PDA

View Full Version : Boat care for moored boats

MattM
03-10-2010, 09:16 PM
I'm going to keep the '18 on the dock all summer this year. Kind of hard on it, but I just really want to use it more.

What is the best treatment or products to preserve the gelcoat under the waterline, on the deck, and also upholstery? I am hoping there might be better products out there nowadays than good ol' wax.

thanks for any advice, Matt

silverghost
03-10-2010, 10:41 PM
Don't forget to make sure all your outdrive's Zincs are new and electrically bonded to protect your underwater parts from electrolytic damge.
Are you using bottom paint ?

CHACHI
03-11-2010, 05:49 AM
Are you going to be in salt of fresh water?

It makes a difference in the anode material....

zinc..............salt
magnesium....fresh

Ken

Pismo
03-11-2010, 06:00 AM
I'm going to keep the '18 on the dock all summer this year. Kind of hard on it, but I just really want to use it more.
What is the best treatment or products to preserve the gelcoat under the waterline, on the deck, and also upholstery? I am hoping there might be better products out there nowadays than good ol' wax.
thanks for any advice, Matt

90% of all the damage that has happened to my boats over the years has happened at the dock with the key off. Tie it so I does not touch anything ever regardless of wind and waves. Make sure it is not in a position to sink in a storm. Bumpers do nothing. Best yet, find a way to lift it out of the water simply and quickly. 18s have good lifting eyes. My 22 hangs all summer and I can launch in less than a minute. Once physically safe then worry about sun, salt, cleanliness, etc. Docks are brutal. A real mooring, a buoy that you tie to, are far better but a pain to get to. Depends on where you are.

Walt. H.
03-11-2010, 11:07 AM
I leave my 27' Chris Cr. in fresh water all summer and tie it off with spring lines fore & aft portside with two more on the starboard side, and she will not rub the dock at all. There's plenty of slack to allow for up & down wave action when some yahoo violates the 4-mph no wake zone, because all lines are at angled lengths Not tied short and straight which restricts movement.

VetteLT193
03-11-2010, 12:01 PM
I have had no success below the water with any types of wax or polish.

Above the water line you should consider a full top end boat cover. better than nothing.

I suggest taking the boat out of the water at least once mid-summer for a week or so to let it dry out and to clean the bottom properly.

Walt. H.
03-11-2010, 12:24 PM
Yes a cover and wash & wax will keep things topside nice, and If he uses it at least once twice a week the bottom will stay clean.
A weekly brushing along the waterline to keep the slime line off will be all he'll need to do to keep it looking garage kept clean, and of course making sure that the zinc or magnesium anodes are doing their job protecting the drive assy.

Pismo
03-11-2010, 01:50 PM
I agree a full mooring cover is nice. Cover the whole perimeter to below the rub rail. Great protection and easy to put on, easier than snap covers I feel.

Oconee Bob
03-11-2010, 02:44 PM
:eek:Mooring whips(2). Do a search at Overtons. If your water level doesn't change much or your dock floats these will keep your boat away from the dock and are secure. Or.......you could lay three blow-up dolls against the rub rail on your dock to protect your boat and dock and have plenty of onlookers scoping out your stuff!

The Hedgehog
03-11-2010, 03:46 PM
I have had no success below the water with any types of wax or polish.
Above the water line you should consider a full top end boat cover. better than nothing.
I suggest taking the boat out of the water at least once mid-summer for a week or so to let it dry out and to clean the bottom properly.

Agreed on the cover and taking it out.

I'd probably pull it at least every 6 weeks if possible. That's not too much work. I would be more worried about blistering than anything. Some never have a problem and some do.

The bottom scum depends on the water. We have some nice clean lakes around here that you can hardly tell after a week. On the Ohio River it seemed like I was growing bottom scum after a day.

Ghost
03-11-2010, 04:02 PM
2 coats of wax all the way to the keel helps. (The second coat may do nothing other than get the spots I missed in the first coat, I dunno.)

But it keeps the brown stains from getting in the gel over time, and makes it absolutely easy to take a light soft brush to the waterline and clean it back up. I'd do that every time I visited the boat. Takes less than 2 minutes and makes a world of difference if the gel has been waxed. It's crazy easy if you have a boathook that fits the brush.

A midseason pull and re-wax is probably all you'll need to keep it pristine I think.

Mckillop
03-11-2010, 04:43 PM
If possible, if you can pull it out every week or every other week for a quick second and scrub the bottom with a brush. There is nothing that hurts resale value like a nasty sludge line. Also, if you are in warm water, try to jump in once a week with a mit in hand and give a quick scrub down to the hull.

Pismo
03-11-2010, 06:14 PM
If possible, if you can pull it out every week or every other week for a quick second and scrub the bottom with a brush. There is nothing that hurts resale value like a nasty sludge line. Also, if you are in warm water, try to jump in once a week with a mit in hand and give a quick scrub down to the hull.

Like you said, you can just do it in the water. Less grows on the bottom, more on the sides, more sun.

Fluffy Foo-Foo
03-11-2010, 06:22 PM
:eek:Mooring whips(2). Do a search at Overtons. If your water level doesn't change much or your dock floats these will keep your boat away from the dock and are secure. Or.......you could lay three blow-up dolls against the rub rail on your dock to protect your boat and dock and have plenty of onlookers scoping out your stuff!

Pics please.:lookaroun:

Rob M
03-11-2010, 06:55 PM
Pics please.:lookaroun:
These worked well in lots of chop from wind and boat traffic.
If you park your boat all summer be sure to inspect drive and shift bellows, and all thru-hull fittings for small leaks. Small leaks sink big boats!! Been there twice.

MattM
03-11-2010, 11:15 PM
Thanks everybody, good advice. I have mooring whips, they work great. I'm in the willamette river and scum grows real fast. I'll cover it most of the time, but figure I will put whatever products on that will help too. Nothing more high tech than wax?

Pismo
03-12-2010, 05:20 AM
Rivers are great, nice and calm, minimal storm waves as well. Some boats going by will make some huge wakes now and then. Rivers are also a great place for a lift system of some type like the float on ones, etc. Getting the boat out of the water would solve almost all your damage from waves, storms, growth concerns. The ultimate solution if you can figure something out.

I docked a boat in water for 25+ years and installed lifts finally about 5 years ago. The difference is like night and day. You sleep well no matter how harsh the storm going through is and the boat stays as clean as the day you launch. Once you get a solid, fast, totally reliable lifting method, any worries are gone.

VetteLT193
03-12-2010, 06:46 AM
Thanks everybody, good advice. I have mooring whips, they work great. I'm in the willamette river and scum grows real fast. I'll cover it most of the time, but figure I will put whatever products on that will help too. Nothing more high tech than wax?

Zaino is the longest lasting 'wax' I have ever used. They also have a quick detail spray that actually adds a protective layer that I use frequently between the big jobs.

Walt. H.
03-12-2010, 09:55 PM
Rivers are great, nice and calm, minimal storm waves as well.
I wish I could say that, but I guess you've never seen the NY, Hudson River especially towards the end of the summer. :yes: