-2010, 10:24 PM

Aaron,
The boat you showed is my old GT with a vent window - thus the vertical support. The other GT I once had did not have the opening vent window - picture in the link. Bill

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51134

Sweet Cheekz
04-05-2010, 08:05 AM
Vertigo
I'm pretty sure I have what you need I will check today and get some pics
Parnell

JOHN SCIBERRAS
04-05-2010, 11:33 AM
I have an original sales brochure for a GT-21 showing the post in the windshield which I assumed was for vent windows . The one thing I always disliked in my GT-21 was the lack of vent windows . As you sit down low in the boat the heat in the front is brutal in hot weather both at low and high speed. I wiish I had the vent window style winsheild. If your boat has them and you don't want them I would be interested in buying the two side portions. I think both styles were offered possibly on different years, John.

Vertigo
04-05-2010, 01:25 PM
Vertigo
I'm pretty sure I have what you need I will check today and get some pics
Parnell

Thanks Parnell!

Vertigo
04-05-2010, 01:27 PM
I have an original sales brochure for a GT-21 showing the post in the windshield which I assumed was for vent windows . The one thing I always disliked in my GT-21 was the lack of vent windows . As you sit down low in the boat the heat in the front is brutal in hot weather both at low and high speed. I wiish I had the vent window style winsheild. If your boat has them and you don't want them I would be interested in buying the two side portions. I think both styles were offered possibly on different years, John.

Hi John,
This one came without a windshield. Holes are there, and some winsheild parts in cardboard, but not correct for the boat. Maybe fits a classic?
Rob