PDA

View Full Version : Cooling hoses

brwn234
03-15-2010, 09:18 AM
I want to replace my raw water intake hose and the hoses from the thermostat to the manifolds. The mercruiser oe molded hoses are super expensive for what they are. Can I just use hose by the foot thats not molded. Will I have any issues with routing them or will they just not be as tight to the engine?

How long is the intake hose? What size are the manifold hoses, 1"?

MOP
03-15-2010, 09:27 AM
If you are running a raw cooled setup you need decent hoses due to the higher pressures then experienced in an automotive or closed cooling setup, regular;ar car hoses will work but do not last near as long as the right stuff. You can save a buck by buying Sierra hoses in fact their whole product line is as good as Merc but way cheaper. Find a marine supplier that handle their stuff.

Phil

brwn234
03-15-2010, 09:31 AM
I was defenitley going to use marine rated hose just questioning the need for the molded hose.

VetteLT193
03-15-2010, 09:46 AM
I was defenitley going to use marine rated hose just questioning the need for the molded hose.

If you have room for regular hose it is fine. I think the main reason Merc uses molded hoses is to keep the size of the engine down to maximize the applications.

gcarter
03-15-2010, 10:06 AM
Most auto parts stores have a molded hose catalog that is catagorized by size, length, and form, also they're illustrated.
If you have the old hoses, or a discription, you should be able to get anything you want.

brwn234
03-15-2010, 01:14 PM
I think I'm just going to get some marine hose by the foot/inch through Dana Marine. How long should I get for the intake hose, 48"? What size id are the manifold hoses, 1"?

MOP
03-15-2010, 01:27 PM
George the problem with automotive hose is the majority is just two plies, standard marine is three ply. You need the added plies to control the expansion from the pressures developed, I have five ply wire wound on almost all of my system. A burst hose can spray a bilge down very quickly and leave you stranded.

Phil

gcarter
03-15-2010, 01:38 PM
I think I'm just going to get some marine hose by the foot/inch through Dana Marine. How long should I get for the intake hose, 48"? What size id are the manifold hoses, 1"?
You can also look fora local rubber/hose dealer that offers all kinds of hoses. For instance, in Orlando, there's Amazon Rubber.
I just looked and I have some 1 1/4" hard wall wire reinforced hose left over from the Minx. They also carry 4" exhaust hose.
Even though this is a "no name" imported hose, it's very tough stuff.
It may save some money.

joseph m. hahnl
03-15-2010, 02:29 PM
This guy out of Maine has top Grade Marine hose. It has helical wire through out so you can bend it with out kinking.
NOT IMPORTED MADE IN USA:salute:

http://www.adedevelopment.net/CartV3-rubco/results3.asp?CategoryID=1

http://www.adedevelopment.net/CartV3-rubco/Search.asp

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45488&d=1241133220

brwn234
03-27-2010, 05:38 PM
I just want to make sure the manifold hoses are 1". I was looking at some 1" hose at West Marine today and it just seemed really big. I don't wanna buy anythign I can't use.

gcarter
03-27-2010, 07:31 PM
You could buy some inexpensive calipers at Sears, or Harbour Freight. They're always useful, And you'll know for sure.

handfulz28
03-29-2010, 10:05 AM
When you say "raw water intake" hose, do you mean the one from the transom to the raw water pump? If so, remember that hose may be at vacuum, at least at start up and/or on the hose. It needs to be a reinforced hose.

Chances are the "off the shelf" hose is going to be thicker walled because it's well....cheaper. If you can find a local distributor for Land N Sea, you might be able to get a decent price on either Sierra or OE Merc hose. I think you mentioned you're back in Va now? Too bad, Dave at Boat Owners Warehouse on Sample always seemed to offer very fair pricing. Good guy too...one day I was in such a hurry for a hose he arranged for me to pick it up at Land N Sea.